2020-02-19 11:22:35

the recent bsg post struck me pretty deep, and I was thinking: do you think my games are mediocre? if you do, tell me why it is so I can make better ones. Currently I have 3 ideas for a game. a food trading game, a game called sound swirl, and a tower defense-ish game called zombie defense.
Sound swirl is where you listen to a sound swirl around the stereo field and try to hit the space bar when it is at the right point. also, in higher levels, the sound's pitch and volume may also have to be put at the right values.
in the food trade game, you get online and make foods, and you have to work with the rising and falling demand for food.
in zombie defence, a group of zombies walk from their starting position all the way down to you -- if they succeed, you lose. you have to think of a strategical way to place 5 towers. you can pick between sniper towers, machinegun towers, cannon towers, poison towers, etc.
Which one would you like me to try and develop? IMO these are all reasonably original ideas, but give me your opinion. also, if you have an opinion other than that, like I should do something like undead strike in stead and you'd be pleased with that then just say so. because on one hand I have the people that want me not to discontinue games, and on the other however, I have people who  want me to think of new and better games before I release something. And since I already several projects out there, I want to know. do any of these ideas catch your eye? or perhapse something that I have done in the past will suit your need better. tell me here.

2020-02-19 12:06:32

food sim

You see a signature that is 800 characters and 8 lines long. You quickly report it to the administrators

2020-02-19 12:23:32

sound swirl? descryption sounds way way lower than mediocre.
Food trade? well, if textgame without any sounds , no.
Zombie defense? again, only with sounds it would be interesting, not a stupid text version.
Also, what about your cookie clicker?

2020-02-19 12:29:34

You mix high rate of output with creativity in a way which is desperately needed. If we can't afford the AAA style of game development, then we need the Creative Writing style of game development, and one gets good at writing by writing a lot, and learning from the process.
Aprone did the same thing before Swamp devoured his output. When Nyanchan arrived, it was not to promote BK1, but to share a huge collection of games, of which BK1 was but one.
The counterpoints are AHC and VGStorm's games, which seem to go with a more AAA-inspired indy style of development. I don't think one is better than the other, per se, especially since games are far more complex to develop than literature (especially if the game has a story and dialog, since that embeds literature in the process).
Better to have both, and let the results speak for themselves. After all, AAA mainstream games and good indy games coexist just fine.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2020-02-19 15:49:29 (edited by Lucas1 2020-02-19 15:50:21)

The food simulator sounds most original. We already have versions of the other two games, but I can't think of any good food games.

2020-02-19 16:54:28

food sim

2020-02-19 17:39:12

me disagree with the fact about text games are shit without sounds, no, defenetly not

2020-02-19 17:40:56

hey!
I would like to see your current project since I am not avair of them.
and yes, food sim sounds interesting.
thanks

allow me to speak more,
catch me on Twitter
or, Mastodon

2020-02-19 18:05:42 (edited by amerikranian 2020-02-19 18:06:05)

I think that you should realize that you cannot pump out a game every 2 or so weeks and expect the community to be happy with the end result.
Got that? Cool, let's continue.
I think that you should bundle food sim and zombie defense into a single release. Not a single app, but release them both at the same time. Please, if making one in the terminal, do add some interesting mechanics and better writing.

2020-02-19 18:41:55

my choice is...
Cookie clicker. No seriously, make that thing as good as Orteil's cc is. Since he won't add accessibility, we'll just make it ourselves.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2020-02-19 21:48:37

FWIW, my $0.02:

I think I know how old you are, but I don't want to guess an age here so I'll leave it at that.

When I was 11 or so, I wrote an Applesoft BASIC game called Cat Quiz. It literally just asked a few questions about cats I lifted from a magazine. You'd get questions wrong if you answered with an upper-case Y instead of lower-case. It was pretty bad, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for it.

Ideally you should be able to focus on a single game for weeks or months until you can produce something solid. But that comes with age and experience, and if I'm right about your age, then it isn't fair to expect that of you, either from myself or from anyone else.

That said, I haven't played any of your games. I'm kind of picky and have high standards, so nothing personal. But if I did, then I'd try to experience them in context, and putting them in context means they're developed by someone new who is just learning the ropes. To do otherwise would be unfair to you.

So if you're having fun and learning, who cares whether your games are mediocre? In a way, I envy you, because after having written a number of games, you'll be in a better position than I am at 39, working on my second release of something I tried and failed to launch a decade or so back. smile

2020-02-19 22:20:48

Hey rory. What about merging both games together? The tower defense and the food trader.
Picture this.
An organisation, known as the Shadow, has developed a dastrdly virus. The virus turns all persons who consume the contaminants  into mindless zombies. This virus has been called V35-z, which is their 35th attempt to destroy the world. Billions of furtile land has been ravaged by the virus, and now, the most valuable resource is food. You have to build a settlement, with the soul purpose of food production. You must build  defenses from zombies and raders alike, as well as building enough houses, schools and hospitals to support your population. And most importantly of all, farms. Wind mills, bakeries, vineyards, food processing centres, etc.
HTH.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-02-19 22:27:20

at jaidon that sounds fun

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-02-19 23:40:55

Hello!  I am a big fan of battle games so the third game seemed the best idea!  However none of your games are mediocre, they are all nice and funny!  I really appreciate your work for the blind community and thank you for it!

2020-02-20 02:27:01

I'm not a developer yet, but i have lots of ideas. I think I should share them.

_____

2020-02-20 07:29:36

I think I'm going to do something like Jaidon's idea. it sounds really interesting and fun to try and develop!
I'm going to start to plan the game.

2020-02-20 08:23:33

Oh yeah, now we're gonna have food verses zombies instead of plants verses zombies. How interesting.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2020-02-20 12:54:21

Hey Rory, if you want help planning I'll be happy to shoot you a couple ideas. Until I become a dev, helping devs out will be just fine for me.

_____

2020-02-20 14:56:13

witch coding language do you use

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-02-20 17:14:45

Just try different types of projects. If they are too hard, try something simpler.

2020-02-20 18:11:54 (edited by amerikranian 2020-02-20 18:12:30)

@17. Wow dude, good job. Way to kick someone down when they haven't written a single line of code. Hang on. I have a great idea: Why won't you come up with an original concept yourself and then make a game out of it? Better yet, try to put a spin on an old concept and we'll all happily take a shit on it? Yes, that's what you just did. You know, you could suggest how to improve the game, could bring in new ideas to the table, but nope. You realize that essentially saying that the concept is boring contributes nothing to the project?
@19, I believe he uses PB (Pure Basic).

2020-02-21 10:51:10

you'd be correct @21.

2020-02-21 22:03:28 (edited by defender 2020-02-21 22:04:41)

we need more posts like number four and number 11, and less posts like number three and number 17 if we are ever to replace the old devs with new ones and keep the audio game market going.
Rory, i'm still annoyed with your past behavior, but for the record, I will happily play a console game with no sounds, as long as the mechanics are OK, and you improve your writing.
Maybe you could get another community member to help you edit your text for now?
The nice thing about text games is that you have more time for your imagination, and less time spent on coding and finding good sounds.