2020-01-25 19:47:14

Can I use my iPad or do I need a computer? Is it easier for a beginner than Python language? What can I do with it? Any guides available? Thanks

2020-01-25 20:01:53 (edited by ambro86 2020-01-25 20:07:21)

Hi, the guide for Bgt is included with the program. There is also a tutorial that guides you through creating the first games. It is good to keep in mind, however, that BGT has not been updated for years.
In other words, if you have to learn a language from scratch, my advice is to turn to Python, for example. If you study Bgt now, you risk your efforts to be in vain, as sooner or later Bgt will be completely abandoned.

2020-01-25 21:02:26

And if you need any extra help. I am here

2020-01-25 21:25:31

Well, BGT has in fact officially been abandoned already. I don't have a problem with it either, yet, as long as you only plan to make relatively basic Windows audiogames with it, where some features such as online multiplayer will either be missing completely or very poorly implemented. However, the question is when it's going to stop working completely on the most recent versions of Windows 10. There is probably no reason for that to happen for at least the next couple of years but it is going to happen one day or another. Not to mention that most antiviruses falsely flag compiled BGT executables, which is quite a pain in the neck if nothing else.
Also, it's just not a flexible enough language for anything but Windows audiogames. Don't get me wrong, I was a big fan of it for a very long time as well and I would still welcome it if it was actively developed again, so that some of its long-standing issues would be addressed and its feature set expanded, but I know it's never going to happen now. Philip has officially confirmed this.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2020-01-27 13:55:30 (edited by tunmi13 2020-01-27 13:56:17)

If you have known BGT, switching to Python, as far as I've heard, is slightly easier. However there are major differences as well, such as indenting instead of braces, or defining a function as "def" and not "void."

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2020-01-27 18:01:32

@5, I disagree. Switching from BGT to Python is still as difficult as it is if you just learn Python in terms of the syntax. BGT only helps with concepts and control flow, nothing else.

2020-01-31 07:51:15

bgt is a good starting language if you're going for something like c, java_script, etc. and switching to pb from bgt was an absolute breeze, so if you are thinking to move to that later on then bgt is also your best option. I don't know why I just find python syntax -- strange.

2020-02-03 17:45:15 (edited by tunmi13 2020-02-03 17:45:44)

But if you need any help with BGT, contact me on Skype:
tunmi1112.
I just recently helped a friend of mine correct his code and tell him his mistakes so he could fix them, and it all worked out. I should be able to do the same for you.

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2021-03-18 16:29:29

is there any audio or text guide for bgt?
where from bgt can be downloaded?

2021-03-18 16:35:39

@Farhad Ali Bhatti, the only useful guide for BGT comes with the application itself, I.e, tutorial.chm. As to where to download it, I cannot help you with that matter. Though I won't urge you to choose another language, you should consider the difficulty in even getting your hands on BGT. Also, keep in mind that if you get stuck, the only place you could ask for help on the language is here. Other more mainstream options open up places like stackoverflow, which is extremely helpful.

2021-03-18 16:35:41

BGT is officially dead, the author himself wants it to go away at this point,. and no one ever wrote tutorials for it because it sucks enough that competent programmers avoid it like the plague.  The situation is so bad that your games get flagged as viruses.  The answer is: someone might give you an unofficial link but you don't want to use it, and you're not going to find any good learning resources.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-03-18 18:09:30

@5: If you're coding the same way in Python as you did in BGT, and the hardest things for you were those, you're probably doing it wrong.

2021-03-18 18:59:08 (edited by Ethin 2021-03-18 19:00:20)

@7, um... No, BGT is not a good starter language period. The tutorial teaches you very bad programming practices and very, very few of the concepts you learn are actually universal in any way. And PB is just C with a new syntax and a much over-bloated standard library. If you want to learn how to program, actually learn a mainstream programming language instead of trying to shorten the process. Developers around the world will thank you.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-03-18 19:19:54

Um, to all of you responding to everything that's not post 9, you realize this thread is 2 months dead?

My Blog

2021-03-18 19:44:40

I... Didn't. I forgot to check the date

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-03-18 21:49:55

Although this topic has a old dayt, I would like to share my opinion if possible.
In fact, I was like many people looking for bgt lessons, and resources for it.
And I learned it to a fairly good level, we can transfer between beginner and intermediate.
After a long time, I was talking to one of my friends and I suggested to him to learn Python, and I did many attempts and research, and I started to learn.
In fact, I discovered that Python is an easy language to learn, not as some say that it is complex, and needs complex mathematical parameters etc. now i know the basicks of python, and started learn graphical interfaces.
So I advise you to go to learn Python, a very good language.
I used to think that whoever says leave bgt and go to Python is just arrogance because he knows this language, but it turned out otherwise.
Greetings.

battle.net tag abdallah#22878 the new one because i lost my previous account
my facebook

2021-03-19 08:19:09

it's almost as if people saying BGT is bad, go learn a mainstream programming language were saying that because they wanted to help and not because they hate BGT for no reason...

2021-03-19 14:36:49

@17 yes that's true

battle.net tag abdallah#22878 the new one because i lost my previous account
my facebook

2021-03-19 14:44:30

this topic is actually over a year old. It was January of 2020.
I switched to python in March of last year. I did struggle for a bit, but once I knew what I was doing, I found ways to clean my code up a lot. Truth is I still have a lot more to learn and there is still a lot I can do to clean up my code. But it is nothing like it use to be in bgt.

2021-03-19 15:17:34

Gees, you're right.

My Blog

2021-03-19 18:34:13

It’s sad, I can’t use Pythian on my iPad and I need a pc instead. What language is audio games in?

2021-03-19 18:43:12

to develop apps/games/whatever you require a computer, End of the line, If you don't have one, You're unlucky, While I think that people has made some programming languages workable via programming on the phone/whatever, But I'm pretty sure it's buggy/unreliable.

2021-03-19 18:47:45

You can't use BGT on your iPad either.  It's Windows only.  You can't program on an iPad at all end of story, save for some toy apps that don't let you make real software.  A PC is required for programming.  Though you could technically use a mac, all but maybe 1 of the programmers with a lot of experience on here will tell you that a Mac isn't very effective, and since one of those programmers literally had to write his own indentation reader neither of them has yet changed anyone's mind on this point.  So don't make that mistake unless you specifically want to do iOS apps, which you won't be experienced enough for for a long time.

Audiogames are in any language that can play audio.  Pick one.

You're spelling Python wrong.

My Blog

2021-03-19 18:52:52

yeah, And the app store is buggy for some reason, I tried downloading and installing xcode which is 12GB while i have 38GB space free, However mister, App store thought to error and say there's no enough space for xcode to be downloaded. Heh.

2021-03-19 21:54:22

@24 I've had no issues like that. macOS never says you don't have space if you do, so idk. How did you check your space? Mac is actually fine, but as Camlorn said, only if you want to do iOS. I am able to write Swift on a Mac just fine. But if I need to do anything else, I use Windows. There are coding apps for the phone, but you can't make actual software. For the iPad specifically there's Swift Playgrounds, but I hate it because it's more of a game that teaches you how to code, and my brain doesn't work that way. Even the things like Learn Swift are hard, because IOS puts opening and closing quotes, when coding only needs, and takes, standard quote characters, for example. Also, just typing

func main() {
    var name: String = "Meow"
    print("You are \(name).")
}

Would take a long time on a touch screen, even with BSI, no matter how fast you are, when I wrote that really quickly on this keyboard.