2021-10-07 16:39:48

Hello all,

just a brief little something that might be good for you youtube junkies. Apparently, Choice of Games is promoting a couple titles really heavily with Steam and a Steam, "What's next" thing has streamed a preview of "Cliffhanger." or is about to, either way, it will probably be on Youtube soon.

I have no clue what Cliffhanger is about nor do I know why the Choice of Games guys are making such a big deal about it, but thought I would let you guys know there might be some good CoG stuff to watch.

2021-10-08 13:11:19

Hello all,

got even more Choice of Games news for you. Hosted games has just released two new titles.

The first of these is "Interstellar Air Gap" Which is a game where you are working to stop an evil empire with catasclysmically powerful super-weapons as you fly through space. Because of the general vibe and the list of possible love interests, This one seems to be heavily inspired by "Star Wars" for better or worse. You have a wide range of options, including joining up with the bad guys.

The Second is, "The horror behind the walls." In this one, you play as an investigator who is very familiar with the paranormal. Nightmares have been driving you towards a facility in Germany where you must use your wits to put an end to the eldritch horror that is trapped inside. This one seems to be in the lines of many an Eldritch horror story and it doesn't mention anything about love interests which is a welcome break as some games tack it on too much.

Just thought I'd share those tidbits with you.

2021-10-15 16:22:21

Bookrage's review of "Reckless Space pirates"

Hello all,

This is my second space pirate game I've played so far as I have been working through the Choiceofgames titles. The first one I did was "Treasure seekers of Lady Luck," Which you can find earlier in this thread. This one is a free title though it isn't a particularly long title with only 6 chapters not including the prologue which is a single page with no choices to make and the epilogue.

Biases: I generally like golden age sci-fi stuff and things like space pirates and this game is loaded with them.

Genre: This game has one of the most honest of all the ads I've seen in its little preview and you are getting exactly what you see. Everything it says you can do in this game seems exactly what you can do. The game is a classic homage to a lot of old Sci-fi stuff about space pirates and weird but charming aliens.

writing: This game has you planning to make a big score as you are captured and recruited by the pirates as they want to get a rare organic material from some mushroom-like aliens. The game however largely spends half of the game with you on the ship and the second half of the game with you largely actually making the big score. Sometimes to me it seemed the time on the ship dragged and the story is definitely back-loaded.

Another thing is that the story often seems to be more of a string of cool, but sudden random events than a well-strung-together narritive. That said the individual events are really cool, they just seem to come out of nowhere and don't connect well to one another.

Another cool thing about this game is that in one instance pretty much in every chapter, you must solve puzzles. Although there are intelligence, persuasion, and hacking stats, a lot of times, it actually comes down to your choices as the puzzles must be solved by the player's intelligence rather than the character's though at times having a high intelligence stat will save you from making the wrong choice and your character will say "you are far too smart to choose that" or something of the sort.

These puzzles are difficult to solve at times for a voiceover user and sometimes reading them one word or even one letter at a time can help.  as sometimes spelling is important or the language of the aliens is factured enough to make what they say when presenting a puzzle confusing if you don't take it slow.

This also presents the first real accessibility problem I've seen in a Choice of Games title. At one point, there is an intelligence test and you have to answer some questions about shapes presented to you I think graphically that are labeled 1-4. In my case I had to guess on the questions I was asked. This wasn't enough to prevent me from scoring max on that test, but it was frustrating.

The pirates are very interesting for the most part and each of your potential allies is pretty interesting, with the exception of the love interest who is rather boring.  Each one has their own feel to them and you get a feel for them.

mechanics: This game makes heavy use of Mechanics outside of the tests they give to the player.  and the mechanics are easy to grasp. Intelligence, physical strength, Hacking, infamy and all that are easy to grasp. Even if they were not, for the most part this game actually defines each stat for the player so there is no guessing needed. Also, in many parts of the game, the obvious choices to use each skill often are doubled with a "use x skill to help the pirates" or "use X skill to help yourself, the aliens, or hurt the pirates." which has a lot of flexibility. Also, it is a good idea to make friends on the ship as the allies can be used to help you later in the game in several places.  The fact that almost all stats are clearly defined and so you don't have to guess is very helpful.

Romance: This is probably the game that has the most tacked-on love story I have seen. The love interest just starts flirting with you and there really isn't much growth over the course of the story or anything other than "do you want to keep flirting with her" and at the end "do you want to marry her?" and her personality is rather wooden and unremarkable. I thought it was sort of cool when I did the test of trust with her, but even then they didn't do a lot with it. If you want a charming relationship side-plot, this isn't the story for you.

Railroading: I have only played through once, but I know I have not read anywhere close to the story's 120k word count and my game was relatively short despite me playing all the way through to the end. The achievements also tell me of very different endings I could have gotten, other accomplishments I could've gotten. Other things I have seen in the story show me I coiuld've taken many different roads. I chose to help the pirates and the aliens negotiate a trade agreement that was good for both parties but I know I could've strongly favored one over the other or been particularly hostile to a party or both. I am eager to try new things.

achievements: this game doesn't have the monster number of achievements you often see in games like Slameed, diabolical or "Welcome to Morautown" but what it lacks in quantity it makes up for in quality. The achievements show a wide variety of real accomplishments the player can seek out in the story and they are definitely interesting enough to encourage replay. I got 7 of the 13 in one playthrough but the others will take me some time.

closing remarks: Although I will go into more detail in a future post: "Reckless Space Pirates" is better than "Treasure Seekers of Lady Luck" though the treasure seekers don't set the bar overly high. The wide variety of choices, the intrigue, and  the fun interactions make "Reckless Space Pirates" a fun title, even though it is one of the free ones. That said, the accessibility issue on some puzzles, the wooden love interest, and the chaotic cobbling together of game events mean "Reckless Space Pirates" is a good game, but far from a great one.

2021-10-15 16:35:27

Re: the accessibility issue, Choice of Games are usually receptive to screenreader issues, so you can probably email them about that or create a topic on the forum.

2021-10-16 16:55:32

Bookrage's "Treasure Seekers of Lady Luck" vs. "Reckless space pirates"

Hello all. I'm getting to the point in my Choice of games reading that I'm starting to get titles that have a lot of similarities and so I thought I'd spend a little time comparing two Space Pirate games. The first of these is "The Treasure seekers of Lady Luck" and the second is "Reckless Space Pirates."

You can find my reviews of the games as individual titles earlier in this thread, and I may not go over the games in quite as much detail as I did when I took them on seperately.

first, the games have similar premises that get you into the action. You find yourself a prisoner on a space pirate ship and are driven to work alongside the pirates either by inclination or by force. In "Treasure Seekers of Lady Luck" you find yourself doing a bunch of little jobs that lead to a larger story while the whole story of "Reckless Space Pirates" is all around one major job that spans several chapters. Both games make heavy use of a lot of what made golden age Space pirate stories great.

While "Treasure Seekers of Lady Luck" has seperate events, they are tied together better than the events of "Reckless Space pirates" and the former story doesn't have a sense of chaotic jumping. That said "Reckless Space Pirates" really keeps the stakes high as you are focussed on a very big score.

one thing beyond genre that the stories both have is a focus on puzzles that require the efforts of the player, rather than their hero to solve. In "Reckless Space Pirates" This often takes the form of logic or math problems while in "Treasure Seekers of Lady Luck" several of the locations you visit are basically giant brain teasers. I welcomed both  but as I like math and logic-related riddles, I preferred the intelectual challenges of "Reckless Space pirates."

As for the other characters in the crews you work with in the games, both games shine well with one major exception to be discussed below. The crew members have shining personalities, loveable sci-fi quirks, and even without hearing the names, you always know who is talking. Whether you are talking about the Reckless crew or the Lady Luck crew, you've got some pretty strong company there whether it is Thelsa's secret and strong will or Zoa's ruthlessness and Gau's clever mind, In both games, reltaionships with the crews also matters.

The main area where the characters fail is in the love interests in both games though they fail for different reasons. Thissi, the science officer of the "Lady Luck" is basically a green-skinned spac-babe or space-hunk depending on what gender your character prefers. Their dialog is overly sensual and the author lays it on way too thick. Nybat of the "Reckless" is exactly the opposite in terms of what is wrong with them. They are presented and there is no wind-up, not growth, and no real significance to the so-called romance in the game. If I had to pick which romantic interest I liked better, it would probably be Thissi as despite their over-sexualization, they are also capable and talented in other areas. Nybat is also capable, but doesn't have the depth Thissi does.

as for mechanics "Reckless Space pirates" is perhaps the most transparent game I've ever seen as it overtly tells you what your stats do. "Lady Luck" is not bad at it, though the personalitiy traits are not so great to figure out as for example, I didn't know being nice made you a bad liar when I tried to deceive someone in the story. There is almost no question about  how the stats in "Reckless" work but "Lady Luck"'s stats are hard to grasp in the area of personality.

As far as iI can tell, there is much more of an opening for branching stories in "Reckless Space Pirates" as there are a number of achievements that suggest this and there are a wide variety of choices I did not get the chance to make. I've played through "Treasure Seekers of Lady Luck" several times now and it seems that you largely do the same things no matter what but that the way you deal with the pirate crew affects a few things.

In short: both the Space Pirate games I'm comparing here are not great games, though they are far from terrible. That said, Thissi's over-sexualization, the less-branching path you travel in that game, the lack of achievements in "Lady Luck" and the lack of clarity on the personality-based stats makes the game inferior.

"Reckless Space Pirates" has problems too, and in terms of a connected whole, and the choice of a love interest, "Treasure Seekers of Lady Luck" has it beat.

Largely, which game would appeal to you more is probably based on whether you like logic puzzles and math riddles or more involved brain teasers, both games do them well and make them major parts of play.

I don't think looking into either game is a waste of time and if you guys prefer "Lady Luck" such a game is good enough that many might like it over Reckless Space Pirates.

2021-10-22 14:16:46

Hello all,

a little bit of news, though I will say right off the bat that I'm not overly excited about this.

After a long break, "Heart's Choice" games have some new content. "A Pirate's Pleasure" which I think I talked about above has a 99 cent upgrade where you get 3 short bonus stories of major characters that appear in the game and you get to see them before the game's action. These bonus stories are not interactive and are just a little something extra you can read if you like. It will be a very long time before I even touch "Heart's Choice" but thought if that was your thing, I'd let you know of the new content.

2021-10-26 18:55:00

okay guys, just letting you know that two popular games are on sale for the next week.

"Vampires: the Masquerade: Night Road" which I've been told is very good, and "Cakes and Ale" which I've also been told is very good are on sale for the next week.

The first is a game where you play a vampire courrier running the American southwest, and the second is a Victorian adventure that is supposed to be quite good.

If you want either, you can snag them up for a reduced price until next week.

2021-10-26 19:02:40

Also note that those are some of the longest games in the catelog, even taking into account both choice of games and hosted games. Night Road is 800000 words in total, and the other one is over a million.

2021-10-29 15:42:59

Hello all!

after a long time of hyping it, "Vampires: The Masquerade: Parliament of knives" is out. From what I've heard if this title of 600k words is anything like the last one, it will definitely be worth our time.

This one takes place in Ottowa Canada and you play as a vampire after the prince of Ottowa's vampires goes missing. Now there is a lot of jockeying for position and on top of that, some vampires are threatening to make their existence known to the world at large. You have to deal with this potential disaster, which also might prove a major opportunity for you.

You can pick through the typical categories for characters in most choiceofgames titles and can also select what kind of vampire you are to customize the game and play as you'd like.

Not a fan of vampires, but heard good things about the first game, so I'd recommend you check this one out.

2021-11-04 16:21:22

Bookrage's review of "Choice of the Deathless"

Hello all.

I have another review for you guys as I have just completed "Choice of the Deathless."  which is based on the "Deathless" books by the same author.

genre: This game seems to be a sort of supernatural thriller with courtroom aspects as you play a sort of occult attourney in this story where mortals have largely taken the power from the gods and demons and have become a major force of power in their world after the god wars, which is apparently some sort of conflict. The genre is interesting, but as I will say below, I think some knowledge of the deathless novels is necessary to really enjoy this game.

biases: I love concepts like demonic contracts, occult bargains, and introducing magic into normal professions as a normal course of life. This game has a lot of that.

writing: This story is very unique and weird, but not in a good way for those who simply enjoy playing through a choice of games title but do not have interest or have not read the source material the title is based on. The game thrusts a lot of weird people at you such as bizarre demons and people, and the very odd partners at the firm you work at. Whether it is the jewel-eyed nebukineser or the skin-mask wearing skeleton varkath, you get a lot of unique characters.

Unfortunately, a lot of the uniqueness stops at appearance and many characters are non-entities in themselves with little personality and little depth. They were often set up as enigmatic and mysterious but that was done to the point that there is no real engagement with them that one can feel. All of them largely act the same and very few of them, including the villains really stand out and they tend to be really flat, delivering menacing or edgy lines or simple bits of information with no real bits other than one weird person looks different than some other weird person distinguishing them.

The story also seems to have some technical problems. Between major parts of the story you can change how your character lives. Midway through the story, I wanted to change how much my character slept but that option was no longer an option about 2/3 the way through the story which put a makjor monkey wrench in my plans, though on my first playthrough I did pretty well. Also, I failed to take a deposition from a goddess in the chapter I had to do that in, and yet in the next major part of the story, the story forgot that and said I had succeeded.

The metaphysical stuff they talk about surrounding the craft of your occult job was pretty cool, but again, a lot of it was weirdness for weirdness' sake and tended to muddle the story, making a lot of decisions hard to make informed decisions on (more on that in mechanics)

Even thhough I am an attentive reader, the plot was often hard to follow and has a lot of snowflake syndrome going on.

Mechanics: A definite plus to the mechanics of this game is that, like in "Reckless Space Pirates," the game explains exactly what each stat does and how it affects you. I have no objection to that and really like how a couple of games have done that. However, these stats are not applied well in the actual decision-making of the story. I specialized heavily in "craft" which was my sorcerous powers. Most craft choices, though not all, were fairly straightforward, but this is largely by comparison to other stats. Even with the concept of Craft being very simple, sometimes identifying what was the "craft" decision wasn't quite clear. This was far more true for other stats where it was very hard for me to map stats onto decisions. For having such a laid-out mechanics system, the game is very hard to play despite this.

Romance: Apparently, according to the achievements, there are 3 love interests in the game, I only had a very good relationship with two of them and what I saw wasn't all that great. Of the two I could've gotten romantic with, there wasn't really much difference between them. The game put out information about Wakefield and Chen, but in actual terms of how they behaved, like most characters in the story, they are largely non-entities with poorly-developed characters that are largely pretty cardboard cut-outs. Also, the conversations you could have with teither were rather stale and strained. There really wasn't much to love in either of my love interests and my choice largely came down to blond versus brunette.

Railroading: Depends on how you look at it: The game is largely a set of events in your career bookended by a struggle you are having with a foe in the first chapter and periodically throughout the game. You cannot really change what events you get, but you can choose how to react to them and also how you live between each event.  which provides a decent bit of freedom. An inspection of the achievements and what they mean for me as I have gotten several also tells me  that there are definite moments in the game where you have a lot of choices. There are lots of ways to beat the final bad guy and lots of different happy endings for you to pick from based on your moves throughout the game which are indicated by a number of achievements. I would say that like many choice of games titles, the events are set in stone but what matters is how you react to them, which is more wide-open.

Achievements: many: You aren't getting the massive number of achievements you get in some games,  but this title has several and it really shows that the game has some very significant replay value to get them all. It shows hints at multiple endings and ways to conquer various challenges in the game. I got over a third of them on one playthrough but I'll have to play many more times to get the others as I largely got the easy ones. The game has achievements for conquering various challenges in various ways, defeating the villain in various ways, and reltionship ones as well as doing some pretty hard stuff.

Closing remarks: Please if anyone has read the Deathless books, tell me what I am missing. As I see it right now, this is one of the worst Choice of games titles I've played and I don't know why it has such a very high rating with so many people reviewing it. For me, the writing is muddled, it is often strange just to be strange, one can play strategically but one must often fight the game rather than play with the game because of a lot of confusing applications of mechanics, the characters are flat. On the plus side, the game has some cool weirdness at times, and it has a lot of replay value with a lot of choices if you want to go for those achievements, provided you are willing to struggle with the above flaws.

I don't know if this title will go below my current worst "For Rent: Haunted House," but it very well might.

For those of you who are "Deathless" fans, either with the novels or the choice of games titles, as there are others, please explain where I am wrong.

2021-11-04 20:44:37

I remember playing this one afew years ago, but can't remember much about it.
I did kind of enjoy it though, not my favourite, but didn't hate it.

2021-11-13 15:46:45

Hello all,

"Hosted games" has a couple of new releases I thought I'd tell you about as I like to keep you guys aware of what is going on in that line-up.

The first title is "Raiders of the Icepeak Mountains." In this one, you play an adventurer setting up to battle orcish raiders who are coming down from the mountains.  and you go into a dungeon. This game is based on the old books from the 80s and 90s and even employs a dice system. You play as a fighter, cleric, wizard, or rogue

The game has a lot of randomization which means it advertises heavy replay value. Also, for those to whom it matters, it is one of the few titles with pictures.  Your character also levels up and such just like in a traditional rpg, as well as collecting magic items and the like.

The second title is "Temple of Eternal Night" which is an Egyptian mythology/fantasy game. You go out in the desert and start seeing weird things around a forgotten temple. It is then up to you to fight back your nightmares or bring them to life as you also use your talents and power to decide what to do about the society you live in.

Unlike "Icepeak Mountains," this one seems to be more like the traditional "Hosted Games" titles.  and has you dealing with a vaguely menacing Ancient Egyptian mythological setting with a little bit of eldritch thrown in there.

just thought I'd let you guys know of the titles.

2021-11-16 14:08:26

Hello all!

big announcment for those of you who have liked the "Vampire: The Masquerade" titles that have been relased so far on Choice of Games. "Sins of the Sires" is coming out in spring 2022 as the fourth in the lineup if you've liked what has been offered so far.

This one takes place in Athens, Greece in the modern day, but you have to, like in many other titles, navigate the twisting politics of the game world and keep vampires secret, or blow things wide open. In this one, you also are trying to figure out who created you in the first place.

I don't see anything particularly special about this one that isn't in "Parliament of Knives" but if that one was good, I'm expecting this one to be pretty nice too.

Just thought I'd let you know of the title they are hyping already.

2021-11-18 13:47:40

Bookrage's "Choice of the Rock Star"

Hello all,

I've just completed "Choice of the Rock Star" and am here to tell you of my impression of it.

Biases: I know very little about Rock and Roll, but I like career management stuff and I like games that make you have to make strategic decisions, which this game does.

genre: This game markets itself as a career management, 80s nostalgia, rock star game, and it delivers exactly what it advertises. You will go from a wannabe rock star possibly to a major legend.

Writing: This game's writing is okay in terms of overall style but there are other things that it has going for it. Firstly, there are some great bits of Nostalgia that are worked in there such as the mention of you having a beeper, and a few other things that put you in the tech of the 80s. You also own a record player. Another thing that is pretty good is that most major sections of the game are opened with a set of quotes from a legendary song. I am so much of a Rock Neophyte, listening to Country music most of the time, that most of these songs were completely new to me, but the effect was still a good one.

On those lines, sometimes your choices were done in lyrics from rock songs too, which were harder for me to grassp, but this only happened a couple of times and was a nice challenge.

Most of the characters, other than Casper are pretty superficial, and there are a lot of them, but few leave an impression  so that is an area where this game largely fails.

Mechanics: The mechanics of this game are pretty straightforward with things like "Style" "musicianship" '"Buzz" "Band Cohesion" and other stuff being pretty easy to track. Where it gets tricky is not in the mechanics themselves, but in the plethora of them as the number of them is enormous. It makes this truly complex game work, though it is still easy to know what you are doing.

Romance: You can get with a groupie or flirt with a few people every now and then, but in terms of an actual love interest, this game doesn't have any of that. I flirted with a groupie at a bar but she had no name, character, or description. If you're looking for a relationship game, look elsewhere.

railroading: After a single playthrough, it is hard to tell. The achievements suggest that the game has a lot of branches and options, but I'm not sure whether those other branches of things I didn't do are brief encounters or major parts of the story that differentiate. As the game is only 74k words, I'm thinking the former but even if that is true, there is a lot of room to do stuff in this story. I also got to make a lot of real choices here such as my bandmates, several decisions about my career, record contracts, and stuff like that, and how I would approach my particular style. I would say that in this game, you are more free than most.

Achievements: Yes! and many! This game has a huge number of a chievements that represent a wide array of things you can do, including dying young, giving up on your dreams and going into insurance, going to rehab, rocking out with a gospel choir, being a master of several kinds of music, and the like. If you want these, you'll have to play this game a lot and I'd say based on my playthrough it is worth it. The achievements also advertise widely differing ways the story can go.

closing remarks: Though "Slammed" is much better than "Choice of the Rock Star" in one way they are very similar. They are both games that I love that are about things I don't normally like or care about. That is definitely to both their credits. "Choice of the Rock Star" has forgettable characters and is a little niche, but it is by no means a bad game and I highly recommend it.

2021-11-20 17:29:06

Hello all,

not super news to share with you but if you are into the "Dawnfall" Heart's choice game, they have released 5 bonus stories that you can buy for a buck. The stories add about 25k words to the story but none of the stories are interactive. They are largely prequels for major NPC characters in th eDawnfall story so you can see what the characters did before the events of the main story, though you read them rather than play them.

This is the second time this has happened recently with Heart's Choice titles and I am not particularly thrilled by it. However, if these are your things, figured I'd let you know.

If the bonus stories rock and I'm being a biased idiot, please tell me.

2021-11-20 19:56:09

well I love the omnibus app.  makes it super easy to just check what's new after being out for a while, plus the filtering is super useful.
I'm just about to try the first vampire the masquerade title which I've heard great things about.

2021-11-21 18:56:22

I've heard good things about it too. Not a fan of vampires or that RPG, but there's an RPG game I'm a fan of that created a product for Storium and it is pretty good.

2021-11-25 15:15:38

Hello all,

There's a new Choice of Games title out. "Cliffhanger: Challenger of Tomorrow" has just been relased. In this game, you play as a super-agent-hero-sort who has been empowered by Zeta waves: a mysterious power source both for people and the world in the 1930s. Your Mentor has been replaced by an evil doppelganger who turns you into a fugitive and you must travel all over the world to stop the conspiracy.

The game is described as retro-futuristic and occurs in the 1930s. It seems to have several hallmarks of pulp fiction such as dinosaur-infested islands and super-gadgets along with a wide range of fantastic characters and events that are meant to be sensational, though you also can meet up with historical figures here and there. I'm hoping to enjoy the part of the game where they advertise that you can shoot Hitler in the face. Al Capone also makes an appearance.

This one looks like it'll be fun, and with a 300k word count, it's rather hefty, which should be refreshing.

2021-12-03 17:46:21

Hello all,

Choice of games is really pulling out the stops with a second release in two weeks on their main line. This one is "Fairy's bargain: the price of business.) In this one, you play a goblin merchant in the victorian underground market and you can use your trade and such to possibly manipulate politics both of fairies and humans. You can use money to buy yourself new skin and eyes and such, free children from child labor or capitalize on it, save Queen Victoria's reign or put a fairy puppet on the throne, and either work with or against other merchants, all while being able to swing back and forth from fairy-like to human-liked.

This one sounds like it is going to be an exciting and complex game whenever I get to it many years from now probably at the rate I am going.

Just thought I'd let you know about this title.

2021-12-10 14:47:12

Hello all!

More releases at this rate means I'll never catch up in my reviews the way things are going. For the thirds straight week in a row. Choice of Games has release a new title on their main line.

This time, it is witchcraft U. In this one, you are a student at a magical university that is opening up to mundanes for th efirst time. Three magical secret societies are clamoring for your support and between classes and relationships, you have a lot of the typical college story stuff.

There's also a wrinkle in it too as you are the heir apparent of a major crime family. You have to balance classes and reltaionships, learn and specialize in a type of magic, and figure out what the heck you are going to do with your criminal inheritance.

This one looks okay but I've seen the set-up before. It'll be a long time before I get to it but it looks like it might be fun.

if any of you try it, let me know how it is.

2021-12-17 16:33:57

Hello all,

again, Choice of Games has gotten me even farther behind in getting to today's releases from 8 years ago with their new release "Pon Para and the Unconquerable Scorpion." It's the second in their "Pon Para" line and takes place after "Pon Para and the souther laborynth." In this one, your enemy has released a scorpions forged by the gods that can destroy reality itself and you have to forge a whole army to stop it. It mentioned several returning characters, factions, and events from the first game, but I have not yet played the first and thus it meant little.

But with over 700k words and the previous game having over a million, this series promises long and varied play for those who like big games.

If anyone has played Pon Para and the southern Laborynth, give us a little about it so we can judge if this new giant game is worth it.

Also, more should be coming from me shortly. I'm working my way through "Nola Is Burning." and should have a review of that coming to you soon enough.

2021-12-28 20:22:01

Bookrage's review of "Nola is Burning"

Hello all,

It has been a while since I have reviewed a game but I have just completed "Nola is burning" and have a bit to share on it.

Biases: I like dark stuff though my knowledge of gangster stuff is pretty limited so I was often confused temporarily by this one. I like dark stuff and the crime aspect was fun.

Genre: One of the best or worst aspects of this game is the genre that it breaks. Although quite a bit of it is solid gangland action though often delivered with a bit of snark, some parts of the story, such as the climax and the end of the story that I got were just plain goofy and the achievements that say things that can happen all over the story are very weird and have a very wide range of what sort of stories this game can apparently tell.

Writing: This game has a rather dark aspect, with a lot of violence, references to abuse, and general rather bitter views of the world around you. A lot of times, this is delivered with quite a bit of snark and you get a lot of that throughout the story. However, the game often breaks tone with parts of the story that come out of left field and either become silly through their lack of realism or just they break the tone with too much humor. If you want a story that is a bit chaotic without that necesarily being a bad thing, this is a story for you as some parts of the story, such as when I rescued El, and what happened after I escaped New Orleans were fun but very odd and rather out of keeping with the story, though the weirdness hadn't started there as I got something in the previous chapter that was weirder.

Characters in the story have a lot of life and quirkiness to them, from the batty old lady Dragon to several people you meet while trying to rescue the Bull's love as the story goes on. Most characters have something memorable about them, from the junkie priest to the no-nonsense Bull to the sneaky weasel of a detective.

Also, although there will be more on this below, decisions you make even early in the story are referenced frequently and consistently throughout the entirety of the story, and some things I did early in the story had a real butterfly effect later, so it reallyd oes feel like your adventure.

mechanics: Like several of the other titles released in this part of Choice of Games' history, mechanics are clearly explained and are defined directly on the stats page, making it easy to know what your stats mean. Mapping them onto the game can be a bit more difficult. I had a tough time realizing when my "respect" stat came into play and made quite a few mistakes because of that. Most of the other stats however were easy enough to grasp. They had good names for the genre as well such as "take it to the mattresses" for your fighting abilities.

Love Interest: Only one, either El or Alexander, depending on your choice, and they, despite being your goal for much of the story, don't appear much. Largely how they act is determined it seems by how you say they act at the start of the story. They are the McGuffin for the story but don't have much value, though your relationship with them is sort of orced on you. The only way you can really avoid it is by focussing on just trying to get out of your trade or focus on growing your career in either the Mafia or with the dragon.

Railroading: Heck No! I have only played through once but the achievements tell me, because even the shadow of many of them didn't come up at all in my playthrough that this story can goa lot of different ways. There is so little railroading that I'd say I'll probably have to review this title again after a few more playthroughs. I was fairly successful and only got 4 of the 26 achievements.

achievements: This game knows how to manage it. It has a wide variety of achievements and from what I can tell, few of them are simple token achievements as they, just by showing what they are, shows a wide variety of events and playstyles. One great thing about achievements in Choice of Games titles when they are there is that they often hint at what can be accomplished in the game, and from the looks of things, there are huge swaths of the game I didn't even touch.

closing remarks: I have oftten thought that Choice of Games makes several of their free titles free because they aren't up to par with their paid titles. I see "Choice of the Dragon" as a tutorial and "Choice of Broadsides" is a major acception to that rule. I have to add "Nola is burning" as another title that is free to play, and yet very much still worth playing. I've got other things I need to do, but I'm also very much eager to play this one again.

But right now, though there was a major delay since my last game review, I should be starting "Neighborhood Necromancer" tomorrow so a review should not be too far off.

2021-12-28 20:57:37

Hi,
So in regards to Pon Para, the first book in that series will be my next read.  The author is the same one who wrote vampire Night road, which I've just bought and can tell I'm going to be playing off and on for a good while as it's got a lot of customisation and the writing is very enjoyable.
Naturally this has me far more interested in the author's other works, and the Pon Para books look to be very well thought of.

2021-12-29 19:38:24

thanks for the info, makes me more eager to get to that point now that I'vee got an endorcement from you guys.

2021-12-30 01:36:08

Ya, night road's grate, didn't realise the Pon Para books were by thee same person,  will have to give them a read during the brake.