2019-12-30 01:29:34

I like the idea of different enemy types doing effects, especially if you need to save up items to deal with them.
~As far as starting scene goes, distinguishing higher difficulty with a higher ratio of total scene makes sense, it's just as you said, that between extra bonuses from prestieges and bonus xp, you can still start as a bit of a monster, I'd personally suggest adding on the character's starting level, that way the bonus xp a character has  influences where they start directly, but the level would still be low enough to build up some items.

Poison I've actually found quite deadly in some circumstances being as it does continual damage, another reason why I like the idea of poison being enemy specific. Curses are more an annoyance, but can be a true hazard at really high levels when your trying to use an uba trank on something.

With respect to pack ordering, I wouldn't recommend sorting items by name, since then you'd have similar items changing all over the place, EG   breezy cuffs at the beginning, but your windy cuffs right at the end. Likewise, I'd not personally be a fan of sorting by level, since I wouldn't  want to need to tab through gear to find consumables or visa versa.

I personally liked the order as it was before, with most recent at the top, that way when you pick up a new piece of gear and want to equip it you can do so straight away, and only need to sort through the inventory when your looking for a specific consumable or selling to the merchant.

If you wanted something more complex, perhaps allow several sorting options available in settings for the player to choose between as they wish.

You could also consider adding a few filters for the pack towards the bottom such as show gear, show all or show items, though I don't know how complicated you want to get with the interface there.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-30 03:50:09 (edited by Dark 2019-12-30 03:51:59)

Btw, I can confirm what Aaron said earlier regarding several achievements not saving across presteiges, since I've just got  some for the first time a couple of times over in successive runs.

I haven't got a full list of which  do this, but they include area  specific achievements such as seaker and archaeologist, survivor and the damage achievements such as bulwark and damage sponge.

It also seems explorer is only saving to level one across prestieges for some reason too.

For the record here is my current savestring :
aGVpcmxvb209SEgxNSxIQzE3LEhBMTcsSEwxOCxIVzIyLEhPMjEsSFIxODsgcHJlc3RpZ2U9TlAxNixQWDIzMzYxLFBOMjYsUFMyNTIsUFAxNSxQRjI1LFBBMjcsUEUyNSxQVzI4LFBMMjY7IGFjaGlldmVtZW50cz1TTjJ8NTAsTFY0fDIxLEVOMnw0NixHTTR8MTYyMixGUzR8MjE0LFBTMjF8NTI1LEFNMXw2NyxEQzF8MzMsQ0MyfDUwLFJNMnw4MCxFQTJ8MjcsRUUyfDM0LEVGMnwzNCxFVzJ8MjgsRUwyfDI2LFBOMXwxNixQRTF8MjYsUFAzfDIy

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-12-30 14:15:54

hahaha I just realize I spent a few hours for this game, somehow it's adicting.
how to save my progress btw? do I have to eat the pie first?

2019-12-30 15:28:41 (edited by Dark 2019-12-30 15:29:08)

Yes, bonuses like heirlooms you get, bonus gem xp and any prestige items like toughen muffins or pricey spice from the merchant won't kick in until you eat a humble pie and restart your game, which will also save them permanently. If you die however everything not saved is lost, so you need to make  sure to eat a humble pie and bale out before that happens.

of course the one exception to this rule are achievements, which should be permenant as soon as you have them.

2019-12-30 19:06:59

Actually, slight correction, heirlooms save as soon as you find them, even if you dont equip them smile

2019-12-31 18:36:18

@malachi1616 Thank you for this fantastic game! I've been addicted since I found it just before Christmas. Thanks as well for the yummy presents that showed up after pieing on the 25th.
I do have a couple suggestions or questions.First, would it be possible to put a tag on the pack tab with a number that indicates how many items it's currently holding and a number indicating it's current capacity? It could say, for instance, pack, 5/7, or pack, 28/30. wink This could be given after inspecting the pack, but it might help make playing more efficient if the screen reader spoke the info when the pack tab was in focus.
Second, and sorry if this is already available and I haven't figured out where to look. Is therer a way to find out how much hp your current opponent has, and how far you have to go until the end of the fight?
I know I'll be back with more questions or thoughts. I just got posting rights and wanted to get these two questions out there.
Thanks again!

2019-12-31 20:13:00

Skhye wrote:

@malachi1616 Thank you for this fantastic game! I've been addicted since I found it just before Christmas. Thanks as well for the yummy presents that showed up after pieing on the 25th.
I do have a couple suggestions or questions.First, would it be possible to put a tag on the pack tab with a number that indicates how many items it's currently holding and a number indicating it's current capacity? It could say, for instance, pack, 5/7, or pack, 28/30. wink This could be given after inspecting the pack, but it might help make playing more efficient if the screen reader spoke the info when the pack tab was in focus.
Second, and sorry if this is already available and I haven't figured out where to look. Is therer a way to find out how much hp your current opponent has, and how far you have to go until the end of the fight?
I know I'll be back with more questions or thoughts. I just got posting rights and wanted to get these two questions out there.
Thanks again!

Excellent suggestion on the pack size, I'll add something for that into the next update!

For enemy health, I'm in the process of reworking the enemy system and you'll be able to inspect an enemy for more info. You probably wont see their current hp exactly, but more likely a percentage.

2020-01-02 08:37:05

Dark wrote:

Btw, I can confirm what Aaron said earlier regarding several achievements not saving across presteiges, since I've just got  some for the first time a couple of times over in successive runs.

Ok, I've released an experimental update for a potential fix for achievements. The fix I had before fixed one issue, but created another. Then when I finally fixed the achievements, it broke prestiges lol. So this, hopefully, will fix everything, but I havent had a chance to fully test it. So this update comes with a disclaimer, make sure you save your save string somewhere (I think most everyone is already).

Also, I've added a little text to the pack tab that tells you how large your pack size is, and how many items are in it. For example, if you have 2 items in a pack that holds ten, the pack tab will be called "Pack 2/10". But, again, I haven't had a chance to test it in NVDA, so I don't know how it reads to you all. If it is weird, I can try to add an aria label to it so it reads differently, for the record though, not all objects allow alternate aria text.

2020-01-02 09:05:33 (edited by ogomez92 2020-01-02 09:05:57)

I have  no idea how to save my game? I closed the window (yes, cookies are enabled), reopened, and oh, all my data was gone. I went through like 6 zones. ☹️

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2020-01-02 16:32:56

i've not been able to play for a few days since I was visiting my parents for new year, and  one drive was not cooperating with transferring the text file with my savestring in it onto my laptop.
I've just got back and finished a run though, and am really glad the achievements system is fixed, though missing the winter wonderland achievement I got is a bit of a bummer.

On the plus side I like the new pack fix and the fact that it's now displaying with most recent items at the top again, thanks for that.

I did run into one unconnected problem.

A couple of times I found strong boxes with a full pack, and they went into the area tab, however I couldn't then either open or pick them up, since clicking on the strong box told me I needed a key to open it, and clicking on the skeleton key in my pack told me there was nothing there to open, and the "pick up all" button didn't' work either.

I also was having a think  elemental bonuses, since at the moment, water is probably the weakest, since while increasing healing items effectiveness is a good idea in theory, in practice you get so many potions that it doesn't really make a difference. Likewise, most of the time one food item restores you to full energy, and on the rare occasions it doesn't, you've usually got more than enough food.

I was wondering therefore if you'd considered having the water bonus either dicrease the maximum damage enemies do to you, what with water being the flowing element and best for using enemy's attacks against them (I'm a last air bender fan), or if you'd considered making water add to the effectiveness of any and all buffs,  retributions damage, to healing, to the duration of items like uba tranks and magic buries.

At the moment, I first go for total level on gear.
After that my priorities are roughly luck, fire, disruption, wind, earth and healing, with water right down at the bottom with leach and retribution, being as retribution damage still isn't really high enough to make too much difference.

looting i'll always use as long as I'm having an easy time with enemies, but as soon as I hit the point that enemy damage starts increasing, I abandon it for extra damage or dodge.

So, it'd be cool if water was a bit more effective I think.

2020-01-02 20:20:25 (edited by malachi1616 2020-01-02 20:37:06)

ogomez92 wrote:

I have  no idea how to save my game? I closed the window (yes, cookies are enabled), reopened, and oh, all my data was gone. I went through like 6 zones. ☹️

This is a rogue lite game, most of your data is just for that run through. If you buy a Humble Pie from a vendor and eat it, you will reset at the beginning, but retain some of your bonuses like an idle game.

dark wrote:

A couple of times I found strong boxes with a full pack, and they went into the area tab, however I couldn't then either open or pick them up, since clicking on the strong box told me I needed a key to open it, and clicking on the skeleton key in my pack told me there was nothing there to open, and the "pick up all" button didn't' work either.

I'll look into this. Someone on itch.io reported a related issue, this may be a bug that came from the fix for their issue.

dark wrote:

or if you'd considered making water add to the effectiveness of any and all buffs,  retributions damage, to healing, to the duration of items like uba tranks and magic buries.

You're right, water needs a boost. Although, no matter what you do, one element will have to be the weakest. It would be impossible to create a perfect balance. I love this idea though, adding to buffs. I'll work water bonus into the calcs for the different item bonuses and buffs.

2020-01-02 21:26:40

No, I want to save the game. so I can keep my prestige next time I run the game.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2020-01-02 21:33:18 (edited by malachi1616 2020-01-02 22:29:59)

ogomez92 wrote:

No, I want to save the game. so I can keep my prestige next time I run the game.

Yeah, eating a humble pie will reset your game, so when you start again, you'll keep any prestige bonuses you had from eating the other prestige foods (pricey spice, toughen muffin, etc). Also, any gems you collect will add to your starting XP next time, so each run should push you further and further. There is no way to save your progress mid-run so that you can come back to it. It's meant to basically be one run per session and try to get as far as you can. Each run will push you further as you collect more prestige bonuses and heirloom gear.

2020-01-03 01:31:16 (edited by malachi1616 2020-01-03 07:44:25)

dark wrote:

Ok this is more of an issue with the naming/labeling of things. I'll fix it to where it makes more sense when I get home tonight. But the way it works is that when you find a chest it'll go into the area tab, but in a different spot than the stuff that goes on the ground when you drop it. There are 3 sections of the area tab, but there isn't really any labels yet. There is an enemy space that will eventually give you details on the enemy you are fighting, an environmental object space that holds stuff like chests and will hold environmental objects, and there a floor space for dropped items. Clicking on the chest button just tells you that you need to use a key on them.

When you use a key, the chest is opened and the object inside replaces the key in your inventory. But you might not immediately notice that unless you check all your items again, and the chest button is still there telling you that you need to use a key on it. Using another key will tell you there isn't anything, cause the chest is already opened. This is confusing, I admit. But it was working as intended, more or less. Although it wasn't intended to be as confusing heh.

So what I'll do is label the sections of the area tab and remove the chest from the area tab once its open.

EDIT: Ok, I did that. The chest object in the area should now disappear when you use the key on it, and the sections in the area tab are now separated by a level 5 heading so you can cycle through them easily enough.

Oh and i extended the winter event through the weekend so people could get the achievement again

2020-01-03 08:54:46

Okay that was bloody annoying! I'd hit level 29 thanks to puzzle boxes and was on scene 289 after playing for about an hour. However I hit the wrong button with tabbing, Itch.io takes me to the wrong page and pooof! all my progress goes bye bye.

I was wondering if you'd ever considered adding a full screen button to get rid of those itch.io links? that would also make it possible to hit ctrl end, go down to the bottom of the page and find things from there, which could be helpful when pack size gets particularly large.

2020-01-03 09:49:14 (edited by malachi1616 2020-01-03 09:53:44)

Dark wrote:

Okay that was bloody annoying! I'd hit level 29 thanks to puzzle boxes and was on scene 289 after playing for about an hour. However I hit the wrong button with tabbing, Itch.io takes me to the wrong page and pooof! all my progress goes bye bye.

I was wondering if you'd ever considered adding a full screen button to get rid of those itch.io links? that would also make it possible to hit ctrl end, go down to the bottom of the page and find things from there, which could be helpful when pack size gets particularly large.

There arent a whole lot of options on itch.io for html 5 games, its either embed on the page or click to go full screen. Its set to click for full screen, so whats there is the way its gotta be unless you know of some other way to set up a game there. The other option is to play it through my website, which doesnt have any other goofy proprietary buttons (aside from the goody proprietary buttons in the game itself).

http://docs.buddywagner.com/games/Infin … Crawl.html

2020-01-03 11:02:40

Dark wrote:

Hi. What I ended up doing since I have a couple other games from itch.io was downloading the Itch.io app for Windows. There are a lot of things that are clickable rather than showing as buttons or links, but it's usable. Once I had it downloaded I went to the page for InfiniCrawl by searching for it in the app and clicked download. This downloaded a version of the game to my computer that doesn't have any of that extra stuff, and each time I open the app it lets me know if there's a new update for the game.

2020-01-03 13:10:27

will be cool if this have sounds , no, don't have to be the complex one, just a simple sounds when you attack, take items, drink potion big_smile, maybe change sceen too

2020-01-03 16:36:24

Hi.

What are achievement points? Do they do anything?

I'm gone for real :)

2020-01-03 18:12:09

brad wrote:

Hi.

What are achievement points? Do they do anything?

Achievement points give you a bonus to health and max damage as a percentage. For example,  50 achievement points gives you +50% health and damage.

2020-01-03 18:18:18

Hi.

@malachi1616, thanks.

Any plans to have a shortcuts list?

I keep pressing b to get to the next button and it gets a bit tiring.

2020-01-03 18:38:15

brad wrote:

Hi.

@malachi1616, thanks.

Any plans to have a shortcuts list?

I keep pressing b to get to the next button and it gets a bit tiring.

Ive posted a shortcut list here in this thread a few times and its on the wiki. It uses the access keys for whichever browser youre using. I would post it again but i dont have a good way to do it on my phone. I can post it later but if you go back a page here you should see it. If not 2 pages.

2020-01-03 19:01:53 (edited by JasonBlaze 2020-01-03 19:04:39)

here:
hold alt and press the key below
Access keys, for now:
■ 1/2/3/4 - access the stat/traits/prestige/heirloom tabs
■ q/w/e - access the pack/event/gear tabs (w also accesses the shop tab when in merchant mode)
■ ] - explore
■ [ - fight
■ " - search
■ p - potion
■  ; - food
■ o - run
■  ? - inspect
■ z - dismiss merchant
■ < - reload event log

2020-01-03 19:43:56

Hi.

@malachi1616, thanks, I'll check out the wiki if I'm stuck.

@JasonBlaze, thanks for the shortcuts.

2020-01-04 04:03:21

Ok so I added a settings tab. Consider this a beta test of settings. Things you should know, these settings dont save to your computer or anything with a cookie, they are only good for one session. Once you leave the page, they will revert to default. That is just for now though while I'm piloting it. Also, this is not the complete list of configurable elements. The main purpose for putting this out right now is the access key question that keep coming up. So I'll break things down for you all real quick.

The link to the wikipedia page was replaced with a graphic that will open up the help and settings menu. You can find it with the g key in NVDA, its in the same place as the old wiki link. When you click it, it'll open up the menu. The layout here is a rough draft. It made sense to me visually, but when I tried to read it in NVDA it was annoying to me. It uses tables, and navigating through the table cells seems like a chore. But, there are two tabs, you can cycle through, general settings and access keys. So you can customize which keys you want to use for which action here, again it wont save though yet. But, people can see what the defaults are here. The general settings tab has two settings right now. One to set whether new events go to the top of the log, unchecking this will make them go to the bottom instead. The other sets whether critical events will trigger a pop up or simply go to the log like other events. Critical events are things like low health, or trying to do something you cant do. Basically anything you are used to seeing a pop up for is a critical event. There are two buttons at the bottom, save and cancel. Cancel will close the settings menu without saving any changes, save will close it and apply the changes you made.

So, please try to use the settings menu and tell me how terrible it is to navigate, and if you want, give me some suggestions on how to make navigation easier for you. Also, dont try to set the same key to more than one action, there is no error checking on it and I dunno what that will do lol. I'll get it dialed in more later, just wanted to get it up so I had a place for people to go to see what the access keys are. Also at the top of the help and settings page is the link to the wiki page, its a button now though.