2020-01-04 05:05:32

if no one has mentioned this yet. clicking on inspect and then choosing something wil reset the view to events. acts really odd in shops for example.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2020-01-04 17:40:01

Hi.
Loving the game still, picked it up again on your main site as it's less cluttered.  I've ran into a problem though, which is that clicking headings for pack, events etc doesn't always change my view.  sometimes tapping multiple times works, but other times I've ended up stuck.  I'm using an Iphone, but I never had this issue before.  I can't really find a pattern either, it happens randomly.

2020-01-04 20:22:32 (edited by malachi1616 2020-01-04 20:51:37)

Liam wrote:

if no one has mentioned this yet. clicking on inspect and then choosing something wil reset the view to events. acts really odd in shops for example.

This is for visual players, since they don't have text readers to read off the results of the inspection. I put in a setting for this so you can change the behavior. Under general settings, uncheck the 'Open event tab on inspect' box.

dan_c wrote:

Hi.
Loving the game still, picked it up again on your main site as it's less cluttered.  I've ran into a problem though, which is that clicking headings for pack, events etc doesn't always change my view.  sometimes tapping multiple times works, but other times I've ended up stuck.  I'm using an Iphone, but I never had this issue before.  I can't really find a pattern either, it happens randomly.

Hmm, odd. This may be due to me overriding the click event to prevent zooming when you double tab on android phones. I don't have an apple device to test on. What browser are you using, safari? It might be the way safari is handling that event override. If you are using Safari, could you try it on chrome for iOS and see if it still happens there?

EDIT: I found an alternate way to prevent the double tap zoom that I think is more cross-browser compatible, which didnt exist when I wrote this originally. It seems to be working ok on my android device, so lemme know if this fixes your issue on iOS.

2020-01-04 21:02:45

Where is the game on your main sight? i don't know if anyone posted a link.

Who am I? Simply me!

2020-01-04 21:07:33

jescat277 wrote:

Where is the game on your main sight? i don't know if anyone posted a link.

If you want to play from my website to avoid the clutter from itch.io, the link is:

http://docs.buddywagner.com/games/Infin … Crawl.html

2020-01-05 04:33:37

Did a smallish update. Start playing around with adding sound effects to the game. They are turned off by default, you can enable them in the settings. Of course, the settings do not save still as they are still being tested and I dont want to taint cookies with things that might change a lot.

Enemies appear in the area tab, you can click them to see their remaining health percentage. Later, you'll be able to get more info, when the enemy update is implemented; and plans for class skills to increase the amount of info you can get.

For the sound effects, each effect only has a single sound that plays, so it might get repetitive. However, each sound increases the size of the game and the few sounds already implemented already doubled the size of the game. Also, digging through sound effects and converting and working them into the game is incredibly boring. So, I'll be slowly adding them as I go if they end up being cool. So lemme know what you think so far. Right now, there are sounds for hitting and missing an enemy, later different weapons might have different sounds, equipping/unequipping stuff, dropping and selling stuff, leveling up and opening a chest.

2020-01-05 06:15:50 (edited by JasonBlaze 2020-01-05 06:21:29)

cool, will check it out, and yes it is just a sweetener, so no rush smile
and me, or someone from this forum might help you with finding sounds, user omar usually has good one.
so let me know if you need help, E.G. what kind of sounds and event.

2020-01-05 17:07:59

Hi,
So I tried in chrome as well, and no luck.  it mainly seems to happen when trying to get from pack to events, but it happens quite a lot and I seem to remember getting stuck when trying to sell to the merchant yesterday.  I'm pretty sure this is very recent, I played last week when you'd just implemented achievements, and it was working fine.  Maybe it's too many headings too close together?  I can't think why that would be an issue though.

2020-01-06 05:29:05

dan_c wrote:

Hi,
So I tried in chrome as well, and no luck.  it mainly seems to happen when trying to get from pack to events, but it happens quite a lot and I seem to remember getting stuck when trying to sell to the merchant yesterday.  I'm pretty sure this is very recent, I played last week when you'd just implemented achievements, and it was working fine.  Maybe it's too many headings too close together?  I can't think why that would be an issue though.

Anyone else on iphone having the same issue?

2020-01-26 17:34:42

Hello. I was wondering if the game is still being worked on, or if we will be playing as is for a while. Either way loving the game! Keep up the good work and have a wonderful day.

Who am I? Simply me!

2020-01-26 19:35:36

Okay, I admit it's been a while but things have been a bit crazy this year. Still I'm now  back to give this another go, and I'm liking the changes, especially the new sound effects and the showing of total pack contents.
However, the balance again seems nuts, since around scene 180 I got this:
"You pierce Arch-Sand Warrior Ripsand the Mute with your Scimitar of Time, inflicting 477 damage.
He counter attacks, administering 621 damage.
You have 0 health remaining."

Again, one shotted from full health. I think those extra damage zones in hard are a bit bonkers.
Also, whilst I like the curse removal, it seems that because your chance to get recursed in curse zones is so damn high, I'm not sure when to use it, if at all.

I'd suggest that either once cursed, you cannot be recursed, or that after using a magic berry you get a little time of curse immunity, say about 10-20 attacks.
Also, I've been using firebombs to get the achievement, but even with level x 2 damage, they don't seem all that effective.
I'd suggest myself that they do level x2 percent of enemy's health, thus a level 20 firebomb would do fourty percent damage, that way they would be worth saving for bosses.

With regards to the sound effects, whilst I freely understand the amount of space they take up, I was wondering if you'd considered making the ones you have activate a little more often, for example, having the bling sound effect for levelling up used when activating items like lucky pennies, or having the hit and miss sounds apply to both enemy attacks as well as yours, which would be another good audio indicator of what was happening in combat.

thanks again for continuing the work on the game, and hope your having a good 2020.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-01-30 03:37:44

jescat277 wrote:

Hello. I was wondering if the game is still being worked on, or if we will be playing as is for a while. Either way loving the game! Keep up the good work and have a wonderful day.

TBH I've been using the lack of comments as a chance to take a break lol I've been working out a future roadmap for the game and not actually doing any coding. I want to visualize an "end" so that I can eventually call the game finished and create a lot of long term content that will keep people busy for a while. Eventually, while the game will always be infinite, you'll have to stop encountering new stuff to do.

dark wrote:

I'd suggest that either once cursed, you cannot be recursed, or that after using a magic berry you get a little time of curse immunity, say about 10-20 attacks.

Good idea! The number of attacks would likely be based on the level of the berry.

dark wrote:

Also, I've been using firebombs to get the achievement, but even with level x 2 damage, they don't seem all that effective.
I'd suggest myself that they do level x2 percent of enemy's health, thus a level 20 firebomb would do fourty percent damage, that way they would be worth saving for bosses.

Hmm, I'll look into rebalancing it again.

dark wrote:

With regards to the sound effects, whilst I freely understand the amount of space they take up, I was wondering if you'd considered making the ones you have activate a little more often, for example, having the bling sound effect for levelling up used when activating items like lucky pennies, or having the hit and miss sounds apply to both enemy attacks as well as yours, which would be another good audio indicator of what was happening in combat

Yeah I can reuse them and spread them around, and just slowly replace them as I get new ones in there, instead of leaving the sound blank.

2020-01-30 15:21:18

I had a couple weird events happen yesterday when I played.

first, anytime a dialog box came up on the screen, it said something akin to SDL-SDL Dialog box says... with no reference to content. This ocurred for every single dialog box that came up while I was playing and I was playing with Crhome if that would help you troubleshoot.

Also, how do you heirloom?

2020-01-30 20:50:30

bookrage wrote:

I had a couple weird events happen yesterday when I played.

first, anytime a dialog box came up on the screen, it said something akin to SDL-SDL Dialog box says... with no reference to content. This ocurred for every single dialog box that came up while I was playing and I was playing with Crhome if that would help you troubleshoot.

Also, how do you heirloom?

Whoa that is a weird thing I've never seen happen, I'll try to reproduce that in chrome if I can.

Heirloom gear will drop from some bosses. It'll be locked in a chest and you'll need a Skeleton Key to get it. So if you have a skeleton key on hand and you defeat a boss that drops a chest, you can open it and a random heirloom piece will be in there. The level of the gear will be compared to your current heirloom level for that piece (ie, if its a level 5 helm, itll compare against your current heirloom helm level). If the new piece is higher level, then it'll update your heirloom level to the new level. When you spawn in a new run, you'll start with heirloom gear equal to the level of each of your pieces. They max out at your current level though, so that level 5 helm will be level 1 when you start, when you gain a level itll increase in power to level 2, etc. up to level 5.

Heirloom gear doesn't have any additional It's just there to help you start out when you begin at an advanced scene.

2020-01-30 21:54:06

actually I don't think you can help me there about that sort of dialog thing. Question to ask my audiogaming friends because it happened elsewhere too on other games.

What is a good way, using windows 10 and JAWS 2020 to make it read dialog boxes, even when I use the jaws cursor and center it on my PC cursor when it is on one of the buttons in a dialog box, I cannot get it to read the contents.

I don't actually think it is the problem with the game now.

2020-01-31 01:11:39 (edited by malachi1616 2020-01-31 01:13:33)

In my initial research I found that SDL boxes may be coming from your browser itself or a browser plugin, possibly your OS if you're using some sort of OpenGL interface on linux. I also think its unrelated to the game. Unfortunately, I don't have personally have a copy of JAWS or any way to test JAWS so I can't say help there, hopefully some other users here can give you some advice there. When I test I use NVDA. If it helps, the dialogue boxes that this game uses are standard javascript alerts and confirm boxes, nothing special or unique about them.

2020-01-31 02:54:55

actually, you can download a trial version of JAWS for free. Only thing is, it will only run for 40 minutes at a time. So you'll have to restart it after that.

Just check out the Freedom scientific website.

2020-01-31 21:41:10

bookrage wrote:

actually, you can download a trial version of JAWS for free. Only thing is, it will only run for 40 minutes at a time. So you'll have to restart it after that.

Just check out the Freedom scientific website.

Good to know, I will definitely check that out.

2020-02-01 22:42:45 (edited by malachi1616 2020-02-01 23:08:05)

dark wrote:

However, the balance again seems nuts, since around scene 180 I got this:
"You pierce Arch-Sand Warrior Ripsand the Mute with your Scimitar of Time, inflicting 477 damage.
He counter attacks, administering 621 damage.
You have 0 health remaining."

I was thinking about this, how many scenes deep in this run were you? It might be a function of the "too far" bonus that enemies get. I might need to just dial that back on hard. Or, give the starting scene another boost so that you can progress more easily without hitting that "too far" wall.

dark wrote:

I forgot, I already did this! hah. When you eat a berry, you get a well fed bonus. When you would normally be cursed, your well fed bonus is decreased instead. It may be that your well fed bonus runs out too quickly for this to make any impact though, since it decreases whenever you explore or search also. I'll come up with something else.

2020-02-01 23:46:13

Ok sorry for the double post, but I did a small update to address some things:

Water bonus will now apply to all buff consumable effects such as the duration that Magic Berries and Ubertranks affects you as well as the prestige buff items like Baked Potato and Hot Tamale.

I changed the way that the Magic Berry will affect curses. Instead of curses being prevented by the well fed buff, Magic Berry grants a second buff called Curse Immune which is on a separate spin-down from well fed. So once your well fed buff is gone, you still have the curse immunity. Curse Immune will spin down every time you would normally be afflicted by a curse.

Fire Bombs now deal damage based on a percentage of the enemy's maximum health. The percentage is rolled randomly between 1% and a percent equal to the Fire Bomb level x 2 + Fire Bonus. Fire Bombs have a minimum damage equal to the bomb level x2 plus experience level plus fire bonus.

2020-02-03 16:22:15

I'm really loving how the game is going so far! I've tried the sound effects, and although I can think of quite a few I'd like to see in the future, I think the one I'd like most is an enemy death sound, so you know at which point you killed the enemy and don't waste time pressing buttons. Just a thud or something to tell you you've killed the thing would do. I know you said you'd be adding sounds slowly, as they take up more space, and I totally understand if this takes a while.

Also, thank you so much for the update to the pack! Knowing at a glance how much space I have left in there really helps! smile

2020-02-04 01:01:00 (edited by malachi1616 2020-02-04 01:30:07)

K, I added a little generic grunt death sound when an enemy dies, and also experimenting with background music. So far only boss fights have it, I am curious how muddled things are when you have sound effects, music and screen readers talking to you. Also, music will probably be scarce as file size increases a lot with longer audio files. So I guess I'll be focusing on sounds for the next bit trying to get everything a little more immersive as well as providing more tangible clues as to what is happening. Once I figure out exactly how I want the settings to work in relation to sounds, I'll make the settings save to a cookie so you don't have to keep turning sounds on.

2020-02-04 18:34:02

So, i encountered a problem. If i configure keys, they do not save when i refresh the page. Is it my problem, or it hasn't been implemented yet? If it is so, @malachi can you implement saving of shortcuts that you've configured?

2020-02-04 21:03:14

I think it's just that settings don't save between runs yet, because he's trying to get them just right before he assigns them to a cookie, as he was saying above.

2020-02-04 22:25:33

Imaginatrix nailed it. The settings don't save yet, they are experimental at this point. Once I'm sure everything is working right and make a few design decisions I'll make them save. Which will probably happen sooner than later as I'm getting tired of setting them every time I reload to test things lol.