2019-11-12 17:32:44

@Psycho, have a look at David's self trading guide found here it lets you trade manamons between two save files on the same machine, though it would be a time consuming process to get the starters I think, since what you'd need to  is get one starter, then play until you got to the end of the first stadium to unlock online trading, then cut that save file somewhere else, start a new one, get another starter, complete the first stadium again, then load two separate copies of the game with each of the two save files and do the self trading between them.

I found self trading really handy for getting Mortrex, and will likely use it again for the other Manamon that need to be traded to evolve, but for flamea and Aquaffe it was easier (at least by some measure of easier), to get assistance from someone else.

@Mitch, the bed is on the west side of the tunnel fairly close to where you start.
I did the same thing first time around, tried to level many different manamon and got a bit lost, that's why I'm finding jayde's guide helpful.

I personally went with Skerial in the first stadium, who wrecked hydrake in seconds.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-11-12 17:57:52 (edited by Mitch 2019-11-12 18:01:16)

I've actually found way more success with training Owlaw's physical attack up to just sweep through things, even though it starts with Sonic Boom as a special move.
Also Jayde, I was actually referring to Leonra in regards to Standard Type, but BattleCry when I get my team back (still in the tunnel) is going to be seriously good support coupled with Peck and a Bone Dagger 2.0.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-12 19:03:37

I trained both attack and special attack on Owlaw, as it also gets Cyclone Claw and Sonic Missile, as well as Suicide Dive much later. Because of the moves it gets, it's a little harder. I prefer the Eagala line for this, since they get a fun Batter Branch, plus Hone Blade and Fly and even Quicken. Set up a Martiagle properly and it gets awfully difficult to stop. Unless it randomly misses, of course, and then dies to something using Rock Barrage or something silly.

Skirial is the best early-game mon for just ripping through teams. It stops being useful about the time you hit the jungle. But it decimates poor Hydrake.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-11-12 22:05:41

Well I got through that damn jungle, it was easier this time, though I  revives training up Guererrol, who really is not easy to train in that jungle, again, really wish you could find higher level versions of stronger creatures kicking around to train with.

Guererrol seems good now he's got going, and I'm liking exponge as a good solid tank. I'm aware an ice type might be helpful, but at this point the only options are burgen evolutions, which are just so low level all the time getting them up to strength would be quite a stretch.

I did however have a dustup with dustin and gave dustin a bustin, which was good big_smile.

Actually I'm moderately excited, just the tower to go,  I'll be breaking new ground, plus of course I do remember some dramatic plot development at that point as well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-11-12 22:21:56

So are there something like TMs in this game? I know that there are abilities, but they seem to be few and far between. I haven't encountered any wild ones with an ability.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-12 23:19:00

No TMs, unfortunately.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
"Cause in a game of life or death, you either live, or you die."
"Wake the fuck up, samurai. We have a city to burn."

2019-11-12 23:54:16

Darn. That would probably help with movelist issues, unless they're in the second game.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-11-13 03:18:28 (edited by Dark 2019-11-13 03:38:53)

Well I'm nearly through the tower, and once again, not too bad, though I'm glad that according to Jayde's guide feefee turns up later since Dustin kept killing the feefee off before I  chuck giganets at them big_smile.

My brain isn't up to the last rock puzzle though, since its now one AM, so  I'm going to call it a night for now.
It's odd, I was going to train my party up a bit more since they were all around level 38, then I decided to explore the tower a bit, then a bit turned into a lot and before I realised I was doing the entire damn dungeon. I'm rather pleased, last time  multiple shadow apprentices brawl was something of a torment, this time  I gave them all a well deserved pounding big_smile.

also, a nice completion percentage so far. I'm missing a few evolutions, though I'm going to wait to see how many of them I can catch wild before I go worrying about specifically evolving them, unless I want to use them of course.

My only worry at the moment is not having an ice type on side, since I do recall  mentioning that Eroadium, the super hard dragon boss later on almost requires one, but we'll see, I might just find myself doing a bit of concerted grinding once I get there, which is what I imagine  people end up doing, that and a lot of tearing out of hair I believe.

Still, that's a ways off yet as there are still three stadia to go.

2019-11-13 03:52:03

Oh Lord, I hate that damn tower. Hard as hell. A timing room, a room with fireballs, you name it!

2019-11-13 04:10:41

That tower is just a slog for me at this point. The only thing I ever struggled with was the very last rock puzzle, and even that's not that bad, really. Just watch out for fire, it hurts.

Deciced is a particularly good ice type, as it gets good attack and is part shadow. Arctana isn't bad, but you'll be relying on Ice Tempest, which is inaccurate. I prefer Frigid Touch, which still has a tiny accuracy penalty but otherwise is pretty good. For now, you're probably fine.
If you want to just cheese Irroadium, catch the ice mythical when you get there (I won't say more yet) and just pump levels into it.

Eksponge is a wonderful tank with excellent defenses and modest HP. I've used one on a playthrough before and it was definitely worthwhile.

Feefeye is worth using, too, but it's quite slow, albeit not necessarily as slow as I thought it would be at first. Fire-fighting gives it a lot of weaknesses and not a lot of resists, but man does it ever hit like a truck. Also gets Earthquake. Yum.

2019-11-13 05:04:23

Do the starter manamon show up in the game later on?

2019-11-13 05:16:29

No. they don't. If you like, I trade for you.

2019-11-13 08:01:44

That would be great. When can we do this?

2019-11-13 09:53:21

Well, the problem is, timezone. I don't know what time between you and me.

2019-11-13 15:04:55

@socheat, as I said I remember the tower as being very tough, I was quite pleased that this time it wasn't half bad, Guererrol was getting kicked around by those zimtrobats, then it learned alpha drane and suddenly could hold its own very well.

Then again if I remember rightly last time my party was in the low thirties going in, where as now they're all hovering around level 40-41.
Yeah, someone really needs to mention turning off battlecries whilst grinding, that and having a better idea of weaknesses so I can do more one or two shot kills.

Oddly enough I didn't find the stone puzzles too bad, then again I've played games like Sokoban before, and I usually worked them out before looking at Jayde's guide for the practice. Likewise, I tend to prefer exploring on my own and tend to use Jayde's guide either when I get severely lost, or when I am really pissed with exploring the same area and want some directions big_smile.

What I do value in jayde's guide is firstly the manamon explanations, and the lists of manamon per area so I can make sure to keep my stocks up.

'Jayde, Deciced (whose name for some reason Daniel pronounces like desist), is the one I was thinking of, though again as the only deciced I have is level 15 that would mean lots of grinding, plus I'm not unhappy with my current party at the moment anyway, again, we'll just have to see.

I wasn't as interested in feefee for attacks, since firetypes seem to have lots of weaknesses, plus if I want earthquake my Leonata with the gravity magnet equipped is a walking natural disaster, however since I remember you can't go back to the tower's inside, I wanted to make sure I could catch Feefee later to complete the manapedia.

Actually I rather enjoy the catching and collection aspect of the game, at least now that my party isn't getting constantly slaughtered, and it'll be nice to move on to Manamon ii knowing I've got all the stuff in the first game.

2019-11-13 15:21:41

It's Feefeye, not Feefee. F-e-e-f-e-y-e. Given that its evolution is Foefum, it's meant to be a play on the whole giant thing.

A lot of training spots in Manamon have ice weaknesses to hit. Almost everything outside Tangeria Tower is weak to ice, and almost everything outside Orianda (you're not there yet) is also weak to ice, but several levels higher. That said, it can be very easy to level a Deciced or whatever. I won't say you absolutely need an ice type, but it can't hurt.

2019-11-13 15:50:54 (edited by Socheat 2019-11-13 15:53:11)

In the Manalith Factory now. I won't be able to play the game from tomorrow on, because I am out from the city for two days.

Dark, If you want to have a deciced with high level, maybe we can trade when I'm back. though I believe if you're in UK for now, I am available usually at this time. At the time while I'm writing this, it's 8:51 PM. I need to finish this game as soon as possible so that I can get started in my new, shiny Manamon 2.

2019-11-13 18:41:47

Yep, Feefeye makes sense, blaime Daniel, I did actually wonder where the Fie went big_smile.

I've just installed Manamon on my laptop so that I can shuttle between machines using One drive to transfer my save files, which I'll likely be needing to do a fair amount what with things as they are at the moment, since my lady's hospital appointments are near my parents, but obviously we still want to live at home.

As to deciced we'll see, it will depend likely upon current party weakness I'm guessing as well as my own patience :d.

@Socheat, thanks for the trading offer, but I'd prefer to try things out myself at this point as well as get the training points if I can, since some extra stats can't hurt, plus of course online trading was quite the pest when I tried it, my connection, as apparently the right ports aren't open and as I can't get at the router settings without changing the network password, which would in turn mean changing connection settings on two laptops, two Iphones, two victor streams  and an Amazon  echo, its waaaaaay more trouble than its worth at this stage big_smile.

once I'm through the tower, I  take deciced for a spin and see how it shapes up, although as I said, I'm eager to get into exploring the new areas and such after that.

Oh well, shadow puzzle here we go.

2019-11-13 19:04:16

There's also a trick where you can level another manamon fairly quickly depending on whether or not you can engineer it properly. Generally we just call it the exp trick, but here's how it works.

slight
spoilers
1. Get a manamon that knows a recoil move (Oblivion Slash is the main one, but Waterbomb or even Takedown would work).
2. Kill stuff until you're about to die. Alternatively, stand in a fireplace or something for long enough that you're nearly dead. The point is to get your manamon to low HP.
3. Now, your recoil move has to be able to kill whatever you're attacking, as well as you. Hopefully, too, the manamon you're fighting is way higher level than the manamon you're trying to speed-level. Anyway, whack it. It dies, you die. Bring in the mon you want to give experience to. They'll get tons.
I have routinely gotten like 17k experience from a single fight this way, running around with a high-level Dussocket with Oblivion Slash killing stuff in late game.
Just bear it in mind for when, in trying to complete the manapedia, you need to grind levels for stuff.

2019-11-13 21:16:25

Well I confess I'm going off deciced a little, since its at level 22 and its only offensive move is pounce, if I could get it to an
effective ice attack I might be seeing some improvement, but right now I'm not impressed, though I'll see if i can get it to 30 before making a decision.

the battle with curo was almost a let down, her orotrics (or whatever the final zimbat form is called), kept using a move which damaged it against Exponge, who was regaining more hp than it was losing  thanks to its recover ability. Seeing the poor creature dive itself into oblivian against the invensible wall of sponge was almost depressing, then again she never struck me as exactly an intelligent person.

I liked how  small plot elements like the statues in the tunnel came into prominence here, and while the hole trite villain destroying the world because he's eeeeeevil! is the biggest cliche in the book, at least the sounds are cool, the summoning of the god  quite an audio event.
I will say though, its painfully obvious heree, just as it unfortunately was in Paladin of the skies, that Aaron is thinking heavily in terms of mainstream rpg scripts. No person is ever described, which makes it really hard to get a handle on people, quite aside from the fact that they just stand and wait for you to talk to them and the actual scenes have minimal descriptive text.
If your going to have a text game, even if your using a fairly standard "evil villain with evil organisation wants to  summon an evil god to end the world because he's evil" plot, you can do a little more with your text, especially if text is what your working with, and really just telling us what a character like Dustin looks like, how he acts or maybe giving him an accent would've let us connect a little more with him.

On the plus side, I'm now through that bloody sewer. The ruins of amica town actually did make me feel something, even if not quite the main character's emoness, mostly because my dog's currently unwell I was feeling sorry for the poor person who lost their Mirkit, and i definitely got a sense of devastation in the atmosphere walking on all those ruins.
Then again I really don't like all this stupidity about the main character's father. The fact that we the player have already seen a scene of octurus torturing the main character's father for information makes all of this "did he betray me" stuff a bit unreasonable, quite aside from the fact the main character has no evidence of this other than the word of an evil villain, and as we all know, world distroying psychopaths with ridiculously dramatic names always tell the truth big_smile.
it would've been so much better had Aaron simply mentioned the father disappeared, then had the revelation about the pendent and the supposed betrayal, perhaps from a character like Yavin, then left it up to the player to wonder what exactly was happening, was the father really evil? Was he in fact Octurus? what was going on?

then again, I freely admit, I'm not fully expecting stellar storyline or complex characters at this stage, what I'm expecting is a fun rpg with enough  to keep me going and perhaps give a shcok or two and some villains to pound on whilst I catch monsters and do turn based battles, which is exactly what I'm getting, so I'm not going to be too hard on the plot here.

2019-11-13 21:56:26

Okay deciced got ice cutter and improve a bit, though the ruins of tangeria tower aren't quite as handy since it keeps getting hit with holy attacks, still the strategy involving mutual destruction xp let me gain three levels in one fight thanks to exponge's waterbomb, so handy find there.

2019-11-13 22:38:32

Hey, Socheat.

I live in the eastern time zone in the U.S.

2019-11-13 23:40:19

You'll hit a point where Ice Cutter or your other attacks just do too much damage. Holy attacks definitely suck for Deciced though. Ditto fighting attacks. This thing absolutely loathes the Palador line.

Yeah. I had serious problems with the story at this point. And I dunno about you, but for me, the weird summoning sound put me in mind of something stuck in a box trying desperately to get out.

2019-11-14 03:16:24

I read that in your guide Jayde, but to be honest I don't agree about the sound, to me it was a nice dramatic bit of audio which actually did give the scene a little gravitas.
My party in the  fourties are pretty destructive at the moment, when I did run into a feefeye I wanted to catch I had  switch to guererrol and use implant, then wait for Feefeye's health to drop low enough, since anything else pretty much Ko'd it in one hit big_smile.

I haven't fully decided whether to go all the way with deciced and retire one of my team yet. Exponge is tempting since its most damaging attack is waterbomb, on the other hand it is such a tank it can take the backlash without trouble and it's already come in handy for training, so we'll have to see, then again having a few extra higher level options for Manamons probably won't be a bad thing.

2019-11-14 05:46:08

Eksponge's waterbomb eventually gives way to something much, much better, at level 45 to be exact. That should close the deal for you I'd think. Dramegon gets drench at 31 or something, but it's slow. There aren't many things you'll fight with eksponge that it won't go first against. That and guerrerrol are among the fastest things out there.