2019-11-04 15:12:06

Just chill out, if people want to kindly ask if someone can buy a game for them, then just let them, you don't have to read the topics where people are asking for games, as reading through the other topic there are people that truely can't afford or are even able to get the game they want due to restrictions in their country, so if they want to ask if someone could kindly help them out then  that's up to them.

Like others have said at least if someone is kind enough to buy others the games then at least they won't try and crakc the game instead, which would be taking money away from developers who work hard bringing us some good games.

2019-11-05 15:59:48

I agree with op here.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-11-06 14:06:09

WHat is your problem here man?
Don't want, don't buy. I would very happily help these people if I only had money.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-11-06 14:17:05

Okay, story here.

I'm on the Beta testing team for Your adventure by Pelantas and None vision games. As such I was given a free copy of the game to provide beta feedback, which I duly did to the best of my ability.

your adventure is a pretty good little crafting rpg, and what's more one with nice music and a lot of potential to go other places, as such it's a game I probably would've bought anyway.

So, I decided to donate ten dollars to the game's development, as I have with several projects I like. I could've just bunged a paypal donation, however I decided to gift the game to two people instead.

That way firstly, three people get to play the game instead of just one, and secondly, None vision games get 10 dollars from me, rather than the five they would've got if I'd bought the game for myself. Net result, more happy players and developers, and more people playing the game over all, and possibly less people using cracks.

So, for me there is absolutely nothing wrong with people asking for games if others can help get them, indeed I looked at one point to see if we might setup an audiogames.net gifting account on paypal just for this purpose (but that isn't possible.

Personally, I sympathise with anyone wanting to play games and unable to due to reasons such as paypal not working in a given country or lack of funds due to being a miner, and if wanting to play games makes one entitled, then I am certainly a very entitled person big_smile.

I would only have said the requests for assistance buying games get "out of hand" if they interfere with the usual running of the forum, EG there are so many game requests it interferes with legitimate discussion, and at least thus far it doesn't seem that is the case, or at least not from what I've seen anyway.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-11-06 14:39:38

I see those who show displeasure with people asking of games can be gifted to them aren’t even bothering to read the rest of our posts to actually gain some insight as to why it’s better this way.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2019-11-07 11:10:12

I don't mind it when people legitimately ask for a game to be gifted to them. I have three general caveats:

1. Be patient. You're asking someone to make a purchase on your behalf, and they may not know you. Give it time. Also give yourself time to know whether or not you really and truly want this game. It's been out for five days, during which I've played it a ton and am now well on my way to taking it apart the same way I did the first Manamon game. Maybe if you wait a little, you may realize you don't want it after all. Or maybe you'll experience a small financial windfall that will let you purchase it for yourself (I know that not all of you celebrate Christmas, but it's coming, and that may work for some of you). I also know that being patient is hard.
2. Please, for the love of god, don't spam. One user by the name of Fred did this, and got a caution for it. If you've told us once that you can't afford the game/want to play it/whatever, then call it good and just try to be patient. Connect with whosoever reaches out to you, but one message is more than good enough. If you keep pestering, you're likely to piss people off.
3. And this follows with 2, but for heaven's sake don't create new threads for the express purpose of asking for a game, and try not to ask for a game in an unrelated thread.

These things have all been done to some extent (i.e., people have broken these caveats), which I find annoying as hell.

But as I said, I have nothing whatever bad to say about the practice of asking for a gift. Some people really are in a bad spot. I am not wealthy by any means but was fortunate enough to be able to get myself a copy, but am not in a position where I can justify helping anyone else.

That said, I love what Trajectory is trying to start (the donation train thing), and some people who can't afford forty bucks might be able to afford five or ten in order to get that goodness going. Sometimes those things can get insane momentum.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-11-07 15:39:13

@31 I completely agree with you!

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-11-07 15:50:48

I agree with @31. I see multiple topics with titles like, "someone please give me x game." It is annoying to me. They should just put all the request in one topic.

To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-11-07 18:14:08

I see Jaydes point; my problem is the risk of exploitation. I know that people are in a bad spot; my caveat is that when people (who may be in a good position, we don't know) see others buying things for others who are in a bad state, they will exploit that good-will. I'm not really sure how to ID this.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-11-07 23:48:21

When you are in a forum, you must realize that people from all walks of life are there with you.
There are probably a lot of kids on here, who have no money.
I see no problem with a polite request for a game.
If you can help, do so.
And for those requesting, when you are able, pay it forward.
If you don't like to see requests, ignore them.
If ignoring the topics you don't want to read isn't something you can do, how about this?
A "Game Requests" room.
Put all the topics there, those who are able to help can read them, those who are annoyed by them can avoid that room.

2019-11-08 02:19:46

I think that’s an awesome idea!

TWITCH

2019-11-08 11:53:52

the problem of these topics is the amount of them. like there is 8 threads with titles like, can I have manamon 2? and multiple people post multiple requests. like cant you just ask once?

2019-11-08 12:53:06

As they are not breaking any rules, we will not be locking or erasing them.
If you don't like them, please skim past.
Thanks.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-11-08 20:04:01

I don’t think post 35 was annoyed about the requests, I think they were trying to make a suggestion for a new room where people could post requests, out-of-the-way of regular game discussion.

TWITCH

2019-11-09 07:11:19

That wouldn't make a difference.

Most of us, I know I do, read these forums by sorting the threads by new posts, so if those threads are getting constant updates, you're going to see them regardless.

I simply skip past them.

2019-11-11 06:40:23 (edited by defender 2019-11-11 07:00:16)

Does anyone else find it ironic that stirlock is calling people entitled, while at once assuming that the majority of the people asking are first worlders just like him who can buy the game if they simply wait a bit and save up?
After several people pointed out the Paypal/currency conversion rate issue, he still hasn't responded to it.I wouldn't be calling you out stirlock, if you hadn't created a topic just like this at almost the exact same time last year.
We all made the exact same anti piracy and better community arguments last time, and just like now, you had very little to say against them.  If you want to bring up some actual points, like how maybe we should be spending this money on charity instead of entertainment, or how we should be filtering people more carefully so that those who are just being impatient or recently got something else won't get a copy, or any number of other valid observations.
Instead you once again seem to be wanting an outright ban on asking (period) and this year, their aren't even multiple topics to annoy you.
So, although I doubt it will make any difference since it hasn't so far, I'll say it again...  If you don't like it, than freaking ignore it!
No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to click on the threads, and if just seeing them gives you an aneurysm, than might I suggest your pillow?
Specifically, I would alternately scream at it about how bullshit this is and punch it, and then sob and shriek into it when nothing you say changes anything.

2019-11-11 06:58:00

@Liam no it isn't breaking rules, but it is very difficult for those like Trajectory who would like to make nice deeds such as this one, as they have to make a list and check it twice.

Twice a day.

He shouldn't have the role of santa claws, going through all of the topics seeing which boys and girls get the gifts. Having them all in one topic, was part of his criteria to make it easy on him, and for keeping the donation topic clean to easy to breeze through.

You don't have to enforce it, but making it a point would definitely make it easier for those wanting to do such deeds.