2019-09-19 07:31:37

Hello guys,
Me and good friend of mine decided to learn C# and we both coming from a different programming languages. He's use to play with Java and Python mostly and I usually work with PHP, JS, other web languages and a bit of C++. We both want to learn C# together and it seems hard to find appropriate book that gives not only theoretical knowledge, but exercises where we actually need to do something to insure that we understood the chapter well and can entertain by doing at least something simple related with the section we read.
Since our level of programming is rather different, we wish to start likely the same - from scrach.
We I was looking to C++, one good book to start was "Programming -- Principles and Practice Using C++ (Second Edition)" with a lot of drills, exercises, examples and good theoretical background that helps not to lose yourself on a track.
I know the topic where you put the resources for a programmers and the books that are in the section of C# list is not very promising when we're talking about exercises, so perhaps someone has something to recommend?

2019-09-19 08:15:10

Hello
Perhapps you could find what you're after in this list
here

Paul

2019-09-19 08:48:54

As I mentioned, i checked this list already.

2019-09-19 08:54:31

Hi,
I think this could be what you're looking for:
https://www.ict.social/csharp
I don't know how far they got in translating from Czech, but it seems there is quite enough material, so you can have fun with it. Exercises are paid however, so this won't be free.

Best regards

Rastislav

2019-09-20 13:54:23

Hi,

If you already know how to program one language, I don't know if you'll gain that much from a book. I recommend just diving into C# and building a super tiny project (maybe a simple game) to start. As you are already proficient in looking things up on the internet, you already have the main skill you need to learn what you need to know. I learned C# this way too.

Join the Games for Blind Gamers community Discord, and help us create better games for blind gamers! Your feedback could really help! Click here to join!

2019-09-20 15:39:02

Trust me, if you care to look through the C# books I linked in the list post 2 linked you to, all of those books give you invaluable information -- especially Professioanl C#. That book might be out of date, but is, by far, one of the best C# books I've found thus far.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-09-21 02:24:23

Yeah, perhaps you're right about the book to be informatinve and another guy about the things looking on the internet, however I usually use books because of the good theoretical background and I just love to create what they say to do by following chapters. I guess it's the differences between the styles we use to learn and I already know the way my brain use to handle data / info efficiently.
We baught a books Learn C# in 1 day. I usually avoid such books, because from the personal experience - there impossible to do it professionally even after months of decent work, however I thaught it might be as a syntax guide big_smile and I started to read it today. Since syntax is almost as in C++ + Java + PHP Mixture, I don't feel as cut off from the way I go as I thaught I would, but there are no chapters so I took some of them to implement from my other books I have about C++, however since I already solved them it's not so interesting and they don't always follow the current topic. I believe tomorrow I'll end this book, because only new thing in there seems to be linq and in a simple matter (I mean not deeply explained), so I guess I'll pick something else to move forward.
Friend of mine has a lacl of tasks in the past as far as I got, so it would be a good help even to help him to learn by giving an exercises that follow the topic, but I guess I have to look them on the net.
By the way, how are you creating Windows forms, or even better - WPF? I tried to use that IDE and it works well for coding, but for a Designer, NVDA starts to lag / hang up when there are more elements /  controls in the form. You write controls by hand or have some partial methods like I quickly managed to work out - create these controls by hand and use VS as a refresher?

2019-09-21 05:58:25

@7, I just use the designer, NVDA seems to work well with it for me. It doesn't with WPF; there's a nice GUI library out there (its called XWT) that I use to make those (though I don't use WPF that often). As for theoretics, I unfortunately can't direct you to any books on theoretical knowledge involving C#; your more likely going to find books on general theoretical knowledge involving programming languages.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-09-21 09:33:03

I found the way to code by using XAML designer. The point is that designer starts to hand up / lag when I add more controls to the main window, so I decided to write all the code in XAML editor. When I try to add an event on the control by using Designer, it hangs up as well so I just open another instance of VS and create a new control by choosing all the properties I want for that particular control, then open the XAML editor to get the code of that new element I added and copy it to my current instance of Visual studio to create the control with the properties I want.
As a matter of fact, that way it even let me to get a suggestions from IntelliSence as well as add handlers to the controls and when I add new handler, for instance click event, it creates a code in particular class to react to that event in the method.
I hope that in the future by practicing I'll be able to write all the attributes like in HTMl by memory by having no problems of making forms either way.

2019-09-21 15:00:36

Hi,
@7 possibilities of the graphical designer are very limited, especially in WPF case. WPF is fully relative positioning based, so instead of placing elements to certain positions, you usually split the screen to containers where you fit them, what is not impossible, but can be done much easier from the xaml than graphically.
Plus there are lot of functional things which you can do in xaml, like bindings, which you will most likely use whenever possible, so having a nice and readable xaml is again very handy.
Thus many professionals prefer writing WPF guis manually over designing them with mouse. I recommend it as well, it isn't complicated at all, as in most cases default values will be suitable for you, so there is minimal amount of writing if you need just basic things.
That's not the case of Android for example, if you want to see a messy form code, just check out its xml system for creating activities. big_smile
And even if it was hard for you for any reason, there is still intelly sense, which can help you quite a bit if you forget something, so I don't see the reason myself why to mess around with the designer.
Some people might prefer it because they were used to Windows Forms, however WPF is on a completely different level.

Best regards

Rastislav

2019-09-22 09:04:08

@10, you're absolutely right, my thaughts are the same, thanks for confirming that.