2019-08-17 14:46:43 (edited by ogomez92 2019-08-27 11:21:11)

Hi all!
I released the new version of beatstar which fixes all the problems you have been facing lately, though old save files with the .dat format are unsupported.

Here is the list of changes in this version:
Version 6.0.0
Fixed a misleading message that said if you want to change the ingame language you must delete your save. This is no longer true and can be done in the main menu.
fixed a cosmetic bug in ready set go, where time would display as 2 seconds instead of 3. Bugger! this did not affect the game, though.
Fixed a bug where the save function (s during a game) would still allow you to  fail once more and waste a possible safeguard when pressing enter to get rid of the "saved!" message.
Added an audio locator which plays before each level starts, to give you an idea of what the ideal beat rhythm is. Such is the power of event driven code instead of traditional timers.
fixed a bug where pack quizz would let you play even if you had less than 5 packs with more than 1  level unlocked.
Audio ducking works properly now.

Finally music files now  "stream" so beatstar loads faster than it ever did.
Reworked the way beatstar synchronizes loops so that it never gets out of sync (unless the pack maker gets their beats wrong!). the way it's done now is that, every time the new loop plays, the game ensures that its timers are in sync.
Fixed a bunch of small design errors like music fade times.
Music files for the levels now stream instead of being loaded into memory in their entirety which will (hopefully) make for a smoother beatstarring experience. This has the side effect of them not being able to pitch down while pausing or failing, which is just a minor inconvenience I think.
Removed question when setting up the game if you wanted to change the pack folder as it confused people, just go to the menu to change it.
rewrote the directory handling tool so that it more accurately checks for errors and doesn't freeze up the game.
Beatstar should no longer wrongly say that there are "x" packs to download when you already have all the packs.
Fixed a bunch of errors opening and loading and saving files.
Beatstar now saves screen reader vs tts preference.
added a new branch (local, not available in the gitlab repo yet), for the keep the beat game.
The resynchronize function for the music timers runs every 32 frames per second. This should be ok for everyone and only changes 1 timer, there is no game loop anymore, meaning that the CPU usage should be more efficient. The keyboard check function is now only executed whenever you actually press the keyboard, to make up for this change. In other words, good stuff. Event driven code and all that.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-08-17 14:51:19

Thanks for still working on this great game. Looking forward to new changes.

2019-08-17 18:06:46

It's really not as great as I'd want it to be. The transition to electron still has some underlying issues I need to fix, because people are running into multiple issues when running the game and sometimes I can't figure out what's up. Thanks for the positive feedback.

2019-08-17 18:13:05

Yeah, it's always like that when trying out new things for the first time. I hope you'll manage to solve all the issues, best of luck.

2019-08-17 18:59:16

Bro. Save data from old version to new version is not the end of the world. Now if we were talking a story line game or a type with lots of payed content, that would be different. But with this game it is just packs, that with enough safe guards can be beaten. Don't feel like you are a disgrace to the world because the data didn't transfer. Also in your data conversion topic, most people said they are fine with restarting anyway. You aren't disappointing many people for something that you have had major trouble with.

Hopefully this new version will be easy for you to work with and will make it loads easier on you, the old electron version make you sound like you were going to hell to do simple things.

2019-08-17 19:22:53

haha
this one's still Electron, just doesn't use a custom encryption system that was not supported

thanks

2019-08-17 19:38:18

Well, good game, I especially like the fact it uses prerecorded speech, no screen reader lag or anything.
A few bugs.
1.  when downloading all packs by selecting the all option the game just sits there.
If downloading by selecting the packs, the game just does it.
When playing, if you loose the game will also just sit there, sometimes once I got it to do whatever but it just sat and didn't do anything.
There is a new version of the game, you are using 4.0, please get the old 3.5.1 because its new, I have the latest version so why is it showing that.
I agree with the other poster, I had unlocked several packs but as long as I can get access to my store of pack data and I can, its not like its really gone is it.

2019-08-17 19:59:32

hi
I'm slightly confused, beatstar does not use prerecorded speech
it defaults to using your tts voice or your screen reader
on mac it uses tts by default, windows I'm not sure if I changed it to use your sr first.

2019-08-17 20:59:55

Yeah it uses TTS by default on Windows as well, I found that strange but switching is easy enough.

2019-08-17 21:11:10

I agree with 5, it's not that hard to unlock packs again. In fact, I lost my save file awhile ago anyway, so I would have had to start over. Beatstar is one of my favorite audio games, so I'm definitely glad it's still being worked on, and excited for whatever new features are coming.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-08-17 21:42:23

I actually preferred the old v1 version of Beatstar.
ATM this 1 is crashing randomly at the end of levels and so on.
If someone has a copy of old Beatstar, please could they post it?

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-08-17 22:07:12 (edited by Nikola 2019-08-17 22:16:36)

I do have it, but it's slightly pointless to play it I believe since well first you wont be able to get any new packs, and second many bugs of this version are indeed fixed, and the best way to make the version better is to try and collect as much info about a bug as possible. For example fortunately the game never crashed for me while playing.
Edit: When I was talking about this, I assumed you mean the BGT version of Beatstar, meaning the latest release in BGT. However, I also realized you might have been thinking of 1.0 as in literally the first release, in which case it might be on the archive.

2019-08-17 22:53:57

I assumed he meant the BGT version as well. The only thing I miss about that version is Keep the Beat, I really liked that mini game.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-08-17 23:17:16

Yep, keep the beat, beatbox and wealthy chance were great, which is exactly the reason I even keep that version.

2019-08-18 04:25:39

Oriol please, add those 3 minigames. And i liked the new beatstar more when achievements were self voicing, it is really unrealistic now. Please add some minigames.

Best regards: Marco

2019-08-18 07:28:26

he is using a different language then bgt and is still learning. Give him some time. Also be mindful that he could be busy with other things. But yes those mini games were good, I will be glad if they do make it in the new version.

2019-08-18 08:11:54

Hi
I just found a library that will let me add keep the beat to the new beatstar, maybe make it even better since it uses different synthesizer sounds. This could be interesting.
Anyway, wealthy chance, if everyone likes it so much I guess I can add the self voicing game again. I'll try to port it over big_smile

2019-08-18 08:21:39

Wealthy chance was my favorite

2019-08-18 09:08:20 (edited by Zarvox 2019-08-18 09:25:11)

I am also getting the bug where after a game it sits there and doesn't do anything. I need my beat coins? Game says maybe not

Edit
Maybe you should have called this betastar because there are a lot of menu bugs. I I can't return from achievements menu and I accidentally clicked on spoilers so I just entered through all of them and then, the blue, or maybe black, I don't know because I am blind, but silent screen of death hit the application just like after a game.

I was able to get some beat coins after failing on level 2 on purpose, but on level 8 it didn't do anything. But I just played again until level 9 and it gave me my coins. So I say fail the pack first then try to beat it maybe. Or maybe it doesn't do anything if you got an achievement. That might actually be why.

2019-08-18 10:07:02

I am also getting that bug. Also, i think the self voicing achievements were more great than the currents. Can you add a who wants to be a millionaire minigame sometime? I agree about the wealthy chance game, it was great. I hope it will be added.

2019-08-18 15:54:23 (edited by audiogame 2019-08-18 15:54:53)

I agree with the posts that say beatstar freezes. It happens especially when I lose. And also when I kill the game it reverts back to tts.

-
"There is beauty in simplicity."

2019-08-18 15:58:57

audiogame wrote:

I agree with the posts that say beatstar freezes. It happens especially when I lose. And also when I kill the game it reverts back to tts.

Yes, try to fix that soon.

2019-08-18 16:02:51

I think sometimes it has to do with achievements. That's probably not the reason for the game crashing after every round, bu I have noticed whenever I get an achievement, that is one of the rounds it freezes. Even when I got the go to work achievement I had to relaunch the game to download the default pack. Abbd it doesn't alert you when you get an achievement, so it's hard to prove this theory but I think it is worth looking into.

2019-08-18 16:34:55

Yep, can confirm this, and definitely think it has something to do with achievements as well. It crashed for me on launch too and I forgot about that get to work achievement.

2019-08-18 16:45:53

Yeah I did mean the BGT version.
ATM its more stable, and I miss the old mini-games as well smile

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps