2019-08-24 17:27:10

#299 jfayre
By default, the scratch sounds are bound to either E and R (for the left side) and U and I (for the right).

D and F for steering is only used while using the speed boost ability, where you skip over the rhythm notes, so it is fine if D and F are also bound to other things.

2019-08-24 17:27:33

the best in the world, sorry but the game only works on 64-bit systems.

2019-08-24 23:36:07

I know that this has been mentioned before, but barriers are kind of a pain at the moment.

I'm trying to complete the Brutal Defenses bonus objective on standard difficulty, essentially avoiding any collision with barriers.

The problem is that, while barrier sounds play from a distance, which is great, I do not know when I am in very close range, which of course changes with speed. Thus, I think I either boost too early, or too late, instead of boosting when the barriers are not near me, which is the center of the stereo field, as far as I know.

When boosting, I try to judge how the barrier moves, and usually turn to the side that the barrier just moved away from, or, it is about to move to, hoping that I will have enough time to slip past it.

This strategy seems to work a lot of times, but it is not a hundred per cent perfect, unfortunately. It would be very nice to know when the barrier is past my rig.

The other problem is when I turn, at least via the keyboard, it is extremely sensitive. Sometimes my rig hits the wall and takes damage even when I am not turning. I assume this is because of how the track turns, which can really throw you off.

There is a part on the same track when I assume there are multiple barriers, as I crash into one when the other one is to the left of me. If this is the case, it would be very helpful if we could have the barrier sound pitched differently for one of them.

I usually don't mind hitting barriers when it's not a bonus objective, at least for now, I don't have problems with the first few missions even on ultra. So I am definitely not complaining, just wondering if I am missing something or if we have enough indication of what's going on with them.

Otherwise, I love the game, I might even pick up a second or third copy to gift and to support development, @special magic games you really deserve it.

One more thing, this is with 1.1.5k, at least according to Steam. I don't see the 1.1.6 update yet.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2019-08-24 23:46:51

I want to add a doppler-type effect that will change the pitch of things when you have passed them.  That might help a bit.

2019-08-24 23:52:44

That would be indeed awesome. It's not even the 20 credits at this point, but the challenge smile

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2019-08-25 22:11:08 (edited by Dark 2019-08-25 22:32:35)

@special magic games I'm afraid I am still having the problem I mentioned on the previous page. Though I bought the game and made the credit card paymentt my game reverted to the demo version after the recent update, and its still running as the demo, even though on the steam website it lists "sequence storm" as ready to play.
Indeed for some crazy reason it shows me having demon hussle with a gold medle and  lists the mission as "unnavailable in the demo"

My steam username (is darkthetenor, could you please have a look at the problem?

sorry if I did something wrong in the unlocking, I don't have much experience with Steam, and with the crappy interface on the client I'm not sure if its working correctly.

Any advice much appreciated as I would like to go on playing through the full version of the game which I bought.

Oh, and if you'd like me to email the receit, please let me know.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-08-26 00:59:37

@Dark: Try to uninstalling the game (via uninstall app in windows but you need to have Steam active and after pressing on uninstall just click enter in the steam window) And try to install it again.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2019-08-26 02:48:53

dark, A few people have had that problem.  I think it is just Steam being stupid.

If you right click the game in steam's list, then go to properties, then the local files tab, and then click "verify integrity of game files" it should force it to update.  Or maybe just restart Steam.

2019-08-26 12:59:44 (edited by Dark 2019-08-26 13:00:29)

@special magic games thanks for the reply, glad its not anything I did wrong, sadly right clicking on the game's name in the Steam window doesn't seem to do anything for me, but Lirin's tip about uninstalling worked.
I uninstalled the game with C cleaner, hit enter on the steam window (got an almighty clang sound), then closed steam with the task manager and ran  it again. I now seem to have the full version, hurray!

Hopefully it'll now update itself properly when new versions come out.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-08-26 13:10:33

I hope it's working! Sadly, for some reason right clicking on the game is not showing the menu like before. It seems like Steam changed something. This is actually very bad as I am testing few projects which requires to get to the properties of the games and getting the beta versions.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2019-08-26 13:40:03 (edited by Dark 2019-08-26 13:41:21)

As I said in general game discussion, the steam interface does not seem entirely screen reader friendly to me. Usable yes, but not as functional or consistent as I  hoped, still as long as I can run games its okay and  a lot of functions seem possible on the website.

to that end, could someone please let me know where the exe file for sequence storm (or whatever Steam has), is located? When I uninstalled the demo it killed my shortcuts, and I'd prefer to run the game from my start menu if possible.

Oh, and on the plus side, the game is awesome! I'm loving the rhythm action, though still haven't got the idea of steering or where these slip streams are exactly, though I was still able to finish the fresh meat mission in first place thanks to timely boosting.

Btw, is there a way of rewatching the story sequences before each mission? I think I hit enter a bit too quickly on the margrave's contracts and want to see the text again.

2019-08-26 14:05:42

Dark, first of all everything is located in the steam\steamapps\common\ The exe is located in the SEQUENCE STORM folder.

I am playing with controller and to repeat the story just press X / square on the mission instead of A. Try pressing other stuff on the keyboard like, space? backspace? No idea sadly, sorry! haha

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2019-08-26 16:30:04

You can review the story by pressing the X button or F5.  If you press F1 or click the right stick then you get a list of all of the controls.

2019-08-26 17:07:56 (edited by Dark 2019-08-26 17:10:42)

@Smg thanks for that, ironically I hit every key on the keyboard and found f5 before trying f1 :d.

Okay two questions, I've unlocked a hole bunch of missions and done some bonus objectives. Firstly, those barriers, the sound seems to not  stay still in the centre. When I try boosting and hitting d and f I usually end up hearing lots of damage sounds and ramming into the sides of the track a lot.
I've mostly not been using boosts and steering, just relying on hyperdrift and getting the sequences right, however in both barrier missions I've scraped by only with a bronze medle.
Is there something about the sound panning I'm missing?

I also wonder about stat points, since I'm not really sure when its best to put points in cornering, and when best in acceleration, I've got three stat points so far.

Lastly I'm on the welcome to demon space mission, is there a way of actually avoiding getting rammed, or is it just a matter of being super accurate so the ramming doesn't make a difference? Thus far I tend to be in first place for a while, then get knocked back to third, presumably because I get smooshed, but I'm not entirely sure how to avoid this at this poinnt.

Lastly what the hell are Holds? Whenever I finish a mission, the stats say "zero holds" yet I did the more synth brew mission, and suddenly finished it, and the bonus objective, which was apparently to execute three holds, which I did (or at least I got the credits and completion for it), though my stats still say I executed zero holds.

Btw, I'm loving the game and the cyberpunk atmosphere, sort of like neuromancer meets speed racer big_smile.

2019-08-26 17:22:41 (edited by robjoy 2019-08-26 17:26:04)

Ah, yes, the barriers smile

The way they work is they move from left to right across the track. The trick is to speed up when they are not in front of you, so you can clear their range before they move to where you are.

Steering is very delicate, as the track does not seem to be too wide. Listen out for the wall sound and the way a track turns, as you can take damage even if you are not turning when you should. Ultimately, taking damage from walls, unless you are completing a bonus objective, is far better than taking damage from barriers, since they will also slow you down and that can be problematic later on.

You can freely move stat points around, so you can adjust your setup for whatever the current mission needs and of course based on how well you do certain things.

Acceleration, for instance, will not help much if the track turns a lot.

Keep boosting when you are in first place, remember, your power does not need to be maxed out to boost. Make sure you keep your distance and use them whenever you feel you need to. Being rammed also slows you down, as far as I know, so that might be why you go back to second and third place.

Yes, the atmosphere is brilliant, futuristic but '80s at the same time, while the story, as cheesy a tiny bit as it is, really makes the game shine even more.

Edit: I am still trying to get the Brutal Defences bonus objective on standard, they are tricky for some reason. Oh well... One day.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2019-08-26 18:00:09

lol this is a little scary. I have played Sequence Storm for 47 hours. hahaha. What do you guys have?

2019-08-26 18:21:45 (edited by special magic games 2019-08-26 18:22:08)

I hate to ask, but it would help me a lot if any of you could review the game on Steam.  I only have 24 reviews which isn't enough to get any kind of exposure on Steam.

Oh, I've got 530 hours played.

2019-08-26 19:01:48

Hmmm, didnd't know the barriers could move, though even with the boost module I still seem to not be doing well.
I'm playing on standard as it seems hard enough big_smile.

I did finish demon space, though god knows how (possibly due to the mind tap module), and god knows equally how you'd actually manage to get the bonus objective. Rather ironically I seem to at the moment have all the objectives that involve hitting keys in rhythm and none that involve actual racing, or maybe its just that boosting goes for such short periods I haven't got used to the race sounds.

if the pan of your engine is to tell you where the track moves, any way of turning that up? At the moment unless I look at the screen I have no idea what is going on in the race, . I get the double bing sound is when you pass someone but other than that I'm not sure exactly.

Oh and what's with the arcade mode? even on easy using the easiest track I am stuck in sixth place no matter how well I do at the rhythms, indeed I just seem to get left behind and that is that, which is odd since I'm on easy difficulty, but I'd like to earn some more credits, or at least have another mode to play on and more stuff to unlock.

I'l also see about dropping a steam review.

2019-08-26 22:09:28

Dark, the double bing sounds are actually to tell you where turns and straight-aways are in the track.  The bing down on the left or right tells you when a turn is starting, and the big up in the center tells you that a straight-away is starting.  Also, the entire music track will pan a bit to the left or right during turns.  The narrator will narrate your placement whenever you pass or get passed.

There are two rival difficulties available in arcade mode at first, with the default being the harder one.  Maybe you can try changing that.  The key to winning races is to gain as much boost power as you can, and then to use the boost power efficiently.  Missing notes is very detrimental because it causes you to not gain any boost power for that entire section.

2019-08-26 23:07:58

I'm really enjoying this game so much, I even took my mom's computer just to play it lol.
thank you for creating such an amazing game.
if I had a credit card, and if the currency here in Egypt wasn't so stupidly low? I would totally buy it!

Hi, my Skype name is, anr1235, feel free to add me if you wish, i love to make new friends, and thanks.

2019-08-26 23:37:46 (edited by Dark 2019-08-26 23:48:04)

@Smg thanks for the info, I was rather wondering how you tell what the track is doing without looking at the screen, so presumably using boosts on straights is a good  idea.
thus far  I have been concentrating on hyperdrifts since they let me maintain a rhythm and are less likely to have me crash into things, however as far as arcade goes if the rivals difficulty is set to Junior I always seem to end up losing even on an easy track.

Oh though I have worked out how to get past those blasted barriers which means I'm continuing to get the bonuses big_smile.

2019-08-27 04:14:09

The game doesn't tell you, but you have access to your upgrades and equipment in arcade mode.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2019-08-28 12:32:46

@special magic games: Is the 1.1.6 build posted on Steam? I remember you posting the change log last week, but Steam does not display it as of yet in the patch notes.

I'm just wondering because of the barrier improvements.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2019-08-28 12:56:54

Yeah, exactly, I can't see it too.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2019-08-28 17:23:06

Yes, it is.  Steam seems to be doing weird things.  I also saw the issue where it reverted to the demo!  I had to do a "verify integrity of game files" to get it back to normal.