2019-07-21 00:16:39

If it's a cutscene that just plays a block of text all at once. Then a single Play TTS action will do.
If you mean something like dialog that progresses with each button click. A variable counter than increases with every click on a press event maybe. And then maybe in the button release event have condition check what the counter is and play a TTS message depending on how far through the dialog the player.

Did that answer the question?

2019-07-21 07:09:26

Yeah, dialog cutscene progress with each click was what I was going for.

Thanks, I'll have to try and find a system that works.

2019-07-21 20:44:43

I'm thinking about starting a YouTube video series of user requested tutorials. Just little tasks people would like to see made.

This dialog progression could be a good example. What do we think? Is it worth doing? Any requests?

2019-07-22 07:41:03

at post 53 yes, i agree on this one, could be possible  menus 2

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2019-07-23 19:41:15

Okay so the walking sound seems to play constantly and it doesn't have something to stop it. Can we make the sound play at a speed we choose? If so, how? Also can we make a random walking sound play each time we walk? So for example we have a stone tile, we have stone1.ogg, stone2.ogg, stone3.ogg, stone4.ogg and stone5.ogg. Can we make the game play one of these randomly each time we walk? Thanks in advance.

2019-07-23 20:05:17

Hi Charles. Yeah all this is possible. As a matter of fact I helped someone achieve this  not long ago.

The walking speed is just an audio file playing. So you would need to change the speed of the audio file. Just increase or decrease the tempo in something like audacity.

The random footsteps can be done by setting a variable to a random value and then playing a walk sound depending on the variables value.

Then setting the variable to a new random value on an audio finished event.

This could do it. Depending on what event the walking sound is being played in

2019-07-23 23:33:13

Orin at message #52. I have posted a video to show how a TTS conversation can be progressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IXYBvZ … e=youtu.be

2019-07-23 23:59:27 (edited by Charles 2019-07-24 00:00:48)

no no I'm not talking about the speed of the audio file it self, I'm talking about the speed of the action, I want it to wait until the first audio file finishes witch is the step and then I want it to play it again, because if it doesn't wait it'll keep going and that will cause a bunch of files to play at the same time, that leads me in to an other problem, audio files interrupt each other, how do I fix that? I noticed while creating the farm game that if I press s, w, a or d 2 or 3 times it interrupts the already playing sound and plays it again, I don't want it to do that.

2019-07-24 01:23:44

I was the one Aron helped to get the random footsteps to play if a certain material is being collided with by the player object. I got it to work like a charm.

2019-07-24 09:57:44

So if I understand correctly Charles. You want to use the audio finished event to play the step again and move the player?

So the player will move when the Audio finishes and then another step will play.

And if you have a stop audio action on a release button event. That will stop it.

As for object audio interrupting itself. Each game object is assigned a channel when it plays audio and the listens for that channel ending to fire the audio finished event. So its 1 channel per object.

What I do is I create objects that are just for playing audio then dying.
I would make an object called something like Swing Sound. Swing Sound would play the audio on its creation and then destroy itself on audio finished. And whenever I wanted to play the swing sound effect, rather than using a play audio action and would use a Create Swing Sound Object action.

Hope that makes sense

2019-07-24 14:02:38

An other question. I noticed when I was checking how you created the main menu in witch hunt that you made the game delete all other objects, why is that?

2019-07-24 14:06:54

Once the game is past the menu stage it doesn't need those objects anymore. So I get rid of them. Then if you die it goes back to the menu and they are re-created.

It's for resource management. The more game objects that there are the more the software has to loop through. Although for games of that small size the difference is milliseconds it's still good practice.

2019-07-24 19:30:31

Hi. Can you try to make a video on how to make a simple main menu for a game? I got confused, don't know what I'm doing wrong

2019-07-25 15:05:56

Hi Charles. Yes no problem. I was thinking if making a video showing me remaking the witch hunt menu

2019-07-25 17:16:44

Yeah that's fine

2019-07-28 00:02:44

Hey Aaronlp check your private messages please.

2019-07-28 00:50:52 (edited by Aaronlp 2019-07-28 00:51:43)

Hi Charles, regarding the message you sent me. Can you paste your Held event code for me? I suspect you have a play audio action in the buttn held event code which will fire 10 times a second. what I do is add a variable to keep track of if the audio is playing by setting it true when audio plays and setting it false on audio finished. then I use a condition to check the variable is false before playing it.

if you are unsure how to paste the code. go to the event and click the GDE script button. it will open up a text window that you can copy.

2019-07-28 18:26:13 (edited by Charles 2019-07-28 18:27:15)

Here it is
if "L" "random" "==" "C" "1"
playa "concrete1" "1"
endif
if "L" "random" "==" "C" "2"
playa "concrete2" "1"
endif
if "L" "random" "==" "C" "3"
playa "concrete3" "1"
endif
if "L" "random" "==" "C" "4"
playa "concrete4" "1"
endif
if "L" "random" "==" "C" "5"
playa "concrete5" "1"
endif
On the audio finished event
rsetlv "random" "1" "5"

2019-07-28 18:35:08

Sorry for double posting but why when we run the game and press P the program stops respawnding?

2019-07-28 19:59:51

Yes so what is happening is every tenth of a second the game is generating a new variable value and then playing another random sound. How I normally approach this issue is by have a local variable called "Playing". I then put everything in the hold event in a condition to check that playing equals false. When I play and sound a set Playing to true. And then in the audio finished event I set Playing back to false again. I hope that helps.

Also P is the pause button

2019-07-28 20:21:41 (edited by Charles 2019-07-28 20:22:06)

oh p is the pause? But it just crashes when I press it, it just stops respawnding and I have to close the hole GDE program
Thanks for your help

2019-07-28 20:30:08

I'll have a look Into the pause issue and see if I can  make it crash for me as well.

Glad I could Charles.

2019-07-28 21:54:17

Hi, I've got the same issue when hitting the p key.

2019-07-29 17:19:47

Yeah it's strange.

2019-07-30 06:56:15

hay, I have a question. for the g d e, can you include vidio?
so we can make games for boath syted and blind people to play?

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.