2019-06-14 01:31:53

Hi,
I have seen many people on here praise visual studio, so I thought I'd try it out. I have one question, however. How do you find errors with a screen reader? I have tried writing faulty code in both Java and C and I haven't fseen any alert when I move through my code as to there being an error. I saw something on a google search about line annotations but when I look for this in settings and in keyboard shortcuts, I can't find anything. Thanks for any assistance.

2019-06-14 05:57:22

You could turn on the output window in settings. When you run code it pops up to let you know what kind of errors you have made. Or at least it did when I was trying it a while back. Or read the log file, or use object nav in NVDA to reach the errors. The only problem I had with reading the output window was that I couldn't figure out how to switch back to the text editor part of visual studio.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2019-06-14 14:32:30

Are you using the VS Code or Visual STudio? If you use the "big" visual studio, use the alt f7 shortcut to move back and forth between error list and your code.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-06-14 14:38:51

So in your title you mention VS Code, but in your post you talk about VS, so I am not sure which you mean. VS is the heavyweight IDE and VS code is a lightweight code editor. I will just assume you use VS code as thats what I use, so that I can write about.

Navigating to the next problem/error/warning is bound to alt + f8 by default. When you press that your focus will jump to the description of the problem. this is outside of the editing field. after reading the description, you can go back to the editing field by pressing shift + E on NVDA and pressing spacebar to focus on it. Your editing caret inside will have jumped to the line where the problem is.

One important thing to note is that for problems to be detected you need the appropriate language support. Usually when you start editing a source file, if you dont have the recommended extension for it, VS code will alert you and you can download and install it directly from VS code.

I just checked on my machine and code linting definitely works as described for Java. I tried C as well, but there the linting doesnt seem to work for some reason, although other features like autocompletion work fine...

I use the recommended extension packs for both.

I have had really good experiences with VS code especially when it comes to autocompletion. Note that It is written and natively supports TypeScript/JavaScript so that's where you get the richest support, but support for other languages is also generally excellent.