2019-05-05 17:13:08

So, I'm graduating soon, and I will be receiving a new MacBook Pro. Right now, I have a 2012 MacBook Pro with an i7 processor with 8GB of RAM, and a 5400 RPM hard drive. How much faster is the 2018 version compared to this? Like how long does it take to boot, and how long do apps take to open?

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-05-05 18:05:06

Please, please don't get the 2018 if you can help it. Do not get ripped off by that sorry-ass excuse for a machine.
1. silicone layer under the keyboard, to make it quiet? Seriously? If you haven't caught up with the latest from the chaos newsroom, the butterfly keyboard in macbook pro's 2016 and up is an attempt at an extremely quiet, yet flimsy keyboard. The keys break ridiculously easy and you don't wanna be paying extra for Apple Care beyond the one year warranty.
2. No third party system repairs or upgrades: Where do I start on this one?
I was able to upgrade the hard drive of my 2015 and get a Transcend Jetdrive820, 480gb drive. Incidentally, that thing had faster read and write speeds than the Apple/Samsung-manufactured ssd. Well, on the 2018 mbp, word has it that if you get a third party operation, the system integrity check will catch you and brick your machine. This matters a lot when you take into account that Apple's repair costs are obscene, tantamount to getting a new machine.

2019-05-05 18:56:54

The SSD will help immensely on all operations. That will be the biggest improvement you will see. Talking about boot time or launch time for apps to open depends on so many things it is not worth discussing. Take it and know that it will be faster.

I also don't recommend the new MBP keyboards. Sad as it is they don't seem to be as reliable as they should be. If you could use a bluetooth keyboard or use a desktop mac (MacMini or iMac), It should help delay the inevitable. I know that A desktop is more expensive, but depending on your workflow you might want that more.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2019-05-05 19:03:41

Problem is that this thing will most likely be for college judging by the fact he'll be receiving it at graduation, so it needs to be portable.

2019-05-05 19:31:37

Jack, you are correct. It's going to need to be portable, and I wasn't planning on getting the 2018 version, just because presumably, Apple may release a new version. Whether it fixes the keyboard is anyone's guess at this point, but if so, I will be very happy to get it.
But you are right about the keyboards. I remember when the 2018 came out that Apple was saying it his "more reliable," and then I saw a video that showed that it actually wasn't.
My only other worry is the Touch Bar itself. I figure that it isn't of much use to us, but I am curious if anyone has any experiences with it.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-05-05 20:00:23

Touchbar? Laggy, more of a gimic than anything else, not worth losing the function row. Try finding an mbp2015.

2019-05-06 18:48:52

Putting this out there as someone who had a mac for the longest time, I was extremely unsatisfied with it for school. I found it to be a real hassle to properly format anything when compared to word on windows, with everything being doable but taking much, much longer, and this was even before I started doing Powerpoint and excel assignments. Whenever I complained about the hassles of writing on a mac, I was told to use text edit, but text edit is not something you can use in an academic setting because of it's formatting options.
To this day, I couldn't tell you how to do a hanging indent on a mac, or how to get footnotes working. Now, I don't know if this is just user error, so someone please correct me if I'm completely missing the mark. In the end I went ahead and bootcamped my mac, at which point it felt like a huge waste that I'd paid several thousand dollars for the thing. And this is even before we get into the new ones, which have the keyboard, which is awful, and the touch bar, which is worse.

2019-05-06 21:21:27

It all comes down to screw the Mac as an efficient productivity tool (sorry, it just doesn't cut it.) IWork only dreams of efficiency at night.

2019-05-06 22:14:49

Yeah that's something I've had to deal with. I still like it because I'm used to it, and I may be getting some sort of PC from vocational rehabilitation, because there may be cthtain applications that are accessible on one but aren't on the other.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-05-06 23:48:48

You can use vmware fusion to run a virtual machine. just get a machine with 16gb of ram if you're gonna do that, because windows 10 sucks on my machine with only 8gb.

2019-05-07 17:01:20

Or just get a surface laptop, or something similarly specked, someone will save money. I have a 2015 macbook air, and it works fine, i just think it's more for consumption rather than productivity.

2019-05-07 20:10:19

Remember  office 2016 is on MacOS and it is fully accessible. While Pages is a Fully featured program and it has most if not all of the features of Word, you can still use Word if you have to. You can also get the office suite of apps for free usually if you are enrolling in a university. Just sign in with your school credentials when you download it.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub