2019-05-03 17:26:09

So...quick question, people.....what's the best way to download a site? I've tried httrack, no luck. I'm trying wget, not sure how that'll work out

What I want to do, on Ubuntu, is download a site, and mirror it, so I can browse it offline. For example, I'm trying to download a wikia, and be able to browse it offline. So.....can wget do that or not? Can httrack do that?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-05-03 17:35:25

Any such software available for windows?

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2019-05-03 17:42:45

Httrack is, yep.
Okay, this is weird. On my Linux box.....httrack does *just* the index.html of the wiki I'd like to download. I'm doing this, and I've changed the wiki link because reasons

httrack --connection-per-second=50 --sockets=80 --keep-alive --display --verbose --advanced-progressinfo --disable-security-limits -n -i -s0 -m -F 'Mozilla/5.0 (X11;U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Firefox/3.5' -A100000000 -#L500000000 'http:/examplewiki.fandomcom/wiki/'

That just gives me the index.html file. Which is all well and good...but....I'd like the entire wiki thanks.

Also on Linux natively

2019-05-03 19:20:16

I mean, I'm not positive if this works, but on window, in chrome, I was able to download the current page+site files, but it seemed to be mainly js css and other misc files.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-05-03 19:49:22

There is an -R switch., Set it to -1 and it will work

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-05-03 20:02:47

I'll try that Nuno,. @Redfox: I said Ubuntu up there in post #1, though Chrome crashed when I tried to save a whole site. Go figure....

Currently got HTTrack running, but it's slooooooow and keeps refreshing FF when it grabs a file. Which is hella irritating really, though.....I'm using webhttrack in FF for this, and I'm slowly getting there

Also on Linux natively

2019-05-04 13:16:37

My personal experience is also, that while httrack may get the job done, it's terribly slow. Still it's probably just me not knowing what values to give to what parameters and just sticking to defaults in a fear of messing stuff up.

2019-05-04 13:56:55

So, got the site mirrored via wget. Yes, httrack is slow, I removed the speed limit and upped the max sockets to 80k, it still transferred at 20kb/s. wget worked at 5.5mb/s

@2: Grab wget for Windows, then do this for wget in a command prompt, after going to the directory where you want to save the site.

wget -mkEpnp  <site>

Or if you want to use httrack, install winhttrack (windows) or webhttrack (Linux), both walk you through mirroring a site.

Also on Linux natively