2019-04-06 06:15:18

@92 Excellent work.
Assignment 1, radio emulation is great.
You placed the frequency at 100Hz, -30dB gain and bandwidth of 2.
Exactly the sound we are going for. You can even get more aggressive with your negative gain if we want older and older radios/telephones - for example a -40dB gain sounds like a radio from the 60's.

Your underwater emulation is too low on the frequency - we want to cut out higher frequencies. Your bandwidth is quite large which is fine, but your frequency is at 330 so what happened is, you are cutting out all the low frequencies we want. Try keeping the band width and gain the same, but move the first band to a higher frequency like 6,000Hz.

Your voice optimisation is perfect - don't change a thing. And if I were you I'd write down that exact combination of EQing for voice optimisation as a starter point, and tweak from there. Again EQing is like a recipe book and you've found a really great recipe with that combination.

Assignment 2 is also excellent. You achieved exactly what I asked for - the wind noise is gone.
If we're preparing this sound for a client, we might want to be wary of cutting out the natural wind howling/gusting noise. For this assignment, again, great job, 100%. But just be wary that your band width is VERY wide at 1 here, and it does cut out all that nice howling. It's good to know that for the future. Experiment with a width of .15 to see what I mean.

Very well done.

2019-04-06 06:19:21

@99
With your radio and underwater emulations, absolutely perfect. Well done, I wouldn't change a thing.

Do you have the voice optimisation and wind noise removals? I only have the first two in this pack.

2019-04-06 06:19:21

Oh did I really use a high pass filter... I didn't want to if I did lol. I was trying to stay within the parameters of the assignment, which didn't mention using filters. I was originally thinking of using a notch filter on the wind, but decided against it because it wasn't talked about. Also, the reason I had all those tracks muted rather than soloing just the one is because I know that Reaper will not process effects on muted tracks if that pref is set, but I'm not sure if that applies to solo'd trakcs or not, so I usually mute tracks if I'm trying to free up resources.

I put the selection info because it was very useful in finding the wind and then isolating a clip of just the wind and working on it, then toggling bypass off and on with B to see if I was taking things too far and damping parts of the recording. I also didn't want to like completely kill all traces of the wind either, just the rumbly bits.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-06 06:22:28

@103 Yes you did, but it worked perfectly hahah. I'll allow it!
You are clearly well versed in Reaper so I'm not too worried that you got to the finish line from a different path. It sounds like you know how to get the sound you want but you're taking the course to understand the "why" better? Let me know if that's incorrect.

Yeah that sounds good. That's the next step - we're going to remove noise that's present in a few different places next time and we'll really need to repeat the same second of silence over and over and over to get it right. That was helpful that you shared that.

It is *crazy* how many really great sounds there are on freesound that people overlook due to wind noise, and it's a 20 second fix for us now.

2019-04-06 06:31:01

Somewhat, though I'm far from professional by any means. I do know how to do some of this stuff, but at a proficient level, I'm not sure. Some of it is also just not knowing what I don't know yet. I wouldn't really call myself a sound designer, half the stuff I come up with, I don't really know how I did it and couldn't do it again. Also, I wouldn't want to teach this EQ stuff. One of the ways I tend to gauge my understanding of a subject is if I try to explain it to others. If I sort of breeze through it, then I'm fairly confident about my knowledge in that area. If I tend to stumble through it, or say well wait a minute, let me look something up, or well, maybe this or that, then I don't know it as well as I think I do. So that's why I say I wouldn't want to teach it, because I don't think I know it well enough to teach it, and teaching stuff is kind of my benchmark to see how well I know the subject matter.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-06 06:34:49

Oh, sorry for the double post, but I had a thought. Sooner or later, we're going to hit an issue if people keep using dropbox to upload their assignments. Dropbox will eventually start cutting people off and giving errors that say something like traffic limit exceeded for this account or some such thing. For me, I have a secondary machine that sits idle most of the time that I have Arch Linux on. I can put a web server on that machine and serve my assignments from there directly with no issue. Others might not have that option. So, I don't know the right solution or even if there is a universal one, just sort of putting the thought out there.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-06 06:47:01

@106 good point. For now I think we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I don't have a better solution right now.

Discord server is up. https://discord.gg/T5pwuR7
This thread will still stay active, as most people don't want to join Discord. I won't ask you to, but it will help you access all relevant information in an organised way.

2019-04-06 10:52:10 (edited by grryfindore 2019-04-06 10:53:12)

Hi,
A few things
First of all, thank you again for doing this and I really appriciate what you are doing here. so, huge thanks
I watched the lesson 1 recording yesterday, your voice was real low, like iron cross said, besides that all good.
Perhaps I have something wrong, or maybe I didn't get something, but when I try to change the recording or at least your voice to sound more radioish it does work, but the volume of the recording goes down too.
I.E -30 db gain? to -60db, the voice sounds more and more as if its  coming out of a radio but the voice's volume is lowered so much that you can hardly heare anything. Is there' something I could do to fix it?
Slightly curious, although we may learn this in the future, how would I give your voice bits of statics just like you would on a radio? not a very clear one to be sure big_smile
Lastly, I am really new to reaper so I apologise for dum or questions with obvious answers, but to submit my assignment, do I just save project and upload it to dropbox as is?
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2019-04-06 12:48:05

@101, Thank you.
I see what you mean with the radio.
One thing I am generally confused about is that if you go below -60dB on band gain, it will not have any effect on the track, even though you technically can go further down. I've tried setting the general output above 0, just for testing purposes, so I could see if decreasing the band gain by more than 60 would have an effect then, but it didn't. I'm wondering why you'd be able to go further down if it doesn't change anything.
Regarding the underwater assignment, I thought we were limited to frequencies between 20 and 2000 HZ as instructed in post 79. I totally get why setting it to 6000 would be a better choice though.
As for removing the wind, I believe .15 is not enough to do the trick, at least not with how I have set up the other sliders and you did mention a limit of .2 as well. I found .65 to be a suitable option, but I could still hear a low rumbling sound as the track was progressing further.
@ironcross32, oh he did mention a high pass filter to cut everything below 60 HZ for the optimized voice, so you did comply with the instructions. smile

Errare humanum est!

2019-04-06 12:58:14

Hi.

Does reaper actually have something like a live listen feature? For example you can change properties of the audio, hit a key and listen to what it sounds like? or do you need to change a setting, hit ok, listen, get back in the menu, change something again, hit ok, listen and so on and so forth.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-04-06 16:11:45

@108 I'll work on my voice being louder next time. I'm not at home - at home I have some nice monitors but I'm now staying with my parents for a visit for a few weeks as I live on the other side of the world. Anyway the point is, I'm using gear I'm not used to. That problem will fix itself next video.

It sounds like your band is too wide - it's cutting out a lot more frequencies than we need. Have you tried a band that is very thin, like .15? I'd say that's where you want to start.

You would probably want to download some static noise and overlay it on top of my voice in another track. Freesound will have some.

We could generate some but that will be in a future lesson and I don't know how to do it with Reaper. But the process would be to find a tone generator, set it to white or pink noise and bring the volume to barely audible, it'll add some nice textures. We would also need to automate the volume so it isn't just playing full bore all the time.

Yes, upload your saved project so I can get in there and dig around, checking what you did. Cheers!

2019-04-06 16:15:19

the blasting gd wrote:

Regarding the underwater assignment, I thought we were limited to frequencies between 20 and 2000 HZ as instructed in post 79. I totally get why setting it to 6000 would be a better choice though.

You're right. I didn't phrase it well. I wanted to give you a starting point and not give the answer away, and I wanted people to experiment. My intention was not to limit you, just to give you a starting point. Sorry about that.

2019-04-06 16:17:18

@109
If you find the right frequency, .15 would be enough to cut out the low rumbling sounds. If you listen to them - they don't change in pitch (highness or lowness) at all. It's all the same low tone which means we don't need a wide filter at all. Try placing a .15 band, -40dB at around 50 or 60Hz.

2019-04-06 16:22:07

@110 I'm not sure. We aren't directly editing audio yet though, just using an EQ filter which you can turn on and off with B. I'll look into it!

2019-04-06 17:58:03

@109 that is a bug and I get it too, just don't go much below -60dB.
@110 What I do is this, just hit control R before you press F to enter the effects dialog, then inside it, you can hit space as needed to play or stop it. I made a post further up explaining how to do time selection which I used in the second assignment to listen to just the wind parts. Control R puts it on repeat.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-06 18:26:37

how do we listen to diffrent tracks in a project,
when i press up and down it tells the the track names but i dont know how to play with them
when i press space, it keeps playing the first track
and whow do we move the curser, when i press left and right, i'M moving through something but the playing thing does not change
any help
bye the way i'Ll upload the assignments tomorrowbecause my dropbox, is sort of fucked at the moment and im not at home

2019-04-06 18:40:36

Hello,
I have made the first assignment but don't know how to save it as wav.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-04-06 19:49:04

@116 All tracks play at once by default. If you don't want that behavior, select a track and press F6 on it to solo it, which means only it will play. You can solo multiple tracks, so in a 5 track project, you could solo 1 and 3 and only those two would play, control F5 clears all solos and returns everything to playing. F5 can be used to mute a track. Muting is sort of the inverse as it will only mute the track you say, not everything else but that track.

Whenever you import a media file into reaper, it puts the cursor at the end of it. So first, hit w, or control home to go to the start of the project, then you can use the arrows to scrub. If you hear things but its too slow to be useful, hit - (minus), if its too fast, hit + (plus). These are on the main row and I guess I should say hit equals because technically plus does something different which I won't mention here because its not important.

@117 You would do that through the render dialog, which you can get through control alt R. However, the thing is, if you do that, then your work cannot be checked. I think the assignments are supposed to be uploaded in project form, so the instructor can go into your project and look at your settings. You can hit control S to do that. now, my thing is, I have specific paths set up under preferences. I don't remember what reaper does with stuff without having done that. You'll need the .rpp and the original media, which is why I recommend going into preferences with control P, finding the tree view usually with shift tab, then hitting home, making sure General is expanded, then going down to paths. If you create an initial Reaper directory somewhere on your HDD, then fill in all those paths as subdirectories of the main directory, your life will get a whole... lot... easier. Also in Windows, you will have to create the folder structure yourself, Reaper will complain about the path not existing when it tries to use it, so create the folder structure yourself, then fill all that into Reaper.

The other thing I would recommend doing is when you hit control S to save, there are options that you don't see in the tab order, so you need to use object nav or jaws cursor to get to them. The best way I've found to start is to tab to the file type then hit NVDA numpad 6. Depending on what version of Reaper you have, that may enter you into the checkboxes, or, like me, you have to use NVDA numpad 2 to drop into the next grouping, then use NVDA 4 and 6 to access that stuff. Let me see what I have checked, because there are a few options that will help you. Especially convert media, which will make the internet gods love you, because uploading everything as .wav is huge. Create subdirectory for project, oh yes, yes yes yes, do this, definitely do this, believe me, it'll make your life so much easier when you have to zip the thing up. Copy media into project directory using... Again, all the yes. Then convert media, check that, then the convert button, I'd select flac, just because it's lossless but still smaller than wave., then you can leave the rest of it be. I'd then save, and if you did everything I outlined here, you'll have a nice, organized folder structure where everything is easy to find and new projects will get their own subdirectory with their own media copied in for you.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-06 19:53:20

Hi.
@Ironcross, thanks for the hint, I will try it out.
Something else though. I couldn't really set up reaper and play around with it due to school beeing quite taxing the last week.
In post 24 or so you uploaded an audio platinum course. Can I actually use that one to learn the basics of  reaper or is it heavily outdated and you would say I shouldn't use it?

Greetings Moritz.

2019-04-06 20:00:47

#118 thanks for your post. Here is my assignment. I just uploaded the rpp file.
https://yadi.sk/d/qVxlsrXkAp8qgQ

I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-04-06 20:10:41

@119 It's two years out of date, or two and a bit, but there is still relevant info there, yes, I would say it's good to get you up and running with Reaper still.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-06 20:13:15

Hi.
Ok thanks, I will give give it a listen, because I really don't know how to operate reaper, what keystroke does what and so on.
Isn't there a reaper wiki for the blind or something like that, thought I heard of that. Or what would you say helps next to the course learning how reaper works.

Greetings Moritz.

2019-04-06 21:15:18

@120
Excellent work on steps 1 and 2 in assignment 1.
I wouldn't change a thing.

Did you want to try step 3 in Assignment 1, and assignment 2?

2019-04-06 22:12:14

I didn't, ı will.

2019-04-06 22:32:22

what do you ment with optimised voice, i didnt quite get that
and the sound still plays normaly when i press left and right
no idea what m i doing rong here,