2019-04-04 20:36:20

The opposite of tab is shift+tab.

2019-04-04 20:48:46

@76 THANK YOU.

Oh my god I WAS READY TO MURDER SOMEONE.

2019-04-04 20:50:46 (edited by daisyalesoundworks 2019-04-04 20:52:17)

Relevant shortcuts, full list here: https://github.com/jcsteh/osara

Control T: New track

Zoom in current track: =
Zoom out: -

This sounds visual, but it effects how quickly we scroll through a track with the next set of shortcuts
Generally, zoom in until it's around 40 pixels per second

Scroll through track: left and right arrows
Select different tracks: up and down

Alt F: file
Alt E: edit
Alt V: view
Alt I: insert
Alt M: Item
Alt T: Track (this is a broken binding - OSARA has it as toggling on the master tempo track. You'll have to press ALT M and then right to get to the track listing.)
Alt O: Options
Alt A: Actions
Alt H: Help

Toggle FX Bypass (ignore) on current track: B
Bypass on Master track: Shift B
Nudge track volume up/down: Alt+Up Arrow/Down arrow

If you've added an effect (like EQ in the first lesson), select the track and press F. The window will pop up letting you manipulate the effect. Press escape to get rid of it.

2019-04-04 21:20:14 (edited by daisyalesoundworks 2019-04-04 23:10:44)

Note: I used windows game recorder which does NOT record screen readers. The screen reader voice is hard to hear, sorry about that. I'll work on that next time.

Lesson 1:
https://youtu.be/kSTfi1J_HaE

Assignment 1:
Download the following file. It's me talking. Don't listen to it like it's instruction, it's just audio to work with. https://www.dropbox.com/s/znlnozfzs1gf0 … 1.wav?dl=0
Open Reaper. Press control T for a new track
Press Alt V and scroll down, selecting FX browser
When you hear "tree view" find "EQ" and press enter. That effect is now applied to the track.
Press Alt I and select media file. Find the file you downloaded by navigating through your OS, probably downloads folder.
Press tab until you hear "frequency slider" or "frequency HZ edit"
Set the frequency to anywhere between 20 and 2000. You'll need to come back to tweak this setting later.
Press tab. Set the type to "band" in the combo box.
Press tab. Set the band gain slider to anything below 0. You'll need to come back to tweak this setting.
Press tab. Set the bandwidth somewhere between 0.2 and 3. You'll need to come back to tweak this setting.

Your task is to tweak those three settings to produce the following effects on my voice:

DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT increase gain at all above 0.

1. Make my voice sound like I'm talking to you through a radio. Experiment with different hZ.
2. Make my voice sound like I'm talking underwater. Experiment with different hZ.
3. Challenge. Make my voice optimised. There is no set formula here, as EQing depends on each voice.
Use a high pass filter in the combo box mentioned earlier, and remove everything below 60hZ. This will cut out the "muddiness" of the sound.
Leave tab 1 alone now! When you hear "bands tab control" press right and move to tab 2.
Make the band type "band". Make the band gain around 3dB. Make the band width slider around 0.3, something nice and skinny.
Make the band frequency around 2,000 hZ. Experiment here.
Move on to band 3!
Lower the gain to -3dB. Set the frequency around 400hZ. Set the band width around 0.8

These are the basic settings for voice optimisation. They cut down on the low muddiness in the male voice, they lower the frequency of the middle of the band, and slightly emphasize the consonants. Play the file back, pressing B to bypass the effects you've just created, to hear the difference.

2019-04-04 21:21:00 (edited by daisyalesoundworks 2019-04-04 21:22:40)

Assignment 2:
Download the following file. https://freesound.org/people/nickcath/sounds/176680/
Open Reaper. Press control T for a new track
Press Alt I and select media file. Find the file you downloaded by navigating through your OS, probably downloads folder.
Press Alt V and scroll down, selecting FX browser
When you hear "tree view" find "EQ" and press enter. That effect is now applied to the track and the EQ window is open.
Press tab until you hear "frequency slider" or "frequency HZ edit"
Set the frequency to anywhere between 20 and 200. You'll need to come back to tweak this setting later.
Press tab. Set the type to "band" in the combo box.
Press tab. Set the band gain slider to anything below 0. You'll need to come back to tweak this setting.
Press tab. Set the bandwidth somewhere between 0.2 and 3. You'll need to come back to tweak this setting.

Your task is to tweak those three settings until the low rumbling wind noise is gone, but the rest of the recording is NOT affected.

2019-04-04 22:39:41 (edited by Still_Standing 2019-04-04 22:42:22)

is this setion going to be recorded?

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2019-04-04 22:52:41

OK will do that when the course is recorded.

About workflows, yeah I could see how sighted people could be annoyed with that tab and shift tab stuff. I do also think that sighted people who became hybrid mouse and keyboard users could become much faster. A lot of stuff you do with a screen reader that uses the keyboard isn't even screen reader specific, and is part of the OS.

I do have a shortcut tip to get the tracks imported and the fx in them for your assignments. NVDA users can double tap insert, which will cause NVDA to allow the insert through if that makes any sense, since insert is the NVDA key, a second tap will tell NVDA you actually wanted to hit insert. N.b. Jaws users cannot do this to my knowledge and would have to hit inser + 3 to enable pass through then tap insert (if my Jaws key knowledge is still correct after 10 years of not using it). This will let you select a file or files, new tracks will be created when you do this. This is the same as the insert media item on new track from the insert menu. For the FX browser, hit F, then type reaeq, down arrow, enter.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-04 23:05:42

@81 The recording was just put up. See #79.

2019-04-04 23:06:50

@82 I did not know that. I really appreciate your insights into this stuff, keep them coming and thank you!

2019-04-04 23:20:43

If you have goldwave, you should be able to hit F11, go into devices, and set your input to loopback (your active sound device). Then it will record the system sounds, the screenn reader, etc. To put your mic in this, you could right click on the speaker icon in the tray near the clock. In like, windows versions previous to 10, you could hit recording, if you hit sound settings, it will take you into the settings app, so you don't want that. Hit sounds instead, then click on the recording tab. Go to your mic, right click then click properties. Go to the listen tab, make sure the box is on the active sound device then click the checkbox and hit apply and you'll end up with you hearing yourself, but you'll get the mic into the mix. Of course, if you can do it using hardware, probably better, but that's how you can do it through software. Also, I'll put it here, though I think most of us probably know it, the same way  a screen reader would probably get into that area is type mmsys.cpl in the run dialog.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-04 23:49:50 (edited by GrannyCheeseWheel 2019-04-05 00:09:58)

Going through the course now. Regarding the ruler thing, there is no preference to set its default state, but you can still do it. It is vitally important that you start with a blank project, so hit control F4 just to be sure, if asked to save, well decide, but then let it wipe you and start fresh. Change that setting, its 5 up from the bottom on the view menu, and only that setting. I can't stress that enough, because anything else you might change will be saved like this, and if then, your reaper behaves in odd ways, you might not associate it in your mind why its doing that. Hit Alt Enter to get into the project settings, then hit the button that says, "Save as default project settings". Now, whenever you launch Reaper, it will start out like the settings in the template, as it loads the default when it starts.

***edit***

I've unmapped that master tempo thing because I never use it. Hit F4, go to find shortcut, press ALT T, go back to the list, select the master tempo, tab and make sure the shortcut is selected and hit remove. Once done, Alt T will work as expected.

***Edit***
W will go to start of project, as will control Home.

*Edit*

In that FX window for reaEQ, as well as many others, you can hit space to play from directly within it without the need to close it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-05 00:57:59

@86 that is very helpful - the button rebind. Master tempo is useless for our purposes.
W will go to the start, with OSARA bindings? THANK YOU. That's super helpful.

I'm going to go through this once we've ironed out some more kinks and make a list of helpful shortcuts and rebindings. Thank you for your work.

How do you find the video in regards to presenting information and calling people to action? I know you do sound design work but do you feel equipped to complete the task, by the contents of the video?

2019-04-05 02:43:39 (edited by GrannyCheeseWheel 2019-04-05 02:53:30)

Well, I'm also learning through it as well, I do know how to get around Reaper pretty well for my purposes, but I don't really know this type of thing. I know how to use an EQ, and I use ReaEQ a lot, but sort of the science and stuff behind it and why we're doing these things is new to me. i just normally play with it until it sounds how I like.

Yes, I thought the video was good. It was a bit quiet in voice, I had my sound cranked up quite a bit and the volume in the youtube player was up all the way to hear it normally. Apart from that, no issues and I liked it.

*Edit*

Just a quick tip about dropbox, if you share a link, they will normally end in ?dl=0. If you change that 0 to a 1, and the person clicks the link, the file will be downloaded right off, without having to click on download, then direct download.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-05 04:14:53

Assignments 1 and 2.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-05 07:38:14 (edited by omer 2019-04-05 10:38:52)

how do i select a part of the audio, like my audio is 10 seconds long, and i want to select the first 5 seconds of it, normaly you do that with [ and ] at goldwave how do we do it here?

2019-04-05 10:18:14

hi.

Wow, sounds good, I will start playing around with the sounds when I am home from work.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-04-05 15:19:18

Here's my attempt on assignments 1 and 2.

Errare humanum est!

2019-04-05 15:59:07

@Omer Same way, except where you want the selection to end, don't hit space but control space to pause instead. What pause will do is leave the edit cursor on the spot where you paused. If you just hit space, it returns to the point where you just played from. You can also do it this way, if you really wanted the first 5 seconds and the first 5 seconds exactly. Hit w or control home to go to the start, press left bracket, hit control J and in the box, type 0:05 then press enter. After that, hit right bracket, and you will have a selection exactly 5 seconds long. Remember how in the video, Bryan said that the zoom controlled the arrow speed? It also controls the speed at which you manipulate selections. What you can do is use control, alt, or control and alt with the bracket keys to manipulate the selection in the following ways.

Remember this tidbit first, if you use your left hand to operate the control and alt keys, and your right hand to operate the bracket keys, think of control working on the left edge of your selection, and alt working on the right edge, which makes sense. After all, the control is further left than alt is. Then left bracket will move the corresponding edge left, and right bracket will move it right (while holding either control or alt). If you hold control and press left bracket, you'd be extending the left edge of your selection, providing there is room on the timeline to do so i.e. you're not at 0:00.00 on the timeline when you started. Control with right bracket shrinks the left edge further to the right, shrinking your selection. If you use alt, left bracket will be shrinking your selection's right edge left, and with alt and right bracket, you're expanding the right edge right. I did say you can use control with alt and the bracket keys too. What that does is moves the entire selection at once across the timeline. SO, it will move the left edge and the right edge, and everything in between an equal amount, skating the entire selection with it.

Where zoom comes into play is if you need a tighter range of stepping when you hit each key, i.e. you need to select a single word of speech without clipping into the next word, you will want to hit plus a bunch of times, or hold it down until its in the hundreds. In contrast, to select more with every key press, you'd hit minus until the number is fairly small, around 20 or so. Alternatively, there is another way to make fast selections if you are OK with selecting from the beginning of the project to the edit cursor, or from the edit cursor to the end of the project. This is done with shift home and shift end respectively. Home by itself will jump you to the start of the selection, no matter where your edit cursor is, even if it's outside the bounds of the selection. This one is useful once you start chopping up items and stuff. To clear a selection, hit escape. Make sure in your preferences, you have the thing set to bind loop points to time selection. Actually, let me take a moment to figure out where that is, because Reaper's preferences are vast and you might be looking a while. Ah found it, and another one that's worth turning on. These options are under preferences (control P), under editing behavior in the tree view, they are called:  Move edit cursor to start of time selection on time selection change  check box, and Link loop points to time selection  check box. Oh, while I'm thinking about it, there's one other that you'll probably want. Ah, here it is under playback, it's called:  Stop/repeat playback at end of project  check box. What that will do is make reaper stop rather than playing until infinity because the timeline stretches on and on, even though there's no content. Also, when you press control R to turn on repeat mode, again, very useful, especially when manipulating selections, it will work smoothly.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-05 19:20:09

man, thanks ironcross, i really started to like reaper so much if its going to be like that, i'M defenetly going to throw goldwave lol

2019-04-05 19:31:52

I use both. Each has a purpose, I would not recommend using one editor and never another. Consider them each as tools in your toolbox of audio editing stuff.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-05 20:05:07

@93 That is a brilliant way to remember what the ctrl-alt keys do in combination with the brackets. Thanks for that. I think Audacity has that or similar shortcuts, and while I don't use Audacity anymore, I was *always* tripped up trying to remember which combination of alt/control/shift with which bracket moved in which direction. I think that more than anything put me off of trying to learn it, because on top of everything else I had to figure out some Mortal Kombat-esque combination of keyboard shortcuts to do something as simple as managing selection. And while that alone didn't put me off, that plus lots of other things did. So thanks for removing one obstacle. smile

2019-04-05 20:08:47

Oh, and can we please capture all these setting tweak recommendations somewhere? They all sound great, but I'm not in front of a Windows VM nor do I have Reaper installed yet. They seem like a good punchlist for starting out with a new install, and having somewhere to go to find them all would be helpful. Even if you have an existing installation, having them as a guide when reinstalling would probably be useful.

Thanks.

2019-04-05 20:39:01

@93 Thank you for that - I'd been looking for the time selection tool.
This will be a big deal in the next lesson because the way you remove noise from a recording is to find a moment of silence and play it on repeat, and EQ the inherent noise that way.
@97 That's my next task. I have a guide made for me by someone on this forum so I'm going to post that soon too.

2019-04-05 21:17:18 (edited by sunshine 2019-04-05 22:13:26)

Hello, I have a weird issue. when I tweak frequency for the assignment, I don't notice the difference, even when the FX is set as "active" instead of being on "bypass". I notice the difference when I increase or decrease the  band gain/output gain, but no difference when I modify the frequency, hell, I tried setting it to 20000, it should've gone beyond my hearing range but there was no difference. What can I do to resolve this? Much appreciated, thanks,
Edit: I resolved the problem, this was because I got the terminologies wrong. I thought when you change the frequency, the frequency of the track is affected, turns out that we actually accentuate a band of frequencies by setting the gain and stuff. Thanks a lot @Ironcross  32. big_smile
assignment 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsg903st5bb1c … 9.rar?dl=1
Let me know what improvements are required. smile

2019-04-06 06:02:13

@89 Excellent work. I see you added a bump of 3dB in the radio and underwater objectives at various places. It served you well, sounds great.

On the optimisation, your decisions were excellent. I'd recommend people check out the third track in @89's work.

Optimising the voice needs to be seen like recipes that we're adapting to the specific voice. Sometimes it needs a little more spice and flavour, sometimes it has too much in some areas.

What was done here, for anyone that is interested but not checking out the file:

Band 1
Frequency: 72 Hz
Gain: 0 dB
Bandwidth: 2.49
Type: High Pass

A high pass filter is very important and we'll get into why next lesson. What it does is cuts out all of the low frequencies and let's the high ones pass.

Band 2
Frequency: 2500Hz
Gain: 3.6dB
Bandwidth: .3
Type: Band

This accentuates consonants.

Band 3
Frequency: 442 Hz
Gain: -3dB
Bandwidth: .8
Type: Band

The purpose of this is to dampen the middle frequencies. These are the frequencies that resonate in our skull - the human ear gets sick of them. When they're dampened, we pay more attention naturally to consonants and lower warmth in the voice, that's what gives us that epic hollywood sound when we're optimising voice.

Assignment 2:
Wind noise is gone, well done.