2019-03-03 18:49:20 (edited by frastlin 2019-03-04 15:06:26)

Hello,
I am looking for blind screen reader users to participate in a study I am doing for my master's research project. This study is on nonvisual digital maps.
The study will consist of two parts: first there will be some questions on your experiences with maps, then in the second part I'll show you a digital map prototype and have you accomplish some tasks with it.
The whole study should take approximately 1 hour.
If you're interested, please post here with your time zone so I can PM you to setup a time, or send me a message on Skype. My name is:
brandonkeithbiggs
From Gilroy U.S.

Currently the prototype only works with a keyboard and modern web browser, so if you only use a Braille Note, Polaris, or phone, and would like to participate, please post here and let me know. I'm working on touch support and would like to run a study with that interface once it's working.
The study requires: Skype on a PC (so you can share your sound with me), a modern web browser (Safari, Firefox, or Chrome), and preferably your own screen reader (although the app is self-voicing using the Web Speech API).

I am a second year master's student in the Inclusive Design program at
OCAD University
I have been a long-time audio gamer and have been exploring ideas from audio games in creating nonvisual digital maps. This prototype was commissioned by the Magical Bridge Foundation to make a set of nonvisual maps for their playgrounds.

2019-03-03 19:24:26

hello.
I am intrested.
thanks.

allow me to speak more,
catch me on Twitter
or, Mastodon

2019-03-03 19:34:05

@pool I sent you a PM. Did you get it? I got a Cloudflare error, so I don't know if it went through.

2019-03-03 19:47:21

Interesting concept, in all my life, maps have been difficult for me. I have some vision, but not enough to really get the big picture when looking at a map, then if I would put the thing on a CCTV for magnification, I would see parts of it, then move around and see more parts, but it would be hard for me to sort of fit those fragments together into a mental image of what the thing actually looks like. My O&M instructor would make me tactical maps of a neighborhood, but that's time consuming, and very small scale, because even to make one of like an 8 block area takes so much cardboard and paint. I've also tried the Apple maps explore by touch thing, and it's neat, but I still feel like I'm not getting the big picture. I can hold on a street and start moving to follow it, but I can't really tell when its working and not, because the sound will sort of not change sometimes. I like Eurofly's atlas approach. It is very innovative and actually gave me some geography I didn't know about. But it doesn't do roads as far as I know, so you're basically moving around by unit to different cities. I think something that would work for me would be a map that I could start at a certain place and sort of use it to branch out from known areas. I could stick to known areas to A, reaffirm my knowledge, and B, to get to know the map software. Then, once I felt comfortable with it, I could start to branch out, learn the names of streets, and their direction of travel, and their location relative to known ones. Using a methodical approach like this, I could expand my knowledge of my city.

There are two pieces to this equation that I see. The actual software, and the person using it. The way I see it, both of the pieces that make up this equation have to be good at what they do. For example: The software could be amazing, a gem, a masterpiece, and the person using it might have literally no idea how to make sense of what the software is conveying to them. Also, the software could be utter rubbish, and the person could be a tactical map wizard, a mental map cultivator, and have the sense of direction to go with it, and again, there's an issue. So I think people would benefit from at least some initial training in order to sort of get the hang of reading a digital map, as it were. Some audio content with written supplementary content I think would suffice in that department.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-03-03 21:32:05

no.
I didn't received any pm.

allow me to speak more,
catch me on Twitter
or, Mastodon

2019-03-03 21:50:39

Yes. Please. PM me. This is right up my alley.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-03-03 22:19:23

I'm interested, skype name superfreq2.

2019-03-03 22:41:04

I am interested, skype name is Ink Heart, but you should search it for the id:
Most of you know me by simpaticulalexandru as my skype id but I can't get that normal id to work before I get my laptop back.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-03-03 22:45:03

ya, it's better to send me pm on skype,

allow me to speak more,
catch me on Twitter
or, Mastodon

2019-03-03 22:45:31

Well, I am interested.
However, since you don't get any notifications, on my crashmaster profile, and if you are logged in at the time you can click that email link and email my address.

2019-03-03 23:16:26

I'd be interested. Send me a pm and I'll have a look. I have skype as well!

2019-03-03 23:25:10

HI I'm interested as well, shoot me a PM if you need others. I also can be found on Skype with the ID bscross32, which works better imho.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-03-04 11:44:04

Perfect! I'll send everyone PMs or Skype messages if you gave me your Skype name.
My Skype name is:
brandonkeithbiggs
From Gilroy U.S.

2019-03-04 12:00:31

If it's still open, I'm interested big_smile

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-03-04 14:12:11

hello,
i have low vision, not sure if i need to be fully blind or not, but if i'm allowed to test you could add me on skype my skype name is:
alireza.nosrati.2015

2019-03-04 15:01:44

hello,
it was a wonderful experience.
thanks.

allow me to speak more,
catch me on Twitter
or, Mastodon

2019-03-04 15:23:07

Hello,
I updated the post to ask for people's time zones so I can PM you with a list of times I'm free (next time I'm going to use one of those calendars that do time zone switching for you!)
I sent everyone a message of some kind, either a PM here or on Skype. If you didn't get it, please let me know!
@Pool thank you!
@Angel, I sent you a message, I couldn't find the Skype ID you gave. If I didn't send you a message, can you please send me a message:
Brandonkeithbiggs from Gilroy.
@ crashmaster the email feature is broken on audiogames.net for now.
I sent you a PM, but if you could either reply or send me a message on skype, that would be great.

2019-03-04 15:29:07

I would love to have an accessible street atlas. I've tried google maps and an app on iphone where you moved your finger around and it announced streets and played sounds, but it was awkward to use, and very easy to lose track of where you were. I would really like an app where you could enter a postcode/zipcode, and be placed in that street. It would then tell you which direction you can head in and what streets make up the next intersection. So it might say, you can head east or west, if you head west you come to a 4 way intersection made up of the following streets. If you chose to head in that direction, it would then tell you about the intersections you would then arrive at if you chose one of the four directions to head in, and you could continue moving around the map in this way. It would also be great to have the 'what's around you' feature that you get on things like the trekker breeze and apps like MS Soundscape. So that at any point you could ask what's around and it would tell you which businesses/bus tops/train stations and stuff were in the vicinity.

2019-03-05 11:07:30

If anyone hasn't received a message from me, please let me know. The last day to do the study is Sunday March 10.

2019-03-05 17:30:22

Sounds interesting, I would also be interested to try this. My timezone is UTC+2. and my skype name is the same as my forum name, zakc93