2019-03-03 06:52:21 (edited by daisyalesoundworks 2019-03-03 06:56:29)

Hey everyone, I'm one of the members of Ebon Sky Studios and in an informal chat last night we kind of stumbled upon the idea of creating a video series so that members of this community can become sound designers, which will increase the quality of all the games we put out as a whole, and because with the release of Sable in the future, suddenly we'll need access to a much wider variety of audio to use in the games we make.

The reason I did not post this in the developer section is the purpose of this is to reach people who love audiogames but never thought about creating content for them.

I'm sighted, and I've only just realised that the resources for learning sound design are plentiful for sighted people online. I've been researching tutorials and all of them refer to visual activity too often to be accessible.

I'm going to create a series under the Ebon Sky banner that will teach anyone how to be a sound designer from the ground up. I'm going to be using Reaper, which is free for 60 days and after that (I've read, I'm installing it now) it's still free but you have to click past a screen suggesting you buy it. I'm going to be using NVDA for a screen reader, and I'll have the screen reader on during all of the videos, narrating what I'm doing. Also I'll be using the Osara plugin for Reaper.

Reaper: https://www.reaper.fm/download.php
Osara: https://github.com/jcsteh/osara/archive/master.zip

The series will not start for a little while - perhaps in a month or so, when our Ebon Sky/Sable video series ends. I'm posting this to try to gather up as many people as we can to join in and create sounds.

We will be processing sound effects, creating sound effects from scratch (foley), processing vocal material, best practice in recording the voice, and a few other things here and there. Furthermore, I'm going to post the videos to YouTube, and I'm thinking about making it as interactive as possible - I'll give an assignment and if you want to do it you can post your results as comments. Or perhaps in a thread here.

Lastly, please comment with your interest level. If this already exists somewhere - please let me know. If this isn't something you want at all, please let me know.

Thanks!

2019-03-03 07:07:25 (edited by Stormy 2019-03-03 07:08:05)

I think this would be a great way to help grow the amount of sounds that the community has access to. Maybe it could encourage people to create their own sounds and possibly even share them with the community. If anything else, designing sounds is fun and is definitely interesting whether they will be used in a game or not. There's always more to learn, so count me in. smile

Trying to free my mind before the end of the world.

2019-03-03 07:08:09

I just installed Reaper, it says you will need to purchase a license key to use it after 60 days. The licenses are $60.

Reaper will be the most powerful software under $300 (and I'm told it still can match up quite evenly with the high end stuff) and it's the only accessible software I know of. This might not be something we can get around but if you're serious about being a sound designer, I think $60 is reasonable. We'll see if we can get around this down the track.

2019-03-03 09:12:51 (edited by omer 2019-03-03 09:13:47)

man you guys are awesome, no words other then that
, have been using goldwave for wow, 5 years? and its quite facenating, and i have done good stuff with it
but a reaper tutorial wont harm anybody
bye the way if you need a sound designer for your projects big or small i can try to help you if i ca abel to
this applys for evry developer that has plans and does not have sounds
i have also posted to this to developers room but o well posting here also no harm to anyone

2019-03-03 09:22:23

i am also intrusted to learn sound designing.

2019-03-03 09:22:34

wonderful!

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-03-03 09:30:53

very good idea!

2019-03-03 10:36:28

@4 I thought about doing Goldwave, Omer, but from what I'm reading, Reaper is among the best software you can use - it holds its own with the highest quality software on the market and it's free, and at most it's $60. I think that's pretty cool, we may as well begin the course with the best accessible software out there. I hear a lot of good things about Goldwave, but with Reaper I think everyone will be able to produce stuff they could sell online, or produce work for a sighted game.

2019-03-03 10:37:57

Hi, i am deffenetly interested in learning how to design sounds

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2019-03-03 11:37:10

@8
you can also do those things with goldwave too but, yeah i advise doing it with reaper
it has much more potential and reseaves features in a regelur bases
gold wave also receaves frequent updates but, well not as good as reaper,

2019-03-03 12:39:05

Really interesting. I am a sound designer and I just want to see how it will be executed. Great idea!

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2019-03-03 13:30:12

Hey Daisyalesoundworks,
I'm really interested in this free course.
I'm using Reaper with Osara for professional audio production, so I know how it works. If you need any help with it, feel free to contact me.

2019-03-03 13:44:10 (edited by burak 2019-03-03 13:44:34)

Hello,
I heard something like I can use reaper after the trial ends for free. If this is true, I'm definitely interested. If it's not, a corse will not harm anyone because as you say, it will increase people who can produce sounds and that's a good thing.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-03-03 14:16:38

agreed with post 11, as a seasoned sound designer it would be great to hear someone else's take on it. I have used reaper as well. After the 60 days are up, you can still use it. After starting the program, You have to wait about 10 seconds at the nag screen before the skip purchase button is available and then you can use it for free.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2019-03-03 14:19:55

Great, I'm definitely interested then.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-03-03 14:24:02 (edited by the blasting gd 2019-03-03 16:27:53)

I'm very interested in this course. I already make music with Reaper, but there's always something to be learned right?
Also, I recommend you use the SWS Extension, which extends the functionality of Reaper. The website appears to be unavailable at the moment. However, I'm guessing it will be back up, as the latest version was released less than a month ago and there is no reason to believe this extension has been discontinued. If it should, for whatever reason, not be up soon, let me know and I can provide a link to the latest version.

Errare humanum est!

2019-03-03 14:30:11

Hey everyone, sounds like this is a good idea then. I'm looking forward to it.
I've been talking with Kristijan - #12 - because I'm sighted and I'm afraid I'm going to overlook some critical steps, particularly in setting up the program to run as efficiently as possible.

Again, I have a trip overseas to promote Lost and Hound at PAX East and hopefully give a discussion on audiogames and accessibility through game design, and I'm back home in the middle of April. That, or perhaps slightly before, is when the course will start.

Thanks for all the kind words, this sounds like it'll be a lot of fun!

2019-03-03 17:25:37

ok. I can only say one thing. ha, I cant evon say it.
this is soooo cooooooool!
thees people are very thoughtfull

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-03-03 17:56:01

Yes! 1000 times yes!, and thank you in advance! lol

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2019-03-03 18:03:18

Yeah Reaper will keep working after the evaluation  period is up, kind of like Winrar in that regard. I have a license for it and recommend that, especially if you're selling your stuff. I also agree with 216 about using SWS because it gives extra functionality. The install order I use is reaper, SWS, then Osara. By the way, if anyone does see fit to buy a reaper license, copy it into your clipboard, the entire thing, before you start reaper, and it will say something like, "We found a Reaper license in the clipboard, would you like to import it?" You click yes, and providing the license is valid, that's literally all you have to do to register it. When it starts up, the license and the name to whom it's been registered is spoken.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-03-03 18:13:16

Oh! my god, I am super excited. wanna take these, very thanks

Thanks and regards.
Madhusudan
Visit my youtube channel to dive into accessible tech tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvVJNv … 9wXunGvl9A

2019-03-03 22:07:56

This is nothing but awesome. And yeah, REAPER will run after the evaluation period expires so there are very few reasons to buy a licence. Also, it has better effects, is multitrack and non-distructive, so it's much better than GoldWave.

Best regards
T-m

2019-03-03 22:08:55 (edited by defender 2019-03-03 22:09:32)

This sounds really cool, but didn't someone say that sometimes Golden cursor and OCR was needed for some VST's? I don't know how much daisyalesoundworks has used a screen reader.
It may be helpful to find out which are the most accessible VST's that are free and useful for sound design and not just music, as well.

2019-03-04 02:11:27

@defender
A lot of vst's that rely on visual interfaces often require some form of scripting or OCR to get around, but a lot of the stock PlugIns that come with Reaper are usable via their parameters, and you can get pretty far with them. I find that a lot of smaller, free vst's are more likely to be usable since their parameter list is often a lot smaller. One of the Cakewalk vst's I used to use (I think it was Dimension Pro) had over 800 parameters or something scary like that. The Windows 10 OCR really opened up the amount of vst's that we can get some use out of.

Trying to free my mind before the end of the world.

2019-03-04 02:49:23

tmstuff000 wrote:

This is nothing but awesome. And yeah, REAPER will run after the evaluation period expires so there are very few reasons to buy a licence. Also, it has better effects, is multitrack and non-distructive, so it's much better than GoldWave.

Best regards
T-m

Uh, I don't know that I agree with that bro, but whatevs, each to his own.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united