2019-02-21 02:33:39

Hi guys,
When I first wrote Oh Shit, it was literally a boredom filled Saturday night wherein I just decided to write a little game because I had nothing else to do. I did not expect people to really like it, or even pay it any attention whatsoever. I was thinking I'd post it on the forum, get maybe 3 "oh yeah cool" posts, and everyone be done with it.
However, it turns out that... a lot of you guys like to play it, and a lot of you guys have really good suggestions as to what you'd like me to do. Different offline modes, different online modes... ahem menu music and sounds? Duh?
Given all the suggestions I've been getting, the game as it is doesn't feel complete. It feels like... how do I describe it. Like a house, with 3 walls - yeah it's usable, but it's got a gaping hole of incompleteness in it... and the current state doesn't feel right to me.
However, the code is very... messy right now. Adding new modes would be a royal pain. Like I said I never expected it to go anywhere, so I didn't optimize it for adding new modes and such. Hell, even the Minigame took a while to code because I had to code a new class and everything, change a bunch of... oh you guys don't care about programming. Bottom line, adding new modes, and especially an online mode... that would be a huge pain in the ass.
If I rewrite a lot of the code I can add new modes both offline and online, I can do that sound pack thing people wanted where you have separate folders for the sounds you want, and generally all that will be easier. Not to mention, I can add menu sounds and music, and sounds for those pop-ups, and of course game music.
  So at the risk of losing your current data, which I can't promise I'll be able to prevent, would you guys be alright with an Oh Shit rewrite? For me personally, the completing of the game and a much better set-up would be worth it, but I know everyone has different opinions. So yeah, let me know what ya think.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2019-02-21 02:49:18

Sometimes you got to sacrifice something to make something else better. I say go for it.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-02-21 02:53:21

That would be awesome! big_smile

2019-02-21 02:54:12

Id' probably still play it, but I'm kind of over it right now, not like I'd never open it again, I'm just not playing it every day, or even once a week at this point. If you do, I would definitely appreciate Scramble being put out first before you do that, but that's just me XD

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-02-21 02:56:08

What Ironcross said, pretty much.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-02-21 03:07:57

I think it'd be a great idea! I don't know all the other modes that have been suggested, but the Runner game was pretty fun and I'd love to see more things like that! If you have to do a rewrite of the code to tidy things up and make cool stuff possible, I'd say go ahead!

I don't usually keep data between versions of Oh Shit anyways, so I wouldn't mind that much at all. xD

2019-02-21 03:43:59

I would love to see a rewrite! I still play it quite a bit.

2019-02-21 05:33:10

For those worried about Scramble, that is obviously my number 1 priority right now. If I rewrite before Scramble's release, and I release a rewritten version, it will not have a bunch of extra modes originally. No worries!

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2019-02-21 05:47:59

Hi Stevo,

I say do it man. I'd play it.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2019-02-21 07:21:43

Totally, go for it man! I still love this game, especially the Runner mode!

I would suggest, however, that at the very least a copy of the current (presumed to be final) version of the game as it stands now, using the current (soon to be old) codebase, be preserved somewhere, probably the Audiogames Archive, just so people could see where we came from, even years from now. Even better if we could have at least one version from the era where powerups could spawn randomly just like rocks. I didn't keep old versions around, and have no idea how many old versions of the game still exist anywhere, but it definitely needs to be preserved in its current state so we know where we came from.

2019-02-21 08:53:18

hi, if it's something you want to do, then do it. I'd also like to see more modes where I can spend a few minutes being frustrated that my latest score isn't reaching my local top 10 anymore because I've had too many good games.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2019-02-21 09:26:26

I don't assume you ever published the version you were demonstrating on that stream, where you'd implemented some cheat codes which were, well let's just say, not really advantageous to the player?

2019-02-21 09:27:05

Oh man that'd be fun to play.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2019-02-21 09:27:25

I say go for it!
I don't care much if I lose my save. Of course I'll have to unlock the runner again, but that's not a big deal.

2019-02-21 10:27:48

yeah you should release the cheats version. Lol as a memory of the old ver and final release.

-
"There is beauty in simplicity."

2019-02-21 10:28:01

I agree with the general sentiment here, and in terms of rewrites and just how much they can work things out, lookk at great toy robbery.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-02-21 13:44:46

yes please

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-02-21 13:48:07

Absolutely do this! I'd love an online mode where you either compete to see how long you can last against someone else, or a mode where one of the players acts as the controller and the other plays the game. The controller would have the ability to change the environment by spawning pits, rocks, cannons, bonus items, etc.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-02-21 13:58:34

as other said rewrite it again to make more enjoyable would be awesome
also if you don't mind please make this current version as a open source for anyone who interest so they can learn some thing from their

the bestest reward for people who are working so hard they should receive their experience of their own life.
everyone can collect in everyday.
:d

2019-02-21 14:09:33

Yes, I feel like scramble should almost be part of o shit haha, it's basically the same except 3d and a couple differences, but it'd probably be hard to do. I'd suggest getting a decent version of scramble out there, then taking a brake to rewrite O shit.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-02-21 15:02:34 (edited by Dakonna 2019-02-21 15:03:00)

How about an online mode in which you and a bunch of other players are dropped in a larger grid nicely apart from each other? It would function similarly to the current oh shit grid, just with slightly faster cannon and pit spawns. You would see who could last the longest, and pick up the most items at the end. Bonuses could also be fair game for whoever would stumble across them, and there would be some way to perhaps jump on other players to stun them for a short time or something, hopefully with safeguards to prevent abuse, and maybe even a way to try and push someone into a pit or under a rock.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2019-02-21 16:03:15

@20 Yeah, that was my plan.

2019-02-21 17:30:20

I say go for this, although I am also looking forward to Scramble so I think go with the plan of getting that out there, however long it takes, take your time, and I'll certainly buy it at release.

2019-02-21 18:43:03

i say do that scramble thing, then do the rewrite of the game. however i think you should release that cheats version as wel just so that we know what we have, then we can compare the diferences of the final version muahahah

2019-02-21 18:59:55

Why not, right? The extra modes will add more to do anyway, so even if interest will probably never reach quite the same level as before, your still going to get a serge of it for a while.
I would just say, don't burn your self out over online modes, if it becomes too much of a pain in the ass, just drop it. The extra offline modes and easier soundpacks alone would make it worth it IMO.
Maybe add dialogs every once in a while with an attention grabbing little sound when starting up or closing the program after certain playtime goals, similar to Aprone's menu items saying how much play you've gotten out of it and giving a set of donate and not now buttons, along with a consistent menu item for any time. That could help make the effort more worth it as well...