2019-02-18 01:22:46 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2019-02-19 01:07:05)

So has any one here ever heard, or heard of, or speak, any obscure languages? They have to be something most average people haven't heard of.

As for me, because I read about this kind of thing all the time, I've heard quite a few. I can pick out a language like quechua or xhosa if I look for the right sounds. The most obscure language I can think of is ainu. It's sad it may  soon be gone.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-02-18 01:57:16

Pigeon or creole languages are quite obscure.
But I could be wrong; some of them do not even have the status of a language.

2019-02-18 03:06:47

Something I actually didn’t realize is that Jamaican patois at least from what appears has not been legally recognized as an official language. On the other hand, Haitian Creole and a few others are  official languages of their countries.

As for their obscurity, some definitely are, but others like Jamaican patois are well known.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-02-18 04:09:12

Jamaican Patois isn't known by name though, only by sound mostly through reggae. If you said Jamaican Patois you would probably get a blank stare since most people don't even know what a patois is. lol
I speak Hokkien and Hakka, both relatively obscure dialects of Chinese. There are a fair number of speakers of both in the world, but neither is really famous outside of the communities it's used in.

Discord: clemchowder633

2019-02-18 09:52:40

Well, the difference between a pigeon and a creole language is that a pigeon does not have an official status, whereas a Creole does.

2019-02-18 22:20:10

Hmong is pretty obscure I believe.