2019-01-24 04:08:03

Hey guys,
So I'd like to learn BGT, but the manual that comes with the package is rather vague, explaining things in partial detail. I'm not sure if it's me acting like I need an explanan like I'm a toddler, or the manual itself, but it seems I'm not understanding its references.
Does anyone have any guides that they've created, or tips in general, to get me started?
Thanks!

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2019-01-24 05:08:18

Don't learn BGT,learn python python python!

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2019-01-24 08:29:08

Ok sir, where can i get the tutorial of python.
and also, how we can make games from python?

Thanks and regards.
Madhusudan
Visit my youtube channel to dive into accessible tech tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvVJNv … 9wXunGvl9A

2019-01-24 08:52:04

yeah learn python, but seriously, how can you accuse the manual of being vague? Like, that manual is a damn good manual... so, I'm confused. Like, it explains things in very fine detail.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-24 16:33:25

@ivan_soto
Do you think Python will be easier to learn then BGT? Or are you saying that as a suggestion?
@ironcross32
What I mean is, I feel like it expects you to know things in quick succession. The details are there, but not the full extent to them. I just feel like the manual starts throwing concepts out at you without laying a good base first before stacking things on top of it.

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2019-01-24 18:37:46

The bgt manual is one of the clearest programming introduction guides available. Keep using the code, modify the code, predict what it will do, then run it, compare results. Learning programming is not for everyone and laborious, but for me at least, there was a moment when suddenly things began to click and I understood why things were done the way they were. Also, regarding the choice of programming language, don't bother just yet. Just learn something, and if that's bgt, that's fine. Just know that in the long run you might want to switch to something like python or c# or javascript (electron) or something else completely, since those are also used by mainstream developers and hence have a much wider support comunity. If you need to ask a bgt question, you need to use this forum. If you have a python question, throw it in google and it'll have been asked a hundred times and have good answers.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-01-24 20:40:33

This kind of thing isn't cemented until you practice it. So, instead of reading the manual and saying you don't understand it, write the code out. Write it, do not copy and paste, because then you know it will work and have therefore, learned nothing in the process. You need to go through your trials and tribulations period like everyone else. Yes, it's frustrating in the extreme when nothing seems to work, that's programming. Beginners can't get code to run, professionals though, their code runs but there might be bugs buried way deep down they need to find and eliminate, so while in part it gets easier, it really doesn't. Programming is a very exact and exacting science.

The computer is dumb, it really can't make decisions, it does what you tell it, and only what you tell it, and sometimes the beginner programmer doesn't understand what they're telling the computer to do. An example is:

int bullets = 7;
if (reload_complete)
{
  bullets == 7;
}

OK, that's not real code or even good code, but it demonstrates a point. Look at the double equal sign, which means test equality of. What that meant to do was set bullets to 7. bullets == 7 is an expression that would evaluate to true or false.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-25 16:36:07

Hi,
@post 6: All right, I'll give it another go.
@post 7: Um, I don't copy and paste...

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2019-01-27 02:32:48

Hi Tunmi! As a beginer programmer I can relate to you perfectly. When I first started learning bgt, I was like, what? This is too hard! Then one day, on the day I started roryboxing in fact, the coding just clicked, bang, one day I couldn't do it, the next I was cruising along just fine. Dive right in mate, that's what really helps. Just see a bit of code, try to write some of your own, and see how it works. You'll get it all very soon, I know you will. just keep trying and you'll be rewarded.

2019-01-28 05:56:20

I can see what you mean, since that was the main problem I had when switching over. I loved the BGT docs and I wanted something that would explain it in very good detail. I finally downloaded think python and I used that one. As for which language is more easier? Well, I can say python is easier but you can't just go somewhere, download a python codebase, and press enter on my_game.py and expect everything to just click and load. You will have to learn how to collect packages for certain codebases, packages to do differnet things like accessible output2 for speech, soundlib for sounds, and pygame for keyboard handling.

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2019-02-13 16:18:43

what! python is used in game creation? fantastic! I have been learning python in school for almost a year but I didn't gather up the currage to ask my teachers whether python is used in games or not. I just kept guessing in my mind that it might have been used in the game creation but I was not sure at all. I should have asked my teachers but you know, how difficult it is for a teenager like me to gather the currage to ask anything

want peace to be there everywhere around the world also I want an immediate sollution to be given for this war so that the bloodshed could be ended. live peacefully, let others also live peacefully