2019-01-19 07:02:58

Hi all,

I'm having issues getting the NVDA Remote Server running on Debian 9. I followed the instructions, but I can't connect to it. Do I have to modify files in another location? I'm modifying the files in the directory I downloaded to my Home folder of my limited user account. I'm modifying NVDARemoteServer.conf file, but nothing works. Does the server store configuration data somewhere else?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-01-19 09:09:28 (edited by serrebi 2019-01-19 09:27:04)

Maybe your host doesn't let you run ports under that account? Some providers, such as seedbox providers, will limit the ports you can open, or worse if you're a namecheap shared hosting customer with SSH or any cpanel websight packages, don't let you open any ports unless you talk to the hosting provider. Assuming you are on a host that lets you run public ports and nothing's running on the port you chose, NVDA server should just run when you run the main file. I think I had to run it in screen to run it in the background. One other thing to check is the paths in your config file: Make sure the current user has proper permissions for whatever paths you used, if you edited those.

2019-01-19 10:50:09 (edited by Chris 2019-01-19 10:51:26)

I don't get this. I moved the NVDARemoteServer-master folder to /root/ and tried running it again. I've allowed port 6837 through the ufw firewall, but I still can't connect. When I type NVDARemoteServer status, I get the following. "NVDARemoteServer.service - NVDARemote relay server                           
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/NVDARemoteServer.service; disabled; vendo
    Active: inactive (dead)"

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to uncomment some of the lines in NVDARemoteServer.conf file? If so, which lines? I've removed the # from the port= line and the log= line. I've even tried running the NVDARemoteServer start command after creating a new screen instance. Am I doing something wrong or is it an issue with my firewall?

2019-01-19 11:09:26

Try doing the following
systemctl start NVDARemoteServer

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-01-22 05:23:06 (edited by Chris 2019-01-22 05:43:28)

The server works. However, I have to enter the IP address of my Linode. It doesn't worki f I use my domain name. How do i configure it to connect with my domain? Everything else I have hosted thus far works fine with it. The DNS settings point to the correct IP.

How do I make sure the SSL certificate is working properly? I ran the certificate script and followed all the instructions, but I want to make sure everything works as it should.

2019-01-22 16:06:51

How you have configured your DNS? Did you use the Linode Manager utility or you did it by hand using BIND?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-01-22 17:48:08

I used the Linode manager and set the DNS settings to theLinode DNS servers on Namecheap. It should work as everything else I've hosted connects if I type my domain.