2019-01-18 10:23:33 (edited by arnold18 2019-01-18 10:25:04)

Greetings all,

I'm looking for a commandline based linux distribution which has got orca or a similar screen reader, and people are using it and recommend it.
What do you think, which is easier?
Using a virtual machine or booting from a flash drive?
My problem with virtual machines is that they're sometimes stuttering and if i restart my virtual machine all things which i created/downloaded are lost, even programs which don't come with the iso or other file originaly.
That's an oversight on my part i believe because it should work normaly.
Any help would be appreciated in this regard too.
Thanks in advance.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2019-01-18 14:56:15

If you're inexperienced I'd go with a virtual machine. If you make an error in the linux install process, there's no harm done. However, if you boot linux on bear metal, and try to install it to a flashdrive, and you select the wrong drive, for instance, you've got a problem (unless you've got backups). It might also be possible to install linux to a flashdrive from a virtual machine, by connecting the flash drive to the vm, but then you would need to modify your bios or eufi settings.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-01-18 19:57:41

It depends on your processor and mainly on how much ram do you have. I have 8 gb and although I sometimes wish I had more, I can use my virtual machine quite nicely with it.
I don't know how you actually do it with virtual machine, so that every program you installed gets lost, but my wild guess is you booted from the iso image and forgot to install it on a virtual harddrive.
I'm using also command line in my virtual Linux machine, but instead of using speakup, the screen reader for command line, I actually ssh into it, so I can copy and paste stuff if necessary.

2019-01-18 22:01:34

I wouldn't recommend actually installing Linux to a flash drive, you'll burn it out. Using it as a bootable installation media, yes, installing the OS to it, no.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united