2019-01-16 00:08:03

Hi there,
So recently, with most game releases, I have seen a lot of things which tick me off, a lot!
I thought to myself, I wonder if they do it to annoy me, or if they merely don't know it is bad form?
So I wondered, would anyone like a how to guide on... Well, I guess you could call it development?
It wouldn't be a "how to build a program" or anything, but would cover:
How to write good readme files,
version numbers,
how to write attractive descriptions for your games,
best things to consider,
my thoughts on programming languages,
why copying is bad,
and anything else you suggested.

I just got so sick of things like:
Hi!
This is my new game, it's called Bob. If you want to know about Bob, read the readme!

Or this one:
Hi!
Here's Bobv3.0, I've only fixed a bug, but what the hell!

So, please, let me know if you'd like this, or if I'd just be wasting my time.
Thanks!

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-01-16 01:04:17

Except for opinions on programming languages, sure. I mention programming languages specifically because ultimately no one cares what you code in, as long as it works and is enjoyable. The language doesn't contribute to user experience. So don't waste your time on that.

2019-01-16 07:57:46

Hi,
Yes, agreed with Munawar. And yes, try making a guide on it.

Best regards
Pranam
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!

2019-01-16 08:57:15

Hi.
Sorry, but my vote is no. You might just waist your time on making such guide.
Why? I don't think people will learn to communicate better just by reading a guide on how to do so. If people really are having bad communication skills, then they will learn to communicate better later in life, or they will not be better at it, no matter what you do.
It's really a shame that many people are extremely good at developing, but lags when it comes to communication, meaning that other people don't realise the amazing job they have made.
The same goes for many developers on the app store, which is driving me crazy:
New update to an app.
Changelog:
Told the bugs to go away.
Or: Released an update which is ment to improve things. That's what an update is used for, right?
I have seen so many useless changelogs like this, where I wander why the heck I should care about updating the app at all.
Don't make me wrong. Feel free to work on such guide if you feel like doing it. But I don't think it'll make a huge change. But if it can change at leased something, then it would be amazing!

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-01-16 16:19:24 (edited by redfox 2019-01-16 16:20:12)

I think this is a good idea, especially for newer developers who need to learn these things.
@2, I tdon't think this is true, certain languages have limitations, like bgt for example, is kind of lacking in the sound department.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-01-18 14:51:38

I also think it's a good idea.