2019-01-15 23:53:23

My mom!
But she won't stop it!  We've all tried telling her to back off and go take a break, but she, actually, gets, offended!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-01-16 00:25:47

Exactly, and it sucks to watch them, it sucks to see them damaging themselves like that, we've done it to them collectively, and they don't even realize its being done. They're almost hypnotized to be blind to it, but you see it. My dad's wife, she'll die, she is literally going to drop dead one day, because she goes 110 miles an hour and won't stop. She has to be on blood pressure meds, but her bp is still high. She cooks these dinners, and she's like literally the best cook I know, but still, I'd rather her not cook the dinners if it means pushing her that much closer to a stroke or heart attack. I'm talking about the big ones for the holidays, she's OK with like making dinner for 3 or so people. My dad tries to help, but she won't let him, and then she gets frantic and starts saying why doesn't anyone help me, so he goes and helps. It's a repeated cycle and she doesn't even realize its happening. She has other issues, like her previous relationship was a bad one, but it happens to other women as well.

If your man don't wanna help you, like he just wanna sit on his ass and watch TV or sit there playing black ops 3 or some shit all damn day, then dump his ass. I don't know how to fix this. I have ideas that might work with some of our country's problems, but I don't know how to fix this one. I know how quick death can come. My buddy's dad died of a massive heart attack. He was just carrying something from the kitchen into the living room to put away in the china cabinet, and then down he goes. They tried to revive him, CPR all the way, despite the fact he had DNR paperwork all over the damn place, but no go. His heart was damaged from other things though, eh had diabetes, and 4 or 5 previous cardiovascular events. But she... my dad's wife, she's otherwise healthy, but she feels this need to be the superhero of the family and there's literally no need for that. It's an imbalance, not the way to deal with the situation. My mom and aunt, they can cook dinners and yeah maybe get stressed out or something but not really, not anywhere to the extent my dad's wife does.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-16 00:42:37

See? This is a legitimate issue, and while I'm not going to relate it to feminimm or perceived gender-based weakness or shortcoming or whatnot, you're damn right it's a problem. My mom does the same thing. Go go go, and she's fifty-eight. She's not getting any younger.
I think the only thing we can really do, if we have a person in our life who does this, is to do everything we possibly can to be responsible. Do the work that needs doing instead of waiting to be told to do it. Head the other person off from time to time and just freaking do things. Passivity is the enemy here.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-01-16 10:45:22

I'm reminded of Ernest Hemingway explaining his eventual suicide by saying that being alive without being able to enjoy it, not because of civilization, but because of biology, wasn't worth it. The old people I've known who did relax in their later years died slow, agonizing deaths. Those who didn't ... most are still alive, but those who aren't went pretty quickly and largely on their own terms. One grandmother specifically said she didn't want to go out like her mother did, saying that she'd lost her dignity. It's less that any of them have/had something to prove, so much as they wanted to live as long as it was a net positive experience. And for many people, that means being active.
I get that. I'd much rather be doing something than be made to sit in the corner because people are terrified of the blind person hurting themself. I don't see that changing, regardless of what health risks time adds.
When it turns into the person stressing themselves out, or if there are "straightforward" ways to mitigate the risk without significantly reducing activity, and said things are not being done, then, yeah, that's a problem that oughtn't to be ignored. Mostly, though, it reminds me of the nurse from that one episode of The Snorks, screaming at everyone with the plague to relax (including the doctor who could cure it if he could get back to work).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-01-16 11:01:16

Think I agree with Jade on this one for the most part, which is why I do most of the household chores.  That's not to say my wife doesn't help, but in a contest of strength versus inteligence, I'm strong, she's smart.  It only makes sense that I should do more of the physical stuff while she deals with the finances. :d
It's amazing how many guys will boast about having a hurculian build that'll rival everyone else at the gym but can't be bothered preparing a simple meal because ow!  That really is tiring, is it not?  Oooooo! Washing dishes?  What's that?  Hang it all; that water's seriously hot!  What kind of muscles am I using here, because this crap is something else!  Bathe the babies?  Nooooooo!  I have to bend!  I have to change diapers!  I have to hunt down their clothes!  Laundry?  Where'd all the socks go!  man this is hard!  Mop?  Sweep?  Vacuum?  Wash a toilet bowl 2 other children are using on a regular basis?
I'm here to tell you from first hand experience that if you really wana be tough you should spend time doing some of the crap women think and feel they have to do all the time.  Stop saying the kitchen's a chick thing and excusing it behind a wall of machismo.  By that same token, I also agree with ironcross in that if you're a little woman, you're a little woman; you need not try to make yourself out to be something you're not to impress people, and especially not men.  My mom is 4 foot 10, a saucy little thing that can put my dad in his place when she needs to, but I'd laugh at her as a police officer.  There are things she just, can't do and has never been able to do.  The same can be said of us all; logically, we just can't do everything, no matter how much we think we can do, and it's time we came down to earth and started accepting that.  I'm not against motivation; I'm against illogical mantras that make little boys and little girls believe things that realistically just, can't happen.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-01-16 17:04:22

@29 Being active isn't really the issue, that's fine, nothing wrong with that, and I agree with you that people who have worked all their lives just can't stop without suffering for it, usually leading to a rapid decline followed by death. But this is different, it's an unhealthy level of activity brought on by stress and a constant fear that you're not living up to society's expectations of you.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-01-16 23:18:34 (edited by defender 2019-01-17 01:33:28)

Ha, I see what you did their Nocternus, two (other) children.

Yeah completely agree about the need to be constantly providing independent of any personal considerations being an issue, but it doesn't help when many women are just totally unwilling to teach a man how to even do these things. Allot of young guys have to just learn it on their own when they move out, because it was never offered so they never asked, and even if they did they'd probably be shot down.
Men may have started this initially but women have seemingly become comfortable with their rolls for the most part, and are only just starting to take issue with it on a larger scale again. but now it's a problem for both genders to deal with and we need to cooperate if we want this to change because it requires showing both boys and girls how to respect each other. Women need to stop teaching their daughters this mindset too... But instead many young feminists would rather scream at the men to somehow fix everything, when, if they attempted it they'd be screamed at for trying to tell the women what to do.
It's going to take a few generations to really get this right because until then it's more of a do what I say not what I do, and their will probably be allot of pushback from the baby boomers and highly religious parents when this starts getting taught more in school... similar to evolution.
IMO the best thing we can do in our lifetimes is to try and teach young kids around us as best we can about respect for both genders. Easier with your own kids, but until you get told to fuck off it's probably worth trying with other people's kids as well if you get the chance, just for the small possibility that they may remember it later on regardless of what their parents say.

2019-01-17 05:12:03

Most feminists - the ones representative of the movement as a whole - will not scream at men about this issue. The closest they come is to say that it is just as much up to men to fix this as it is up to women. And I agree completely. We men should ask where help is needed, should make an effort to do some of this housework and whatnot so women aren't just stuck with it. Some women really do react badly to this, but the fair majority I've spoken to are actually supportive and don't mind helping a man pick up the slack (which is to say that yes, there's still a bit of a cultural divide on this issue, men are not often taught as thoroughly as women when they're young). For that matter, men should try and teach other men, and not just make it a women's issue. I do agree that it's not always ideal, the setup we see these days.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-01-17 20:48:36

A society is formed by everyone, so it takes everyone to resolve a societal problem.   A bit of a simple concept, but many seem to just ignore this idea.   

Such as the wage gap issue, especially with men and women.  Highlighting the issue of differing pay between men and women has slowly let the gap shrink through solutions that tackle aspects of the sex wage gap.   Whether that be women not pushing themselves to higher levels of education, the maternity leave problem (both on pay and the fact not attending work hampers chances at promotion), or the jobs that women tend to do are seen as less important (i.e: compare the pay of an editor to an automotive magazine to one for home improvements).  Also, there's that awkward situation where men within women dominated fields were being paid more than women (this one got turned around and was from an article a decade ago).  Obviously some of these factors had to be resolved by women, from teaching them to be more assertive with asking for pay raises, gaining an education in high paying fields, etc.  However, women cannot change more ingrained societal beliefs such as their work being seen as lesser to a man's, or the more cultural trends that persuaded women away from reaching higher education and to settle for said lesser jobs or housework.  That requires an effort by all parties to come to an agreement and to change the social perception of women and their work. 

Though, in more related terms to this topic, the title of this forum thread and the linked article are a bit weird.  I clicked on something that states "The End of Men' yet it lists the advancements that women have made when reading through the article.  Women improving probably reflects more the end of the old construct of woman then the end of men.  Thus, as a sister (or uh brother) topic to this one, can we discuss what exactly it is to be a man?   I guess I'll post?

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2019-01-17 22:14:47 (edited by defender 2019-01-17 22:35:43)

I'd also like to believe that most feminists are reasonable people,  but third wave (or what some are calling fourth wave) feminism is mainly online, so all those one sided posts where men get raked over the coals as a hole for everything with no real responsibility given to women, or winy complaints about near non issues like manspreading and perceived microaggressions getting tens of thousands of likes or retweats don't give me that much confidence about the current state of the movement.
It's always nice to know that more mature women will be their to shout them down, but it seems like their voices get carried away by the storm.
I'd hope their just letting out their frustrations and that they wouldn't act like that in real life? but that kind of mental poison isn't helping anyone and the more attention it gets, the more impressionable young women, and men too will be exposed to it and start thinking it's reasonable.
Same shit happens with the rabid anti SJW media.

I think it's more likely that a younger woman would appreciate the help around the house for sure, but I'm talking about people growing up with mother's in their 40s who don't want to teach them or at least never feel the need to prompt it, and I've seen that allot my self. Even so it's obviously not as bad as it would be another generation back from that...
It just shouldn't have to be the job of a guy's girlfriend/wife to teach him these things, even if their both open to it. It's a good thing that they are, but it would be even better if more people were raised that way before adulthood.
And this is just the highly developed world we're talking about too of course... Most parts of the world are still behind on this concept. Or more like they have specific, deeply ingrained rolls because their both working hard labor jobs and living off very little still, both having to pull their own weight in different ways. Which is the same reasoning behind how older generations act here of course...
It's easy to look back on previous generations with scorn for their (unenlightened ways) from a place of security... One which they fought for us to have. It's one of the most fucked up parts of society IMO.

2019-01-17 23:30:04

Re: being taught skills, I think that's just been slacking all around the board, and we've had people getting out of college with no idea how to take care of themselves or their belongings / home / etc. I almost feel like being blind is an advantage, when this problem affects the general culture, because we, at least, have training programs that cover those things for all ages. Rob the Random Millennial doesn't have a "stay here until you convince us you can effectively take care of yourself" program to ask the state to pay for.

Re: toxic fringes, Twitter is an abomination that feeds the worst impulses of human socialization. The extreme Social Justice fringe is quite small, and mostly limited to a few coastal colleges, communities, and journalism. Neo Nazis and the KKK are even fewer in number (the left can claim extremists in the several million range, whereas I'd be surprised if the worst of the right break a few hundred thousand). However, extremists tend to wield disproportionate influence, because of things like being louder, and being more willing to use extreme tactics that less extreme factions might not be prepared to resist. Add the accelerating hyperpartisanship turning these things into package deals[1], and you have people on both sides being less willing to denounce their extremists, because disagreeing with your own has become the same as agreeing with the worst examples of the other side, for some ungodly reason.
[1] This is stupid and destructive and needs to stop. I can criticize Richard Spencer without being an SJW, and I can criticize Antifa without being a Nazi. No person or ideology is without flaw. If you are marching into battle, and your neighbor's armor has an obvious weak spot, you are not betraying them to suggest they look into getting it fixed before it turns them into a casualty.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.