2019-01-08 12:55:54

@24: Thanks, I read the first line and thought it was gonna be a serious post. THen the next line had me laughing. Good job smile

@Simba: Ditto, but add Jehovah's Witnesses saying flat out they'll come into my house, without being invited, and tell me the Christian GOd's word to 'heal' me. I asked if their God could heal their intolerance. They left real fast when I started giving my own, creative, interpretations of scriptures.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2019-01-08 13:34:08

hi
can't agree more with dark on the lunatics part. smile
speaking of cultural differences, in my country most of the people pray god to cure me of my blindness and ask me to have faith in him at first sight. Some even stare at me in awe when they find out I've gone to school! My parents, I don't really know how they tolerate it, but they're asked about me at all time. Personally I wouldn't give a damn but when It comes to them, I wish I wasn't born; I don't think it was worth all that trouble. smile
believe it or not, A lot of people are living in this situation. Just wanted to point out a few things that not  everyone may encounter.
about media, well, where I live, there's no private or public broadcasting. TV and Radio are controlled by government. No netflix, no youtube, no cable TVs, nothing. That means people are being fed a lot of content created based on one mindset. Most of the characters with disabilities that I've seen on tv were either criminals whom there disability was a divine torment for their sins, or nothing but a tool for god's tests. I don't think this kind of society could have better ideas about blind people than it currently does. there is a bright side though,  most of the people whom i've been in contact with for more than a few weeks seemed to change their mind about me as a blind person just a little bit. At least they see who I am and accept me with all my flaws instead of accusing me of being  a sinner or thinking of me as someone who has a special connection to god. It feels like they've never seen a blind person in their life.
Anyway, this is an interesting topic. I wish some of you guys would say how people think about you. or things that you're asked when you talk to someone, do they even ask you things like "how long've you been blind?" or do they pray god to cure you?

:)

2019-01-08 14:18:37

@simba
Great post! I've had experiences like that as well. It seems that when people who are very committed to their faith approach you and want to bless you in some way, they seem to be doing it more to make themselves feel better than to actually help you. My reasoning being that if they were interested in actually helping you, then they would respect your wish to not get involved. They don't seem to be very interested in your side of the situation.
P.S. I wish we had more discussions like this on the forum.

Trying to free my mind before the end of the world.

2019-01-08 18:40:04

@26: thanks smile

The Jihova's Witnesses that show up hereabouts only ever acknowledged my blindness in asking if I had a means of reading the Watchtower magazines they give out. They also might have cited Genesis 1:27-28 as defining the Meaning of Life, but interpreted it to mean "make the Earth like Eden" rather than "world domination and maximize population". This seems like a stretch, given that those verses say "go forth and multiply, fill the Earth and subdue it", but why complain about a not-so-megalomaniacal interpretation of "fill the Earth and subdue it"? Who wouldn't want to convert the world into a lush, nudist Paradise with free fruit? Watch out four snakes, though. Those things are sneaky little devils.
Now trying to imagine an episode of Jonny Bravo in which he somehow winds up in Eden, and the snake occasionally pops up to make some unsubtle temptation for the lulz, then Lilith shows up and tries to use Jonny to make Adam jealous, only for Jonny to get dropped in the sea by angels, Lilith to get lured away by the snake, and the episode ends with Adam meeting Eve, and the snake slithering up to talk about fruit...
I feel like the tone of this post comes across more facetious than intended. sad I can ponder Jonny Bravo / Genesis crossovers without expressing opinions on either, right? hmm sad

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-01-08 18:59:16

...I want some of whatever you're consuming while posting, because that post made me laugh my ass off, especialy the Johnny Bravo part, CAE.

It may be a regional thing, or it depends how pushy certain Jehovah's Witnesses are, though my interpretation of that was....ahem....fornicate like rabbits and hoard all the good tasting stuf, and run around naked geting it on whenever you please while eating chocolate. They.....didn't like my interpretation much. I see nothing wrong with my version of a paradise. I mean, free food, getting it on, and hot naked people....what's not to like on my interpretation? Amusingly,  I'm still trying to work out how I ran into one a while ago in a store and somehow caused them to, in their own words, turn away from Jehovah and live a life of sinful lust and vice. Whoa. I didn't know I was that persuasive?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers