2018-11-29 22:05:51

hello everyone.
Mods, please feel free to move this topic accordingly. I wasn't sure whether or not to put it in general game discussion or off-topic room, as this is not audio game related.
I may be getting an x box for christmas, but I had a question. Do I need any special equipment to do OCR on the x box? I keep hearing something about a capture card. Is this for OCR? If so, how expensive are they? If I don't need one, how do I set up OCR on the x box? Is it just through narrator?

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2018-11-29 23:23:08

Hi bryant
Regarding your question.
You can stream the xbox through windows by using the xbox app on windows 10. IT's worth noting that you stream over wifi.
You can also use a capture card.
I'd recommend using a capture card tbh because streaming over wifi lags a bit.

2018-11-29 23:47:29

I wasn’t really planning on doing any streening, so do I still need a capture card just for OCR?

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2018-11-30 04:38:08 (edited by Chris 2018-11-30 06:46:31)

From what I can gather, a capture card allows you to capture video from the console and send it to your computer. It has nothing to do with OCR. For OCR, you would most likely have to send Xbox content from the console to your computer with the Windows 10 app and OCR your computer screen with NVDA or JAWS. If you're going to go through all that effort just to play a game that isn't 100% accessible I don't think it's worth it, but that's just me. I'd rather have a game I can play 100%, not 50% with workarounds like OCR! That's why I don't think an Xbox is worth the money. It's great that Microsoft provides Narrator, but what good is the console if two or three games are accessible?

We need to start building games with accessibility features from the ground up! I'm sick and tired of hearing the "it will take too much time and effort" excuse! These bigger companies have billions and billions of dollars! How hard is it to provide TTS (which Microsoft already offers via an API) and some new and enhanced sound cues? I thought Microsoft promoting accessible gaming would have more of an impact, but the only company I've heard of that's making big changes is EA.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-11-30 07:29:40

You have to remember that billions of dollars aren't disposable, and a developer still has to worry about investment vs return. This probably doesn't apply as much for tts, but I know for a full interface redesign it costs a lot up front and if they are going to throw in all this money and get a measly return value then what's the point? I hate to sound like that but it's true. Now for tts that is entirely a different story and is technically very easily implementable, however, outmoded publishers may not approve, and can come up with whatever bullshit excuse they want. When it comes to big game companies and their relationships with publishers, they'd rather keep them happy to keep funds growing. It's why, other than EA and NRS, you see more accessibility work being done from Indie developers. It also could simply be the engine they're using not allowing it. I unfortunately believe that is what happened to Way of the Passive Fist and why it can't get more accessibility features, because the engine won't allow it. Which sucks ass, but a developer is not going to practically rewrite the game in a different engine just to satisfy accessibility needs. I'm sorry, that's just not a realistic expectation. As for the engine limitations, I actually have seen that be an active concern for a developer (off topic from games) but I was talking with Goldwave on Twitter about how accessibility were to look on the up and coming Goldwave For mobile (ios and android.) To make a long story short, they basically said a lot of things which led to don't gets your hopes up too high for the initial release. Their cross-platform engine has absolutely no way to communicate with either text to speech api, and has no accessibility support implemented. The only thing close to that is that they just released an update allowing native controls, and I told Goldwave that as long as those native controls are properly labeled the thing should be accessible to a point.
So there you have it. Granted, there are some game developers who will be purposefully ignorant and choose not to make accessibility a priority. But I will say those voices are gradually holding less weight and more developers are at least considering accessibility.

2018-11-30 08:59:23

Hi.
For OCR only, I can confirm that you only need the XBox app in Windows 10.
I have the best experience by doing the following:
1. Open the app.
2. Choose the connection tab and connect to your XBox.
3. Launch the game you wanna play by using the XBox.
4. Try to do OCR. If it doesn't work, then do the following:
5. Tab to the quality button, press space, use the arrow keys to select the quality, low quality works great on my system, and then press enter.
Do not press any keys afterwards, since that might move the focus so the OCR doesn't work.
I hope you get an XBox.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-11-30 10:17:56

Thank you all for the answer. So I don’t need a capture card unless I  am planning to sTream to YouTube and stuff like that?

2018-12-02 11:50:10

This is interesting. I didn't know that you can't use OCR with a capture card. Oh well, that makes me sad.