2018-06-27 20:45:37

Hi all,
I have a friend not on this forum who I'm trying to help get beatstar. I have a mac but used to have windows, and he now has windows. I walked him through unzipping and starting the portable version of beatstar, but everything that could go wrong did. First the system voice wouldn't speak, making it nearly impossible to select a language. Then, we finally got into the main menu by much guess work, and got the screen reader to speak instead, then we had this very strange long message that kept popping up about not having the latest version that he couldn't exit out of with nvda, he had to alt+f4 out of beatstar and go back in and hope he didn't get stuck in the version message again, but this is the version that is currently on the website which we downloaded. Then, when he tried to learn game sounds they wouldn't play, and when he tried to start game it wouldn't run the game at all. We were wondering if: A. we could find some kind of documentation to see what we did wrong, or B. We could find a nice self-installing .exe file that would put everything in the right places. I know windows well but I could only help so much when the program whacked out on us.
Any advice is warmly appreciated,
Blake.

2018-06-28 11:36:38

hi
that is really strange problems you're having, the latest version announcement is a main menu option.

on windows, beatstar should be run with a screen reader as it is the default behaviour.
You  need to press NVDA space or turn off forms mode in jaws for it to work.

hth

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2018-06-28 12:48:35

That's odd as it worked when I did it, technology sucks.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-28 13:22:08

I  can't resist posting this... enabling sleep mode will work even better. you don't have to enable forms mode, and you will still have speech. although some may not like the extra chatter, but then, that's the whole reason for me using it so. what happens if you use the regular, not the portable version?

2018-06-28 21:05:19

That is what was asking about. I can't find a regular version on his new website. The website on here is a 404 but oriel gomez has a new site with "the new beatstar" and the mac version is awesome, but either the windows portable, which is the only thing there for windows that we could find, is broken, or we've done something horribly wrong with the files, something that causes all these problems.

2018-07-16 00:09:35 (edited by flackers 2018-07-16 00:10:27)

I didn't want to start a thread just to ask this question so I'll ask here. I'd like to use the  grave accent (grov) key above tab instead of the spacebar. Could I change it? I'd rather use my first and second fingers on my left hand rather than my pinky and thumb as I have to do wihth tab and space.