2018-01-31 21:53:18 (edited by cw 2018-01-31 22:48:04)

I am thinking about playing AHC on the mac, so, I looked up on how to install wine. I am wondering if these directions are correct and how they may be different per game as it were. Is there any thing else I need to know about too? I might even want to do swamp or shades of doom too.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2018-02-01 10:38:18

Mmm, if you have bigger SSD, I think you could set up a VM for it. It's much better than Wine, though.

2018-02-01 12:26:41

Thought about that and I just do not have the money to spair, at this time, to buy a copy of windows and the VM software to run it on the mac. As a side note, I do not mind messing around with the command line. I have a 500 gig SSD.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2018-02-02 00:25:13

I just bought AHC so I'll be taking this road myself soon. We'll see how it goes, but I intend to use WineSkin rather than trying to use the XQuartz-based solution. WineSkin has a native Mac driver and, more importantly, the generated wrappers are standalone prefixes which generally gives you better reliability and much easier portability.

If you want to go the official unofficial road, the instructions are here. It's not so difficult, if you only want to play the one game.

Just myself, as usual.

2018-02-03 03:19:24

I would not get a virtual machine. You'd be better off putting aside some space on your hard drive to run bootcamp if you have a few games you're wanting to play. I ran a VM for a while and to be frank it was a load of crap. It's fairly easy to switch back and forth between the two partitions and the Windows 10 installation even speaks to you now.

Some folks might ask why running a VM was "a load of crap." Simply this, it seemed to take the Vm quite a while to boot up, and then once it was booted up at least on my Mac it ran very slowly. There was a couple of seconds delay between the key presses and it just didn't seem to work very well at all.

2018-02-03 08:46:52

@Sebbi, are those instructions just for AHC? Or also other games as well? The guide on applevis says you need those mono and gecho installers, but is this guide you posted the link to an updated guide? Would it be possible to run swamp using these steps? Or do I still need to follow the steps in the guide posted on applevis for swamp and other games?

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2018-02-03 10:23:45

Thing is, I've tried that instructions, but after that, I downloaded Brain Station and give it a go, though I believe Brain Station uses Sapi too, isn't it? But I heard nothing. Accept menu's sounds. I'm not sure what to do next.

2018-02-03 12:30:20

sebbie, can you please help me installing windows 10? when i tried to install it with headphones in on my macbook air 2013 it wouldn't talk. what can i do to install it on own?

2018-02-03 14:35:17

Use a usb soundcard

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-02-03 14:39:56

i don't have one, i thought it was meant to work with headphones

2018-02-03 14:44:58

good, maybe you can try return of the king

2018-02-03 14:54:36

After SpeechSDK installed, what do I need to do next?

2018-02-17 04:21:29

No clues? Trying to install wine again, and if something doesn't work right, I will remove this thing off of my hard drive.