2018-01-27 22:41:26

Hey guys! so, can you recommend to me an interpritter for .gblorb files?

2018-01-27 23:02:50

I like Winglulx myself (check the db for  it even has a Nvda addon to read incoming text, it works great with kerkerkruip and Flexible survival, though occasionally in fs incoming text reading can go a bit  wonky and you need to do it manually, still since this also happens with  the online version it's related to the game and not the addon specifically.
I used to use Winglulx with Supernova too, though there I had to do far more manual reading of text (not that I ever found that a problem personally).

Windows Git is pretty much the same as Winglulx access wise, but without the appropriate addon, meaning you must  more reading by hand.

Both have a Sapi output mode, but both have the same problem with Sapi, namely that there is no programmed speech interupt, which is a major handicap.

I think Filfre will read Blorb files too, but I'm less sure about that one., I do remember with Supernova finding filfre's interface more cluttered, and I don't know how it plays with Nvda, though I've heard it's good for Jaws users, so you can pick your poison.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-28 04:22:32

There actually is an NVDA addon that works with a number of if interpreters, including frotz, Glulxe, etc. Windows Git is supported.

https://***/Add-Ons

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2018-01-28 06:37:27

Well Stewie, it seems the link for Jeff's addons page is http://www.***/index.php?page=NVDA since I got a 403 error when I  the above link.

Then again the If addon is cool and at least from  preliminary try out seems a little more efficient than Oriol's Winglulx one. I'm tempted to try it out on Wumpus 2000 or treasures of a slaver's kingdom.
Well

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-28 10:44:24

Hello.

I would like to correct the information that there is no way to interrupt SAPI speech in Windows Glulxe and Windows Git.
This is not true.

Below is the relevant text copied from the Help file in Windows Glulxe.
Ctrl+Pause
Halts any speech currently being spoken.

2018-01-28 11:00:31

wow luel, I have been using Winglulx for years now and never realized that.
While I think I prefer Nvda (for a start I have a better voice), that's really good to know.

Is it the same in Winfrotz?

2018-01-28 11:50:22 (edited by Luel 2018-01-28 11:55:02)

I used SAPI speech until the add-on for NVDA has been released.
I prefer NVDA too.

SAPI voice can be changed in the interpreter's options.

As for Windows Frotz, the shortkey works, but it is not mentioned in the Help file.
I checked this before posting.

2018-01-28 14:51:59

I use Filfre with Jaws. It's really easy to use with the jaws Cursor and not at all cluttered.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2018-01-28 14:52:25

I have seen the options for changing sapi voice and speech rate in all the interpreters mentioned, but I didn't know there was a shortcut to stop sapi speech.

I do recall emailing David Kinda, one of the chief developers of both Winfrtoz and Winglulx back in I believe 2010 or so about having Sapi interupt added to both interpreters, he said he'd look into it but never got back to me.

i don't know if the shortcut was added as a response to my email, but it is nice it's there, I spent a long time manually reading the screen with the Dolphin cursor in Supernova. While I didn't mind doing this and got used to it, it still  is more convenient to have automatic speaking of incoming text if possible.