2018-01-21 23:09:49

Hi all,
Does anyone have, or know where I can obtain an Aardwolf soundpack for Vipmud?
Thanks so much.
Nightshade

2018-01-22 00:45:30

A soundpack for Vipmud would be cool, though I've sadly not heard of one.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-22 02:31:56

If exist it does not, make it I shall!

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-01-22 04:13:03

If make it you would, pleased I would be big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-22 17:24:41

I'm getting seriously serious about this.  It'll take awhile because I'm gonna need to create one of each type of char, unless someone has more experience/trigger lines in mind for useful and common skills and spells.  If you're interested in working with us on this and have a few aardwolf  chars and a fair amount of experience let us know.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-01-22 18:37:38

I only have the one aardwolf cha, but looking at the spells and abilities list it's remarkable how much  cross pollination there is between different classes and abilities, so the more you get done the more will be done in the future.

What I'd really like for Aardwolf are some  attack sounds, since right now to trim the combat display to something readable you have to take out all of the prettiness, as combat in Aardwolf is pretty quick.
it'd also be nice to have a few useful pings for things like damage over time areas, quest mob slayage etc.

i admit I sort of trailled off with  game given that it pretty much devolved into grindy combat or autoquests, or banging my head against a wall with  area goals.

it also seemed aardwolf's community was a bit hit and miss, ie, if you asked for help sometimes you'd get it, sometimes not, sometimes you'd be told "well it's not necessary to complete all the goals" etc.

2018-01-22 18:53:06

Dark, I suggest hitting up a guy named Pwar if you're interested in rejoining/getting back on the bandwagon with us; tell him Nocturnus and Meridian sent you.  We're going to closely work with him on a Mush soundpack similar to that of AA, but will, on the side, be working on one for VIP.  I'm not sure how long ago it's been since you've played, but just in  the past hour or so that I've had to mess around out here I've received a lot of positive reception from the newbie channel/overall community.  I told them I was Nocturnus of ag net, explained our situation and was told by several, sighted and nonsighted alike that if there was anything they could do for us they would be more than happy to help.  The overall vibe I'm getting is a good one, something I haven't seen recently on many online multiplayer games.

2018-01-22 22:05:24

hello.

@Nocturnus sometimes known as Nocturuns.

I'm probably going to regret asking this, as I tend to get into muds then get bored of them but why not?

It would be cool if we can test the soundpack.

if it's going to be like a a or similar to it; it should be fun.

Do you know of a rough time when we might be able to start testing it?

Also what sets ardwolf apart from the usual hack and slash muds out there?

I'm gone for real :)

2018-01-22 23:15:45

At present, there are a few things:
1.  Aardwolf has been up since 1996 and has a larger community than most, known as the number one mud on top mud sites with a sprawling community of people.  You can usually expect as few as a hundred, as many as 853.  I'd wager that most of the community is friendly based on what I've seen thus far, but that's just a guess on my part given I haven't met all of its users either.
2.  From the beginning there is a ton of help, ranging from the introductory accademy with all of its extensive lessons, to the many well documented help files concerning just about anything you could possibly want to know about anything.  If this is not enough, the site has a wiki, an official facebook page, official facebook group, VI information available on the main website, information on areas and getting around the game, and a score of pages ready for you to peruse at a moment's notice run both by admins and helpful players ranging from getting started to getting super serious.
3.  There is a ton of equipment ranging from very modest pieces to legendary ones you can probably still make better owing to the crafter subclass, which brings me to,
4.  Subclassing.  There are main classes, mage, warrior, ranger, etc etc, and under every single one of these is a subclass, which allows you to focus on the kind of mage, warrior or ranger you would actually like to be.  As a mage, you can choose to be exceptionally elemental in nature, a master of sorcery, or someone who believes more in enchanting things.  If you choose Psionicist you might choose to be necromantic or hypnotic in nature.  As a warrior you might choose to have a more militarily based fighting style and thus pick soldier, which allows you to work well with other soldiers in groups and armies, or perhaps you favor a more chaotic, barbarian path in which rage and out of control berzerking is your way to winning.  Currently there are 7classes with 3 subclasses under each.
5.  If this is not enough customization, there are also 19 races, each with different perks and faults.
6.  Scripting is allowed and even encouraged, provided you're not botting.  Aliases, triggers and command stacking for the sake of making the game playable is one thing; botting is a whole different can of worms and requires exceptional amount of thinking and talent and is never, ever accidental.
7.  Campagnes, quests, global quests, trivia, lottery, lasertag!  Tons of events and many different ways to gain gold and XP!
8.  Marriage is convenient, giving you access to your own spouse channel, sharing equipment, giving permission to one another's corpses, living together in dwellings, the ability to teleport to one another at any desirable time, and the ability to see when your spouse is on or offline/when they log on and off.
9.  You can view the game's forum as a webpage in your browser if you would rather do it that way instead of viewing it in your mud client.
10.  Playability and replayability: because you can remorp (start over with a second class,) and reach as high as level 200, there is virtually no end to the amount of things you can accomplish.  Once you familiarize yourself very well with the game you can even begin building areas of your own, but exceptional familiarity is a requirement, as you need to show that you truly understand the leveling process, goals, equipment needs and other important issues.  Regardless, the world of Andolor is an immense one with tons of areas to explore, so many that there is, in fact, a page full of speedwalks available to those who are curious about how to get from point A to point B.
there's much more I haven't covered here, but these are 10 reasons why you should, at least try it.

2018-01-22 23:27:10

I've gotten to tier 1 (as opposed to tier 0) using a venomist on Aardwolf. What I can tell you is that it can be very, very fast, but it's also really draconian when it comes to a few things.
1. Quest gear. You're sort of expected to quest religiously, and that gets super dull after awhile. I hadn't done it, and while I did manage, I was pretty weak compared to most, so I found myself slumming a lot (fighting below my level).
2. Area goals. There is an infuriating amount of "guess the syntax" sometimes, and that's just not fun. I don't mind puzzles. I do mind knowing exactly what I have to do and not knowing the command to do it. Even with that said, I did something like 70 or 71 goals, I think, before I dropped Aardwolf, possibly forever.

If you like hack and slash, Aard's great. You will never, ever want for areas to run around in. There's also some really neat class stuff.
If you like a tight fantasy theme, go elsewhere. There's modern, sci-fi, high fantasy and a whole mishmash of stuff. Most of it's not proprietary, but I think they had/have an Oz area which people use for levelling, as well as many others which wouldn't be in theme with fantasy. They used to have a Star Trek: The Next Generation area, and they still have a couple of modern carnivals and stuff. If these things don't bug you, and if you don't mind either skipping or wrestling with weird syntax for area goals, you might have fun on Aardwolf. Generally the community is friendly.

Oh. Oh oh. One other thing. If you die, you drop a corpse. So if you die in an area you know you can't fight in because you got lost and jumped by something mean, you'll have to ask for a corpse retrieval. I have never, ever approved of this mechanic, particularly when you leave your gear behind. Some of that gear might be one-of-a-kind, and it's going to be even harder to get back to it when you're naked and have nothing left on you after death. I think virtually any MUD that does this is making life unnecessarily hard for players.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2018-01-23 00:51:04

how do you get into this MUD. It seems very overwhelming. I tried it very briefly and it was huge, no clue what to do etc. It's like oversaturation and I've been playing MUDs since like I don't know 2013 or so, probably seen around 50. Also, how do you deal with the prompt spam, I hate prompts, they're good for sighted users but I can't be doing that 220h 300m 500mv thing, it just doesn't work for me, I generally don't play MUDs that do that, unless you can turn the info off, which I don't know if you can on there.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-23 00:57:27

type bprompt and prompt to turn off prompts. Also go through the academy, it helps a ton. Read help VI in the game it also helps. Talk to Pwar for help on getting the mush soundpack. Start with the academy and that'll lead to other things.

2018-01-23 01:04:01

@Jayde,
Not to discount your discomforts, but this is one reason why clans, marriage and helpers/higher level players are around.  Corpse retrieval is a thing and can even be asked for on the newbie channel and is not frownd upon.  While I don't like the idea of grinding/camping/slumming/take your pick of terms... it really does suck, there's also a reason you don't wana go into high level areas if dying is a thing to you and bothers you a ton because of the overall consequence.  I think there is more ways to avoid the consequence than there is reasons to deal with it though.  for instance, even if you are fighting something too big for you there is running away or recalling, which on Aardwolf, may lose you a bit of experience, but not as much as if you die.  I think this is becoming standard on games in general though I admit I could be wrong; I was just playing AHC and felt like you have to get mega massive before you can go and actually do something, which requires a lot of grinding in the sewer system, and that game is only a single player, offline example of what I mean when it comes to fantasy RPG stuff.  As you yourself pointed out in another topic, AA is kind of the same matter; you're stuck in Archais for like, ever and ever before you can go somewhere else and, should you attempt it, you're probably dead.

2018-01-23 02:28:34

Well Aardwolf is just intimidatingly huge though

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-23 06:02:55

Actually Aardwolf is okay to get into provided you take advantage of some of the resources available.

if you go to The aardwolf db page found here you will find several links to handy resources.
#These include an item finder which will tell you where to find more powerful gear.
Finding gear in the game is on the one hand very easy, since there is a command to see if you have the best gear for your level (not counting quest gear). On the other hand it's very hard since your not necessarily told where! something is.
This is where the item finder comes in.

The second handy resource is the map archive where you can essentially get text directions to find rooms, this is useful for looking for quest targets and the  since some of the areas are very large and while exploring is fun, often the rooms have similar names, or obscure custom exits.

Aardwolf has both good and bad.
On the one hand it's great for quick hacknslash, easy and fast combat and for examining a lot of diverse  areas from the silly to the serious. The mix of areas can be somewhat jarring as Jayde said,  exploring tends to be fun in the majority of cases.

On the other hand, the areas can often require annoying steps to get around, with rooms with similar names or short descriptions, hidden and obscure exits and the like, indeed this brings me on to the next problem with aardwolf, that of obscurity and help.

The area goals can be very very annoying  in terms of guess the syntax or knowing specific optins to progress, and unfortunately getting help on them can  somewhat hit and miss, indeed sometimes I've been told "that goal isn't for you" or "your not supposed to do all the area goals"

Items are another area where Aardwolf is a little odd, since on the one hand the autoquests are nice and easy to omplete (especially if you like seeing different areas), on the other hand, the amount of balancing and when you need to buy which quest items, and when you need to trade which quest items can be somewhat frustrating, actually that is one aspect where the game is very grindy, since to get optimum good out of your quest points you basically have to carry on doing autoquests and mmmm, not use any quest points until you remort, which is a bit nuts.

Now of course not doing the area goals would be an option, accept that then suddenly you'll find yourself tasked with tracking down a campaign mob who is behind a door you can't open or through an area that takes your hp away unless you have specific resistances, or around an annoying maze.
Actually, one of the main issues with Aardwolf is there seemed to be absolutely no middle ground, either it's a very easy hack n slash, run in, rapidly slay away, run out, or it's a super hard guess the verb or manage resistances game with no in between.

it is indeed very grindy, however as I said, quick hacknslash and progression does tend to aleviate this at lower levels, especially as you tend to see a lot of diverse areas and get to explore.

My character is a centaur ranger of about level 114 or so, but I got sick of going on to bash out a quest or campaign, then finding an exit I couldn't get through for some completely obscure reason, asking about it on the newbie channel and being told "well campaigns are hard!"

I will note however that if people want to see a game similar to Aardwolf which is less overwhelming in it's size, with less automatic combat, more consistent fantasy areas, far slower progression, more logical missions similar to Alteraeons, more mid level random rewards  and quest gear that is far more fun to get, check out Erion. Indeed my one problem with Erion is that progression is so slow!
A shame you couldn't combine the two really, though I enjoyed both for their good points.

2018-01-23 07:11:49

I agree with Dark about Erion.  The thing that put me off from that is the small player base.  I managed to win so many of the global hunts just because I was the only player actually competing, there was no challenge. 
It was fun though, they have a lot of little hourly events and stuff.  Word scrambles and the like.
I don't have a lot of experience with MUD's, I basically have only played AA, this might be going a bit off topic, but what put me off the most about Erion was that I never felt obliged to do any quests.  In AA when you are going through the first few areas of the game you have a series of quests, one leading into the next and you feel obliged to complete them.  I am only on level 20-something now and I can't even say if if it is possible to skip those quests just because I have done all of them.
With Erion I stumbled into places at times that seemed like it should be part of a quest, I run into a room with some king or whatever, or I find the ring of power and there is just nothing to interact with, there is nothing that triggers indications of quests.  When I stumble into areas like that in AA I can at least identify that this should be part of a quest later on, assuming no one talks to you.  But usually they do, you can always find the NPC that gives you the quest for the area.
With Erion I just got sick of the quests being too grindy.  I started Artwolf, but I got the impression like it is going to be a lot like Erion where exploration is not very story driven, but more about just killing things because you were told to.
It would be great to play a mud where the world is a bit more fleshed out like AA's.  If Artwolf has a decent amount of varied quests and interactable NPC's I will give it a try.

2018-01-23 08:02:22

I really wish Erion had more missions and totally agree with yoy, you can find a topic I posted on the Erion board about this.
Aardwolf is probably not your game for quests, the autoquests in the game are much like Erion's but far more grindy and harder to get any practical good out of, while as I said the area goals  bloody difficult in their obscurity.

If you want a mud for questing there are better alternatives out there. Frandom, flexible survival, classic six dragons (which has a small player base though very nice quests), cyber assault, though I found that one less to my taste, four dimentions ()though in that one quests are tough), I've also heard good things about materiamagica, coffee mud, lensmoor and three kingdoms though I've yet to try those extensively.

2018-01-23 10:22:06

Hello.

Having read the posts on this thread, this mud doesn't sound like my kind of thing.

I really don't think muds are for me anymore.

I'm gone for real :)

2018-01-23 11:25:28

rofl Muds were never for me; AA was pretty cool back in 2011, which as I understand it was shortly after the mush-z soundpack was released.  I tried Miriani once again, because it had an extensive soundpack for VIP I was able to get my hands on.  Prometheus was funf or awhile as well, but the fact remains that scrolling text and having to read through chunks of it with a synthesized voice has hardly ever been my idea of enjoyable, probably because on top of having to read it, you have to learn how to read it quickly and understand things at a rate that is, at times, just a bit too overwhelming for my taste and does not allow me to relax/get into the game and its mechanics or even its world.  Sound is simple; you can make sounds as short and descriptive as you need to, which is why soundpacks are so desirable to me.  While it might not make a huge difference in the case of Aardwolf, I figure if I can tackle such a huge, poppular mud with a soundpack for VIP, then I can do pretty much any mud and will gladly do so for anyone else who's interested.

2018-01-23 15:49:49

Doesn't sound like its for me to be honest. I prefer levelless and classless. I like crafting and stuff, good combat, crafting, immersive world lore, good RP, that's what I like.

I really like ones like CLOK and Lament because they're learn as you do type systems. That suits me because its how things work in the real world. Geas has this cool twist on it though, it works the same way, but there's... hmm, I can't remember what they call it anymore, but there are two levels for each skill, the theoretical, and the practical, those are my terms because I can't remember the correct ones. Basically the practical one is how well you can actually do the thing, and the theoretical is how knowledgeable you are on the subject. What this means is that you can use study books to help you learn skills or languages, but until you put that knowledge into practice, you won't be able to do the thing well at all. It also means that if you don't use the skill, you'll start to lose points. I think you lose practical first then theoretical if it passes a threshold, but its been so long since I've been on Geas I can't remember if its that or the other way around. The good news for players is that a little practice will get you back up to where you were without too much headache. I'd use the analogy of a pianist who was ill or something so couldn't play for a few months. After that, he finds he knows the chord progressions and stuff like that in his head, but he can't hammer them out. That being said, in a few hours of practice, he should begin to feel better about it.

My problem with Geas is that they do a lot of player run stuff, which I love, but the higher level people just don't come around that much so when you need them, its like, well, wait a few days or a week and maybe if you're lucky enough to be on at the same time as they are...

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-23 16:41:17

I do not like RP. I sort of used to but not really at all. I'm not a great writer, and it kind of requires that for good RP. I like the mechanics and number crunching type of game.

2018-01-23 17:42:41

Neither am I.  while I can write on the subjects I'm educated in and study regularly and do well with research papers, esays and the like, writing stories has never been my forte by a longshot.

2018-01-23 17:50:15

Well my thoughts on rp are in the rp topic, but muds wise I still love the exploration and questing.
I can happily explore in hacknslash provided the areas are well written enough, or in space activities, and I enjoy crafting so long as it's not too grindy. What tends to put me off muds are guess the syntax puzzles or being stuck in my exploration due to something very obscure, which  my problem with a lot of Aardwolf, and also four dimentions.
Lament to an extent was the same being as finding the syntax to do things, or finding recipes of how to make things was rather difficult, though it is entirely possible I need to play a bit more of the game.

This however makes me wonder about trying lensmoor since that has both autoquests, exploring and! lots of crafting and a detailed skills system.

2018-01-23 18:59:22

A mud that flies completely under the radar here is End of Time.  I tried that a while ago despite folks saying that it is not screen reader friendly.
I found that fact to not be true.  I got tired of it very quickly because I tried it just after trying AA, Artwold nd Erion in the same month, so learning another mud was not an attractive prospect.  What I can say though is that the few quests I did were quite cool.  The game also has a very detailed character creation system with a lot of races and stuff.  It required a bit more player input when it came to descriptions and stuff than I would have liked, but overall I think it is a game folks around here should give a chance.

I do intend on going back to that once I have a bit more time on my hands.

2018-01-24 07:30:48

@Tensoon, Perhaps you should post a topic in new releases detailing some salient points about end of time, including accessibility matters as well as good points about the mud.

i'll admit it's not one I've tried either.