2017-12-29 06:35:11

Hi,

I know nothing about this thing, but I'm thinking about getting one because I know they have games on them.
Now, again, I don't know exactly which games those are, but I've seen some talk on the boards on this site, that had some pretty cool games.
Can someone tell everything they know about this device? Especially if you have one? Also, can someone send me the correct link to the correct one I want? I've seen like four maybe five on amazon.
Any help would be appreciated guys.
Thanks!

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2017-12-29 06:51:23

Hi.

Basically the amazon echo is a voice activated assistant, there are several models, the echo, echo dot, and echo show and I'm not %100 sure of the difference, I got the echo dot myself because my brother bought me one in christmas of 16. I initially had problems with it but have set it up now and am having fun with it as you may gather.
It does various things from streaming amazon music and audible audiobooks (the music is pretty cruddy imho but your milage might be different), to making notes and review lists, alarm, reminders, looking up things on wikipedia,and buying things from amazon.
it also contains what are called skills, these are short, free aps developed for the system (well most are free though a few have payments based on an account system).

Because  you control it mostly with your voice it's very accessible (you do need to set some things online but that should be okay), which means it's good for audiogames, and while a lot of games for it are fairly short affairs, there are some that aren't, plus since it's voice recognition is pretty good and it can understand a lot, the amount you can do with your voice is nice, eg, trivia games are rather more fun when you can speak to the thing.

An ever growing list of games with short mini reviews by yours truly can be found here

Hth.
I'm still learning about the thing myself, but feel free to ask further questions if needed.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-29 14:12:06

There five models of the Echo, they are:

Echo: The Echo is a cylinder about eight inches tall and three inches wide. It has built in microphones and speakers so it doesn't need to be plugged into anything other than power to work.

Show: The Show is an Echo, see above, with the addition of an LCD screen which allows it to show you video from surveillance cameras or when ordering from Amazon, a picture of what you are ordering, or youtube videos.

Watch: The Watch is an Echo, see above, with the addition of the Show's, see above,  LCD screen, plus a video camera.

Dot: The Dot is an Echo, see above, without the built in speaker so you have to hook it up to your own sound system to hear its output.

Tap: I believe the Tap is a Dot but unlike all the Echo models above, it doesn't continuously listen for its wake word, instead it has a listen button that you have to press before you talk to it.

Which one you get depends on your wants and needs. Since I had no home stereo system to hook up a Dot to, I chose to get the Echo. I'm also glad I got the first generation model. While the first generation Echo is of metal construction with an easy to clean skin, the second generation models are of plastic construction and I'll just bet that fabric skin they have isn't so easy to keep clean.

2017-12-29 17:52:43

Hi Orko.

The echo dot does  have it's own speaker, or at least mine does, albeit it's not a brilliant speaker. It's certainly not bad, better I'd say than the default speaker on an Iphone but not up to  a decent set.

It does have a line in so theoretically you could connect it  to stereo speakers or headphones if you wished and  they're commonly used with bluetooth speakers,  as I've not been impressed with the music options and I'm not really into streaming music anyway I won't be looking into this myself, since for gaming the default speaker is fine.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-29 18:41:21

the one I have is I think hard plastic but the sound on it is pretty darn good.  and it's just a standard echo thing.  not the show, dot, or  that other one. and the base speaker is pretty clear and resonant.

2017-12-29 19:24:51

Interesting, I always thought the whole idea behind the Dot was to make a lower cost Echo by elimination the speaker and amplifier and rely on users hooking it up to an existing sound system.

Even so, I'm glad I got the Echo as I have no complaints about the sound quality I get from its built in speaker. I doubt I'd be so satisfied with the Dot's speaker since I do stream music from a local radio station through it. The station plays nothing but classical music and is far enough away that streaming it is the only way to get a listenable signal.

2017-12-29 20:16:25

@bookrage, maybe i'm just a bit more picky with speakers and sound quality, since while I'm not as much an audio nut as some people, I  definitely have my preferences.

@Orko I'm not sure on the dot thing, but it definitely does have a built in speaker, albeit one that is probably not going to win any awards, or at least not with me.

2017-12-29 20:30:10

maybe, if you're saying the dot is slightly better than an Iphone, the basic echo has far better sound than that, in fact it's sound is almost as good as the speakers I used surround sound on my PC. for the model I use, though I'll say the Codename Signus sound quality isn't great through it though that might have some more to do with the program and that it is a port.

2017-12-29 21:32:33

I would agree, the sound quality of some skills leaves a lot to be desired. At eight by three inches, the Echo definitely has room enough for some reasonably decent speakers. However my audio needs aren't as stringent as those of a voice actor and singer  like Dark.