2017-12-15 01:44:26

I'm giving a GDC talk primarily to raise awareness that blind gamers exist and should be supported.

I plan to provide a link to audiogames in the presentation, so developers have a better chance of connecting with you all. If there are any other places I should consider adding links to, please let me know.

Also, thank you to everyone for patiently answering all my questions. I couldn't have put this together without you.

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/trip … ind/854733

Thanks,

- Karen Stevens

2017-12-15 04:27:05

I wonder if this talk will be streamed / recorded and archived somewhere? or if you must be in physical attendance.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-15 05:18:16

I'm pretty sure it will be archived, but we'll have to wait a few weeks after the fact.

2017-12-15 05:44:00

The feeling is mutual, I think we all really appreciate what your doing.
Now to be honest I don't own a console, have heard mostly bad things about EA as a company, and haven't played any EA games on any of my friend's consoles.
But on the other hand, the fact that some changes are actually getting put through, and that your all over Reddit and AG.net collecting info, doing talks, and having honest interactions with everyone is just awesome!
Thanks so much for all your hard work, and even if not much is getting through on a tangible level, your helping to improve the over all situation by drawing attention and setting the example by making connections between publisher's and disabled players.

As for things to mention, mostly I'd suggest linking to the Twitter and Youtube of people like Liam Erven, Sightless Kombat, MegaTgarrett, and Drew M.
Also if they want some examples of older audio games, than agarchive.net is good too.

2017-12-15 08:53:27

Wow. Good luck with the presentation. You are really making a difference for blind gamers. Keep up the fantastic job...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-12-15 17:55:03

Thank you Karen for all the amazing work you do, making AAA EA games accessible for us. I hope that your talk goes well, and that other major developers can follow in your footsteps. I cannot wait for what lies in the future. I believe that you raising awareness will have a profound effect on other developers. Thank you again!

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2017-12-15 19:37:00

I have no control over what GDC decides to record or post, but you might want to ask them in advance about it on twitter - I think it would have more impact if members of the community asked, rather than me. https://twitter.com/ea_accessible/statu … 4284240896

As for EA's game support - it's going to take time. I do have some minor say these days as to what gets into sports titles, but all types of accessibility need support, so it can be spread thinner than I'd like. Outside of sports, I currently only relay feedback and provide advice when asked - which means if you want to see more change outside of sports, I absolutely need your feedback to do so. Feedback is how I was able to get changes into Madden, so it can be effective. Feedback for sports titles also helps me give requests extra weight, making them more likely to happen.

One step at a time.

- Karen Stevens

2017-12-16 08:33:33

Thank you, very much!

2017-12-19 05:53:43

People pay very large sums of money to attend GDC, the talks are recorded and archived but usually only viewable by people who attended the conference, if you had a ticket you also get a password to access the talk archive.

Only a few talks each year are chosen to be made publicly available on YouTube, but yep certainly wouldn't hurt to ask in advance.

Somewhere else that hasn't been mentioned yet - the applevis listings and forums, for iOS development.

2017-12-19 07:59:42

This is definitely a rather useful talk that would be beneficial to see it make the public rounds. We'll see how it goes, though.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2017-12-20 22:59:35

It is true that it is rare for a GDC talk to become public. Most that have are around advocacy, so this does have a chance - and my advocacy talk on low vision changes to Madden was made public last year. I have no control this year's talk is chosen or not, though. Asking in advance would probably up the odds of this happening.

2017-12-20 23:02:06

This is awesome, Karen—congrats on getting this put together, and thanks for your advocacy. I'm bummed that I won't be there this year, but it's ridiculously exciting to hear about a talk like this at GDC.