2017-10-27 12:55:11

Basically the subject says it all. Anyone got a nitendo switch and actually able to play some games on it? More curious than anything

2017-10-27 14:11:51

Am wondering the same thing, because I'm interested in Pokken Tournament and Ultra Street Fighter 2, so far, although Blazblu Cross Tag Battle's coming as well. Also, I'm wondering how the actual interface of the device itself is, how easy is it to launch games and such?

2017-10-28 07:36:39

There is no screen reader on the Nintendo Switch. Nintendo doesn't care enough to do anything for blind people. Honestly I don't know why people don't do whatever they did to Microsoft to get them to add Narrator into Windows 2000, but it's probably
a complicated process.

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).

2017-10-28 14:50:37

Yeah I don't think we're likely to see Nintendo do anything like that. While Microsoft have done some amazing work with narrator on xbox and windows 10 over all, not every company is going to have the same vested interests. As much as it sucks, ultimately we're just a small fraction of the market at the end of the day, and a company's gotta do what it's gotta do to keep in the game. That being said the last few years have brought about some amazing things, and I think we're in for a very exciting future.

2017-10-28 15:46:19

Hi,
I wasn't necessarily asking if there was a screen reader, although of course if that were to happen, it'd be epic but probably a little doubtful for now. I, after all, have a 3ds, and it's quite easy to launch games because each tab makes it's own sound.

2017-10-28 15:53:31

I'd love to know what games you've managed to play on the 3DS. If you'd rather have a new thread for that I'll make one

2017-10-28 16:15:22

Lol, nintendo don't need screen readers on any of their concils. The menus are easy enough to navigate on their own that all it takes is a bit of memorisation. And i don't think its that they don't care about blind people exactly, they are just like most major companies where they don't really pay too much attention to accessibility to kno what to put in to help. Has anybody even tried contacting them? Maybe they have and they actually don't care at all about accessibility, but if nobody's contacted them, well, there never gonna know ebout it to implament it then are they?

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-10-29 12:29:48

shotgunshell wrote:

There is no screen reader on the Nintendo Switch. Nintendo doesn't care enough to do anything for blind people. Honestly I don't know why people don't do whatever they did to Microsoft to get them to add Narrator into Windows 2000, but it's probably
a complicated process.

So, are you saying, screw all products which doesn't offer a screenreader? Then you're saying that the XBox is the only way to go, at leased for us outside the US. Because, Sony doesn't care about blind people as well, since they haven't made any improvements to their TTS for very long time, and they are not interested in making the screenreader available outside the US...
I would like to try a Switch to see what it is like, but I don't know anyone who have the console. I like the concept, but it seems the console isn't very pobular for some reason...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-10-29 13:03:04

Hi,
Regarding the 3ds, there's Dead or Alive Dimensions, Super Smash Bros, Rhythm heaven megamix (known as rhythm paradise megamix if in UK or Europe) and those are the games that I play a lot. Out of those, I'd say Dead or Alive and Rhythm Paradise are my most played games, but Smash Bros is fun for a blast. I have not tried out Kirby Battle Royale or Hrule Warriors yet, but I may pick those up as well.

2017-10-29 13:20:00

As someone who bought a switch on day 1, I can confidently say that it's kinda good, but it's simply not accessible. As the hardware is significantly underpowered compared to any xbox / ps4 hardware (like approx 1.5x Wii U) every scrap of computational power available will be thrown at native titles, so there probably isn't a lot of overhead for it to do speech synthesis.

Even for third party titles or ports, making games accessible takes additional time and effort - hence cost, so the hard reality then becomes that they'll be looking at the bottom line to decide whether it's financially viable. It's the same when devs or publishers decide whether to port something to Linux or Mac, often that the time/work/effort involved in the port would cost more than they would recoup from the sales on that platform, so often they don't do it.

I'm not saying that Nintendo in particular are being complacent in not providing accessibility, or that they should be chastised for it - just that there are other practicalities involved. Also, if you haven't played Street Fighter 2 on the Switch then you're really not missing out on that much.

2017-10-29 17:26:23

I was wondering, is fire emblem warriors playable? I know the game is like all the dynasty warriors / samurai warriors games but i'm curious if this one is playable

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2017-10-30 14:57:09

I have had a switch since late March now, and I believe I can help answer a few questions.
The overall interface is quite accessible without a screen reader. If you ever click a button you shouldn’t have, just click the home button and you will be placed above the game you have placed in the cartridge slot.
As for game accessibility:
1-2 Switch: is accessible due to the nature of the game.
Ultra street fighter II: the menu is somewhat accesible, the fights are pretty good, but all you can hear is the attacks, even in new style.
Mario kart 8 deluxe: Surprisingly, it works. All you need to do is have smart steering enabled and you should be good from there.
ARMS: I was excited about this game. From the audio cues alone, I was able to defeat Hedlok on Level 4 once. The menus are straight forward, however te screen does wrap.
I do plan on trying Super Mario Odyssey. I’m not sure about Fire Emblem Warriors. I hope this helps out.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2017-10-30 15:30:37

o help. Has anybody even tried contacting them? Maybe they have and they actually don't care at all about accessibility, but if nobody's contacted them, well, there never gonna know ebout it to implament it then are they?

I believe I remember Dark saying he'd contacted Nintendo and Capcom about accessibility, several years ago, and got very negative responses.
I should point out that Microsoft is based in the US, while Nintendo and Soni are based in Japan. The legal situation, availible methods of pressure, etc, are somewhat different. Also, Microsoft was in the OS business long before the rise of the Xbox, and this almost certainly has a lot to do with Narrator being on the Xbox - they already had narrator for Windows, so even if a straight port isn't viable, they have most of the hard part done already. Also-also, Microsoft has enough money that Bill Gates can work on building satellite lasers to wipe out mosquitos in his spare time, so they have plenty of resources and it doesn't cost them enough to be a risk.
Nope, the bit that bugs me is the same as it was with the WII: all the things you could do with this interface, but instead it's treated like shiny box-art. I mean, look at the haptics on both of them. Yet, outside of the tiny demonstration games, what's being done with them?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-10-30 16:35:01

I plan on contacting them as soon as school lets up. To get a response out of Nintendo, I would suggest giving outright suggestions for accesibility. In Mario Kart 8 deluxe, for example, I would suggest when using both Joy-Cons, giving haptic feedback from the left would signal to turn left, and vice versa.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2017-10-31 00:13:41

Maybe we should just make accessible games for the Switch ourselves? If the Switch is included in the Nintendo Developer Portal, that is.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-11-01 15:04:03

I'm not an app developer myself, so I have no cluE how that would work. Only thing I know is that Unreal and Unity arE supported.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2017-11-02 00:53:16

@Post13 Do you happen to know what responses he got from them? When you say negative, it makes me think of something along the lines of "Go away, your opinion doesn't matter to us."

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).

2017-11-02 15:40:21

@Mich hi, do yu know if you can do a recording of your switch in action? I haven't heard the switch's interface yet.

2017-11-02 15:49:01 (edited by CAE_Jones 2017-11-02 15:59:21)

@shotgunshell: I don't remember exactly, but I seem to remember one of them sounding like a more polite version of that. I think he also got the "too much cost for too little benefit" argument, and something about not wanting to be seen as "an accessibility company", but I don't remember which companies gave which responses. I'll try to find the posts in question.

[edit]found one. It seems Nintendo had one of the friendliest responses:

Dark wrote:

That fact has been demonstrated to me on several occasions reguarding some telephone conversations I've had about minimal levels of low vision tweaking of the Wii menue system, or appropriate euro game releases of stuff I could play, with the very unpleasant Capcom (who actually told me I was the only low vision player in the Uk), and the incredibly sympathetic but ultimately not useful Nintendo, ---- who simply did not have a way to contact the developement agents, and actually advised me against E-mailing sinse the chance of having an E-mail answered were somewhere less than zero.

[/edit]

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-11-02 23:00:59 (edited by Mitch 2017-11-02 23:05:33)

Aaron, I would love to crate a recording, but I do not have any good equipment to do so.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2017-12-31 18:12:54

Update: I tried Pokken Tournament DX, and it is probably the easiest menu system ever, and fighting is really easy to do.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion