2017-07-08 17:02:07 (edited by Tensoon the Kandra 2017-07-08 18:01:02)

Hi Folks

I recently downloaded Swamp and it seems awesome, I was wondering if there are still user created campaigns floating about.  I checked all the posts I could find on the topic, but all the links listed are broken, and most of them contain at least one person saying that the campaigns don't work on the newer versions.

Are there any campaigns that work on the new version?  It seems like there is a lot of interest for campaigns, but since the game has evolved so much it seems like they have died out completely.

I just want to get used to the aiming using only sound thing.  I am not used to it, and it is proving to have a steeper learning curve than I would have thought.  It would be very useful to have a simple campaign to practice on before I play online.  I tried scripting something basic for myself, but I am not sure how the item placements, pickups  and the store works.  I did read the campaign guide, but since I do not know what is available online I also do not want to have my shop selling things too cheap, or selling things it does not usually sell.

Can someone please direct me to any topic related to campaigns or even just scripting campaigns that are still alive?

2017-07-09 01:15:25 (edited by CAE_Jones 2017-07-09 01:18:07)

If all you want to do is practice, the custom maps mode is essentially a practice mode.
I think all of the campaigns on this page which have two links have at least one that still works. However, that server is a jerk and replaces all the linebreaks in any text file that is not zipped, so if you try to open a txt file from there, you'd need to open it in your browser, select all and copy/paste into a new file.
[edit]The primary link is usually the one that works, not the mirrordd[/edit]

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-07-09 07:47:31 (edited by defender 2017-07-09 07:48:19)

I keep thinking I should make new campaigns, but honestly I can't wrap my head around some of it, I know I should be able to, it's idiot proof, but I just can't figure out things like how to apply variables to various situations or nest them and that kind of awesome stuff that Fyquest does.
I didn't even know you could use player x player y as a variable until someone told me, which is really discouraging, because then what else am I missing out on? and it's such a necessary tool as well.
I should try to make some pretty simple ones that are still fun, I think I just try too hard to add all the bells and whistles when you can already do so much with so little effort.

I feel really bad that campaigns sorta stop being made, because Swamp is payed now and campaigns are the most fun that non paying players can have.
But part of the problem is that sometimes you just need a custom map for your campaign, and Cae's map editor is still pretty buggy, even if it's awesome that it exists.
You get used to it after a while, but I haven't used it in ages which means I'll have to go through that all again, lol.
I'm pretty sure it's also not altogether compatible with the newest version of Swamp, either, and while some of the default maps are pretty cool, we've pretty much seen them all, so it's nice to have something new.

Part of the problem is also that Swamp limits the volume of ambience, so you can't really add anything more cinematic, which kind of sucks as a sound designer. For instance I wanted to add a truck periodically firing a mounted machine gun out of it's bed into the desert, but when I did it was super quiet and I couldn't do anything about it, and the same happened with a guy fixing up weapons that I wanted to add, it just didn't sound good.
I know that's probably got something to do with how distance from the sound source is calculated for the player, but it still kinda sucks.
Thankfully allies aren't as buggy any more though.

Another thing is that you can't really add new weapons unless it's one that you use a chat command for, and use a rectangular hitbox from the players position to another point. So that limits it to rocket launchers or nukes and such, and it's still kind of clunky.
The weapon selection is thankfully pretty good as it is, but you can't add new ones, or even rename them with a translation file without also effecting the player's normal game.
I wish you could have temporary translation files, but Aprone hasn't updated the game for ages and he probably won't, either.
Not that I particularly blame him but still...

That said, I should really start making some fun, simple campaigns on the default maps again, it's really not that hard and the documentation isn't bad.

2017-07-09 12:18:48

Thanks for the links.  I tried out the custom maps mode, the issue I had with that is that it does not allow access to the shop.  The shop just remains empty as far as I could tell.  I just made a script that essentially functions as a more personalized custom map that at least adds all the ammo types to the shop and that randomly spawns items.  It is hard to get the item spawn ratio right though.  I think making games balanced is hard.  I often wish I could code so that I can put my ideas to good use, but I think I would have sucked at balancing things out.

I think it would have been really cool if someone made a MOBA map for swamp that kind of functions like a cross between Smite, Dota and overwatch.  It could use Zombie hordes as creeps that let you gain experience and you would have to constantly defend your towers and protect your base having several different abilities for different characters allowing for healers, tanks, nukers/gankers etc.  In true Dota fashion you would only need one map, but a lot of characters, abilities and items.

I played a bit of The Killer beta yesterday and I played Red Spot for about 2 minutes before deciding that it is too overwhelming to even start figuring out how it works.  These games function like free for all shooters.  I would love to play something more team orientated.  Playing in teams might also motivate long time players in helping out noobies instead of just taking advantage of their ignorance.

2017-07-09 13:24:15

There was at least 1 DOTA styled campaign a long time ago, because I remember making it myself.  You placed towers and defended against waves of zombies trying to reach your compound.  I have no idea where it would be, if any copies of that campaign are floating around somewhere.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-07-09 13:33:37

Ahoy all
here is a link to the dropbox folder
I created ages ago,and many people contributed to.
Its rather err,a mess,though atm.
The campaigns may or may not work, may not be compatible with the latest version of swamp and so on, but this should allow people access to all those old campaigns and someone can always sit down and update the campaign they like.
If nothing else, reading the campaigns already created should give you a good idea on how things are done.

I think Aprones campaign is in there,too although couldn't say it with certainty one way or the other.
still,hth.
grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2017-07-09 14:24:52 (edited by CAE_Jones 2017-07-09 14:28:49)

Aprone's campaign ("Pyramid") was in there last I checked, which was admitedly a long time ago. It's also on my scs page above, but IDR if it's one with a working link.
There is also a campaign meant to simulate multiplayer (... somewhat, anyway), and that one I do remember having a still-working link. It only really includes the first map and one warehouse mission.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-07-09 16:52:26

Thanks for the replies and links.  I downloaded the dropbox folder and I will see what works and what does not.

I have not had time to try any of them yet though, but I was thinking about my previous comment quite a bit.

Even though it is going off topic a bit, why are most of the multiplayer games free for all? Is it because there are not enough players to always have enough people to play 5 versus 5 matches or whatever? When I was playing The Killer yesterday there was never more than 5 people online at once, though I am not sure how many people can enter the same match, it does not seem like there was a lot of players.  I am just curious why team oriented play is not more common.  Forgive me if I am not aware of some titles, but I don't think I overlooked a hidden list somewhere.  If I look at the amount of topics and discussions about red spot and survive the wild I cannot imagine the online community being too small to populate servers that only cater for team play.  I think the Killer servers were just empty-ish because the game  is new or something