2017-06-26 19:02:32

Hi everyone,

I'm dying to play Eamon. I used to play it all day on the old Apple 2 E, and I've been searching for a way to play it on windows. Eamon Diluxe won't work, I'm running windows 10 64 bit version, so it will not work.
Does anyone know how I can play Eamon? Is there any way at all? I don't know how to use the apple II amulators. Can someone help me out with that, and point me in the right direction to get Eamon running?
I also know I could run a virtual machine, and run eamon diluxe on there, but I don't know how to set one up for free.
If anyone could help me with any of these things, it'd be awesome.
Thanks so much!

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2017-06-26 20:52:04

There's Talking DOSBox. You could run Eamon Deluxe with that.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-06-26 20:54:49

I don't know how to work talking dosbox either. lol Where can I get it, and how do I work it?
I really appreciate any responses. Sorry to be a pain. smile

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2017-06-27 07:59:19

Hi.
Wow, what is the game about and what is so cool about it?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-06-27 08:22:11

Eamon is an old classic text adventure. It's so awesome. I used to skip class and play it at school. I was hooked, and I'd love to play it again.

2017-06-27 14:50:52

I'd love to get hold of Frank black, Eamon deluxe developer and let him know about the talking dosbox, since creating a version of edx that can run on anything  including post xp windows has been something we discussed.
while I did get an email from him last year, I'm unfortunately not sure where he is n now, though I do hope he'll get back and help to create a universal version of ed  edx, since the games are indeed awesome, especially with a lot of the enhancements and updates made to them in edx (such as the   main hall that lets you actually build up your character between adventures).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-06-28 00:06:26

Would someone be willing to skype with me, and help me get Dosbox with Eamon Diluxe running?

2017-06-28 02:52:52

Well I'd really like to know how to get talking dosbox working on my x64 system.
I have gotten com0com installed but how do I know what coms are free the last time I tried I had com 9 and 10 used, however the issue is the emulator for the bns, I run it, I am sure the params are set but it just doesn't run it just quits or simply just doesn't work even though it may actually load.
I thought that the idea was I could use dosbox on my 64 bit box.
If dosbox is this stuborn I may as well reformat and downgrade to 32 bit and while thats fine on this 4gb ram unit, I was trying to stay up with the times, and I know the next system I get will be 64 bit.

2017-06-28 03:00:37

Well, besides emailing
[email protected]
, unsure what else to tell yall. It seems that its still active thanks to the Eamon AG page over at
http://eamonag.org

2017-06-28 07:49:43

hi, that leads me to another question. Eamon seems to have a lot of games in it. Is it even possible to Play all the games wich haven't been explicitly ported for eamon deluxe? So, we could get the whole experience without Limits. And if yes, where can all the other games for eamon be found?

2017-06-28 09:18:08 (edited by queenslight 2017-06-28 09:19:31)

You can try and get Eamon Apple Disk Files to work with the "talking" Mess Apple emulator, which would be your best bet then.

2017-06-28 10:10:54

wow, thank you for the tipp. That Looks great. Hmm, there's even a complete eamon CD on there, I'll have a look at it since eamon sounds very interesting. Do the classic eamon games have sounds as well, or some of them? And, does the Emulator only work with speech or is it even possible to read the texts on a Braille Display?

2017-06-28 11:48:22

Some adventures do, though most don't.
Sadly, I have no way to test if Mess Apple could support a braille display.

2017-06-29 07:45:30

Hi.
If those games have been so popular, I think they are available in more modern versions like for IOS, Inform or an other text game platform.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2017-06-29 22:18:49

Sadly Slj the inform community do not like Eamon, which is why ports have been so few.
the eventual intention with  eamon deluxe was to port all of the classic games,   which was actua,lly going well  af  a few years ago, but as I said I don't know where development is now and sadly nobody really has got involved in much else with Eamon.

The one problem with emulation, is that the best copy of the eamon main hall was the graphical one. In the bog standard bare bones text version, there is no way to improve your character between adventures or get better weapons, one  reason why people tended to either  load a super strong character from another disk or the like.
for me a major plus in Eamon deluxe is that you can  take a bog standard character with below average attributes, run them through some beginner level adventures and have them  grow stronger, similarly use the gold you get for successfully completing eamon quests to buy better weapons and armour rather than having to cheat them into existence.
Plus of course, when porting the games to the edx system, frank Black  made some changes and  additions as well, indeed in some of the adventures like the Jim  Jacobson ones he virtually rewrote separate adventures into an onrunning story.

I do still have hopes he'll materialize again, and  then  hopefully not only go on porting more classic Eamons  to edx, but also create a  talking version of edx which is as universally compatible as the standard one.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-02 04:52:16

OK, so would someone skype with me, or work with me one on one to get dosbox working? I'd like to play the eamon games, and other dos games, but no one seems to want to help me.

2017-07-02 11:41:45

I would help if I had tried the talking dosbox. Have you asked in the dosbox topic about what you're having trouble with?

Best regards SLJ.

2017-07-02 16:01:17

I've asked in the topic, and I've emailed Pitermich with no response.
Thanks SLJ.
You know Draconis had said something a long time ago about making a port of the Eamon adventures, but nothing ever came of it. I really hope you can get to try them. They're so awesome.

2017-07-02 17:35:21

I had no luck with it  myself, that is another reason I'd like to get hold of Frank Black since  the  mainstream  version of Eamon deluxe works with standard dosbox so theoretically  writing a stand alone talking  version which would run on windows 10 with a dos synth shouldn't be too difficult for someone who knows the insides of the thing.

2017-07-02 18:27:57

Hi,
@Staindaddict feel free to contact me, EternalGamer, on Skype and I'll try to help you get Talking Dosbox up and running.

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2017-07-04 03:06:02

I looked for you, but a bunch of eternal gamers come up. If you don't mind, add me tro skype. My skype name is goldberg454

2017-07-04 04:10:39

yes i Would like to get it running as well.  My Skype is  tysonsylvester123

“The fear of loss is a path to the dark side. Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy.
The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.” —

2017-07-05 08:21:02

@Staindaddict I added you on Skype, will go to work now and tonight I'll be happy to help you with Dosbox.

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2017-07-05 09:09:46

I accepted your request. Thank you so much.

2017-07-06 20:58:29

I tried eamon with talking dosbox and asap and although things work quite well, I have a little problem reading there. When on an adventure or in the menus, asap doesn't read the full text after the command is entered. For example, when typing s or any other direction, it just says enter your command and I have to read the description line by line. Can anyone give me the solution to this?
I have also read the manual a bit, but didn't seam to get how the reading of the entire screen is used, especially with laptop layout.