2008-05-19 22:31:13 (edited by andy smith 2008-05-19 22:32:59)

Hi people.
SoundRTS is a really cool game. I have a few questions though.

If you're being attacked, how can you defend yourself. I mean, all the peasants in that area scream attack! Attack! Attack!

In most cases though, there is only 2 or so peasants. When usually, I have a whole army.

So, I was wondering, how I can get all my peasants, footman etc. Into the zone of war?

Also, once you build your barrics and farm, what do you do? I mean, you built it all. So, I suppose you get footman, am I right? And also, what are footman used for?

Thanks for your help, guys.

Regards.

Andy.

2008-05-19 23:38:52

Okay, here it is.

Sound RTS is a strategy game, that means you don't directly involve yourself in the fight. You in effect have a god's eye view, so to speak. Units will automatically attack any hostile units in the same square as them, so to have your combat units respond you can do a couple of things. The first is to press control plus S to select all units except peasants, peasants aren't much use in a fight anyway. Then move to the square where the fight is and hit backspace to order them to move there.

The other thing is to set up a patrol, so they automatically move backwards and forwards. Move the units you want to patrol to the start location, lets say for example A1. Then once they arrive and with them all still selected move your focus to the opposite end of the patrol you want, say for example C1 and give them the patrol action. In this case they would go backwards and forwards between A1 and C1 until you tell them otherwise. This means you don't have to give them the order to move to the attacked square, they would get there as part of their patrol automatically. Obviously the bigger the patrol area though the longer it will take for them to get through the loop to the threatened area, and potentially the less control you have over the route depending on how many possible paths there are between the two ends.

Hope that helps some.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-05-20 13:18:53 (edited by mastodont 2008-05-20 13:21:53)

footman are used for fight but they are very weak. exemple if i have 10 knights and you 20 footman the knights will win. also build a blacksmith and up grade footmans armors and swords. if you want some good soldiers the best are knights. for knights you need a keep and a stable. if you want a keep you must upgrade your townhall. wich is your login in sound rts? my login is the sound: knight.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2008-05-20 22:53:12

Think of footmen as the basic soldier, knights as the advanced ones. Knights are a lot better but cost two and a half times as much. On the other hand if you can take out the enemy before they get to the point where they have a keep and a stable then knights are a non issue.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-05-22 04:25:20

what I usually do, is kind of cheat, i pick a game map which gives you a lot of things, and then I upgrade all my soldiers, and I use a passive computer

I try to keep my numbers mostly even, so for example, four footmen, four archers, four knights, and maybe two catapults and two mages

of course if you don't pick a a map to play on like these it will be different for you

Connor

2008-05-22 22:00:59

how do you pick maps?

2008-05-23 04:15:27

well what version of the game do you have?

Connor

2008-05-23 07:24:57

If you want peasants to get involved in th fight, you will also need to set their mode to ofensive (press shift plus a once or twice) and hit enter. If they're on defensive, they will attempt to flee.

2008-05-23 08:24:12

Most of the time that is just a waste of peasants though.

When you start a game you should have the option to select a map, at least if you're using a recent version. The earlier versions only had 3 maps which were selected at the same time as the difficulty. You won't have the option to choose a map if you are just playing the tutorial/campaign section though, you have to either be playing multiplayer or multiplayer against the computer.

cx2
-----

2008-05-23 14:11:05

if you have an earlyer version go to start menu programs sound rts and web. there you can get the newest version: b10g. if you want some maps with many resources i can send you my maps.

Stephen King

2008-05-23 15:01:41

do you have any where there is only like three squares to them?

Connor

2008-05-23 15:27:51

Computer multiplayer? How do you go there?

2008-05-23 16:53:17

you tab through your options at the main menu screen until you get to single player or multiplayer games.  hit enter and then choose a map wih the tab and shift-tab keys.  Then if in single player you can invite passive and aggressive computers but you don't need them both to play.  If in multiplayer you can invite whoever is online if he/she isn't already on a map with someone else.  hth

2008-05-23 19:02:19

catapalts are rubbish!
DOn't wast money and stuff on em man.

2008-05-23 20:03:04

The problem with them for me is their speed. The fight is useally over by the time they aribe on the seen. lots of archers footmen and knightss help thow. You may want a mage too. Dragons can help if you want attack from above, else don't use them. I include everything I can get in as many of my battles as I can. In short, The more I build, the more powerful I become. The power is useless if you don't know how to direct it. I use the cattapolts to gard the back, the dragons are overhead, the archers shoot from  a distence while the knights and footmen rush in for the kill. as for the pessents, I use them for spys if they are not busy doing other things for me. So what are the nmages used for in the fights? I use them heeling or teleportation. I wish I could tell them to kill with magic.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-05-24 00:04:26

Mages do get a magical attack too, it just isn't as much help as a knight with a sword. The healing can make a big difference though.

As to catapults, it's planned for them to be able to fire into other squares apparently. Remember SoundRTS is very much a work in progress.

cx2
-----

2008-05-24 00:24:09

yeah I would say that until they can fire into another square, catapults are pretty useless in my opinion
but like CX2 said, that game seems to never stop changing, the betas just keep coming

Connor

2008-05-24 20:47:09

I've a feeling by the time it is finished, if it ever reaches a static point where you can say it is "finished" we probably won't be able to recognise it from how it is now.

Additionally to the catapults firing into other squares apparently fixed defensive towers are planned, so the two together could play an important part. Catapults could attack without taking damage in return, and the towers naturally can't move to attack the catapults. This would effectively mean you have to still use normal units as part of your defence and not just rely on the towers, as it should be in my opinion.

cx2
-----

2008-05-25 15:22:54

I hope we have lots of choices when this game reaches the finished point. I could even think of a use for thoase carages that were used in these kinds of battles. I guess the heeling helps, but what about setting up wards to protect your men? Also forts would be a great help along with battering rams.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2008-05-26 13:56:15

connor, my maps are z1 z2 z3 z4 and z5. if you want these maps contact me or you can find these maps to the file zone of sound rts chat.

Stephen King

2008-05-26 17:36:06

okay, um, thanks

what I think would be really cool, would be to have the feature of building forts and you can have people inside the forts that kind of work as a defense, and the fort has its own weapons that they operate
that way if you have most of your force out away from your buildings and what not and you get attacked, at least the people inside the fort can hold them off until you get back or whatever

just an idea,

Connor

2008-05-26 17:37:11

oh, I almost forgot, what is the point of first-person mode?

Connor

2008-05-26 17:39:41 (edited by mastodont 2008-05-26 17:40:28)

wich is your log in in sound rts? would you like to play some games with me?

Stephen King

2008-05-26 19:15:04

First person mode I believe is an obsolete feature, from when the game was in its very earliest stages.

And the "fort" thing you described is covered with the possible future introduction of walls and towers. Walls would allow ranged units to sit behind them, towers require no troops and would be an armed building. In Warcraft 2 which SoundRTS has stuck fairly close to there were three types of towers - scout towers which were what you initially built, unarmed but with good sight range, arrow towers which naturally fired arrows and could hit flying enemies, or more powerful cannon towers which can't hit flying enemies. The later two were built as an upgrade at a scout tower. There keeps being references to these towers as part of the plan on the blog if you look closely.

cx2
-----

2008-05-27 22:36:29

nin, its my name, right under all my posts

Connor