2017-03-31 00:06:30

Twitter now includes functionality to automatically block tweets from people who don't have profile pictures set. This is because many of these accounts are bots, spammers and trolls.

So unless you want to be lumped in with that lot and have people missing your tweets to them, set a profile pic! Lots of blind folk don't currently have profile pics set.

More info:

https://twitter.com/ianhamilton_/status … 4766922752

2017-03-31 00:15:04

I think they should do some sort of verification thing, because I do not have a profile picture that I can use on social media. I can see why they'd block it but surely they can come up with other methods as well for those who are blind and who don't have one?

2017-03-31 00:32:31

Interesting....

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2017-03-31 00:34:38 (edited by ianhamilton_ 2017-03-31 01:03:27)

It doesn't have to be a photo of you, can be anything at all, so long as it isn't the default unhatched egg image.

That's worth saying again... there isn't a single person on twitter who doesn't have a profile pic. By default you are given a picture of an unhatched egg. It's just a case of whether you replace that egg with your own image.

2017-03-31 01:25:54

In the process of deciding what to set for a picture. Hmmm, maybe this CAPCHA I kept for some strange reason? big_smile

I honestly think this entire idea is stupidly ridiculous. What's to say people can't simply add a profile picture?

2017-03-31 01:29:06

yeah this solves nothing

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-31 01:39:14

Why is this in general game discussion? lol And I agree with what the majority are saying.. this doesn't really fix the problem.

Discord: clemchowder633

2017-03-31 07:28:56

So who do we write to make them aware of this problem?

2017-03-31 08:42:26

Draq ,you could try speaking with @a11yteam, but their response will be that there is no problem, because there is nothing stopping you from changing your profile picture.

2017-03-31 10:10:04 (edited by Draq 2017-03-31 10:12:25)

ah well. Sent them a tweet anyway. This is ridiculous. Just another example of developers coming up with stupid anti-spam measures that hit innocent users because people can't be responsible. It's not like it'll stop anything. Bots will just be made to put images in profiles. Jerks ruin everything I swear. roll

2017-03-31 12:57:34

Totally agree with Draq, thumbs up. Do they really think that this is the powerful ultimate method to get rid of spambots? AHey, can't they be programmed on setting pics? Surprised by their way of thinking regarding this, do you really think that this one is the appropriate measure to deal with such situations? Well I don't think so.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2017-03-31 15:33:44

Actually, bots usually communicate through the Twitter API. As far as I know there is no API method to set profile pictures for Twitter, so this might solve something. If there is though than this does solve nothing.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-04-01 00:54:42

It's very simple to upload a pic. I think some people are exaggerating this. Choose your battles. I'd much rather have images require alt text, for instance.

2017-04-01 04:05:38

Jage's right. It doesn't even have to be a picture of you if your phone doesn't have a talking camera. Just get a random public domain picture if you so choose. The mute is only looking for eggs.

2017-04-01 08:34:12

Upon doing some research, it seems that the automuting of profiles without a picture is optional. They're also doing away with the egg picture entirely and replacing it with a generic silhouette of a person.

http://altwire.utne.com/story/top/twitt … 6e52773d3d

https://www.recode.net/2017/3/31/151391 … ult-change

So I don't know if this is actually as bad as we think it is, but I still say it's ridiculous.

2017-04-01 13:16:01

I was thinking about looking into setting up twitter for notifying people of audiogames.net news, but until i know a little more about this I'll hold off for now (especially since I also would need a twitter client as I suspect the default windows one is probably rather bare bones).

one problem I always have with any uploading of picture issue, is that most are  either by drag&drop, or by a more complex custom picture uploading method that requires resizing and mucking around with the actual immage not just the file to work, you can't just grab the file using file explorer and C&p it to somewhere.

This is why when I was playing core exiles and uploaded a picture of Reever I actually had to use sendspace to send the file since I couldn't get their image upload system to work.

if twitter will allow a basic copy & paste of a file then this won't be an access problem since all screen readers will
handle a copy and paste operation no problem, if however it takes actual image handling, drag and drop or a custom upload and trim method then it may well be problematic.

I have a nasty suspicion it won't be a basic copy and paste, simply because it would be pretty easy to create a spambot that does the same thing, heck even if it isn't a copy and job, the usual drag and drop resize image handling is very easy for sighted users I doubt it'll stop much anyway.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-01 14:00:40

@Dark: there's a twitter client called chicken nugget, it's paid but it gets updated a lot. There's also the free twblue.

2017-04-01 19:54:29

Draq an example of where it becomes an issue is for example if a game developer gets lots of troll posts from fake accounts so blocks all accounts that don't have a profile pic, and then a blind gamer without a profile pic tries to contact them about accessibility but their message doesn't get through.

Dark, please don't let it stop you. Uploading is simply choosing a file using the standard file system dialogue boxes, and there are also many people who would be very happy to help if needed

2017-04-01 22:21:25

Hmmm.
I can see why you would do this, however, for security reasons I really don't want to post my picture all over the entire net.
I hardly use twitter for posting,  but since I may have to, I will just have to search a photo I made for something else or get some image from the net, or something.
This solves nothing, in fact I could almost say fuck off twitter as I only use it as a monitering thing, wordpress doesn't need this, I'd far better get a logic capcha or something, yes capchas are annoying but I'd prefur that rather than well um,attempting to well I don't know anymore.

2017-04-01 23:06:53

Oh my gosh ian yeah guys april1, he got us good, just searched and can't find anything about this, I got a message on another list about a fake windows update with a in it, vary cool.
Forgot, yesterday was april1 here in nz and nothing happened, man ian you got me good.

2017-04-01 23:32:57

@Aaron thanks. I've heard of chicken nugget, good to know it's still going, though I might have to talk to sander how to get the audiogames.net account working so that I can use it for site updates etc (I assume you can handle multiple twitter accounts in case I want to have a personal twittter as well as an official site one).
@Ian, if indeed the upload process is just a case of a bog standard open file box, probably the main problem will be for vi users to find an avatar picture in a format that works (I don't know if I still have that picture of reever).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-02 01:54:34

@crashmaster
Source

2017-04-03 11:28:59

Crashmaster, I posted this on March 30th, a full two days before April 1st.

There are bucketloads of articles covering it, for example:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/03/so-lon … e-you-all/

There is no requirement at all to post a picture of yourself. A profile image can be anything you want. It can even be a picture of an egg. 

Dark - once you've chosen a file it gives you the option to crop and scale it, but you don't have to. It automatically selects the largest square possible from the centre of the image. Speak to @heydonworks on twitter, he is taking requests:

https://twitter.com/heydonworks/status/ … 4247647232

2017-04-03 14:05:43

Ian's right. Any picture can be used for your profile, it doesn't just have to be a picture of you as some people are scared about. Personally I don't see any reason to be afraid of this and I personally think it's about time Twitter does something, even this. Twitter's gotten a bad rap over not cracking down on harassment, and rightfully so. Personally I'd be more concerned about the automated flagging bot making a mistake and flagging your account in vein. Even so, Twitter's not gonna immediately act on flagged accounts, and knows the bot will make mistakes. Back to my point though, any image from the public domain will suffice. Long as it's not from an application or a copyrighted image, you're fine. And by the way, for those who don't know, m.twitter.com/settings works to upload a picture, so no having to deal with the slow site.

2017-04-03 22:51:26 (edited by Draq 2017-04-03 22:54:44)

Well darn. It looks like I won't be able to upload a photo until I get my Windows 10 machine set up. I can't see any way to upload a photo on IE, and if I try with Firefox the whole thing crashes when I try to open a file.