2017-03-29 07:43:51

I am thinking the general process for finding 32-bit iOS apps is important enough that it should at some point be posted into the news room. Meanwhile ...

After you upgrade to iOS 10.3 (which you do from Settings, General, Software Update) you will find that you can go to Settings, General, About, Applications and there will be a list of apps which are 32-bit only and therefore slated for obsolescence as of iOS 11 (this is the same place you get sent when you press "Learn More" in a warning that appears when you try to launch one). The app names are buttons that take you to the respective App Store pages. Even if you can download an app now, it doesn't follow that it's published on the store; it could be that the app was pulled, and you've simply been relying on your past purchase, which is still available for download as long as the dev is still subscribed to Apple. At any rate, they won't be published with the release of iOS 11, and it's a pretty good bet that the move to 64-bit heralds an all 64-bit hardware line-up in future requirements for new iOS releases.

Any apps you find, add them here so everyone's aware. And tell the author, so they update to 64-bit binaries.

A couple of Hosted Games are still 32-bit, one of which isn't published any more. But the standouts for me are all the audiogame.it games from Inquisitor up.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-03-29 12:16:57

Hi.
You know, some might disagree on that, but I personally think that the move to 64 bit systems is the right thing to do, it wouldnt wonder me if apple drops all the 32 bit devices with the release of iOS 11. I heard that some people dont like it when apple drops products from their line up or cancels support for their device, but you have to look at android for example, some of the phones never even get a major update in their whole lifespan.
I find it good that apple is trying to in force the use of 64 bit applications, but i guess there will be a lot of apps leaving the store, apps of smaller developers for example, we will see what happens.
For example, I need to check around for a new forum browser because forum runner is on the list of 32 bit aps.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-03-29 20:23:40

If most of these apps haven't been updated by now, I doubt they ever will. I may be wrong on that. After all, there are still about six months left before iOS 11 is released to the public. Didn't Apple send out notices to all registered developers who haven't updated their apps? What's the exact cutoff timeframe? I downloaded something which hasn't been updated since July 2015 and I didn't find it in the 32-bit app list. Is it somewhere in 2015 or 2014?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-03-29 20:46:43

First 64-bit phone was the iPhone 5S in late 2013. Apps should all be universal fat binaries (that is, have both architectures) by now. That they aren't speaks volumes ... regardless of how you feel about Apple dropping the 32-bit subsystem.

Just myself, as usual.

2017-03-29 20:51:37

Hmmm.
You now bar the larger memmory sizes, 64 hasn't been embraced fully just yet.
I think its good for apple to push for this, at some point, people will want to go beyond 4gb ram slots.
Or to put it in another perspective most pcs are 64 bit and have 8gb ram unless you get the 4gb models.
Here's the thing, 99.9% of all software on pc is still 32 bit though a few are 64 bit but not 64 bit exclusively.
A lot of the blind programs, nvda, all our games especially the aging vb6 stuff is 32 bit.
So if pcs were going that way we'd have to put a petition to stop them doing that because everything we have won't be able to migrate.
What scares me is how much we still depend on the old x86 structure.
x86 systems can support up to 4gb ram but thats it.
No more, no less.
We were happy to abandon 16 bit apps, dos, the old fat 2gb disk space, the newer fat32 disk alocations, though a lot of flash drives and such only support up to 32 gb of space on fat and fat32 systems on a lot of the book players.
Ntfs is faster but not all of that is switched.
I do think that where it must start sadly is the smart phone sector.
Back in the early days of sonnar's history we tried to release audiogame hub I think it was the first public as 64 bit but don't quote me on it.
I found it wouldn't install or run on my 32 bit system.
Still it made me think maybe I would upgrade just maybe it was a new era.
But with complaints and the like we went back to 32 bit and dropped the 64 bit build.
In my dad's work they had office and I was pushing for us to go 64 bit because we had a rated system with the extra ram and the os only to be told there was no advantage for us to upgrade to 64 bit at all.
And maybe its just it.
64 bit processers can handle 32 bit software.
We are so comfortable in this reguard we think it will go for ever.
And it may in deed do that for a while.
However we all know we will eventually have to switch.
The newest intel processers and tech will not run on anything older than win10 and ms keeps threatening to drop 32 bit windows.
Weather they would be able to drop 32 bit support entirely is another thing.
But the fact apple is doing it while really disruptive will clean them out.
It will also show us users who is active and or not.
More importantly it will stimulate others to go fully 64 bit.
If apple does it then google will probably do that with android.
And when that happens others will sit up and take a more active interest.
I am unsure about pcs, but to be honest if ms dropped windows 32 bit I wouldn't care that much.
The only disadvantage to 32-64 bit is that program sizes are just a lot bigger half as big.
Example the windows update released this month was 500mb or round that for 32 bit, its double with 64 bit.
Why is that the case?
Also while I know we do have lightspeed fibre, half speed vdsl, standard speed dsl, quarter speed wireless and the like a few still do use dialup or have poor quality connections.
So who knows.
Saying that I updated apps on our ios devices yesterday.
several apps the smaller one the smallest was 5mb but they average round 60-80mb, with a mid range round 200-300mb, however I have seen a 500mb app and I think with computers and apps mirroring smartphones maybe someone has to move and say no more 32 bit and others will try to take notice.
Its more complex for desktops but to be honest though it may disrupt me a great deal I see no problem with in long term.