2017-04-20 16:45:11

Daigonite: First off, thanks for keeping me in line. I shouldn't go so far as to critique utilitarianism as a whole. However, the version of utilitarianism represented by thinkers such as Peter Singer is what I'm referring to. My concern is that if the measuring rod for an action's absolute morality is "how beneficial is this action for society as a whole?" this measuring rod can, I think without significant contradictions, be employed to the detriment of people who are disabled or otherwise represent a drain on the resources of a society.

To address your question about why we can't base morality on quantifiable data—it depends on if morality is about actions or outcomes. As I understand it, morality is about what actions are right or wrong. You can easily say that an action is beneficial toward a particular end, which I think is your point. I don't disagree with that. Where I disagree is with the assertion that this is a satisfactory reason to call that action morally right, because this requires the assumption that the end in question is morally preferable to any other end. So in order to say that actions which benefit human society are morally right, one must be able to say that human flourishing (however we choose to define that) is the greatest objective good—otherwise, such actions are no more morally right than actions which are beneficial toward another end, which may or may not be a greater objective good than human flourishing. So the Christian says that the greatest good is to love and be loved by God, and to serve as His image-bearer in creation; the utilitarian says that the greatest good is the flourishing of human society, as defined by some arbitrary definition for human flourishing. Both require an a priori claim about what the ultimate good is, so my question is: why is the Christian a priori claim inferior to the utilitarian claim you suggest?

Regarding the question of envy: God is a jealous god, to use King James language. This has to do with the idea of worth. I do not have the right to demand your love and worship because I actually don't deserve it. That's sort of redundant—I don't deserve what I don't deserve. The basic Christian conviction is that God is in fact worthy of our love, faith, service, etc.—and if He deserves them, He actually does have the right to demand them. What makes this all the more interesting is that Christians believe the full revelation of God comes in the form of Jesus of Nazareth—and yet Jesus, rather than demanding people's allegiance as was His right, chose instead to die a horrific death at the hands of the very ones who rejected His claims to authority, and said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." So as revealed in Christ, God is both the One who has every right to demand our love and faithfulness, and yet is also the One who takes it upon Himself to make up for our disbelief.

Slender: Frankly, I find the claim that there is no objective morality deeply troubling, and I don't know that anybody actually believes that claim when it comes down to it. Can you honestly tell me that throwing a baby in a wood chipper is only situationally wrong? That selling a nine year old into sexual slavery is only situationally wrong? I am unwilling to accept that claim, and if you disagree, I'd be very interested to hear your justification.

Nocturnus: Was that Pascal's wager in your last post? Nice...

PS - I enjoy this sort of respectful debate, and if my passion ever comes through as dismissiveness or anything like that, I never intend that to be the case. Please give me the benefit of the doubt, as I try to give you—text is a terrible medium for conveying tone and intent.

2017-04-20 16:56:30

Missed a couple of posts as I was typing that I want to respond to:

Daigonite, a couple of things. First of all, you're asking a question that has plagued theologians for centuries, and if it helps, the Christian answer is not as unified as you might expect. Some believe there is an opportunity for redemption after death, others go so far as to say that all are automatically saved by Christ's work, while others believe that one can be an "anonymous Christian" by responding to whatever degree of light and grace God has exposed to them, and others adhere to the traditional model that only by an explicit expression of faith in Christ can one be saved. Just wanted to mention that to say that Christians are wrestling with the same question you raise here.

As for your point that you would rather focus on the here and now than some possible far-off problem, that's a fundamental misrepresentation of the Christian faith. Christianity has at its core the belief that humanity was created as stewards of God's good creation, and that Jesus came to redeem all of creation, and that His church has been entrusted with participating in the reign of God here on earth, right now. Christianity, when it's done right, is seriously concerned with human flourishing on earth. Consider the role that the church has played in history. How many orphans would have died on Roman trash heaps if not for people following Jesus' example? How many plague victims would have been condemned to solitude in their quarantines with nobody to care for them without Christians who took seriously Jesus' command to be where the poor and sick and needy can be found? How many poor of the earth would have starved or died of exposure if not for those who share their material goods because of the influence of Jesus in their life? Yes, plenty of bad has been done in Jesus' name, and plenty of good has failed to be done by those who claim Jesus' name but don't live out His commandments. But that doesn't underscore the dramatic utilitarian benefit that the Christian faith has provided, nor does it negate how much more good would be done for the world if more Christians were to actually live out their calling.

Going back to our a priori assumptions, think of it this way: as a Christian, I believe that I have been called by an infinitely awesome God to steward His creation, which He declares as good, and to take as my example for life the example of one who would lay down His life for His enemies in order to bring them life and healing. Does the secular humanist have a motivation for human flourishing more concrete or compelling than that?

2017-04-20 17:11:06

@Daigonite, I have studdied ethics for years now as an adult. While I do agree belief in god is not a necessity for ethics, I would be very careful with "good of society" as a standard or reason for morality.
As Joseph said, there are plenty of people who would use "social good" to justify all sorts of things, racism, slavery, economic slavery, sexism, especially people who conceive "the good of society" as only referringto that part of humanity they perceive as mattering, ---- consider some of the loopy sexists who think everyone would be better off if women just stayed at home and had children (read the Handmaid's tale for a good portrait of this).
Ultimately focusing on "society" seems to me scarily close to social Darwinism, and ultimately fascism and eugenics.

Myself I'd simply base morality on the fact that everyone suffers, wehther physically, spiritually or through lack of freedom, suffering is bad, and actions that tend diminishing suffering are good.

Of course there are more macro questions about social management and the best political or logical structures how to diminish suffering, but for the basic moral principle you really don't need to go any further, either postulating some great "society" to sacrifice your moral efforts to, or requiring that God be there to guarantee reward or punishment.

As for God nocturnus, I'm afraid when you start postulating questions like "unclean" or god being too holy to look on evil you have simply lost me.

My conception of what god is primarily based on meditation and experience, as well as a little scholarship.

If you asked me to describe! my experience of god I'd say two things.

1: universal love.

2: universal presence.

The best way I can explain this is to say that even were I to get a spaceship and travel light years away into space, I could  conceive of any part of the universe that would not! be a part of that presence.

the idea that something so grubby, so petty so profoundly and disgustingly pointless as our capacity to be nasty to each other would change that is something I find directly inconceivable a very fundamental level.

it would be like the idea that the sun shining down on an ant colony could be affected by where the ants walk.

yet as a contrast to this, was the universal love, the connectedness, the fact that this was not! just the impersonal vastness of creation but something uniquely and profoundly ---- personal.

Okay, we're getting to the point where words don't work anymore.

of course, these are experiences and the conclusions I have drawn from those experiences.
I would claim any authority for these experiences or impressions of god that would really have force to change anothers' beliefs, I put them into words to try and explain why the conception of god and punitive justice is one which is so profoundly alien to me.

Btw, I'm enjoying this topic as well, and also very glad that people are so able to share views without too much by way of shenanigans.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-20 17:18:54

Seconded, @Joseph Westhouse and post 251 and 252.  the power that drives us has not, we believe, come from within and of ourselves, else we would bost about it and ourselves, something we hope we have not done on this topic and do not wish to do anywhere else.  How many people are left standing in an argument if the general consensus is against those who argue it?  We know our faith and our beliefs are not poppular, yet here we are, against the overall majority, arguing for something that, methinks, it would be much, much easier for us to just, put away.  Wouldn't I love to just say, forget it.  You're all right and I'm absolutely and entirely wrong.  Who, in their right mind, joins in a tug of war match on the sidethat clearly seems to be losing?  Who, with reason, would join that side if practically everyone else thinks him mentally ill or bereft of said reason?
Are we fanatics, you ask?  Nope, we are believers.  the difference between faith and fanaticism is straightforward; faith is believing there is a god, while fanaticism expects everyone else to believe it, too.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-04-20 17:23:08

Dark was posting while I was; glad to see you back on this topic, sir.  Honestly, I'm glad it's still going civilly for the most part, which is proof we can keep it that way.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-04-20 17:26:48 (edited by Joseph Westhouse 2017-04-20 17:30:07)

Dark and Daigonite: I forgot to include this in my last response, but since we've again raised our question about why a God so vast and so loving would be bothered by our little sin, I wanted to address it from a Christian perspective. Again, this is a perspective that starts with the assumption that God is revealed in Jesus Christ, and in Scripture. I don't think the following is something that can be gleaned by personal experience alone.

The Christian conviction is that, while love, omnipresence, eternality, and so on are all essential characteristics of God, so too is holiness. In fact, I waffle back and forth on whether I'd say love or holiness is the dominant characteristic of the God of the Bible. God being holy means He is altogether set apart from sin—a totally holy God cannot, by His nature, tolerate sin in His presence because He is altogether other from it, and His very nature is such that it demands the eradication of sin. Whether or not hell is literal fiery torment is a matter of considerable debate, but the basic Christian conviction is that all whose sins have not been punished in the person of Jesus must receive the punishment for those sins simply because punishing sin is part of God's holy nature, no more or less fundamental to Him than is His love or His mercy. Again, we as humans don't have a way of balancing all of these attributes, and to me that's part of what's so amazing about the cross—it's the only way that God's intrinsic nature as the one who punishes sin and the one who forgives it could both be fulfilled—and could be fulfilled in a way that demanded nothing of us, but rather demonstrated His own self-giving nature. So where the debate rages among theologians is how exactly that atonement is imparted to sinners—as mentioned above (does it require an explicit confession, is it automatically extended to all, is it available to all and eventually all will accept it, etc.)

So it kind of sounds like a cop-out, but the simple Christian answer is "God punishes sin because that's what God is like." But thankfully, God also bears the punishment for sin in Himself, because that is what God is like.

Edit in response to Nocturnus: Thanks for the reminder that we are not to boast in ourselves. It's actually kind of ironic—the Bible says that ultimately, faith is a gift, and without those to whom it is given, the gospel is nonsense. And yet here we are trying to explain the gospel logically...because from our worldview, the gospel is the most logical thing there is (though it's also still mysterious). But we know it's not in our power to persuade anybody by clever reasoning, nor is it our job—we are, I hope, just trying to present as faithful a view of our position as possible, especially since so many professing Christians, today and through the ages, have failed to do so.

2017-04-20 17:42:19

Precisely what I've been trying to say from the very beginning.  lol
It's not a number game to me; it's not about how many people I can personally convert or personally bring to church or personally mold to my personal purpose and beliefs.  We do not trust in numbers; we do not trust in the power of persuasive speech!

2017-04-20 18:11:25

eI hope this isn't a tug of war big_smile.

So long as nobody is promoting hatred, I  always appreciate listening to a well presented perspective even if I do not necessarily agree, indeed the art of amicable disagreement is a necessary skill for the study of philosophy, since if people in a university philosophy department started  to attack each other everytime there was a disagreement the places would be war zones big_smile.

I'm personally not trying to convert anyone either, I just find exchanging these sorts of views and tallying experiences interesting, and after all this is a discussion! forum (emphasis on the discuss).

I think the form of christianity posited here Joseph  a rather different one either to that I grew up with or that practiced by my lady, since generally the focus there was far more about loving thy than sinand , , indeed I was told about origan's philosophy by the vicar who confirmed me.

perhaps it's a matter of emphasiss or experience I'm not sure.
I rather liked Bishop spong's idea that the crucifiction was far more a matter of God's experience of human suffering and God's trascendence beyond death than  necessity for paying some sort of cosmic toll.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-20 18:13:23

I believe your concerns are quite relevant, and I think that, as you stated, it reflects a problem not in utilitarianism but with ignorance of our understanding of disabled individuals. Indeed, one of the largest problems regarding the disabled is how poorly we actually understand their needs, and the common misconception that their challenges cannot be overcome, despite rapidly expanding technology proving otherwise. Quite disappointing how human ignorance and claims of impossibility can inflict so much damage and spread such misinformation.

I suppose that using the word moral is probably a flaw on my part; indeed I generally have quite a bit of disdain for morals because they often cannot accomidate for new circumstances, which is a major problem in following religious morals. After all, the belief that x action is always moral or immoral (implying objective morality) may change depending on the circumstances. It may be better to argue that morals, while useful as a quick reference, is not really the best choice for society to follow strictly.

This is why an engineering based morality system is more appropriate. Engineering will adapt towards what is required right now, and will change based on what the current needs are to be accomplished. While perfection will never be reached, it is adaptive and able to accomidate for a changing enviorment, something that morality in any form struggles with (as does any other system based on absolutes - even if they are subjective).

An example of how this can be played out - women's rights is a popular subject among many people, and for all intents and purposes, women should have equal rights. Why? Because based on utilitarian principles, we are not allowing our society to reap the benefits of integrating women. However, in some circumstances, this might change - for example, in a post apocalyptic future with few human survivors, letting women perform fighting or battle roles may cause the extinction of the species, because women have a long gestation period while men lay their side of reproduction in one night. This is just one of many examples.

Your perspective on worth is actually quite insightful and reflects a perspective that I never considered before (likely because many religious folks do not double well as philosophers; you seem to be a fine exception). As a non religious person, I am left confused with a few things though:

-What actually seperates god and Jesus christ? I thought they were near analogous. It seems like Jesus Christ executes himself in a way thats far more kind than God does.

- While certainly interesting, I don't really find this argument to be a compelling argument for the existence for God. Pascal's wager doesn't really impress me either since in order to even make such a wager, you must assume that god exists in the form that is defined by Christianity or related religions. After all, it may be true that a "god" may exist, but may exist in a form that no human has ever predicted before, and the afterlife/god may not resemble the Christian description in the slightest. It could be possible that god even punishes Christians for not believing in him the way that he intended because of this. Instead, it is easier and more effective for humanity to ignore claims that have no verifiable evidence, because without evidence, any claim can be made.

- None of this really backs why we should believe in the morality of Christianity over any other doctrine, from the outside, unfortunately.

- While Christianity in its most pure form may be interested in the same end goal as I am, my criticism more lies in the fact that I don't believe that Christianity's approach will be effective. This is analogous towards my attitude of activism as well, and it seems like both models rely on spreading specific information instead of spreading useful information. Christianity relies on information that cannot be independently verified, such as the existence of a God (or at least when interpreted literally, do not appear to be independently verifiable). While it is possible that God may be trying to fool humanity, this seems counter intuitive against what God represents, undermines the ability for humans to succeed in following him, and would likely have evidence of its occurance. Claiming that this is the work of satan also makes little sense because if any interaction were to occur, it would have potential evidence; if we have not discovered that evidence yet, then we should not assert what has actually occured.

Ultimately, this boils down to Christopher Hitchen's quote - "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." It is impossible to know what exists for things we do not have evidence for. To assert that a Christian god exists or does not exist is futile, because no evidence exists for either. It makes more sense therefore to ignore the possibility until evidence compels us.

Let me know though that while I am on the opposite side of the argument, I appreciate your thoughtfulness on the subject; it's very rare to find someone who carefully tries to outline the philosophical principles behind these beliefs. I greatly appreciate your courtesy.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2017-04-20 18:46:04

Dark: My problem with saying that the crucifixion isn't about paying some sort of actual debt that was owed is that this isn't how the Bible talks about it. So how we understand the crucifixion (as with most things in theology) depends largely upon whether our starting point is Scripture or experience. Do we start with the Scripture and bring it to bear on our experiences, or vice versa?

Daigonite: "What exists without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." In that case, we can dismiss the notion that there is anything worthwhile about pursuing the overall benefit of society, since the claim that the flourishing of human society is preferable to its extinction cannot be supported by evidence. (Just playing devil's advocate). Again, I don't disagree with the point—simply that no worldview, whether Christian, utilitarian, or anything else can lay claim to an identity that doesn't require a priori claims. Even the claim that only that which can be proven empirically is trustworthy rests on the a priori claim that empirical evidence is trustworthy.

Thanks for the kind words. As for my perspective on worth—my day job is as a worship leader. Worship = worth-ship, and so God's intrinsic worth is at the heart of everything I do and think about in that role. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in this conversation too, and I'm happy to try to offer my (limited) perspective on your questions:

- What distinguishes God the Father from God the Son? You just had to start with Trinitarian doctrine, which would make anybody's head spin, didn't you? :-P I would start with the Christian assertion that Jesus is the full revelation of God, and that God the Father and God the Son (as well as the Holy Spirit) are all equally and completely God, but all distinct one from the other. Yes, it is a paradox. Most creeds acknowledge that it can be comprehended only by faith and not by logic, and I tend to agree. I have some helpful examples if you want, but they all break down eventually. The answer for where the persons of the Trinity converge and where they differ is way over my head.

But to the heart of your question: does Jesus actually show Himself as more loving than God the Father? Jesus talks about hell more than anyone else in the Bible. Likewise, Yahweh exercises an absurd amount of patience and mercy to the people of Israel in the Old Testament. As I see it, the overall Biblical witness presents both God the Father and Jesus as a perfect picture of holiness, justice, and mercy coexisting. It's hard to address this in more detail because it's really a big picture question and a big picture answer, but if you are wondering about anything in particular, let me know.

- To your second point: I agree that neither Pascal's wager, nor any other logical argument, can prove the existence of the Christian, triune God. However, I'd go a step further and say nothing can be proven, period. See my above comment about the a priori belief in the validity of empirical evidence. However, I would say that there's some pretty compelling evidence for the resurrection of Christ, which stands as a pretty compelling vindication of His claims about Himself. But ultimately, the only proof that any Christian has of the existence of God as we know Him is the new life we have in Him, and unfortunately, that is only something that can be experienced, not described.

- You are correct that we haven't addressed Christianity's superiority as a moral basis. My main point, thus far, is that it is no more inferior than any other basis for morality. I think that's a necessary starting point, based on where the conversation was, before one then moves on to the question of, "What then should I believe?"

- I'm confused by your last point, so I'm probably misunderstanding what you're saying. Are you saying that because Christianity's claims about God's existence cannot be independently verified, it will not be an effective means of promoting human flourishing? Or that the means by which Christianity goes about seeking human flourishing is ineffective? I'm going to hold off on addressing this point until I understand better what you're getting at.

2017-04-20 19:22:48

Getting back to Pascal for just a bit, there was something else he noted that is worth mentioning if we're going to touch the subject of morality and righteousness, a simple statement that kind of brought me to the full realization of who God has to be in order for any kind of good to prevail.  Justice without strength is powerless, strength without justice tyranical.  There has to be a complete balance to such an individual in order for him to even be considered a loving god worthy of worship, love, respect, even flat out consideration!  He needs to be strong to keep justice strong, and he needs to be just to keep the actions of his strength just.  Observing the God of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy from a distance, I must admit, does not present that picture.  It further complicates things if you're doing it with skepticism written all over... I would know.  I can't fault anyone for such a thing, since I myself was once responsible for it.
I too wish to thank everyone who hasn't completely blown me out of proportion and assumed me hateful or biggoted, as that is honestly more heartbreaking to me in many senses than being considered bereft of reason, given that I'm doing my best to love my neighbors as myself, if not better than myself.  Yes, awkward as that may seem, I love you all!  :d

2017-04-20 19:55:34

@Daigonite, I am not religious myself either, or at least not other than in the personal sense.
I was bought up a Christian, but with an emphasis on openmindedness etc.

"morals" or "morality" if you study it as a subject stands apart from Christianity or religion since it simply reflects on human conduct and can cover everything from the practice of science, the foundations of laws  the rightness of corporal punishment.

One problem with going too far down the "no universal morals, everything relative" path is then you ultimately end up in a situation where there is no overbearing force upon moral action other than force itself.
jack the ripper wants to murder people because he enjoys it, so he does because he can.
Other people don't like jack the ripper doing murders so they get together and linch him and there are more of them than there are of him murder is wrong and bye bye jack.

this is actually the rather unpleasant situation posited by Fredrich Nietche, that morality essentially comes from the weak collectively exerting force ove r the strong.

this also leads to the disturbing social Darwinist implications, since if the majority of people  decide cannibalism is good for society, well it doesn't matter if the minority object since the majority, and therefore those with might on their side have spoken, end of story!

I would also be very careful with throwing around scientific principles such as "evidence"
If you study the problem of induction or experimental regress will learn that science itself is essentially a set of assumptions based on other assumptions. Yes, probably the best assumptions we can make at the time, but unofortunately just that.

this is one reason why science will never negate personal religious experience since there are people who have experienced the presence of god, but nobody has experienced the presence of an electron, and it is only faith in the previously occurring scientific theory and that the effects of the experiment show that electrons exist after all, where as for those people who ahave a true connection to God that connection is something personally felt.

This is equally not to say we should all go around doubting the existence of the electrons running through our computers who's negative and positive charges make up this forum, just a note that the likes of Richard Dorkins who admire the almighty scientists for dispensing truth and hate the nasty silly religious people for dispensing lies are waaaay off the mark.
Indeed philosophers I know tend to be agnostics for this reason.

Myself I am not convinced the existence of god is something that one can prove logically, it's something that one experiences directly.

Joseph, I am afraid this is probably where we disagree. Since rather like Bishop spong did, while I do that the writers of the bible did! have a sense of divinity, I tend to believe that it is a set of historical documents written with the understanding and morality of the time that said divine revelation was interpreted by the writers of the bible with the views they had.
The idea of punitive justice and sacrifice was very much around at that point in history,  it is part  of Jewish ethics.

Likewise there is at least some evidence that some of the gospel writers had rather  audiences, for example Spong that John was writing primarily for Jews who had been directly condemned by the jewish authorities of the time, were being denounced in sinagogs as unclean, were thus looking for comfort and the knolidge that God wasn't going to reject them.

Of course this sort of interpretation and understanding of the bible is not compatible with the idea that literally every word is absolutely true, indeed that was the theme of spong's book.

I was never myself bought up with that sort of dogmatic belief, indeed most Christians in Britain don't tend to hold as much, so it isn't particularly important for me, I can quite accept the idea of the Bible as divinely enspired (indeed perhaps not the only divine revelation in the worlds' history), but don't need it to be literally word for word true.

Btw this isn't again intended as an attack, just a sharing of beliefs, though given where this conversation is headed we might be coming to hume's statement "I can reason no longer with him", ie, it's gone beyond a point where moral dialogue is possible since the underlying assumptions are no longer compatible enough for furtile discourse.

2017-04-20 20:14:21

Dark, no attack perceived at all. You're right that the idea of norms is probably where you and I differ—I see Scripture as normative, you seem to see human experience and reason as normative. That's essentially the difference between what would usually be termed "conservative" and "liberal" theology and accounts for why there's such a wide spectrum of ideas between the two. Personally, I am convinced that the Bible, while written through unique authors with unique perspectives, is also the direct result of God's sovereignty and represents His infallible revelation. I tend to differ with some of my more conservative brothers about how exactly we interpret what that means, as far as case-by-case interpretation of different texts, because again there's a very wide range of positions on these things. But ultimately it is Scripture, interpreted as consistently and carefully as possible, that I use as the norm which constrains the rest of my theology. Everybody has to have some sort of starting point—the Word is mine. But I understand that someone who has a different starting point will inevitably come to different conclusions.

Oh, and I agree whole-heartedly that the existence of God cannot be proven logically, and must be experienced personally. How we understand and interpret that experience is the question.

(Hooray for continued, civil discourse about religion. Is this the first time this has ever happened on the internet?!)

2017-04-20 21:13:32

If it's happened anywhere else, I've not seen it, even on so-called Christian forums.

2017-04-20 22:26:30

Lol I think that will please Mrs. Dark.

As someone who is very much a Christian herself, one of her major problems with the narrow minded ultra conservative "agree with us or burn in hell" variety of Christians, sadly some of whom she grew up with, is that they give all! Christians a bad name, especially in public forums.

Well Joseph I was certainly bought up in a more liberal tradition as far as interpretation and hard lines on things like sin go, though interestingly enough in terms of Liturgy and actual church ritual mine was probably more conservativethe figurative sense since Church of England tends to be closer to Catholicism in terms of priests wearing formal robes, old fashioned Victorian hymns, candles, insense ritual sung responses etc.
I'm even told there are still Anglican churches that practice a latin mass, though I never did.

That being said, my interest has always been more with meditation, interpretation and the idea that a relationship with god is something you do! not something you are told, indeed one thing I liked about Spong's book is despite the fact he is against the idea of literal biblical interpretation (the title of his book was after all rescuing the bible from fundamentalism), he didn't just bash for the sake of bashing but also mentioned the ways the could! be interpretated and meditated upon.

Indeed I found some of his historical assertions actually increased my respect for the bible, such as his detailing the fact that a lot of the Jewish laws were attempts at very ethical philosophy by which even the nation's king could be held accountable to god, and a way of understanding the individual as responsible for his/her own actions rather than, ---- as was more commonly thought of at the time, simply a part of the tribe or people.

actually my lady and I have been reading the gospels recently, which is an experience I've enjoyed.

the last thing though when we're talking about biblical interpretation, is that I personally wouldn't call myself a Christian and haven't for years.
At one time I called myself a "universalist" since I believed there were various divine revelations of god and I personally found I could know god through various sorces, not uniquely the bible or Christian teachings alone.

reading Writings and discussions with people of different  faiths and traditions from Muslims to buhdists, even through studying biochemistry and physics and understanding  intricacies of the universe itself.
I used to call myself a universalist, however I don't think that is a term I'd use now since it runs dangerously close to the empty path of total relativism, as I certainly do not! think that just because there are various revelations of god or paths to find the divine anything any tom dick or harry says about god is true.

Then of course I went through my semi agnostic ultra synical phase where I was no longer certain of god's relevance or benevolence.

these days I am not sure what the hell I'd call myself.
I am certainly happy reading and discussing the bible and worshipping in Christian form, but if you asked me if Jesus was my "personal saviour" or a similar question I would probably answer no.

That I have experienced divine grace I don't doubt, i'm reminded of that each morning when I wake up and by some sort of miracle find I have a wife who loves me, something I thought literally impossible.

these days I would just say I believe god exists, I try to listen to or experience god, and I try to be nice to people :d.

Oh and I ramble on about my opinions, I do that sort of a lot as you might have noticed. big_smile.

2017-04-21 00:23:49

Okay, so most of this is way over my head at this point and represents a level of learnedness far beyond what I could ever aspire to achieve, so I have to mostly bow out at this point. but first:
@Andi93, while I do not wish to adversely alter the course of the topic at this point, I actually posted (directed at you) a few times on page 9 pertaining to homosexuality in nonhuman species. Suffice it to say that every! species that has been studied (thousands of them) has demonstrated that some portion of it is homosexual. Homosexuality is not! an exclusively human phenomenon. In fact it is quite to the contrary, as natural as sexuality itself.
I hope you'll consider going back to page 9 and answering the question that I specifically addressed to you -- not for my benefit, but for your own enlightenment -- and because I'm cureous to know what your view on it would be.
To summarize:
Why does God create sertain groups of people for the soul purpose of damning them to a life of condemnation (being "wrong"), and subjecting himself to the torment of their existence? Many people would call that "sadomasochism", which is contrary to love, patience and compassion.
If Jo Blow is wrong to be gay, then why did god make poor MR. Blow's brain work in a slightly different way such that he was born with same sex attractions? That's like saying that being blind is wrong -- unfortunate, but not "wrong" or "sinfull" -- when none of us have any say in the matter because, disabled animals and insects are born in the jungle too.
I'd be happy to take this to PM if you prefer, because at this point it's more for my own curiosity and probably to the detriment of the topic, but I just can't except a hypothetical god who would create someone just so that the rest of his creations can condemn them for how their creater created them.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2017-04-21 00:24:36

*sniff sniff sniff* Well, I'm the real Slender, and somebody sure made me a lot more logical than I really am. tongue Anyway, to add to this, in no particular order, I myself was born around Islam, which has similar ideas to Christianity. Sadly, I couldn't add a whole lot to this as I have pretty much abandoned Islam, but I've noticed that Islam and Christianity definitely have similar views. I think the Profit Muhammad is sort of the Islamic version of Jesus in some ways, and they generally have similar concepts and views. As for the question of God, at this point, religiously, I am sort of in limbo. At this point, God, at least in the form he is often described here, does not really exist to me. Sometimes I will think about whether there possibly is a higher being, but it is nothing I feel the need to devote countless hours of Quran reading to understand. I generally object to having blind faith in religious texts, however, because I believe that the interpretations of them can easily be twisted and shaped to what the reader wants you to believe. I actually still see religion as quite interesting, and worth studying, as to me, it offers a glimpse in to the human psyche. However I do not view religion as something I would like to practice.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-04-21 01:45:02

fun times, Dark.  I sincerely appreciate the straightforwardness and honesty concerning your perspective on God and such.  This is part of the beauty and terror of free will from where I'm standing, and it places so many of those of us who care collectively about humanity as a whole in somewhat of a bind.  We can't be forceful, but our beliefs give us an urgency.  We don't want to shove Christianity down anyone's throat, but as I've stated before, we feel compeled to share the joy, the peace and all around experience.
If I may, I'd like to share two stories with everyone on this forum and reading this topic.  Once again, I'd like to stress that I don't take offense if you decide to ignore all of this and perceive it as utter garbage; you're entitled to that and more than welcome to dismiss it as such.  One of these stories is personal; the other is simply one that touched me immensely but which I feel is just as important.
Story 1.  The impersonal, but nonetheless important.
Marcel Sternberger was a methodical man of nearly 50, with bushy white hair, guileless brown eyes, and the bouncing enthusiasm of a czardas dancer of his native Hungary. He always took the 9:09 Long Island Railroad train from his suburban home to Woodside, N.Y.., where he caught a subway into the city.
On the morning of January 10, 1948, Sternberger boarded the 9:09 as usual. En route, he suddenly decided to visit Laszlo Victor, a Hungarian friend who lived in Brooklyn and was ill.
Accordingly, at Ozone Park, Sternberger changed to the subway for Brooklyn, went to his friend’s house, and stayed until midafternoon. He then boarded a Manhattan-bound subway for his Fifth Avenue office.
"The car was crowded, and there seemed to be no chance of a seat. But just as I entered, a man sitting by the door suddenly jumped up to leave, and I slipped into the empty place. I’ve been living in New York long enough not to start conversations with strangers. But being a photographer, I have the peculiar habit of analyzing people’s faces, and I was struck by the features of the passenger on my left. He was probably in his late 30s, and when he glanced up, his eyes seemed to have a hurt expression in them. He was reading a Hungarian-language newspaper, and something prompted me to say in Hungarian, “I hope you don’t mind if I glance at your paper.”
The man seemed surprised to be addressed in his native language. But he answered politely, “You may read it now. I’ll have time later on.”
During the half-hour ride to town, we had quite a conversation. He said his name was Bela Paskin. A law student when World War II started, he had been put into a German labor battalion and sent to the Ukraine. Later he was captured by the Russians and put to work burying the German dead. After the war, he covered hundreds of miles on foot until he reached his home in Debrecen, a large city in eastern Hungary.
I myself knew Debrecen quite well, and we talked about it for a while. Then he told me the rest of his story. When he went to the apartment once occupied by his father, mother, brothers and sisters, he found strangers living there. Then he went upstairs to the apartment that he and his wife once had. It also was occupied by strangers. None of them had ever heard of his family.
As he was leaving, full of sadness, a boy ran after him, calling “Paskin bacsi! Paskin bacsi!” That means “Uncle Paskin.” The child was the son of some old neighbors of his. He went to the boy’s home and talked to his parents. “Your whole family is dead,” they told him. “The Nazis took them and your wife to Auschwitz.”
Auschwitz was one of the worst Nazi concentration camps. Paskin gave up all hope. A few days later, too heartsick to remain any longer in Hungary, he set out again on foot, stealing across border after border until he reached Paris. He managed to immigrate to the United States in October 1947, just three months before I met him.
All the time he had been talking, I kept thinking that somehow his story seemed familiar. A young woman whom I had met recently at the home of friends had also been from Debrecen; she had been sent to Auschwitz; from there she had been transferred to work in a German munitions factory. Her relatives had been killed in the gas chambers. Later she was liberated by the Americans and was brought here in the first boatload of displaced persons in 1946.
Later, she was liberated by the Americans and was brought here in the first boatload of displaced persons in 1946.
Her story had moved me so much that I had written down her address and phone number, intending to invite her to meet my family and thus help relieve the terrible emptiness in her life.
It seemed impossible that there could be any connection between these two people, but as I neared my station, I fumbled anxiously in my address book. I asked in what I hoped was a casual voice, “Was your wife’s name Marya?”
He turned pale. “Yes!” he answered. “How did you know?”
He looked as if he were about to faint.
I said, “Let’s get off the train.” I took him by the arm at the next station and led him to a phone booth. He stood there like a man in a trance while I dialed her phone number.
It seemed hours before Marya Paskin answered. (Later I learned her room was alongside the telephone, but she was in the habit of never answering it because she had so few friends and the calls were always for someone else. This time, however, there was no one else at home and, after letting it ring for a while, she responded.)
When I heard her voice at last, I told her who I was and asked her to describe her husband. She seemed surprised at the question, but gave me a description. Then I asked her where she had lived in Debrecen, and she told me the address.
Asking her to hold the line, I turned to Paskin and said, “Did you and your wife live on such-and-such a street?”
“Yes!” Bela exclaimed. He was white as a sheet and trembling.
“Try to be calm,” I urged him. “Something miraculous is about to happen to you. Here, take this telephone and talk to your wife!”
He nodded his head in mute bewilderment, his eyes bright with tears. He took the receiver, listened a moment to his wife’s voice, then suddenly cried, “This is Bela! This is Bela!” and he began to mumble hysterically. Seeing that the poor fellow was so excited he couldn’t talk coherently, I took the receiver from his shaking hands.
“Stay where you are,” I told Marya, who also sounded hysterical. “I am sending your husband to you. We will be there in a few minutes.”
Bela was crying like a baby and saying over and over again. “It is my wife. I go to my wife!”
Story 2.  From my personal experience.
My wife and I and two of our children, the third not having yet been born, lived in an apartment complex a little over a year ago.  The place was not exactly the greatest, but not the worst, either.  Suffice it to say that we had everything we both wanted and needed.  One of the things we had which we cherished above everything else we owned which was physical and material was a braille bible in 36 paperback volumes, given that we still value braille as a form of reading, and the scriptures more than life.  It had a special place in our walk-in closet, where it sat upon something that we joked, practically resembled a bookshelf, even though the truth is that it wasn't covered by anything or protected from anything, not even occasional dustbunnies.
On January 26, 2016, we decided to take a nap as my wife was in pain owing to an enlarged liver, sometime around 3 that afternoon.  Thankfully, my mother-in-law was there and willingly took care of the baby while I did my best to comfort my wife and make sure she had anything she needed.  We fell asleep at some point and were woken up to find our house flooding, thanks to a broken pipe upon the third floor.  the people upstairs had gone to work and left their dish washer running, but had no way of knowing that particular pipe would burst on that day.  the water traveled from their apartment down through the second floor and thoroughly drenched that apartment, but the torrent continued making its way in and eventually started leaking in massive amounts through their floor, our roof, most noticeably, in our closet.
We lost tons of clothes and other belongings that day, ranging from toys we had just bought as Christmas presents for the children, to pieces of audio and computer equipment, to our bed.  The pastor of our church and his entire family came over before we all left and helped us throw tarps and the most protection we could find over everything, but there was just no getting around the fact that eventually the water was going to cover every inch of the place once called home.  Dripping wet, the pastor's daughters and my mother-in-law went back and forth between the closet and her van, trying to salvage as much as they possibly could.
All of that to say this: the one thing we should have and could have lost we did not; to this day, that bible stands as a testimony of everything of great importance we have ever had which is material, not damaged by a single drop of water, practically immaculate save for where it has been.  Every time I find myself reading it I'm reminded of the words of Malcom Muggeridge in the 80's, "We look back upon history and what do we see?
Empires rising and falling, revolutions and counterrevolutions, wealth accumulating and and then disbursed, one nation dominant and then another. Shakespeare speaks of the “rise and fall of great ones that ebb and flow with the moon.”
In one lifetime I have seen my own  countrymen ruling over a quarter of the world, the great majority of them convinced, in the words of what is still a favorite song, that “God who’s made them mighty would make them mightier yet.”
I’ve heard a crazed, cracked Austrian proclaim to the world the establishment of a German Reich that would last for a thousand years; an Italian clown announce he would restart the calendar to begin with his own assumption of power; a murderous Georgian brigand in the Kremlin acclaimed by the intellectual elite of the western world as wiser than Solomon, more enlightened than Asoka, more humane than Marcus Aurelius.
I’ve seen America wealthier and in terms of military weaponry more powerful than all the rest of the world put together, so that Americans, had they so wished, could have outdone an Alexander or a Julius Caesar in the range and scale of their conquests.
All in one little lifetime. All gone with the wind.
England now part of an island off the coast of Europe and threatened with dismemberment and even bankruptcy.
Hitler and Mussolini dead and remembered only in infamy.
Stalin a forbidden name in the regime he helped to found and dominate for some three decades.
America haunted by fears of running out of the precious fluid that keeps the motorways roaring and the smog settling, with troubled memories of a disastrous campaign in Vietnam and of the great victories of the Don Quixotes of the media when they charged the windmills of Watergate. All in one lifetime, all in one lifetime, all gone. Gone with the wind."
but after thousands of years we still have Christ, or, to put it as Ravi Zacharias does when he quotes these words, "Behind the debris of these solemn supermen, and self-styled imperial diplomatists, there stands the gigantic figure of one, because of whom, by whom, in whom and through whom alone, mankind may still have peace: The person of Jesus Christ. I present him as the way, the truth, and the life."  This is what he himself presented himself as in John 14:6, leaving, as far as those of us who have taken Christ seriously are concerned, no other way to interpret such an audacious statement, and wondering, if after the rise and fall of empires, after the many revolutions and collapses of kingdoms and nations and ideals, the one that people have pontificated for this long could possibly hold any grain of truth in it.  Those of us who have accepted Christ are ready to stand as the greatest evidence to God's existence, a testament to all he can do and all he has done.  If nothing else, my bible, to me, is a symbol of the greatest conviction I've ever carried and wished to present to everyone.
I'd like to, if I still have your attention this far down, conclude with some hopefully humbly asked questions: was it chance that made Marcel Sternberger suddenly decide to visit his sick friend and hence take a subway line that he had never ridden before? Was it chance that caused the man sitting by the door of the car to rush out just as Sternberger came in? Was it chance that caused Bela Paskin to be sitting beside Sternberger, reading a Hungarian newspaper?  Was it chance that on January 26 of 2016 my mother-in-law, who would have been gone long before our house began to flood, decided to stay just a little longer and, may have possibly saved our very lives?  Was it chance that of everything we could have lost we didn't lose even one of 36 volumes of something we've taken literally from the moment we accepted Christ?  Was it chance that two wonderful members of this forum were willing to give us just enough money to aford a deposit on an apartment, chance that that apartment complex did not work and that we now have a beautiful little house donated to us by a woman who couldn't bear to live in it after her husband died, chance that I'm sitting here writing all of this today?  Was it chance, or was it God?  You, wonderful readers, get to decide.

2017-04-21 02:07:41

@Slender:

Glad to be of service tongue I woke my house up laughing at your post,....so thanks a lot. Now gotta explain what's so funny.

As for the topic itself....personally, I believe in a higher power, yet my religion gets condemned by hardline Christians and I regularly get told I'm going to hell by Jehovah's Witnesses. for various things...
@Nocturnus:

Where do you draw the line between shoving a belief down somebody's throat, and sharing the joy of believing? Again, it's all about perspective and opinion, personally I dislike....say...a Jehovah banging on my door and handing out flyers and wanting to read psalms to me, that to me, is trying to shove their religious views down my throat, but from their perspective, they are sharing the joy or doing God's work, neither side is right, or wrong for one simple reason....

Nobody knows what is truly right or wrong.

Something else I wanna bring up is that hardliners/fundementalists/extremists of all faiths tarnish the quiet, anonymous members of those faits. I forgot who made the anonymous Christians comment, but for every one of those, there's people like the WBC saying they are doing God's work, doing what Jesus wants, etc, and doing some truly awful things in the name of their religion, then hiding behind that religion to escape punishment or judgement.

That puts the average, everyday religious person in a bad light if people rightly, or wrongly asssume, for instance, every Christian is like the WBC, or every Muslim is a fundementalist, becaus that's what the media is spoutin. Which is another maassive, massive can of worms really.....

Point is.....the hardline religious people ruin it for the rest of the everyday average religious folk who just want to get on with their lives.

Draco

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2017-04-21 03:20:17

I'm going to share two things here, and at least some folks will probably be tempted to reflexively take a swing. Do try and resist the urge until you've processed. The first is an example of why I, personally, am turned off from most shall we say traditional ideas of Christianity, and the second is my opinion in general on this whole higher power thing (note: not religion, because you don't need religion to believe in a higher power - as one of my ex-girlfriends was more than happy to explain to me one night after we'd had a couple drinks).

Thing the first. I don't recall exactly where we were coming from, but this same ex-girlfriend (the non-religious one with the belief in a higher power) and I were going back to her place. It wasn't insanely late, but late enough, I think. This woman we'd never met before stops us on the sidewalk to ask us if we know how to get to this particular church. Now, I wouldn't know my way around that particular city if my life depended on it, but my ex had been there for years (still is, as far as I know). So I figure okay, this lady's probably new here and needs a pointer. If either of us would have a vague idea where in the hell she ought to be going, my ex would. She didn't, and she told this lady as much. Lady turns around and says, "Well, it's over this way and we have services in an hour if you're interested". The ex and I just looked at each other and must have looked like a couple deer caught in the headlights, but I think all we said was "Okay", at which point she went her way and we went ours. It's things like that that make me question exactly how close I want to be to the church. And I decided a long time ago that, uh, not that close.

Thing the second. The rough summarization of my opinion on all things divine approximately boils down to this. Doesn't matter, don't care. Now, before someone starts to brandishing the bible at me, let me explain. If you believe in a higher power, whether you call it God, or Ala, or the flying spaghetti monster, it doesn't matter whether or not that higher power exists. You believe it exists, therefore, it exists. If you don't believe that higher power exists, you very probably don't care. Not in general, but in the particular - about what that higher power's opinion may or may not be on your life choices. You've got your own things to deal with.

The true fact of the matter is this. The folks who believe there is a god may or may not be exactly right. Or they may be the walking, talking, preaching personification of completely and undeniably wrong. They don't know. Moreover, we don't know. The only one who knows for sure is God, and if he's out there, he's not talking. Everyone else, from the Pope on down, is just guessing. And we're not going to find out if we guessed correctly or not until we're long dead and gone, which - in my case, at least - I hope is still a great many years down the road. Since none of us is there yet, all we can do is live our lives, in whatever shape and form those lives take. And if in the process some of us are well on our way to hell, at least we'll have a couple politicians holding the door for us.

2017-04-21 03:34:30

@Nocturnus:
I once had a profound miraculous, almost stranger-than-fiction encounter with someone under circumstances bazaar enough to strongly suggest the plausibility of a divine intervention. Not as miraculous as bela's story, but probably miraculous enough to be in the realm of once in a lifetime. Suffice it to say it strengthened my faith in a spirit world, perhaps divine beings -- just not in a universal one.
My theory is that when we pass on to the afterlife, or the "next" life, that perhaps we are granted a little bit of clout to orchestrate events in the lives of those on earth who meant the most to us. So perhaps we all become "gods", with some amount of jurisdiction over those we touched or were touched by.
Therefore, it is my theory that Bela's family, in whatever realm or form they now exist following life on earth, orchestrated the events which ultimately lead up to the reunion with his wife -- perhaps with the assistance of a "god", perhaps as "gods" themselves, or perhaps just as spirits of another world with the power to grant a wish for the person most important to them back in the land of the living.
By the way, that isn't something I read, it isn't something a preacher converted me to, it's just the conclusions I've drawn from the nature of my own divine/spiritual experiences. I don't know if there is a mainstream term for someone who believes that their god is someone who lived alongside them just a few short years ago, but I think it's just as plausible as any religious text -- and by that logic, Jesus Christ was probably somebody's divine angel, Mohammad was somebody elses, etc etc, and my dear friend Millie is mine, who's soul departed from this world on April 24, 2003 (may she rest in pease).
If it wasn't 9:30 on the night before an exam I'd have probably posted the personal story to which I made reference above, and may do so later if anyone is interested.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2017-04-21 04:14:42

@Trajectory, thank you very much for reading; I respect your belief even if I myself cannot hold to it and accept it with that same respect.
@quanin, I think it actually takes a bit more faith to go on believing as you do in some senses, since those who do truly believe in a higher power bask in the comfort of conviction rather than in notion or contemplation or even guesswork, as you might think of it.  Being convinced is the difference here, the one between you and I.  You guess at what you perceive as truth, where as I'm convinced without doubt that what I believe is true.  Having been on the other side of the coin, I can honestly say and must concede that, unless you have been numbed to not caring, possibly by people who are disrespectful or whatever other means might have numbed you, you will secretly go on looking for truth or will fearfully live in wonder if anything you've heard in the past might hold any grain of truth in it.  If you have overcome everything I've just pointed out above, my hat goes or would go offf to you if I had one to take off, as you would be one of the most fearless people I know, period.  Regardless, as I have no hat and cannot physically display jjust how much I do respect your stance, have yerself a thumbs up.

2017-04-21 04:15:38

Ehh, karma system is gone, so no thumbs up.  lol

2017-04-21 04:54:35

@Nocturnus: likewise.
Just out of curiosity, what is your theory on why one person (such as Bela) was granted such a profound miracle by the hand of god, but just a few short years prier Hitler was permitted to exterminate approx. six million jews, none of whom were shown even a fragment of the kindness shown to this one man and his wife?
While it's true that he faced more than enough calamity to be more than deserving of some divine compensation, what made his parents and so many millions of other people less deserving than he was? and what about all the children who either died or were orphaned during that period, perhaps too young to understand God or what was going on in the world to cause there to be no one to hold them when they cried?
Are we perhaps just puppets and it's all a game?

2017-04-21 05:12:45 (edited by Andy93 2017-04-21 05:15:58)

OK guys, it really really takes me a good time to read posts since now I actually have a job and have to look back at this time in the evening. So, I know that what I'm gonna say right now can be my deffinet ticket without return out of this place into banland, however let me start.
@dark: Paul, apostle of Jesus Christ wrote: For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves. Romans 1 20 to 24.
Also, starting from verse 26, he wrote: For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
Question: is all of this offensive to you? or to the community? We've clearly seen in verses 26 and 27 that Paul, inspired by the holy spirit,  repeats twice very enfaticly the words "natural use" and "against nature". SO again I ask: does this results offensive and quite hateful? if so, then what: are you gonna ban the word of God? oh wayt! I forgot that the bible is being banned almost everywhere in this world, do to the fact that most people is turning their back against the living God.
So if I'm gonna get removed out of here permanently by constantly repeating that homosexuality goes against nature and in other words is wrong, wel: Its not me whose saying that, but God in his word. And I do not find another way of saying it, simply because Jesus himself  during his 3 years of ministry always spoke the truth and his words  not always were plesent to most people, but instead offended so many to the point that some of his disciples stopped following him as Jonh states in his gospel; instead  offended so many that, even though one day people was shouting Hosanna and throwing palms at Jerusalem, the day of his crusifiction he was left alone.
Of course I'm not saying that we must treat people like if they wer the worst junk of this world, because that's not what God commanded us to do, like what the anti biblical westboro baptist church does. I always put them as an example because what they're doing is not right, God commanded us to preach that God loves you and me, not that he hates us.
So, back to my  answer to dark, again I have stated to many times that I, as well as God, do not hate homosexual individuals, but instead hate the sin of homosexuality whitch goes against nature, (Romans chapter 1 26 27). If again, saying and preaching this disqualifies me from taking part in this community, excuse me but I am never not only gonna change my point of view, but also I am not gonna change the way of saying things. I'm just calling things as they are, so if I am a theif I cannot try to justify myself saing that I steal because I'm starving, I am a thief and that's it. Everyone of us have the potential of knowing what's good and what's bad, the difference is that those of us who one day accepted God's kingdom in our lifes are commited to avoid doing wrong and start doing what's right.
After this extensive defence, I take my time to answer trajectory's question. Se trajectory, the big problem with us humans is that always try to give an answer to absolutely every wrong thing, look at my example about the thief. In my country, for example, and in many others here in South America, we often hear things in the media like: Most yong people is getting involved into gangs because of the lack of opportunities, finding is as a way to survive and escape poverty. And, although that part is right, we hear that these guys enroll themselves in these gangs and commit multiple chrimes to feed their family, for example. So then why don't they find themselves a job if they decided to quit school, for example?
This pattern repeats over and over again: so all of a sudden a lot of "studies" come up showing that many species inhabiting this plannet are homosexual because of their genetics so the same applies to men, meaning that it is a natural cause; If we go back to the gang example, it is very common to hear in thes subdeveloped countries: poor kids, nowadays its very normal that they get into these criminal groups because they have a responsability from an early age, but what else we can do. And we start to view all these things as something normal and then try to give answers to the current problematic.
So, answering your question of: Why does God create sertain groups of people for the soul purpose of damning them to a life of condemnation (being "wrong"), and subjecting himself to the torment of their existence? OK, man, I'd like to start by saying that, no matter what the "science" tries to show us, no living creature in this plannet was created homosexual. I reppeat, not a single creature in this planet was created homosexual; or tell me, why is there male and female in all species? why not sertain groups of creatures were created as only male or only female? the simple answer is, because the creation has an order and a natural purpoce.
So deffinetly nothing was created by God like that, no matter how much studies you can show; so here's the second part of the question: why does he created all of this for the soul purpose of damning it for condemnation? and again the answer is, he didn't created everything with that purpose in mind. In afct, I'd like to tell you that you and me were created to have eternal life and not die, as we were made in God's image.
But, since God gave free will to men as well as to the angels, one day he decided to hear a fallen angel's voice and then, took of the fruit that was forbidden to him. And because of the first man's disobedience, death entered this world being passed to every one of us, as well as to any living creature. So everything got corrupted an cursed because of the first man's disobedience.
do you imagine what happens if God have allowed us to still living eternally? just think about living in today's messed up world forever, with evil people doing and un doing! so God in his eternal power and omniscience had to make things work different, giving all mankind 2 ways: one that leads him to eternal death and condemnation, the other one leading him to a plesent, eternal life. That way was opened for everybody through Jesus Christ, who not only defeated death but also was the perfect sacrifice for our sins, since he himself never sinned as stated in hebrews.
Therefore, friend, being homosexual is a choice you make, not something you are born with. This is the same as if you decide to become a killer, a thief, a worshipper of darkness, or a person whose completely not doing wickedness but instead going in the way of life and justice. 7 years ago I made the decision of becoming a christian, as I sure 7 years ago somebody made the choise of becoming a burgler. The difference between he and me, is that he decided to go twards the darkness, I decided to go twards the light and the peas with the complete satisfaction that I can rest asured that nothing's gonna happen to me, or if something indeed happens, I know he's my Lord and he's with me for the centuries until the centuries.
With these words, I end up this long post

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. he gives to the human being complete joy and happyness. Why don't you receive him today?