2017-04-19 18:02:58

Slender you're absolutely right, and I hope my post didn't come off as presumptuous or condemnatory. It's just I feel it's possible to be Christian as I am without looking for everything wrong with everyone and trying to play God - isn't Christianity supposed to bring you joy and happiness?
@Trajectory the thing is, according to what I've been taught, sin was created. Sin is how things were created. However, Jesus died for that sin, and now we don't have to worry about it. As for those questions, you know what, you're right. I can't tell you why God allowed the existence of sin, other than the fact that he wanted us all to have free will - do we choose him, or do we not? I am a Christian yes, but even I have questions like that. Why does God allow Satan to continue living, even now? Yes he will destroy him later, but why not now? Why not before? Why does God give us free will, but condemn us if we don't choose him, making it important that we choose him if we wish not to burn in Hell? My theory on this would probably not be accepted by those who are not Christian, and that's fine; I wouldn't spite them or call them wrong. My theory is though that God created us so that he could have creatures to love and to be like him. He allows us to suffer so that we can gain enough faith and experience in him and his ways that when we go to Heaven, we will have a strong and unwavering bond with him that can withstand any and all tribulation, because we know he'll get us through it. Even still, there are aspects I don't have theories for, and the ones I do I'm sure could have holes poked in them by you or anyone else here on this forum, let alone the world. I'm not trying to be right though, I'm only trying to figure out answers to questions I have about my religion. smile

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2017-04-19 18:54:57

Moderation!
@Andy93:

wikctionary wrote:

Noun[edit]
homophobia (countable and uncountable, pluralhomophobias)
1. (derogatory) Fear, dislike or hatred of homosexuals.

I think that is pretty clear.
As far as this forum goes balancing free speech vs not allowing hate mongering, there is no problem people expressing personal feelings or beliefs so long as such beliefs are phrased as beliefs and not as catagorical condemnation.

Eg "I think such and such is wrong", or "I believe such and such is wrong", rather than "such and such is wrong! against nature" etc.

While I understand people have differing perspectives, at the same time if people cannot rspect the differences and perspectives of others and just see their own views as catagorical then I suggest a "discussion!" forum (emphasis on the discuss), is probably not the place they should be.

You have recieved warnings for this sort of thing in the past Andy and I really would rather not be forced to ban you perminantly this time, however if cannot adopt a more reasonable tone that is less offensive to others that might be the consequence.

@slj Your previus comment to Andy about him being gay himself getting rather close to being personal, since in the context of the beliefs expressed by Andy it would be taken as an insult.
Please try to remain general on the subject in future.

As I said, this is an immotive subject, and I'm actually pleased that people are for the most part treating it in an adult manner, however lets continue that way.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-19 19:14:21

@Dark: I disagree with that wikitionary plural, I have never seen homophobias as a plural, homophobia, sure, but homophobias? That's a strange one....

Anyhow, @226: IMO it's a good thing to be any faith and have questions, such as the ones youj posed or I posed or anyone posed, iwe just accept things for what they are and claim it's what <insert diety here> wants, then those people are as ignorant as the people they criticize.

Like I said on another page, I love the idea of religion, I simply dislike how it is used.

IMHO:

Satan is used as a boogeyman of sorts to some denominations, in essence 'DO THIS OR SATAN WILL DO X Y AND Z AND YOU ARE NOT FAITHFUL ENOUGH TO JESUS' attitudes. Again, that's only some denominations, not all Christians. I know Christians I can joke with and have a good laugh with and discuss things like books, TV shows and games, and they don't start blasting those things for not praising a deity every second like some do. I have to wonder about those types, are they truly happy blasting (say) a movie for not being 100% religious 100%of the time? That'd be a very, VERY niche movie.

I agree, I ran across this quote earlier and it both made me choke laughing on my water, and is very, very apt.

Religions are like penises. You have one, you keep it hidden and don't whip it out whenever you feel like it.

That's probably the best description I've come across in a while. That being said, I feel there's absolutely some individual churches out there who take the idea of Christianity and twist it to fit their ideals and version of what they think Christianity should be, just as Islamic imams do with the Qu'ran, or rabbis do with the Torah. End of the day nobody currently alive knows what the truth of any of the books mean.

For all the media frenzy over Muslim terrorists citing their holy book as justification for war, that is a problem with all religions, not just one or two however,it does seem in the US Christianity gets a free pass and is exempt from comedy, critique, parody, debate or discussion, depending on where you are and what you're trying to do.

Draco

P.S. Sooner this different account bug is fixed, the better. I'm worried I'm making Slender look logical and smart here rofl

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-04-19 20:08:31

@the dwarfer: while I'm an agnostic, I can actually understand and sympathize with the idea of a god "allowing the existence of sin". After all, life is about trials and tribulations, so to place us at a junction where one path leads to rightiousness and the other to sin is, in my opinion, reasonable and healthy. The point at which it's gone too far is when people are placed in a situation where sin is the only possible path, as would be the case if natural (as in observed in the jungle) sexual variations actually constituted sin. It's not free will at that point, it becomes scripted calamity.
I would resent a hypothetical god who would deal me a hand when he created me, then punish me for that hand, despite giving me no choice in it.
Myself, I pretty much believe in two things:
*The golden rule: treat others as you would like them to treat you. It's simple, and it covers just about every possible transgression in just a few wide-reaching words.
*and a form of "mind your own business", as in why would I waste valuable energy getting bent out of shape over something that doesn't affect me (like who people decide to have intimate interactions with in the privacy of their own homes).
Live and let live.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2017-04-19 21:05:03

Talk about feeling late to a conversation... I'm sure I'd lose my mind if I went back through and tried to read everything because I'd feel the need to respond to so much, so I'll just start where the conversation is now.

Trajectory: where your problem scenario diverges from traditional Christian doctrine is that your problem with a scenario where sin is the only option implies a scenario where sin isn't the only option. Yet in traditional Christian doctrine, all who have not had their lives changed by the power of the Holy Spirit are described as slaves to sin. So in the traditional Christian understanding, sin is the only option for everybody—gay, straight, cis, trans, it doesn't matter. The gospel, then, is about Jesus' mercy to those who are His enemies by nature, and that mercy is not contingent upon our own ability to live lives pleasing to Him prior to His Spirit's work in transforming us.

2017-04-19 21:27:34

@Andy: I'm sorry if you feel offended by my comment. That was not my point.
Have you thought about the following facts: Some people might feel offended or insulted each time you say: It's wrong to be gay, god won't accept this and you post like this is only your words which is the truth and it's all other people who are wrong. You keep saying all that, after people are saying  it's nothing regarding towards religion. It is not me who are saying that people and their sexuality are wrong. This is you.
@Dark: Yep, I should be more generel to the subject in the future, and I'm sorry that I was close to get personal. However, I find it difficult to understand how my previous comment could feel like insult. Andy has clearly said that he's not gay. So I find no reason to repeat what I said. In my opinion, it's much more insulting to keep saying that it's wrong to be gay, god don't accept this and it's only those words which are the truth. My point is: We don't know how many gay people who are reading this. It's not personally insults, but if people feel offended y this, it goes much deeper because of their religion than telling someone that he might be gay because of his strong arguments.
I find it so difficult to understand why some people won't accept other people as they are.
Back to my conclusion, which also might be wrong in some peoples opinions:
We are all different and have different opinions. Shouldn't we just accept that, live our lives as we want, care about our own lives and just move on?
Have an awesome day, and I'm sorry for any kinds of personal attacks or insults I might have caused.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2017-04-19 21:31:44

This is going to be a rambling post, but there is so much in this thread, that I just have to write, and see where it takes me.

Part 1: My Overall View of God
I am Southern, Christian, and politically conservative, a grouping of characteristics that is often looked upon in a negative light by some others in the USA.
But I want to tell you about the God I know.

God is so infinite in his mercy and wisdom, that His love cannot be comprehended by a human mortal. We think of unconditional love, and we still have only a glimmer of an idea, because our minds and souls are not prepared at this point, to fully understand an entity who possesses so much love.
He loved us enough to send His son to die for our sins, and Jesus loved us enough to do it.
He will stand in judgment of every person on this Earth, and we will all be sinners, every single one of us. But because of His grace, we are saved. He will understand our human frailties, and love us all the more, because that's who He is.

So, atheists might ask, why is there war, and cancer, and pain, and suffering?
This is just my opinion, but I believe that God doesn't want Christian zombies. He wants us to follow Him, because we understand in our hearts that it is good to do so. In order to do that, He gives us free will. Man can choose good or evil. Since man chooses a lot of evil, there is an opening for what I call chaotic evil, those random horrible things that happen to innocent people. In my view, God doesn't cast awful things on innocents, but He allows free will for mankind, and because of man's choices, a lot of random bad things happen.
But because God is a loving God, He works it around so that good things can come from the most awful circumstances. Think of Anne Frank, and how her optimism never failed in the midst of Hitler's reign. For some people, suffering only serves to strengthen faith. For others, the observation of someone's strong faith in the face of overwhelming adversity, is what strengthens their own.
God never promises that life on this Earth will be fair. But He does promise an eternity of peace, if we will open our hearts to Him.

As Christians, we are to do our best to be like Jesus, knowing we can never fully realize that potential for perfection, but still trying anyway. And the most important thing about that walk of Christian faith, is to treat others with love.
You don't have to approve of a thing, or like it, but you do have to treat the person you disagree with with respect and love.

For myself, although I was raised Baptist, I came to the conclusion that my relationship with God should be personal, and not dictated by any other human. So as a young adult, I began to read the Bible, and pray, and listen for God's direction. In that silence, the message was loud and clear. LOVE!

I have friends who are gay, straight, bi, agnostic, Christian, all colors of the rainbow, all different perspectives on life and how to live it. Each one is precious to me, and also precious to the God who made us.
And I'll tell you now, the best friend I ever had in this world was gay, and she was a better person than almost anyone else I know. The idea that God would look at her, and judge her on one small dimension, as opposed to the entirety of her person, is a uniquely human (and flawed) construct. God judged her with a compassion so deep, and a wisdom so mighty, that it would probably kill us as mortals to look upon it. We are not capable of that kind of unconditional love, and that's why we need to leave the judgment to Him.

Part 2: On Homosexuality Specifically
Now, jump to the 21st century.
Maybe homosexuality is a big deal to some humans.
But let's think of it in terms of sin for a second.
And let me emphasize, God loves every human on this Earth. He hates the sin, but not the sinner.
So for the sake of my point, let's say that the Bible declares homosexual acts to be sins.
In that case, God dislikes the ACTS, not the people.
He also hates the acts of gossip, pride, envy, greed, lust, and a host of other things.
Every human on this Earth is a sinner, even those of us who are saved. We do our best from day to day, to learn about Jesus and be more like him, but because we are human, we possess frailty, and so we sin.
God loves us anyway.
Nowhere have I ever seen God say, "I hate all sin, but by the way, homosexuality is worse than all the rest."
He doesn't say that, because to Him, all sin is equal.
We sin if we lust after someone who isn't our spouse.
We sin if we gossip.
We sin if we are prideful and arrogant.
We sin if we envy others.
We sin if we judge others without compassion.
We sin if we lie.
So to have this big freakout over homosexuality is ridiculous in my mind, because we are all sinners, none better than the others.
But if each of us strives to be the best person we can be, and we have accepted Jesus as our Saviour, we are bound for Heaven, no matter what other humans may think to the contrary.

Part 3: My Personal View of Sexuality
I can't see how it could be wrong to love someone. Lust maybe, but not love.
If loving a person makes you more selfless, if it compels you to make this world a better place just because they are in it, then how can that be bad?
I can't see how the gender matters at all.
When God judges me, I hope my mistakes in life will err on the side of too much kindness, rather than not enough.

2017-04-19 21:58:36

Hey Mirage, I love a lot of what you said here. I just wanted to point out one little nuance I disagree with: you use the popular phrase, "God hates sin, not the sinner." That's not actually how the Bible talks about it. For example, Psalm 5:5 says "You hate all who do wrong." But the difference between us and God is that the fact He hates sinners doesn't prevent Him from loving sinners. We see this in the crucifixion of Jesus—if we recognize that Jesus was taking the place of sinners, we realize God must really hate sinners in order to inflict such punishment on them. But we also realize God must really love sinners in order to take that punishment on Himself. It's actually, the way I see it, much more powerful than saying He only hates sin, but not sinners.

Regarding your part 3—where most people who take the traditional stance on sexuality would differ with you is that love can and should be expressed in certain ways, in certain contexts, and that sex as an expression of romantic love is only permissible within the specific context of a heterosexual, monogamous marriage. So they would probably say that you're right, love can never be a bad thing, but that love itself isn't what's at stake when it comes to the conversation of homosexuality, but rather gratifying one's own sexual desires—and anything self-directed is not love. At least that's how I understand the majority of the arguments I've heard.

2017-04-19 22:35:45

@mirage, thumbs up for an interesting post. Btw, methinks you and my lady would get on very well :d.

I confess personally I have always had a major problem with sin, ---- well conceptually if not literally (I hope) and indeed with a great deal of the punitive model followed in certain forms of christianity.

That we as humans are very good at being horribly nasty to our fellow humans is an undeniable fact, one needs only look around at the world we live in on a micro and macro scale; albeit I am less sure of the idea of literal original sin (I cannot consider a new born baby and imagine it as inherently evil).

However, even allowing for the general potential for scumminess of most humans, myself included, I just do not see this "divine punishment" model.

What after all is the purpose of punishment? Among children and unenlightened people punishment is just something that happens, think of the ignorant parent who says to a child "do that you get a smack"
It is at most a very crude attempt to deter wrong behaviour (and one which pretty much doesn't work), or it is simply that the parent feels that punishment must! for some reason of fairness come after a crime just as some sort of consequence, eg "do that and you'll have to go to prison"

The idea that god must adhere to this model, either trying to frighten everyone into behaving themselves by giving horrific, eternal punishments to some and spreading the word, among others (which also means using the punished as effectively a means)or still worse, that some sort of universal sense of fairness to which God is bound to obey means that god required his son, or himself to suffer horribly and die I just find incomprehensible, not the loving god explained elsewhere.
Indeed the notion of love and punitive punishment seems directly incompatible to me.
I even do wonder if this notion of punishment comes from a rather earlier time in human history whenbelieved intrinsically that social or physical suffering must! be a result of the person's own responsabilitiy, ie, if you have something bad happen to you, include a disease or a disability it must be your! fault since life would not be so random as to allow bad things to happen to good people. (Spong actually argues something like this with respect to the historical position of the testament jews).

I've always thought myself however, that understanding is better than punishment, therefore I've always rather liked some of the eastern views of morality, that essentially life is a training ground or a learning experience.
This perspective isn't unknown in Christianity either, oragon argued as such in the fourth century, though since emperor Constantine (who was a major git by all accounts), disagreed the doctrine never made it into official church cannon, which is actually rather a sghame.

Of course, there are a lot of things about the resurrection, why God might choose to live and die as a man, how the experience of jesus life and death affected those around him which have a lot of importance beyond the literal idea of sin and payment, indeed it is in these aspects that I am these days getting rather more of a respect for the Christian faith as an expression of love rather than one of condemnation.

This idea of learning is again however why I don't really see the argument against homosexuality, heck there are certainly gay people I've met who have given me things to learn.

Btw, this isnt' intended as offensive again, just as a sharing of views.

I will confess nearly becoming a rather synical agnostic my interest in faith general and my respect for Christianity, ---- at least where it expresses love as opposed to hatred is something I'm rediscovering currently, though unlike my lady I'm not sure if I'd describe myself as a Christian or if I'd just say I believe in God and don't mind worshipping in various ways big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-04-19 23:04:44

Dark: I can't speak for you personally, but the reason I think many of us struggle with the idea of sin, and wrath and punishment against sin, is that our idea of God is much too low. Let me put it this way: squishing a fly is not generally considered a horrible thing to do. Squishing a frog with your car might be a little unpleasant. Running over a puppy is very very upsetting. Running over a human child...you see where this is going. Moreover, even harming that child slightly is considered exponentially worse than squishing the fly—because the repugnance of the act is directly related to the value of the party being injured. So, if God's intrinsic worth is infinitely greater even than that of a human being, even the slightest wrong done against Him is infinitely more repugnant than the worst act one could imagine committing.

That said, it can be argued that some branches of Christianity have placed an undue emphasis on the aspect of sin as deserving punishment, and far too little on the aspect of sin as bondage, or separation, and so on. All of these aspects need to be held in tension, I think—but to your point about the punitive aspects of the doctrine of sin, they rest solely on sound doctrine concerning the unimaginably great holiness of God, and i think that reasoning becomes pretty clear if you can get it into abstractions like the flies and puppies example.

However, all of that is to say, Christianity is not about a vengeful God—it's about a merciful God. But the more aware we are of how very much we deserve that punishment, the more we recognize how incredible the fact is that God would bear that punishment in the person of Jesus Christ. To go back to abstractions: it's one thing for an innocent man to pay someone's parking ticket. It's another thing for him to serve someone's five-year sentence for a drug charge. It's another for him to willingly serve someone's life sentence for double homicide. It's another for him to willingly take the penalty for a mass rapist and serial killer. And so on and so on. The worse the crime, the more scandalous the grace, and Christianity is supposed to be about scandalous grace.

2017-04-20 02:09:35 (edited by daigonite 2017-04-20 02:09:55)

lol this thread is still going

BRING OUT YOUR GAYS!

BRING OUT YOUR GAYS!

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2017-04-20 06:32:54

@dark: how many times do I have to say that I do not hate them? is it so hard to understand? is there another language I might have to say it? maybe my native spanish?
Excuse me, I might start to sound harsh now, but insisting I hate gay people just because I keep saying that being gay is wrong when I have clarified that a thousand times in my posts, just makes me repeat it over and over again. I, do not, hate, gay people, but I just hate their sin. Oh and I'm still not gonna change my position about homosexuality, because I adjust strightly to what God's word says
@trajectory: OK, something caught my atention this morning: gay in the jungle? deffinetly not! I think every single thing in the creation was established in complete order, male and female. I might be missing some stuff you have said in earlier posts, so sorry if I am not answering some  questions  or challenges you made me. Its not deliberate, believe me.
@mirage: There are many things I agree with you as a fellow christian,  in fact that there are no bigger or smaller sins in God's eyes, sin is sin. I'm focusing my atention in homosexuality right now because this is exactly  what we are discussing right now. There is another point here that we must watch out very carefully, that is, cheep grace. A few posts ago someone said that sin is not what takes you to hell, but the truth is that God's word says that death entered this world because of sin, and of course if you and me dies in sin, our final destination is hell.
So yes, its true that God loves us, and that we're saved by grace, but God's love compromises us to work absolutely different. Why's that? because he gave his sun who gave absolutely everything, so that we who are unshorted from God's presence because of sin, can have eternal life

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. he gives to the human being complete joy and happyness. Why don't you receive him today?

2017-04-20 07:52:59

Moderation!

@Andy, it does not matter whether you hate people or not. Saying "this is wrong!" with no qualifications and using terms like "unnatural" unfortunately sounds pretty hateful to most people.

After all what would you think if someone said "I don't hate dark skinned people, they are just wrong! and against nature"
It is not a matter of changing your beliefs but expressing them in a less offensive manner.

I hope this makes sense.

Okay, moderation hat coming off now, the next bit is all most definitely just Dark's opinion big_smile.

@Joseph, I am afraid this question of "value" and "offense" is just one I see from literally the opposite angle..
to me, the more divine, the more holy, the more good and admirable conception of God is not a stern, immaculate figure who is "offended!" by sin and cannot associate with the worst of humanity, but the very opposite, someone who can! love people despite our intrinsic scumminess, with no! sacrifice or universal toll paying required.
After all, who is a better moral person, the fastidious person who remains aloof because they "don't want to associate with criminals", or the person who goes out and associates with outcasts and the worst of humanity and is able to love and try to help them despite that.

This again is one of the positive things I see about the life of jesus, that he spent his time among criminals and tax collectors and such, no universal toll paying or suffering required.

To me, the reason squashing a fly is not as bad as harming a child is simply that a child suffers considerably more than the fly, and indeed the truly good person is the person who could! manage to still value the fly despite it being a very different species despite what is to us a rather inconceivable, brief and fairly disgusting life. Indeed the bible supports the idea that god does! have this sort of universal, rather scary  benevolence, which is again one of the really positive things I see in Christianity, the fact that the love of god is! universal irrespective of how scummy we might happen to be.

thus I confess the idea of some sort of universal penal system is just one which does not resonate with me at all.

Personally as I said, I rather like the idea of learning. orrigan posited that the only "hell!" there might be is our own realization in the afterlife of just what idiots we've been, and rather than being imposed by god, or the universe or anything else, it's just a matter of our own, sudden. painful epiphany, which manifestly is something we just realize and then it's done ( eternal suffering either, either in literal fire and brimstone or the more modern idea of separation from god).

Perhaps this is more a matter of personal morality. my lady and I often have arguments over the necessities of some sort of restitution for immoral actions, for all she isn't in favour of the hole "eternal suffering, crucifiction as payment of debts thing" either, where as to me punishment seems to serve little purpose unless it is to teach the person the value of suffering or to prevent the person punished making others suffer.
I'll say the worst forms of evil I've seen have not been due to an intrinsic sinfulness, but an ignorance so profound that it was almost innocent in it's childishness, to me, trying to adopt some sort of claim of "punishment" or "responsibility" for that form of unthinking savagery would be as pointless as punishing a virus for making you ill.
there are people who simply have the imotional and empathic morality of a child, who will hurt others just because it does not occur to them not to do so, because it simply cannot! or because they exist in a world where others simply do not matter.
"punishing" such people or claiming they have "responsability" just does not seem to make sense to me, though as I said this is something my lady and I regularly have arguements about big_smile.

I'll also say on a personal level that for me, the times I have been most separate from god and indeed close to becoming a very, very sinical agnostic were not due to my own "sin!" but to much more human things such as fairly extreme loneliness anda highly acute , bone deep  perception of my own worthlessness.

What changed this and actually gave  back that perception of the presence of god I used to have was the divine grace by which I happened to meet my lady, and yes "grace" pretty much is the only word that fits given a set of extremely! unlikely coincidences which brought us together.

This is btw, also why I fully agree with mirage about homosexuality actually being a divine thing in and of itself where it is the expression of love, since certainly I can think of a gay friend of mine who's world was completely changed when he met his husband, (indeed his vicar apparently blessed both of them and told them he'd be glad to marry them if the church weren't being such idiots just for that reason).

2017-04-20 15:02:22

All of this has been gathered through and is based upon reflection and days spent in contemplative solitude, is not meant to offend and simply begged answers from me myself and no one else. Please, feel free to ignore. 
@Dark
Referring to poast 238, I believe the question becomes, does what you like actually exist, or is there a being in existence apart from what you like?  IN the 90's, Life magazine printed out an issue with the lead article titled, "Who is God?"  Many people were interviewed from all wwalks of life and the article kept going through various kinds of testimony, with the editor himself finally concluding along the lines of, "I don't believe in a God; it is just an idea or an unknown source of energy... May the force be with you."
This is what we want, what we all want, a little wand or force we can manipulate for our own convenience and our purposes, an impartial and impersonal comfort we can all rely upon to do as we will rather than as he wills.  The basis for my faith is simple yet powerful, and can best be described by a small, but profound statement: "God is the only entity in existence, the reason for who's existence is found entirely within himself."  If I'm going to believe in a powerful being, he has to be more powerful than I, unaffected by my wills, wants, wishes, ways and worries, implicitly capable of withstanding me and anyone else in this regard, his existence independent of us believing in him or otherwise.  He must be unphased by chance, eternally noncontingent and unchanging, from everlasting to ever lasting, because once he changes, he shall cease to be who he is.  Since I happen to know you're a Harry Potter fan, I'll point you to the mirror of Erised which contains perhaps the greatest ficticious description of this concept I've ever seen; the happiest man can look into it and see himself exactly as he is.  He does not need or will or want or otherwise intend to change himself or any of his surroundings, ever!  Likewise, a  God who is perfect does not need to change and will not change, because as soon as he changes even slightly, his perfection will cease to exist along with him.
And if he's pure and perfect, are not his eyes too pure to look on evil?  can he in his perfect existence and dwelling in his perfect paradise tolerate wrongdoing?  Would this not be the very antithesis of who he is, of his nature?  Could he at all under any circumstance take pleasure in wickedness?  Could he dwell in evil?  If he is perfect, is he not holy?  Does his holiness  not create the very reason he alone is morally perfect?  Could he allow us to sin and not punish those things he himself sees as unjust, unreasonable, unclean, unrighteous and overall ungodly?  Why should he delight in his creation turning from him, in those he molded in his likeness not wanting to establish a relationship with him when he desperately wants to, all along knowing that it is our sin which has separated us from him?
'Ah!"  I can hear many asking, "But did he not create us with a free will to pick and choose, knowing who would and would not choose what he does not agree with?"  Yes, yes he did, for what other way is there to show love if there is absolutely nothing in this world to forgive?  You can, while running errands, drop young children in a toystore and tell them to take nothing, fully aware that at least one of them is going to entirely disobey that instruction.  This is free will and the closest we will ever get to omniscience because we can't know it all.  The one who grabbed the toy has a choice to make; does he admit to his mistake and ask for your forgiveness, or does he, with the toy being so small you haven't yet seen it, go on with the toy in his pocket?  As a parent, I've gotten to see first hand that in and of themselves my children have no redemptive quality; they sometimes cry for no reason I can discover, throw temper tantrums over things they could just as easily and calmly hint at wanting, make messes I have to clean up, wear diapers I have to change, eat food I have to make, and on occasion they just flat out waste it!  What do I do?  I love them.  This is the action; the emotion comes after it.  I love them, no matter where or what or when or why, no matter how I must or how I show it, no matter if they love me, or not.  If God is good and God is true, I imagine he can find infinite ways of doing such a thing while remaining God.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-04-20 15:12:44 (edited by daigonite 2017-04-20 15:15:23)

tbh I don't get why we don't just figure out our morals without relying on god, it's really not that hard.

sociology dictates that certain actions such as theft, rape and murder make a society less stable. doesn't it follow that if we follow behaviours that promote social stability, then we will have a more stable society? I mean if we followed the morals of the bible referencing homosexuals, women, ect. we would be a far less stable society since we all know there is screwed up shit in there. Hell, look at the extremists in the middle east, who follow a similar religion, simply interpreted much more strictly.

I mean basing your morals around what is actually helpful for society makes more sense than referencing a book that is hundreds of years old and was written by people who didn't know what germs or psychology were. it's not like they were exactly that knowledgeable about these things. and I highly doubt that the bible is the genuine word of god, at best it is interpreted and therefore subject to the subjective nature of the interpreter.

lets also consider the fact that these guys were living in a time with a lot less people.

I'm not really sure how homosexuality or even transgenderism affects social stability. sure, the regressive left's interpretation of LGBTPOTATO is completely retarded and potentially dangerous for people with gender identity problems but all this dribble over something that I can't even objectively know to exist is kind of silly don't you think? Doesn't it imply that you can't build your own morality? Don't be so feeble.

tbh I'm kind of glad that religion is being replaced by philosophy in this generation. now if the youth wasn't into post modernist bullcrap I would be much happier, but alas, we can't have it all

2017-04-20 15:25:19

daigonite wrote:

tbh I don't get why we don't just figure out our morals without relying on god, it's really not that hard.

sociology dictates that certain actions such as theft, rape and murder make a society less stable. doesn't it follow that if we follow behaviours that promote social stability, then we will have a more stable society?

Question of the ages with a simple answer; the change must come from the inside out and none of us are capable of making it alone, else your idea would, I freely confess, be the noblest and most wonderful idea that ever existed this side of the planet Neptune, and you can clearly see it doesn't work as we have all been dealing with subjective morality for thousands of years without change.  What you do not see, is everyone concerning themselves with objective morality, because quite frankly, not everyone wants to.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-04-20 15:32:30

@andy93: I understand what you're saying, but consider the following: the predominant perception is that homosexuality is a state of being, not a conscious choice. As such, when you say "Being gay is wrong" people don't hear "Choosing to engage sexually with someone of the same sex is wrong", they hear, "Existing as a person with same-sex attraction is wrong." As such, the perception is that you are condemning someone's very existence, and I can see how that would be construed as hateful. Does that help clarify why people are reacting the way they are? For those who would label Andy's speech as hateful, if I'm misrepresenting your position please correct me.

Daigonite: To follow the philosophical rabbit hole you are leading us down—what reason do you have to say that the good of society is an objective good? Without an external moral standard, why is the good of human society a basis for morality? What special claim on flourishing do humans possess? Why would something that is destructive to our society be less good, objectively, than something that leads to our society's flourishing? And even if we can satisfactorily answer these questions, are we prepared to live with the implications of "What's good for society as a whole is the only objective moral standard? That sounds pretty close to utilitarianism, and anyone familiar with utilitarianism knows that it is not a philosophy which is friendly to those with disabilities.

I guess my point is that any attempt to construct an objective morality requires some sort of faith-based claim that X is the greatest good, whether X be God or societal flourishing or personal happiness or anything else.

2017-04-20 15:35:44

I wish I could write like @Joseph Westhouse.  Thumbs up on 242.

2017-04-20 15:56:20 (edited by daigonite 2017-04-20 15:57:36)

Nocturnus - surely none of us are capable of changing society in such a way by ourselves, however that wasn't really the issue being addressed.

I kind of feel that the problem regarding morality should be treated as an engineering problem. We can measure things such as the number of people who are murdered, stolen from ect. Instead of simply labeling these issues as morally wrong, does it not make more sense to identify the causes for these actions?

We know that people generally act in predictable ways and have predictable desires - to the point where we are able to model hundreds of human beings in simulations for things like crowd control, which is used to save lives in human crush disasters. These models simply use "agents" representing humans on a computer to predict human behavior in emergency situations. Does it not follow that we should instead base our morality on what actually works towards improving society, especially considering that our knowledge is growing on human behaviour?

I'm reminded of the "leaving children in cars" problem - clearly human irresponsibility is going to inevitably cost the lives of children every year in the summer. However, it is common to expect people to simply pull their own weight in this scenario. If this was an engineering solution, someone would be getting fired. Clearly the amount of human irresponsibility in the population is high enough to cost at least one life with this situation, which means that simply expecting that irresponsibility to dissolve will not form a resolution to the problem "children dying in cars". Simply put, expecting adults to pay their dues does not actually solve the problem of children dying, even if it does make us feel justified in our actions.

Joseph - While an empirical approach cannot resolve a purely objective approach due to the nature of relying on subjective measurements, the ability to compare and contrast measurements on large scales allows us to simulate reality in a predictable manner. This has been shown with many sciences, including social sciences, such as with the aforementioned agent simulations.

Despite having this issue, it is far more valuable than a subjective approach, because the net accumulation of information allows us to build a simulated objective reality based around the interpretations of a large sum of individuals. This is similar to how in quantum mechanics, the individual behaviour of particles cannot be predicted, but the aggregate chance of certain activities happening are. The summation of all these measurements allows us to make generalized predictions which are extremely accurate.

What makes humankind incapable of following this same principle? Are we not made of chemicals, and held together by the laws of nature? There is no evidence for a vital force, soul or anything similar to make us somehow uniquely not affected by this. Instead, as measurements accumulate, the image becomes clear that we are better described as extremely complex chemical machines. So what reason should I believe that we are somehow immune to these principles?

The stability of human society should be a basis of morality because ultimately, the goal of our species is to survive, then to propagate. If we treat this problem as an engineering solution using sociology and psychology, we then can model, at least with a bit of accuracy, our development in specific situations and adopt accordingly to take into considerations those goals of survival and propagation. If we practice behaviours that damage society, we risk our ability to survive and propagate. What benefit does a morality based on religious texts provide that this model does not?

I am strictly utilitarian, and I believe that claiming that such a philosophy is not friendly towards those with disabilities is a misinterpretation. The lack of social utility of the blind is caused by our inability to integrate them - a utilitarian would want to integrate the blind because not integrating them means we lose on their utility. Please explain to me where you got this misconception from because it does not seem to reflect utilitarian values. Indeed, my actions as a developer are intended to focus on increasing social utility of the blind without simply curing them, since curing blindness has many more complications than simply developing interpretive technology to support them, and such technology would be the most utilitarian answer. I mean, is there some utilitarian argument claiming that we should cull those with disabilities, because the cost of culling those individuals costs far more than actually integrating them (technology can be easily replicated, but culling takes a lot more manual work, just as an example), and many people with disabilities have higher utility in specific situations, such as the blind in low-vision environments.

There is no need for any faith based claim for an objective reality, if we simply claim that "objective" means the accumulation of millions of subjective perspectives. The only faith that is required is the faith in the idea that truth cannot be asserted, only falsehood, which backs empiricist philosophy.

2017-04-20 15:56:23

@Nocturnus:

First off, no such thing as objective morality though. Everything is subjective. I can stand here and say apples are green, but you could turn around and say no, they are red, and both are right.

Same with morals, or...well...anything really.

The Bible was written approx. 2,000 years ago and certain sects are trying to apply various holy books (Qu'ran, Bible for instance) to modern life, now the media loves to throw fundementalist at Muslims and label them terrorists but IMHO there are just as many dangerous, fundementalist Christians, and by fundementalist I mean rigid, literal interpretations of a holy text, or twisting it to suit one's goals.

If the US was an Islamic country and Christians were the ones in a holy war, IMHO the media would be quick to label them fundementalist.

Again, there is no objective side to that either, frankly. there can never be a clear and objective view on who is or isn't right, or wrong.

@242:

Utilitarianism, I was thinking more along the lines of a utopian system which, also, isn't friendly to people with disabilities, the whole culling for the good of society thing, or socialism, remember how Stalin treated disabled during the great purges that led to the Gulag system and its poster project? Yeah, no thanks. That being said, faith in certain circles as well is not condusive to disabled people either deepending on which faith is in question or indeed what time period you are in, if it's Puritanical, you are screwed, if it's Reformist, you're more screwed and if you're in Roman-era times, good luck surviving five seconds.
Another that sprang to mind along similar lines that I got into discussing this with a few friends the ther day was a socialist state, the definition, everybody is equal. It's a nice little theory, but it falls apart in practice, need I point to the former Soviet bloc, or why a society where everybody is equal can never work. That's not to excuse how faith is towards people who are different, again, depending on the faith in question, indeed there have been faiths that have condemned disabled people, and who have condemned left handed people as going to Hell, or for centuries the myth that if you were blind you masturbated and were thus a sinner by default....

Draco

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2017-04-20 16:00:19 (edited by daigonite 2017-04-20 16:01:24)

Utilitarianism is NOT socialism. Utilitarianism simply means that we should focus as a society in improving social utility. If anything, I think that socialism is anti-utilitarian because it assigns people to sub optimal roles, thus squandering utility. Furthermore, as stated before, utilitarianism isn't inherently anti-disability, although its likely that uneducated utilitarians believe such things. However, I would argue that the social utility cost of culling the disabled would far outweigh the utility cost of simply using technology to integrate the disabled, especially the blind. This is likely because the utilitarians arguing this claim are not aware of the full situation, aka, an argument from ignorance. Furthermore, if we provide technology for the blind, we can utilize the utility they provide, which would be lost in a disability culling.

2017-04-20 16:20:02

@slender,
You can claim that everything is subjective, but absolutes obviously exist.  Gravity will not treat you or I differently, save for our weight differences, perhaps.  does God exist?  I believe he does.  that is an absolute where I'm concerned based on personal conviction, which is the beginning of faith.  It's a lot like believing a wobbly chair will hold you up if you choose to stand on it, versus actually placing your trust in it and standing on it.  If he's not real, I've gained and lost nothing.  If he is real, I've gained eternity.

2017-04-20 16:21:46

Why does god care if you believe in him? Isn't that a sign of vanity? Doesn't that conflict with the idea of a perfect god?

2017-04-20 16:27:06

I asked myself that question for 26 years.  The answer I came up with is, how could someone who loves not care?

2017-04-20 16:36:49 (edited by daigonite 2017-04-20 16:42:30)

That's true, but last time I checked, beings who loved other beings do not punish them for doing something wrong unless that punishment serves to correct future behaviour. Eternal punishment or even eternal denial of heaven serves no purpose to actually change behaviour once it has been inflicted because it cannot be lifted. It makes more sense to me to focus on being a person who contributes towards society in my lifetime than worry about an unverifiable problem that may or may not occur after my death, especially if the outcome of which I cannot change afterwards.

Indeed, part of the problem with life/death sentences is that they do not provide the person the means to actually turn around, and thus provide no incentive to change that behaviour. If the behaviour was the problem, then god is doing an extremely poor means of actually regulating it, as well as proving that he is a loving being.

Doesn't it seem silly that this god "loves" me but won't forgive me for making a mistake if I do not turn around before I die, especially after I have realized I had made a mistake? If I was wrong, then so be it, I accept my mistake and I ask to be forgiven. Any reasonable individual would allow this, especially for such a relatively meaningless crime ("oh no, you didn't believe in me, you're literally worse than people who directly undermine human existence").

However, I don't understand why god insists that I must change before I die, especially if I have the capacity to experience suffering after death. Doesn't it make much more sense for a loving god to allow forgiveness after death as well?

If god expects me to believe in him, or expects me to believe that he is loving, then he should provide me a fair means to actually evaluate the situation - either allow me to redact my claim after death, or to allow a skeptical individual like me to have the evidence necessary for me to believe in him before that point.

After all, no loving father would punish their children so badly that they are incapable of forgiveness after a certain point.