2016-12-15 18:04:08

hi,
I have a laptop with the  Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30. From it's name, and the specs of my pc, I know it supports gigabit ethernet.  However, my internet speed is capped at 100 mbps. I cannot get the gigabit option in hardware settings iether.  I installed the latest driver toshiba posted for windows 8.1 even though I'm on 10. Anyone have any suggesstions?

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2016-12-15 19:16:06

Hmmm.
Well firstly its not you, it all depends on your router, and the net service previder.
most can get 10 to 100mbps, yes you could in theory pay the extra bucks for a gegabyte router and yes a lot of the newer ones will connect as this.
However its device spaciffic.
Geggabyte networks are new that is yes there are gbps networks for fiber and such out there, but they are quite new.
The class that does this is ac and higher routers and cards.
Most n class units which most things are to a certain price range anyway handle up to 300mbps, there are dule units from 600-750mbps, up to over 2gbps but they cost a lot.
And most laptops even the newer ones I have seen only use 150mbps entry n level communications.
And just because it says it on the box doesn't mean you get the speeds automatically out of it.
In a perfect world you probably would get the full speed just like in the perfect world I'd get the 75mbps advertised on my vdsl line here.
But I have a poor quality one and only get 15 and with local net traffic its betwene 8 and 10 most of the time.
Also you probably need a 5g instead of a 2g network.
Yes 5g networks exist and so do devices but your average laptop and or tablit aint one of those.
The 2ghz and 2.4ghz 13 channel networks are full to bursting with tablets, tvs and mobile and other devices.
As well as that way before the net it was and is still being used for everything from your commen microwave to all those remotes and cordless phones in fact every wireless device from now back to the start of the new borg order uses this stuff.
As a result we are reeping the fact we are running out of space.
5g should have fixed it, but it aint everywhere, and even now most devices are 2g.
Worse is the fact that out of the box you won't necessarily get 5g you will have to buy all the hardware and then it may work but it could also have issues who knows.
There are extenders but you can only have those for one network at a time, and it gets complex after that.
And your shitty router you get from your isp will be the cheapest thing they can find on the market.
That means n300 standard usually but there are lower n or g speeds around.
Worse still is the cost.
A basic dialup to dsl unit may cost between 50-100 at cheapest topping out depending with features round 1000 and higher.
At least in new zealand your standard vdsl and fibre unit costs at start 400 for the crappy basics, and could cost over 4000 for the extras.
Add in the 50-200-400 dollars for the wireless extenders each round that cost and you can probably see how expensive the net really is, add to that the 100 and over running cost of just your net data then your extras, voice service, etc and its quite expensive.
And sadly the latest means total fucking shit when it comes to the coms industry.
By the time the latest becomes standard the latest will have moved on and we have to play catch up.
So just because your device gets 1gb I have some of these to, it won't connect with 1gbps.
And even if it did if the networks round it aint 1gbps then it wouldn't matter anyway.
Unless you are transfering files within the network my slow 150mbps connecting at 72 mbps really does not matter that much.
It does help that you have at least a 300n router and the speed a good processer and memmory for things to work right, the g series wireless cards at 50mbps can be damn slow well there you go.
Now if you connect through a network with the same hardware you may get speeds the network can handle on a good day but thats just as it is.

I remember that on a good day I had a 10mbps card connecting to a network of the same type going out on a 64kbps line, and it worked but I was sucking up all the bandwidth just to be on and didn't notice I wwas taking things offline by just existing.
I am sure the net would be as fast as you want if there awere not so many things from buildings, and other devices in the way.

2016-12-15 21:22:09

hi Crashmaster,
You misunderstand me. My university provides me with a gigabit network. However, even though I have the right cable,  my ethernet card will not let me go above 100 mbps  even though it supports it.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2016-12-16 20:48:13

first, it is note worthy to know that, it uses auto speed negotiation. this is a pain  in the behind. so lets force it to use gigabit internet speeds. this will also speed up copying and other functions if your other devices supports gigabit speeds, if not, it will auto slow to there supported  speeds.

try the following,
open the run box. by pressing windows key and the letter R.
2. type this
devmgmt.msc
press enter.
the device manager opens.
3. now go to network adapters.
and find your network adapter in the list.
4, press shift and f10 to bring up the context menu, and choose properties.
5. under these tabs, go to the following tab.
advance tab.
6. now be careful.  only adjust the following settings.
in the first property list, go down till you here,
auto disabled gigabit,
tab to the selection combo box. and select, the option, disabled.
now tab back to the property list and go to the next setting which is.
energy ifisiant internet.
set this to, disabled.
the next setting to change is, green Ethernet.
set it to, disabled.
now navigate to the following setting, its called, speed and duplex.
change the value in the selection combo box to. 1.0 gigabit.
tab to okay, and press enter. and restart your  pc.
warning, only change the settings i described here, changing any thing else is not recommended, and will have unwanted affects.
I except no responsibility for damage caused, how ever, if u follow my advice, you'll be having your gigabit internet.
have fun.

There's a place for me in this universe.

2016-12-16 23:16:44

hi,
Unfortunatly, my problem is right there. None of the settings you described, except energy effecient ethernet, which is disabled by default, is present.  Also, as I stated, the 1.0 gbps option in the speed duplex setting is unavailable. The values available are 100 mbps and 10 mbps. Atheros disables these values in the driver's .inf file. However, I don't know where and what to add to the inf file to re-enable them. From what I read in forums, qualcomm only allows it's cards to auto-negotiate gigabit speeds.

2016-12-17 00:37:43

hmmm well if you have the latest driver from your manufacturer, I'd try to get it from qualcomm and see.
I'd also try for a bios update if you havn't gotten those sorted, on another list someone similar had the same issue but it was told it was win10 based but I wouldn't know.

2016-12-17 03:16:18

for letist  drivers  download driverpack  solution ad me on skype iff you want  itsiloveprajwal

2016-12-17 05:05:25

sorry to hi jack the thred a bit, but if any one does know or can help me find the huge driver pack selution file, the latest version i'd appreciate it, as i am looking for drivers, now at enes.
enes, i have a adapter made by them and it shows up in my list. how ever, this is odd, as it abselutely has to let you select wich setting you want.
this is  crazy for them to disabled this setting,
one other setting you may wish to go check out is,
if your pc is connected to a rooter, you may wanna see if the rooter it self supports 1.0 gigabit.
if so, set it to gigabit speed and see if the network card on your pc may pick up on this,
uff corse if you have a direct connection to the net, then this advice will not help you.

2016-12-17 10:10:53 (edited by Ghost 2016-12-17 10:35:48)

hi,
it really is disabled in the driver.  Where can I get a driver from qualcomm? The latest driver was written for windows 8 and published on july 16 2013. Even though toshiba uploaded it in 2015. Also bios is up-to-date.

2016-12-17 11:08:13

hi,
Ok updated drivers from driver pack. I installed my card reader, which windows didn't detect and updated ethernet. Interesting that the version installed is lower than the one I installed but  the driver date is higher. However, the result is the same. No gigabit ethernet.

2016-12-18 07:51:23

Replace the cable and try again.  If you can't, blame the cable you have, or the switch-port at the other end. Your network adaptor might be just fine, but if you really dispute it, get yourself a cheap gigabit USB adaptor and try again.

Just myself, as usual.

2016-12-18 10:46:57

hi,
I don't fault the cable. It is brand new now. Since I don't know anything about the switch port at the end, it probably is at fault.

2016-12-18 11:52:12

hi,
as for the driver packs, you can get it from it's offitial site. the iso is 10000 mb.

2016-12-18 19:12:41

I'd still try the laptop manufacturer rather than a third party probably virus filled site.
I'd then try to get official drivers.
On my laptop my standard realtech family pcie does not seem to have gb support.
But the 2 desktops and i3 server I have do, and I was able to set them as described and will continue to set others with this type of configs.
all of these had standard realtech cards.
On an interesting note, if you are using certain asus boards the drivers for the network are more up to date than the origional manufacturer's cards drivers.
I know for example that the realtech hd audio codecs are no longer updated but that other manufacturers do update their drivers.
And the same for the intel stuff.
Amd doesn't always update their stuff but I have noticed that the latest drivers for amd seem to cover more cards than laptop cards ever do and include extras all in one pack.

2016-12-18 23:25:09

hi,
Toshiba is extremely late to post drivers and has stopped updating it's drivers entirely. And, no, I'd take the up-to-date network driver over the ancient driver any day. Why the gigabit force option was removed boggles my mind. Probably due to the copyright lobby trying to  take away features from my devices that I have every right to use. The same thing is true for toshiba conexant audio drivers. Stereo mix is disabled in the drivers together with a few other things. However, you can make a few simple edits and re-enable them. Could someone help me re-enable the  feature on my notebook driver's .inf file?

2016-12-19 08:34:02

The Windows drivers situation is absolutely horrible.

Wouldn't driver signing stop you modifying your driver anyway?

Just myself, as usual.

2016-12-19 14:59:04

hi,
You can disable driver signature enforcement at bootup for a single boot. That is enough to install modified drivers.

2016-12-20 02:07:05

Oh right. And remind me again (I'm sure I've seen this somewhere, but I forget) what's the sequence?

Did you say your chipset driver is older from the manufacturer than it is from Toshiba?

Just myself, as usual.

2016-12-20 06:16:23 (edited by flyby chow 2016-12-20 06:18:25)

warning warning warning,
if any thing goes wrong, or your pc ends up not booting, you follow my advice at your own  risk.
my advice comes from experience, how ever i cannot account for every systems unique behaviour.
please always back up your pc before atempting these edits.
this is for advanced users only. do not do this if you not sure what you are dooing.
it will render your pc unbootable if any thing goes wrong.

hi enes, usually messing around with editing drivers is not worth the time it takes, enes, have you actually tried,
to use a different driver but from the same device, just for another manufacturer, that mite work, i once tried this and it worked for me,
when worse came to worse i forcefully updated the driver using device manager update but i manuaally browsed  for the driver, tricking it to use the driver,
i actualy got some nifty features out of a sound card when i tricked it to use a different driver, rfl!

2016-12-20 13:03:09

hi,
I don't think an ethernet driver will make my pc unbootable. Maybe a video or chipset driver but probably not ethernet. Which driver should I make it use? The driver provided by toshiba is ancient compared to the driver available through driver packs