2016-12-10 02:23:14

Hi all,

Over the last year or so, I've been trying to find something I might be able to do. I graduated high school in June and spent the next 4 months trying to get into an Apple Store job position. When I finally got an interview in October, I quickly realized it wasn't for me. Now, I'm looking into some other options. I came across the CompTIA A+ certification. I'd like to work in some kind of IT or technical support role, so thought this might help get me started. Does anyone have any information on this? HOw should I proceed? Would it be better for me to go to an actual school or center where I could get hands on instructions from a human? How blind friendly is the whole process? I'd much rather take a $200 or so test than waste 2 or 4 years at a College or other bullshit.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-12-10 08:25:52

I hear you, and I thought, and still do think, much the same thing.

From what  I've been able to find out, you need either 6 months of experience in the IT field, or an equivalent amount of training. I would presume you must provide proof of this before you can even take the A+ exam. I am not going to go into the experience I had that should have given me this equivalent training on a public forum, but it screwed me over. Enough said. Anyway, I hope you have better luck than I did obtaining this training. Because, frankly, college isn't everything, especially in this day and age. So it's refreshing to see that someone else believes that life doesn't end just because you don't have a diploma, which inevitably leads to lots of money, 4 kids, a lovely, well-tended house, and all the rest, right?

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-12-10 11:07:05

You may be interested in [this] article on IT certifications, it does mention CompTIA. The gist of it is that from an IT security perspective such degree's and certifications can be largely worthless, at least from a skill and education standpoint. You might be better served with a general CS degree, or you could try going for [OSCP] certification.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2016-12-10 22:09:06 (edited by Chris 2016-12-10 22:10:45)

The link in the last post directed me to a page about a security certification or something. I was immediately turned away by the coding aspect. I don't want to program. I've tried it and have found that I don't have the patience.

While I was doing more research on the CompTIA A+, I found some information about computer hardware. I don't know how feasible hardware repair would be. Any thoughts on this? I was thinking more about software troubleshooting such as reimaging computers and keeping them operational. I'm a little scared to go messing with hardware when I can't see the components which are getting smaller and smaller as we move to laptops and mobile devices.

As for the general computer science thing, I don't think so. I'm not going for that if I have to sit in a classroom for 2 or 4 years going through remedial classes and other garbage at some community college or university. I'd much rather go to a technical school or something that may provide better and more focused training. Any thoughts are welcome.

2016-12-11 05:27:04

Working with hardware is doable if you're willing to go through some trial and error. it's not my favorite thing in the world to do; like you, I much prefer working on the software side of things. I can do the basics. I can disassemble a desktop, and change components such as hard drives and RAM. But it's just not my area of expertise. If you're going to do it, grab an old piece of crap computer that nobody cares about anymore, and dig in.

However, one of my best friends is totally blind and is very good at working on and building systems from the ground up. I have also spoken to people who have been in this field for a long time who say that the only thing you really need sighted assistance for when building a desktop is connecting the cables to the power and sleep buttons. This is a visual task which, when screwed up, could have disastrous consequences.

i've stressed work on desktops here because, as you've rightly pointed out, it's harder for a blind person to work on laptops, never mind mobile devices. My friend prefers to take his laptops to a computer repair shop when they need hardware work or upgrades done on them. But I've also heard of blind people who have done this successfully, so I suppose it's about comfort level. Which is all well and good if you're doing this for a hobby, but I can understand your wariness, as I've often had the same thoughts and fears, particularly about working on smaller devices.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-12-12 07:07:16

The CompTIA+ certification will serve you well if you have the experience to also show for it.

I took an IT Essentials course back in high school that practically prepared you for that test.  It was a great course, but I'm weary of reimaging hard drives and installing fresh OS's outside of Mac.

Now, without getting into a debate about college or schooling in general as a requirement to get a job, experience will be your best friend here.  You need to decide what is comfortable for you, and understand that some things may deter you, but do your best and overcome as many fears as possible.  It'll serve you well.

In terms of experience, the best thing I can suggest as a computer science major and coming from a 4-year university is that school provides endless options for internships and hands-on experience.  Depending on the college (university or otherwise), the quality of the program will also determine how much you will bring to the table in the field.

So, my recommendation is this.

1. Figure out exactly what you want to do (hardware, software, etc).
2. Decide if you can find education of the same quality at a different facility.  It sounds like you don't want to invest money in post-secondary level ed if you can help it, which is understandable.
3. In your sparetime, research, research, research!!!!!  Much of the material found in introductory courses can be found online, and in all reality, depending on your experience with computers, you may already possess the knowledge to ace many of the course assignments anyways.  That's how it was for me in IT Essentials.

Getting your certificate is one step, but research how you can get hands-on experience.  Even if it's not considered an internship, experience is experience and that's all there is to it.

Best,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2016-12-12 09:11:32

If I have a choice, it will be software. If I'm going to be doing some hardware as well, I'd either need extensive hands on training or a lot of old computers to potentially irreparably destroy. I'll check into it. It's a shame the school didn't have any classes like this. The only classes they offered were programming, graphics/animation, and something about using Office applications. Then again, school got pretty useless past Elementary or Middle school.

I think the software situation may be changing very soon. Microsoft will be coming out with an update to Windows 10 that will offer significant improvements in Narrator which include braille support and accessible Windows PE/RE environments. Even if sound support isn't always possible, I'd hope that braille could be used as a substitute on all systems. I haven't been this excited about Microsoft or Windows in forever.

2016-12-13 00:39:35

Even sighted people need to get hands-on experience, and a blind person more than likely more-so.

The need for software gurus is becoming more demanding than ever before.  I hope you find success in your endeavors.

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2016-12-13 14:23:58

Hello Chris.
I just want to tell you that fixing the hard ware of computers will not give you as mutch money as programming gives you.
Me my self, i strugle with programming a lot, as you can see, but if you ask around, and just keep trying, you will be more than fine i asure you.
For blind people, hard ware can become quite a difficult part of i t.
Hope this helps.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2016-12-14 00:13:51

Not everyone can be good at programming, just as not everyone can be good at any number of other jobs. I probably shouldn't even be responding to this, as this is a subject that can irritate me very quickly, so the only thing I'll say is that while it's all well and good to offer advice, don't assume that you know what's best for somebody just because they happen to be blind and know how to work with a computer. We get that crap all the time from rehab professionals; i'd prefer that such assumptions be kept off of an awesome forum like this one if possible. Now, is it true that it's harder for a blind person to work in IT? yes, undeniably so. But, as technology progresses, so, too, do ways of playing with and working with it.