2016-11-17 19:26:37

Hi,
Can I register and buy it for it now after creating an xbox live account? It looks like it's on sale at microsoft or do I need to own the console first?
Also, where exactly do I go to buy games just so I'm not all confused and what not.
The main reason I'm asking the above is because there seems to be a few games that look a little interesting and they're free. Also quite a bit of money off other games at the moment which I'd like to take advantage of.
Thanks!

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2016-11-17 20:26:16

You can buy the games at any time. As for the membership, I personally think it's best to wait until you get the console.

2016-11-17 20:35:01

Can you setup the xbox 1 without sighted help using narator by itself?

2016-11-17 22:34:21

Oh, okay. Free games and discounts makes it more worth it then.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2016-11-18 00:46:38

@arcmeister: I'm not entirely sure, but the theory is yes. Assuming consoles com with the latest build automatically, it should be fine. If not, then I don't know.

2016-11-18 07:41:08

Hi,
Should be getting the xbox at some point next week, so we'll see what happens.
Hoping that I get an up to date model with narrator, but again, we'll see.
Thanks for all the help so far. I do have another question, and of course with it being so late I totally forget what it was. Argh.

2016-11-18 17:46:16

Hi.
My Xbox has updated automatically, so I have the latest version installed. However, I have some really bad news to report:
Currently, Narrator does only support a few regions and languages. That means, if you switch to a region which Narrator does not support, but you keep the language on english, Narrator stops talking. This is seriously bullshit, because the store where you purchase things, seems to be based on the region you select. So if you need to buy games from a none Narrator supported region, you need to use your console without speech. If you don't change your region on the console to the region you're in, you are simply unable to make any purchase... So, in other words, that means:
Because I live in Denmark, which is an Narrator unsupported region, I'm unable to make any purchases, because I can't ad my credit card, because my console is set to the wrong region. If I change the console to my region and keep the language on english, Narrator will stop working.
It seems like the xbox.com website is set to the region your console is set to.
I really hope I'm wrong regarding to this, but it seems like I'm unable to buy anything until Microsoft hopefully will fix this in the next big update to the XBox. Well, it's nice to have an accessible console, but I can't buy any games for it. Lol...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-11-18 18:38:55

Hi,
Can't you just buy games from the denmark store on the computer and they'll transfer over to the xbox regardless of what region it's set to? Logically, that would make the most sense, as it's tied to your microsoft account and it shouldn't matter what region the game is bought in.
I'm not talking about on the console itself, by the way - but my computer automatically brings me to the Canadian xbox site on the computer, so I'm assuming even if I buy the games in Canada, even if the region is set to US, I should still get the games in my ready to install tab, right?
Also, one more question. What are all these different editions of games? What do they add and generally what's the best one to go for for value of money etc? I'm not sure what it all entails - with my ps2, one game usually fit all but now I'm seeing special edition, certain games with different packs attached, certain games that I have no idea what's different about them etc but the prices all vary greatly. So that got me wondering.
Finally, not sure if I've missed it yet but can someoen give me a little rundown on the controller and where everything is? Also curious how to go about pairing for the first time since from what I'm hearing the xbox controllers can't be plugged into it directly for wired play?
Greatly appreciated!

2016-11-18 18:54:40

@57/58
Wolf's right. You can purchase the games via the Xbox.com store even if your console is in a different region.  I've done this with KI, for example, purchasing via the smartglass app in this case.  Also works for DLC.  Basically, you're right about console access, but once Danish is added to Narrator, you will be able to use your console to buy everything.  Meantime, you should be able to buy games for the Xbox store online rather than via your console.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2016-11-18 19:00:06

Apologies for the double post but this is a different side of the topic.  For those asking about independent setting up of the system, if your console has the latest update, I.E. probably most Xbox One S consoles (though I can't be sure of this as when I got mine, it was running a build before non-US narrator).  Basically, just get sighted help to make sure your all updated.  Once you've got that, you should be fine once Narrator's up and running.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2016-11-18 19:24:12

Hi,
Speaking of apps, what apps are available for iPhone and android in regards to the xbox and what can I do with them?
Also, what build will most likely come loaded on the xbox one regular? I'm looking more into that because it will be a little cheaper, even if not much. Though we'll see.
Thanks!

2016-11-18 19:29:47

@timberwolf, the Canadian and US stores share the same region, collectively known as North America, so it actually doesn't matter in our cases. And I may be wrong on this, but Narrator isn't so much region dependent as language dependent... there are different options for english in the system language area, and so long as it's set to US English it should work. Region shouldn't have anything to do with it... unless I just got lucky when I tried. With region set to Europe and language set to one of the english options, it should work, but I theoretically state this... because I can't test it, not having a console.

Discord: clemchowder633

2016-11-18 21:04:15

@slj: set your language and region to English but then set your location to denmark and see if that works. Location is what the store is based upon, not region, apparently.

2016-11-19 09:31:18

Thanks Aaron. Now I don't remember if it was the region or the location I tried to change, which said Narrator would stop working if I restarted the XBox. I'm currently on a trip outside the country, but will be home again in one week, and then i'll take a look at it.
@Sightless kombat: Where do I change the currency on the XBox store website and how do I add my credit card?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-11-19 10:38:55

If you're on the insider programme,there is current an insider quest specifically to test narrator across different countries, you can find it in the insider app

2016-11-19 22:10:20

Hi,
Don't mean to bring this up again (Maybe I asked it in my original thread and not here), but what does the xbox controller look like and how is it laid out? Do the original one and one s controllers look different from each other?
thanks!

2016-11-20 03:38:46

Hi,
I'm not really sure how I'll do with this, but I will try. This is the normal xbox one controller.
In each hand. you've kind of got grips. Not really sure how to describe them.
Let's start with the top.
On the left you have an analogue stick, this is used for moving around in games, making characters walk in first person shooters like halo. It's near your thumb, and below that is a directional pad up, down, left and right, used for menu navigation and in Killer Instinct it can be used to make your character move.
If you then go back up to the analogue stick and move to the right and up a bit, you come across a sort of panel. On this panel is a round, quite tactile button. This is called the x-box button.
If you then go below this, you come across two round buttons. The one on the right is the menu/start button, and the one on the left is the view button it's used in games like Killer Instinct to taunt,, or it can do all sorts of stuff I think in racing games it changes views and stuff. It's not used too often during the normal dashboard operation though. The menu button atiates pause menus or press start screens, or opens up context menus while navigating the dashboard.
Moving to the right, you've got the right analogue stick near your right thumb.
Then moving even more to the right, you have the face buttons. There are four of them.
On the bottom, you've got a. To the right of a, you've got b. Then, moving to the left of a, you've got x. And right at the top, you've got y. These do all sorts of stuff, but a is your select/confirm button and b is your back button most of the time, when in menus.
Near your index finger when holding the controller you'll also find some stuff. On the right and left hand sides, you have one pressable button called a bumper, and below that you've got a more squishy thing called a trigger that kind of presses inwards. It sort of pushes when you use it. The triggers are used in racing games to accellerate or in fsp games to fire, but they also do other things depending on the game.
These are right bumper, right trigger, left bumper and left trigger are on the other side.
Then, if you start moving to the left past the right trigger, you will come across a micro USB port. This is used for charging and also syncing the controller when using it for the first time. To the left of the usb port is a small, round button which is a sync button, but I'm not really sure how it works as I just plugged my controller in and it worked first time. Once it starts working though, you can also use it as a wireless controller which is really cool. You should get notifications when the battery is low but I don't think you get one when it's charged.
I hope this helps a bit. It can be a bit confusing though if you haven't seen/touched one before.

2016-11-20 05:42:40

Hey all,
first and foremost, I wish to thank Sightless Kombat for creating this topic. thank you so much!
I read through 90 percent of your topic which ultimetly led to my decision to purchasing my all new xbox 1 s.
At arron, that's spot on for the description of the controler. the xbox 1/xbox 1 s controler is almost identical to the xbox360 controler, but the only thing different about the 2 is the xbox button. Thanks for the layout, now I know that the lb, rb, lt and rt buttons haven't changed from the 360, as well as now knowing what the name of the center button is. I always just called it the controler on button. Lol.
As for my experience with xbox, I just got an xbox 1 s and am loving it, upgrading from my handy 360 which I'll never part with smile
My experiences were pretty good from the moment that I powered it for the first time.
When it came to the factory OS version, my unit came with something that reminded me of a version which was very outdated. Which it probably was.
The voice that I got when using narrator for the first time was vaguely similar to the serie mail voice. If Serie mail had a brother, that's what it sounded like. But after the update, the normal david voice is what I have now.
But anyhow,
As for setting up the xbox, it was hit and miss for me after a certain point.
For example, I could sign into my wi-fi and update the unit. I could then set my languidge and timezone. However, when I got to the account screens, I couldn't understand what the xbox was asking for until I actually mannidged to finish the setup, as narrator wasn't reading the piece of the screen which told me what to type into the edit feeld.
I could sign in with my microsoft account, but then it asked for some key info, which was what I couldn't read.
In the end I ended up unknowingly entering my phone number as my full name, and my email as my username which everyone could see, which turned into the username of Uncaged Branch97, which I unfortunately can't change haha.
But I was able to delete my phone number and change it to my name in the xbox settings section.
So, you can definitely set up your xbox without assistants, however, you may encounter some unlabled stuff in the account piece of the setup process. You can change your name after you're finished, but it's still good to have someone standing by. Especially if you wish to create your screen name correctly.
In terms of narrator,
It works as expected, very related to how windows narrator works, especially if you're using a keyboard. But there is 1 major bug that I'm currently experiencing though.
In the narrator options screen, when I wish to change the voice speed, narrator crashes, and I can't get it to speak until I do a full reboot of the xbox. Apart from the bug, I also notice that there's no other options. for example, turning off the speaking of every keystroke, along with some of the other options that are found in windows narrator. I think that the option to disable the speaking of keystrokes would be very useful, as it would definitely speed up performance of narrator and the xbox, and it would be less verbose, especially when hitting tab or the d pad while navigating.
When it comes to apps, I have noticed that narrator doesn't work with most apps, at least the apps that I've tryed out and wish to use daily. For example, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and crackle tv. These are quite basic apps and should be able to work with narrator, but for the time being, no Netflix, Hulu, youtube or crackle tv, at least until microsoft adds support for apps other than the ones that are built into the xbox. However, interestingly, the vlc media player app seams to work relatively good. Interesting, but awesome, as I can hook into my external harddrive and watch movies or tv shows. But you do need an external keyboard to get to the vlc picker hoast screen to choose your content. I haven't figured out how to get there with the xbox controller yet.
Other than that, from the store to microsoft edge, narrator works well enough to get by, especially in microsoft edge. You can't read every element of the websight, for example, forum/plog posts, but you can read most links, along with the menues in edge.
The store seams accessible, as I've gone ahead and purchased my first game, grand theft auto5. And when I get enough cash together, I'm going to purchase the hary potter film 8pack, which looks like it contains all extended versions of the movies, as well as the bonus content. Loving it!
But as they say, I'll never look back, and I'm definitely looking forward to what microsoft has in store for the next xbox OS update.
Well, think I'll go blow up some stuff on GTA5.
Happy xboxing times!

I no longer use skype like I used to, so feel free to follow me on twitter at rockmasterrob for updates, to chat and all that good stuff. I follow any and everybody back who follows me.

2016-11-20 12:01:19

@67
Just a couple of things:
A and B are blow X and y, though B and y are slightly separated from A and X as a pair.
Also, on the Xbox One S controller I have, the Xbox button isn't actually as tactile, though that could be a stylistic design choice.

Other than that, I think you've basically got it all sorted, other than that in KI, you can use the DPad to do everything in KI in terms of movement and special moves. 

@68
I'm glad the topic has been of help.  Having not created a gamertag from scratch on a console, but registering it before I got mine in the first place.  Regardless, I'm glad you got it sorted.  Also, you can get a free gamertag change, unless of course you used that up to rectify your unintentional error in the set up process.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2016-11-20 22:58:33

Hi,
@djrockmasterrob: Thanks so much for that post. That answered a lot of questions - and I'm probably going to create my account here within the next little while before I get the actual xbox.
Thanks Aaron for the controller description, too. I'm guessing the xbox button is what so many talk about to turn your console on and off once paired etc?
Now for the fun stuff. Can we get a list of accessible (if not partially accessible) games for both the one and 360? I'd gladly help with menu guides if I can (assuming people would want to do that). I know I'd greatly appreciate it, considering I'll probably be using a pretty small computer as my main 'tv screen' at least for a while.
Looking forward to this!

2016-11-21 00:51:20

A long post ahead with three games the last one has some explanations/theories.
@timberwolf: here's a list of partially accessible games, that is, games that can pretty much be played, once you know menus, without sighted help, as we can train you:
-Killer Instinct
_Mortal Kombat X
-If you want to try your hand at a music game, there's always Rock Band 4 (note that this is an expensive buy because you have to buy the rivals bundle from Amazon which comes with a guitar and the game, but I'd recommend the rivals full band bundle because you can get a microphone as well if you want to try singing) but that costs, I think $199 or something. There's a practice mode in one of the more recent update which helps with learning guitar charts. Also note, I think the full band bundle comes with a paper/card code in the box that you have to redeem to get the expansion, you could always just buy the expansion from the store but then you'd be paying not only for the bundle, but for the expansion as well, and the expansion is supposed to come with the bundle. I now realize that I'm probably sounding quite confusing so I'll try to summarize.
-I recommend buying the full rivals band bundle from amazon, because I don't know if they sell the original band in a box bundle anymore.
-This comes with guitar, drums, microphone and the game, and I think also a paper/card code with the rivals expansion pack access on it for free.
-you can actually buy the pack from the store, but instead of paying $100 for the bundle and redeeming the pack, you'd then be paying $100 plus an additional $30 or $40 for pack access. This is why I'd recommend getting sighted help to redeem the code that comes with the bundle.
Also the bundle only comes with one guitar for some reason, but that's the way it's always been when starting out with Rock Band. Also you'll be set for the console generation of Rock Band, you won't have to keep on buying guitars and stuff like that. They aren't that silly thankfully. If you do enjoy the game though you'll probably want to end up buying more songs, and that's where things will start adding up over the years. Oh sure they maybe cost $2 each but imagine that over a number of years. WHen I was playing the ps3 version, I racked up around 10 pages of downloadable song purchases with 10 songs per page, although some of these were packs so I don't know how much stuff I ended up getting. Basically, a lot. I really enjoyed it back in the day.

2016-11-21 04:20:43 (edited by djrockmasterrob 2016-11-21 04:25:07)

Hey all,
At Timberwolf1991,
I'm glad that I was able to assist. Definitely let us know when you get your unit. I'm sure you'll love it. I know that I do because my dj gear actually collected dust and I had to brush it off this morning. Lol!
Yes, the xbox button is the famous button. Also known as the halfmoon button when it comes to the xbox1/1 s controlers.
Also, once paired, you can turn on the unit with the controler. I usually just use the power button on the xbox as I know for sure that the unit is booting, but I do like using the controler at times, especially when I'm across the room haha.
But, I'll definitely buy and check out killer instinct and mortal combat x when I get the chance, but in the meantime i'll read up on the games. I always loved mortal combat for the n64, but that was many years ago, and I'm sure that mortal combat x is much more cooler in this mottern day in age. But killer instinct is new to me.
As for changing my gamer tag, I actually don't know what it might be. It's either payback, or uncaged branch97. But if my tag is payback or uncaged branch97, I just left it, as that's what I may have used for the 1time change. Lol it's perfectly fine with me, I'll just be known as either payback, or uncaged branch97 haha. I should have created one before setting up the xbox but I didn't know that creating one using a computer was possible.

I no longer use skype like I used to, so feel free to follow me on twitter at rockmasterrob for updates, to chat and all that good stuff. I follow any and everybody back who follows me.

2016-11-21 05:30:51

I know this is off topic, but can somebody make a guide for rockband? explain how the colors work and which notes/cords they correspond to?

:D happy to help out with games and the like... maybe :D

2016-11-21 15:05:06

hmmm. That could be trick because the colours change per song but it's kind of the same too. A bit hard to explain. I could try though but I don't really know the best way of doing this, especially with the new game because I won't be able to use many songs as examples at the moment.

2016-11-21 19:42:19

Hi,
So microsoft has, for black friday, the xbox one with up to $70 off, xbox live gold for it looks like 10^ off or more, and a 50 dollar promo code if I'm seeing this right. Not to mention there are a few games 30% off too.
So, I'm hoping that if I actually buy it in Canada, I'll still get narrator. Can this be confirmed by anyone? By the time I factor in american exchange rate I might as well just buy it here.
thanks