2016-10-24 00:51:13

hi all,

was just wondering if someone had thought or is thinking of making the original doom or doom 2 games accessible?

I know quake was somehow made accessible although I didn't get a chance to play that. I don't think it's around now is it. even so could someone somehow make doom happen? I mean with the likes of swamp around is doom a realistic possibility?

here's hoping....

2016-10-24 04:48:35

Audio Quake is still around and does indeed still work. I just spent a bit more time messing around with it and managed to get it up and running properly. If anyones interested in playing it follow these instructions:

Step 1: Go to [this] site and at the bottom of the page download the AudioQuake package. When installing it the option to download the demo version didn't work for me, so you may want to leave that option unchecked. When finished you should have an audioquake folder sitting around.

Step 2: You will need the pak files from either the demo or the retail version before you can play, you can get the shareware version [here]. Extract the files, run deice.exe which should create a folder called quake_sw. Copy Quake_sw/id1/PAK0.PAK into audioquake/id1. If you have the full verison of quake, copy both PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK from quake/id1 to audioquake/id1.

Step 3: When your finished, there are a few ways to start this. Either you use the Launch AudioQuake link in the start menu, or on the command line in the audioquake folder type "perl start.pl". This will load the launcher and give you a series of options. Press "S" to start, then press the tilde key to open the console, type "Start" and press enter to get a list of commands for starting new games. Type "SP" and press enter to launch a singleplayer game, press tilde again to close the console and your good to go.

Note this was tested only on WinXP, there may be compatibility issues that may need ironing out on other versions of windows.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2016-10-24 07:31:11

Hi.
An accessible version of the classic Doom 95 or Doom 2 would be so fantastic! It would be quite simple to make, I think. However, I'm not a developer... I would support such project and help as much as possible, if any developer is up for it. I have played both Doom 95 and Doom 2, and I know a lot about the games. Doom 95 is much better than Shades of Doom. The closest we have to the original Doom games is Technoshock.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-10-24 12:17:21

Theoretically, it should be possible. Like Quake, the Doom engine has been open-sourced years ago and there now exist a lot of modern doom conversions. In practice I'm not sure how navigable the maps would be for a blind person at least I haven't had much luck with the quake single player.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2016-10-24 15:06:23

well I would certainly support a kickstarter campaign if someone was to try and make this happen. I loved the doom games.

2016-10-24 17:28:09

hi.
You can download a latest audioquake from original website, this version which was posted in previous post doesnt works on win 10

2016-10-24 18:15:02

Does anyone know if Audio Quake is for the original Quake, Quake 2, or both?

2016-10-24 20:58:38

Hi.
It would be fantastic if we could have an accessible version of Doom, with an accessible map maker. We could then get sighted people to describe what the original maps looks like and make our own simular maps. I would support a Kickstarter on such project as well.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2016-10-25 01:16:35

Hm, yeah I remember coming across a 64 bit version somewhere when digging around, its over [here] on their github repo. I tested it on a windows 10 machine and it seems to run fine after I toggled "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings", it already includes PAK0.PAK and you just need to run zquake-gl.exe directly to start it, although I didn't get any TTS output. There's no launcher anymore, but as with the previous version to start a game press the tilde key to open the console, type "SP" to start a singleplayer game, then press the tilde key again to close the console and your good to go.

@Figment I beleive its only Quake 1.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer