2016-09-07 21:56:30

It's all over the web. The new IPhone is coming out, and yes, it does not have a ear phone jack. They are going for the whole wireless thing. I do wonder who will not buy because of that one thing. Anyway, maybe the links below be helpful. I also wonder what others think. I am not going to upgrade my IPhone this go around. Of course, I got my 6s just a few days ago.
The iPhone 7: More Camera, More Colors, Less Headphone Jack | WIRED
Apple’s iOS 10 Is Coming to Your iPhone Sept. 13 | WIRED
The 12 best new features of Apple’s iPhone 7
Get ready to lose those expensive wireless AirPods
The iPhone 7 will finally start at 32GB of storage | The Verge
Apple officially ditches headphone jack for Lightning, will include adapter in iPhone 7 box
Apple announces water resistant iPhone 7: pressure sensing home button, dual cameras, jet black finish
Apple pushes new EarPods and AirPods for a future without headphone jacks | PCWorld

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-09-07 22:15:00

Hello,

My next iPhone will be the SE unless Apple releases a newer 4 inch phone when I finally decide my 5S is retired. I don't particularly like the idea of proprietary wired and wireless connections. If they're going to do this, why not put two ports on the device so you can charge and use wired headphones at the same time? Also, why the hell are they charging $159 for a pair of wireless earbuds. They'd better be really good earbuds or I'll be pissed. I'm not spending that kind of money on headphones ever again after my experience with Bose. Also, do these EarPods offer low latency as compared to bluetooth? Do they address the issue of crummy 8 KHZ mono audio when using the microphone? I'm sorry I'm being so harsh. I'm just in a bad mood right now. I can't believe they went from open standards to more proprietary ones. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised anymore. I like Apple, but this proprietary nonsense is really irritating!

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2016-09-07 22:15:48

Whether or not the new iPhones come with or without an ear phone jack makes no difference to me because I'm not upgrading from my 5s because I don't feel like spending $400 on a new phone.

Even if I did upgrade, the lack of an ear phone jack wouldn't bother me because I've never felt the need to use ear phones with any cell phone.

2016-09-07 22:18:42

I'm sticking with my 6S as long as possable to avoid this no headphone jack rubbish. I'm hoping that no one buys the new iPhone and they add it back but I'm not holding my breath. The future of iPhones looks grim indeed.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2016-09-07 22:26:43

I hope this finally pushes people to improve bluetooth audio. I wouldn't mind using wireless headphones with my iPhone or any other device if the two issues I outlined above were corrected. I can't stand the horrid 8 KHZ sound when using the microphone and the audio latency. I guess we'll just have to see what happens. Apple did this with the DVD drive and I really didn't care. Then again, I always viewed disks as inferior. Maybe it will just be something that we will get used to. I don't know. I'm sorry for exploding earlier. I'm still annoyed at all this proprietary nonsense and bad planning with a single port. It's just like that MacBook with the one USB C port.

2016-09-07 23:23:13

I paid close to that amount for a wired headset a few years ago. The headset was and is pretty good, but they do or did worked on everything I want to use them on. I guess they will not work on the new IPhone 7. rofl. I really don't like the fact they removed the jack. I do wonder if the camera system of the IPhone 7 plus will over come that for alot of people. Some may choose to take alot of pictures with their phones. As for hooking headphones in to phones, the only use for that is to listen to some stuff. The IPhone has the music app and there is and or was audio games for the IPhone that depends on having no delay over the headphones. If all you do is to talk on it, then headphones are not require, but if you are texting, you might want some hooked in so that you are not overheard when it comes to VO reading what you type. Ugg is pretty much what I got to say about it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2016-09-07 23:23:15

Not impressed.
the apologists say that Apple has done away with the CD drive, the floppy drive, and so on, but these devices had external clones one could plug in to minimize the loss.  IN this case, we're discussing a standard that has held on for roughly 50 years, a standard that Apple actually made famous.  While Sony can boast that it made music portable with walkman devices, Apple introduced the iPod and revolutionized the way we consumed media.  with in just a few years, the concept of not owning a pair of standard earphones became a thing of the past.  My question: why is now the right time?  Why not then?  What is so special about now that it should work so flawlessly?  What am I missing here?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-09-07 23:48:21

I read that removing the headphone jack made the phone more water resistant.
The iPhone 7 will be sold with  a 3.5 mm to lightning adapter for those with headphones.
I use headphones when playing stereo games, but the iPhone 7 will have stereo speakers so the headphones might not be necessary.
It will also have a variable vibration so the vibration pattern might tell you who is contacting you.

2016-09-07 23:56:37

You can make your own vibrations now though I don't think that is the issue. I don't see how that would be any less water resistent than a lightning port though.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2016-09-08 00:18:38

A lightning adapter might present its own set of issues. It will basically be like plugging your wired pair of headphones into a splitter. I'm not sure if this issue is because I have a really old splitter or not, but whenever I've plugged speakers into one especially, the volume was decreased by at least half, and I had to crank the speakers way up to get the same amount of sound out of them. There is also the issue that the audio sometimes crackles and is generally unpleasant to listen to. This adapter seems like it's basically the same concept as a splitter, so who's to say it won't present these issues? Also, there are quite a few situations where this will be an inconvenience at best and a major pain in the ass at worst. Say you're playing an audio game, and your phone is about to die, destroying all the progress you've made. Should you really have to stop playing just because your phone needs to charge? i know, that's a first world problem, but frankly, it's dumb. And then there are privacy issues. Someone talked about texting, and, while I think that's a valid point, the huge elephant in the room is really that, if you're in a location where people might overhear what you're typing, someone very well may be able to sniff out your passwords. And who wants to carry around an extra accessory just so that their logins, banking transactions and so on can be more secure?

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-09-08 00:45:38

Hi,
While I don't agree that the headphone 3.5 Jak should have not been removed, it's good to have a small lightening adaptor that can make all the headphones of the traditional port connect to your iPhone.
Well, iPhone 7 has stereo speakers, one at the bottom, and one at the top. The question is, wouldnt it have been easier for them to integrate the traditional headphone port, instead of adding an extra small speaker?
In my experience, I find stereo speakers on a phone not as useful as they would be on a computer or tablet, since you cannot easily recognise in precise from which speaker is the sound coming. If there exists a theory that the headphone 3.5 jak was removed with the view to making the iPhone slimmer, why is it then, that both iPhone 6 and 6S are 2 MM slimmer, and are built-in with a 3.5 MM jak headphone port?
Beside this change, I love everything else on this iPhone. The battery life is longer, the performance is faster, and there is image stabilisation integrated into the phone which I believe could help me get a better picture quality to scan it then with ABBYY fine reader. Other similar programs could benefit from this feature as well, I think.

2016-09-08 01:14:21

welp, I'm done. When this iPhone craps out on me, I won't be buying another, not a 6s, 6 Se or whatever. I'm not giving my  money to a company that's willing to be this greedy. This  removal of the headphone jack was entirely motivated by greed imo.
First of all, We did it to give you a more water resistant phone guys, We totally care about you! Not true, Sony have been managing to put fully waterproofed headphone jacks on their devices without loozing IP68 certification for quite a while now. Apple could only manage IP67 even without the headphone jack.
Secondly, Our advanced taptech enjin meant that we couldn't fit in the headphone jack and keep the device's thinness (TM)! You guys love thinness (TM) Who want's a big fat old iPhone anyway? Well, funny you should mention that, my device has a hairline crack up the screen from being dropped, the result of thinness (TM) and the raw DropPhoneium that they construct their devices from. I'd have taken an  increase in thickness  any day, Better grippability and more room for battery being far more important to me than having the thinnest  device in the world. Also, Wasn't that advanced vibration enjin thingy in the iPhone 6s? That phone that's... Y'know... Thin, has a headphone jack and is widely being known as being as water resistant as the first apple watch?
Thirdly, Oh The lightningport! It's totally a super cool way of delivering audio! it can do soooooo much! Well, Yeah it can, probably will and has been able to for a long time now. All apple's done here is force everyone into using the damn thing.
Fourth, But... But... We gave you a converter adapter! stop riding our asses already! Remember the old pop ports on nokia phones? Remember how you had to plug that stupid converter in to use 3.5mm headphones? Remember how much of a raging pain in the ass it was? We can now do that again! It's time to party it up like it's 2004.
Fifth, Everyone will have to build their  headphones, wired or wireless using apple patented parts lightning ports, w1 chips, their all gonna get apple a nice little chunk of cash on the side I bet.
Sixth, People will now no longer be able to listen and charge. I mean apple will probably release an adapter that'll allow you to do exactly that, but it'll be an extra that'll cost and your getting charged for something that up until the iPhone 7 you could do without having to put down more money.

This is why I'm done  it just seems like they've amassed a userbase, got them to buy multiple devices, got them locked into the apple ecosystem now cash extraction will begin. Also, The wireless earpods? airpods? Whatever they are called... They sort of look like two tiny penises. I'm sorry, but they do.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2016-09-08 01:34:25

You do know that roomers were abound before today that they were going to do something like this. I guess we will all have to see has much push back this brings over all. Everything else I see on this phone is nice, but still... Anyway, I do not Have to buy this one, and I can always look around. Who knows, in a few years, I may go with endroid.

DropBox Referral

2016-09-08 01:57:29

oh i'd heard. But never really took the rumours as fact. Given the far fetched leaks we've had over the years. But apple's reasons for removeing the headphone jack are BS and the apple apologists attempting to defend apple are spouting BS also. There was no reason for this.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2016-09-08 02:35:34 (edited by Chris 2016-09-08 02:45:58)

Did you all know that those AirPods only last for 5 hours on a charge? That is not $160 material. I purchased a nice over the ear headset for $108 that has bluetooth, a 3.5 mil cable, and a Micro SD card reader. It has a battery rated at around 40 hours which is pretty accurate. In fact, the battery isn't used if you use the AUX cable. Besides, I can't stand earbuds. I heard somewhere that earbuds are bad for your ears anyway. If that is true, what's so great about them? I've always preferred headphones that go over the ears. I wonder if this decision is going to backfire catastrophically? I predicted a major backlash if this were to ever happen and honestly, I didn't think Apple would be stupid enough to pull that move.

2016-09-08 02:52:54

Yep, none of this surprised me and as I figured, most of the changes were under the hood and not huge. No headphone jack is going to tick me off, no matter what the appologists say, though I'm curious to hear what they think. Funny too, how apple didn't mention how they were planning to support people who were concerned about charging and listening to audio through headphones at the same time. $159 for a pair of earbuds? Screw that... I'll stick with my sonys that are half the price and probably sound twice as good. And of course they're going to say the lightning port allows for better audio, because they made the dang thing! There's no proof of that whatsoever, and apple themselves didn't even give facts to back it up. I'm done with the iphone after my 6 dies, or am just going to hunt down another model of the same. This is the biggest gripe that I have, but the pricetag being raised by about $200 for all of them doesn't please me either. Say what you want about storage being doubled meaning more expensive phones... I think that's crap. another pathetic cash grab from apple.

Discord: clemchowder633

2016-09-08 03:11:24

Everyone should know by now, with it's walled garden that Apple is all about loading their products up with proprietary technology to tighten their noose around your neck to trap you in their ecosystem.

Which is not surprising since Apple is slowly losing the mobile market to Android. Then all their iOS devices can take their proper place next to the Macintosh's as also rans.

If I decide to upgrade my 5s it will be to an SE, I don't want a bigger phone, the size of the 5s is perfect. And if I can't get an SE, then I'll be looking at Android or just keeping the 5s. I'll be watching the price of the SE, with the release of the iPhone 7 series, I'm fairly sure the price of the SE will drop, if it does, then it might be worth the upgrade.

To handle privacy with Voice Over, I simply don't do anything on my phone that might reveal personal information I'd rather not share while in public. I just make a reminder note, then wait until I'm in a secure location, such as at home, then take care of those things I didn't want to do in public.

I use my phone as a communication and information device, not for entertainment. So I don't need stereo or earphones and actually have the phone set to mono mode.

Thanks to KNFB Reader's price, I'm already somewhat commited to Apple's ecosystem. I don't suppose my purchase of the iOS version covers both the iOS and Android versions. If I ever have to switch to Android, I won't enjoy paying for KNFB Reader again.

2016-09-08 03:15:40

Wow!

From the way all this feedback about the earphone jack sounds, we might start hearing Crapple instead of Apple, just as we often hear Moneysoft in place of Microsoft.

Gotta laugh!

2016-09-08 03:41:33

Agreed about earbuds in general. Most types don't even fit in my ears, they fall out every half second, and just end up pissing me off. In fact, the Apple ones are the only set I've ever had that don't do this. But there is the fact that they're uncomfortable as hell, since they're made out of hard plastic. Not only are they physically painful to wear for more time than a standard game of archery in Audio Game Hub takes, the noise directly pounding on my eardrums is too overwhelming for me to be able to stand for more than short bursts. I can almost feel the insides of my ears recoiling whenever I wear them. And, no, the sound quality doesn't impress me all that much, either. Give me a nice pair of over the ear headphones any day, and I'm happy.

Besides, the price tag on those airpods is just stupid.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2016-09-08 03:52:40

Then you open your mouth, speak words like crapple, moneysoft, flaws for windows, freedom science fiction, elocrash, and phablet... Listen to the echos of your voice and immediately wish that you hadn't. The shear sillyness you have just heard issue forth from your mouth makes you wish you'd baught a pair of those airpods to jam in your ears to deaden the sound of such terribleness.
tongue
Also, I've been hearing crys of this new dual camera on the 7 plus is going to be some kind of magic bullet for OCR. My question is, in what way. It's gonna allow people to zoom, do fancy postprocessing to blur backgrounds in photos and things like that. But when it comes to OCR? your framing what you want to capture and hitting the button. Optical zoom isn't going to help you here, it's down to the steadyness of your hand and making sure you've got the entire page in shot

2016-09-08 04:29:23

The airpods aren't tied together like a proper set of earbuds anyway.  How long before someone loses one or both of these tiny little things?

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-09-08 04:40:46

Looking to buy: one left airpod. tongue

2016-09-08 06:53:40

hi.
Ok, here is my opinion on this issue.
I personaly don't see what the big fuss is about. To be quite honest, I hardly ever use the 3.5 mil jack on my phone, so this makes no difference to me whatsoever. I could care less what apple did with the jack. As a matter of fact, I think these 3.5 mil things are just old technology. Technology is ever-changing, and we need to except that. We can't stop change, and we can't always get what we want in life, but that's no reason, in my opinion, to stop supporting apple, or their excellent accessibility standerds. It is thanks to them that I have a phone that is accessible, and I am not going to stop supporting them. I will get the new phone as soon as I can, and when something breaks, I am going to willingly pay the money for a replacement.
I have also heard people say that they don't like this change because if their phone goes dead and they are using those headphones, there is no way to plug the charger in, because the lightning port is being used for those headphones. I repeat, this does not matter to me. Even if I did use those headphones, I will make sure my phone is charged before I do anything with them. I'm seriously scared that people are going to stop buying and/or stop supporting apple over a simple little issue like this, and I am very irritated, because I want to see the Iphones continue. I am confident that apple will continue to build accessibility into their products, because they have not let me down yet.
I now close my post by asking this question. If it wasn't for apple, where would we be today? I urge all of you to think about this before we criticize apple on this issue. What is more important to you? Having a phone with all these accessibility features that is useble by us, or not being able to use a simple 3.5 mil headphone jack? I would think it is accessibility.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2016-09-08 07:06:04

You hit the nail on the head though. You are saying that you are perfectly content with the way things stand now. That does not mean, nor should it, that the rest of us should accept the status quo just because it's the latest and greatest.

I have no doubt that others share your view. However, only time will tell whose view is more valuable from a business standpoint.

2016-09-08 07:07:11

I followed the keynote yesterday. And I can only say, that I am very, very disappointed of Apple. Removing the headphone jack was the biggest mistake, they could have ever made. There are a lot of people, who connect their phones through this to their stereo systems, to listen to music. Normally, you could just connect the phone, plug your charger in, and that's it. Now, this is impossible. And I really don't see the inovation here. The only thing I see is, that Apple found a new way of binding their customers even more to themselves. Now, you can't just buy any headset anymore. Now, you have to buy the expensive crap from Apple.
Oh. And while I am talking about expensive crap. Are they serious with these Airpods? I mean, they only have a runtime of barely five hours. And again. They only work with Apple products. I have a bluetooth headset here, that has almost twice as much power.
As you can see, I am pretty annoyed with Apple right now. And I really hope, that no one will buy this new phone. I hope, it will be a fail. But of course I know, that there will be many people, who will get this thing, simply because it's Apple.
I can only hope, that my IPhone SE will still work for many, many years. And after that, well, I will have to look further into Android, I guess...