2016-08-21 15:19:26

@Dark: actually Mushclient has a very nice feature that lets you just create a new world but still using the existing client, but it becomes a clean slate without effecting the Alter world, and you can then import the pluggins you want into that world, such as the screen reader one.

2016-08-21 17:10:19

Hey hey!
I tryed to create an account some hours ago and did not get any emails. Even my spam folder is still empty. How long should i wait?

2016-08-21 17:46:46

Wait one or two hours, then try once again. In which part of the creation process did you stop? Its been a while cinse I've created my account. As
for scripts, the only scripts that we'll need will be triggers to substitute someone's short description with their player name (just like the common
intro command). This is only due to the fact that in sertain situations, like in crowded taverns, the mud can get really spammy.

2016-08-21 18:13:43

Hi Caio,
i entered my accountname and my email. I think, i will wait till tomorrow.

2016-08-21 18:25:30

i think it said it can take up to 48 hours I'm a really bad righter so we'll see how it goes there's lots of great muds out there they just need players this one looks interesting and clearly has a lot of detail behind it!

2016-08-21 20:49:35

Yes, thats correct. You can see that staff really put a lot of work in this particular mud. And if it comes down to it, I could try to talk to staff
about the email not arriving. It shouldn't take that long. Did you use a gmail account?

2016-08-21 23:27:44

No, it is a @gmx.de

2016-08-22 00:07:47

Then I think the message didn't go through. When I first created my acount, I use a g-mail account to register.

2016-08-22 00:49:32

I see them a lot, so, what are mud games? If I recall correctly I think the M stands for multiplayer, does that mean all mud games are multiplayer games?

I also recall that you need some kind of client to play them, are there any good free clients? Or are there any paid for clients that are worth the price, even when comparing them to the better free ones?

I'm not much for multiplayer games, preferring to play against a computer opponent rather than people, but this game sound good enough to entice me to try these types of games, or just this one.

Thanks, in advance for any information.

2016-08-22 00:57:06

@figment Mud stands for multi user dungeon. Yes, there are a lot of clients, I use vipmud which is shareware and mush client which is free.

2016-08-22 16:17:12 (edited by Figment 2016-08-22 22:10:32)

Why use two clients?

I've read the descriptions of both Mush Client and V I P Mud. V I P Mud sounds like the better choice because it's designed for visually impaired users, while Mush Client requires add ons to improve its accessibility. Other than being free, what does Mush Client offer that makes it worth choosing over a client designed for visually impaired users?

2016-08-22 22:31:03

Its scripting language seems to be more developed then Vipmud's and triggers will be needed to play the game properly. I can send the link to the
mush client addons, if you guys want.

2016-08-22 23:04:49

@Aaron, that is very good to know, I wasn't aware it was quite that easy to uncoouple MushZ from alteraeon.

@Figment a mud is a multiplayer real time text game.
You connect to a mud server somewhere and text is sent to your computer via a client in real time which describes the surroundings of your character and what is going on. Text wise it's similar to interactive fiction games like Zork, eg, you walk around a series of rooms with directional commands and use "get and "take and inventory as such, but the games are very different firstly since most muds tend to be either roleplaying or rpg based with heavy statistical combat and other activities, and secondly that being real time events keep happening whether you type or not.
so for example you might walk into a room and see a description, like
"You are in a small cramped cell with a wrack in one corner with a prisoner tied to it and pools of stagnent water across the stone floor"

However if a goblin entered the cell and attacked you the combat would be automatic and you'd continually get messages like
"You swing at the goblin and hit, the goblin swings at you, you have some nasty wounds and bruises" etc.

This does mean you need a client that will automatically read incoming speech as quickly as possible, and give you the best ability to respond similarly quickly.
some games have low spam modes for visually impared players, but others don't, it doesn't sound like harshlands does.

Clients also let you program certain aspects and behaviours, so for example triggers can automatically have the client type a command when you enter a room, in the above example for instance you might have a trigger that whenever the text "you have some nasty wounds and bruises" appears, automaticaly types 

"Cast cure light wounds"

Personally,I am not interested in reprogramming an entire interface for a game, and any mud that is so spammy, ie, has such lengthy text as to mean I can only be on equal footing with sighted players by intensive programming and knolidge of the mud's original commands is not a mud I'm interested in, indeed those muds mentioned in the database such as materiamagica, aardwolf, clok and several others which will get pages  such as frandom, fluxworld, wayfare1444, empire  and avalon are games which have lower spam modes for Vi players or other settings that make them equally playable out of the box without extra programming, heck, some just have less quick combat rounds that mean they can be played at a reasonable pace big_smile.

I'm sorry to hear harshlands doesn't have this. I might try the game at some point, but I would rather the developers were actually programming access into their game, though perhaps if I tried it I might have some suggestions that wouldn't require every player to effectively write their own interface.

On the plus side, there are lots of really great muds that do! have incredibly good access, or can be played equally well without, whether Harshlands falls into the latter category I don't know, though from  Caio's comments I'm not sure.

Btw, Alteraeon is one exception. Though it is a mud, a combination of help from the creator and a huge amount of work on the part of Oriol Gomez and others have created a custom client for the game called MushZ. nominally based on Mushclient but effectively a stand alone system for just runing alter. This has been designed to effectively turn Alteraeon into a full scale audio mmorpg with background music, sounds for in game events, and a huge! amount of custom functions and scripting.

I'd recommend alter to anyone, as a detailed rpg with quests and combat and exploring, pvp and grouping if those are your thing, though bare in mind Alteraeon with MushZ is not really an exclusive experience of a mud since most muds don't have any sounds at all, much less so many sounds they're virtually an audiogame.

I offer this warning since lots of newbies start on Alteraeon since it's a highly well run and newbie friendly mud, then get disappointed with other perfectly good muds which don't have sounds.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-08-23 00:46:25

Thanks, Dark! That was what I needed. Like you, I'm not interested in having to write a bunch of code to play a game, and I don't care for ggames that are so heavy on role playing that you end up spending more time managing your character's stats than actually playing the game.

Being an avid reader, sound effects in a game would be nice, but story telling is always more important. I'm a huge fan of the Infocom adventures, especially the original Zork trilogy. That was and still is my favorite interactive fiction game.

From what you've said, I believe I'll start with Mush Client since I don't want to spend any money yet on a genre I may end up not liking.

That said, where can I find the needed add ons to make it more accessible when using JAWS?

2016-08-23 13:20:58

@dark I've talked with the admins about accessibility, Dark. The problem isn't that they aren't willing to do it the problem is that they don't seem
to know how to ad an intro feature to the game, thats the only acessibility issue. Further more, they did mentioned to me that most players do use
triggers to play, so we wouldn't be doing anything different. @figment rp isn't just setting states, is as the name says playing a role, playing as
if you really were your character. I'll send the link to download the addons in a bit.

2016-08-24 22:49:54

okay, I am very confuzzeled. I created a character and entered the game, but I get no direction what soever about how to start earning money or join a guild or anything. I did some help file browsing, but I couldn't find too much useful info in those.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2016-08-25 04:46:50

Try checking their homepage, it has lots of usefull info there.

2016-08-25 10:19:26

hi all, do you using which program for harshlands? I tried mush-z client, but i can't connect.
greetings.

2016-08-25 15:54:00

Why are you unable to connect? Have you created a new world for it?

2016-08-25 17:22:15

Its time for some links, people. First, the links to the mush z pluggins which you'll need to add to your world
https://www.dropbox.com/s/99zagjgw6ifkr … s.xml?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9f99hd3caywy … r.zip?dl=0
And last but not least the link to Harshlands web page:
http://www.harshlands.net/

2016-08-27 07:01:46

@Figment, Vipmud from Gma games can actually be used for free, it's just that the paid version has the miner restriction that you can't use msp, which is a way of playing sounds in certain muds, it also logs you out after two hours, though you can usually just log back in. I used it free for quite some time.
Your welcome to try mushclient, many people prefer it, just if your avoiding Vipmud for reasons of payment that's probably not a good idea.

I confess roleplay isn't my thin in muds either, most of the muds I play tend to be either the rpg combat heavy ones like alteraeon and aardwolf, or the ones that offer lots of interesting activities like clok which has crafting and exploring the wilderness and logging and all sorts of other things. how much harshlands is rp enforced and how much based on it's activities I don't know.

If your into the infocom adventures though Figment, I'd recommend Frandom, it's heavily based on exploring, doing quests and earning achivements, though it has a little combat and some other in game aspects that wouldn't have been seeen in the infocom days. Also I'd recommend alteraeon on general principles as just an awesome audio rpg with the MushZ addon and a down right well crafted game.

@Kaio, if people are using triggers to play the game out of preference fair enough, however I'm a little concerned if triggers are a must! for combat. I was rather putoff a couple of other muds for this reason, I attempted to play, found the games text too spammy for me to keep up with but was told "oh just write some triggers" which was a major putoff since I was just trying the games ut.
I don't mind if people make triggers as an extra, but I don't like the idea if the game is too spammy to actually be  played without. Most games are okay, even combat heavy ones like Aardwolf, but a couple just aren't.

As to how to create less spammy combat, simply let players adjust the prompt, and abbreviate the information.

For example instead of
"the goblin swings at you with it's onyx axe, it hits doing 15 damage, you have a few cuts and bruises, you attack the goblin, your sword cleaves through the air, you hit and do 10 damage, the goblin is injured"
Just have "the goblin swings at you and hits, you swing at the goblin and hit, the goblin is injured"
and let players customize their prompt to show changes in hp or have commands like hp and cn that give instant readouts of you and the enemy's condition.
Six dragons does an absolutely amazing job of this, though it is not the only game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2016-08-27 07:35:23

@Dark The problem isn't per si with combat. In fact, combat there works very well, its very detailed. The problem is that the game uses a long
description system (a long-haired light-skinned blue-eyed man). In some situations, this gets too spammy specially when there are many players like
in a crowded tavern, for example. Thats why triggers are necessary to substitute the long descriptions for the players names.

2016-08-27 07:36:35

And isn't clok a rp enforced mud, too? Now I'm curious.

2016-08-29 16:11:20

yes clok  is rp enforced. i'm rather confused how do errands work? I'm still trying to set my character up with the things he would logically have  but i ran out of moneys any advice?

2016-08-29 16:23:48

@valmorian errands are used with the crafts command. To do an errand, ou'll need some itens. Not necessarilly purchased, sometimes you just need to
find the right room to do the herrand. Ask on chelp chelp <message>