2016-08-29 15:42:46

I decided to revisit this game.

This time, the downloaded zip file with the update was where the game said it would be. Possible UAC interference last time?

The BGT file I saw last time never showed up, or maybe it was a temporary file that hadn't been deleted? No clue, and not going to worry about it..

I noticed in your readme file that the only supported screen reader is NVDA and SAPI. Really? I'd call that a slap in the face to users of every other screen reader and is rather close minded. Especially when you consider that it might actually work with other screen readers by simply setting SAPI as the default.

Other screen reader users could switch off SAPI if they want to try it with their screen reader. As stated in the readme, the game becomes unresponsive when JAWS is running, but with very little work that most JAWS users will already know how to do, it could be made to work. First the game needs to be set to use SAPI from outside the game, better yet you could distribute the game already set up to use SAPI. Then all JAWS users would have to do is create application settings for the game and enable suspend mode.

So the problem now is how to configure the game to use SAPI from outside the game.

2016-08-29 20:19:46

hi figment,
I did try with jaws, and the results were rather interesting.
For me anyway, and even with other games, jaws would randomly interrupt for new items spoken, other times it wouldn't.
I guess what I can do to fix this problem is either use self voiced menus and prompts, or use sapi voicing, and include a link to get eSpeak, that way your not stuck with microsoft Anna if your on windows 7 like I am.
And yeah, windows 7 file permissions didn't really come to mind when I was fixing up the installer version since I primarily tested and used the portable version.
This project will stay as is for spoken feedback, but I will fix the updater.
In future, I think I will only support sapi voices or self spoken prompts.
Thanks for your feedback figment. I really appreciate it no sarcasm or offense intended.

---
Email through the forum is welcome. Twitter: @phCrafting website: www.phantomcrafting.com
---

2016-08-29 22:50:35

Ever since I got Code Factory's Eloquence for SAPI, I don't really mind SAPI anymore because now it sounds like JAWS. Besides, I really believe that Eloquence is the best TTS voice available.

Can you or anyone else tell me how I might get the game to use SAPI without having to run it? Or how about a list of keystrokes to press once the game has started? Does it store that information in an ini file or the registry? I can't run the game with JAWS running, and without JAWS there's no voice to guide me.

I'd really like to try this game.