2016-06-16 11:50:32

Hey everyone! I wanted to talk about something I started a long time ago, but hasn't gotten attention until recently.

Recently I did an AMA on Reddit that can be found here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ … ot_by_his/

For those that aren't familiar with Reddit, AMA stands for ask me anything. Basically I post about myself, and then people ask me questions and I answer them. Now onto how this relates to Pokemon.

I created this subreddit a while back, but it never received much attention. The subreddit is called /r/blindpokemon. The goal of this subreddit is for sighted people to works together to make complete walkthroughs for all the Pokemon games.
I know many of us have beaten the games, but wouldn't it be nice to play without running around bumping into walls? I know Tyler made Crystal Access, but I have news. A few of the people over in /r/blindpokemon are experienced hackers and are looking into hacking into another game and doing something similar to what Tyler did. Don't get your hopes up yet, but kinda get your hopes up haha.
Another goal of these walkthroughs is so that people who aren't familiar with Pokemon can pick up a game and learn how to play, and on the go as well!

Here's the link to the subreddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/blindpokemon

Please, create an account and thank these guys for everything they're doing. Let me know here and on /r/blindpokemon your thoughts on this project.

2016-06-16 13:01:42

aha ross!
keep the good work man!
because pokemon is my favourite subjects for RPG style.
Thanks
Ishan

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-06-16 13:50:26

Hi
woo, This sounds very interesting, I love Pokémon.
thanks you for the information.
greetings.

sorry my english, is not my native language.

2016-06-16 14:23:05

Hi.  This is excellent news !  I'm praying for access to either Ruby  or Sapphire one day.

2016-06-16 14:31:44 (edited by ross 2016-06-16 15:38:24)

@dan_c

Be sure to head on over and let me know what you think. They would love to hear from everyone.

2016-06-16 16:56:19

Hmm  this sounds really, really good. I have to go to the subredit to see what things are doing these people :3

But, if  they can create a script, like the script for cristal to other pokemon games, specially the games of third and fourth generation, this will be a great, great achievement for them, and us.

Thanks for share this with us. This will be in the future a very well project.

¡thanks for all!

2016-06-16 17:21:37

Man, I just want to tell you how much this whole project means to me! I've never been one to show my excitement or appreciation for something in this direct of a manner, but I believe this has a lot of potential. Pokemon is one of those games that has plenty of replay value. Not to mention that it just brings back so many nice memories from the past. I've been wanting to create a Reddit account for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it. This definitely influences that decision though. I see you're part of the BlindPokemon Dropbox folder too, so I definitely look forward to some of the conversations there. Yeah. I remember spending hours upon hours playing Pokemon with a buddy of mine who would always do the story line playing, and I would do the listening, all the while we would collaborate to train our party together. I remember we played through Red, Blue, Yellow, all the way to about Diamond and Pearl. Then, I lost contact with him. But I continued with Platinum, Black/White, and stopped there since there wasn't anyone who shared my excitement for the game. Now, unfortunately, I don't have time at all to dedicate to playing those games, much less to figure them out. However, given the recent projects like Braillemon, Crystal Access project, and heck, even CrazyParty that offers a Pokemon-style battling system, we're finally getting some success in complete independence in Pokemon game playing. Also, I read on your Reddit that you're hosting your website and stuff on a Raspberry Pi? Perhaps you could consider hosting it on an official server or something to guarantee consistency and better uptime. Technical stuff set aside, I would be more than happy to give you access to a server of mine or something to do such a thing to try to establish a centralized portal for blindness-specific Pokemon stuff. Just let me know through PM or something. Thanks again for getting this started. Now, I can get my notes out from back when I used to play and see if I can get someone sighted to give me explicit directions to parts of the games I still have lying around. smile

2016-06-16 17:44:45

@kaigoku

I totally agree. Definitely make an account and post on the sub, I'm sure they would love to hear from you. There are already over 400 subscribers. Of course not all of them are going to be making walkthroughs, but still. I'll think about the server thing for sure.

2016-06-16 18:09:40

This is a big step forward. I made a reddit account just for this lol. Will post there soon. Getting a walkthrough for oras would be nice.

2016-06-16 18:33:35

@arqmeister
I do too. I've beaten the game, but it would be nice to redo it more smoothly. Someone mentioned they wanted to do an ORAS walkthrough, but go over there and make your voice heard smile

2016-06-16 18:58:11

Nice. I will surely be taking a look at this.

You can add me on Steam.
Here is my Twitch profile page Follow me if you want.
You can also follow me on Twitter.
Kong!

2016-06-16 19:55:31

At ross, i've beat the game as well. But of course, it's nice not bumping to walls all the time, or wondering how the hell you just got through victory road by yourself lol.

2016-06-16 20:10:13

@arqmeister
Haha, I actually had an easy time with victory road. However, I could never ever tell you how I managed to find the bicycle shop lol.

2016-06-17 05:03:56

Can I join the folder?

2016-06-17 05:15:04

hi hi. I just started on a walk-through for Pokemon Pearl/Diamond. I can't really go any further without some input though.

Super long walkthroughs are hard to refer to, so I am following Ross' example in my short example below.

However, would anyone be interested in having a companion guide that's much more descriptive with story and characters?

Please review and/or comment.

link
https://www.reddit.com/r/blindpokemon/c … ad/d4cjo4s

2016-06-17 17:46:51

Just an update because I forgot to mention it before. The progress that we've made on the games can be found on my website at this link:

http://rossman.ddns.net/pokemon.htm

2016-06-17 22:38:03

Update
Currently working on a web based fly map for Diamond and Pearl. All the cities are down and the routes and areas are being worked on. What we have so far can be found here:
http://rossman.ddns.net/DPFlyMap.htm

2016-06-18 14:41:35

I'm actually stuck on a level currently, but these walkthroughs can help me in the team rocket base.

2016-06-18 16:57:53

Out of interest, when you give directions such as left and right, do you normally mean all the way to that direction unless you specify otherwise ?

2016-06-18 17:42:57

@dan_c
Yes, I believe I mentioned that in the Soul Silver walkthrough.

2016-06-18 21:11:08

I'll go give that subreddit a look and probably subscribe to it.  Nice work.

2016-06-18 21:34:29

@blindndangerous
Awesome, thanks! Feel free to make a post announcing your present or something like that. It seems I'm currently the only active blind person as of now, I'm wanting to change that. Definitely chime in the discussion we have when creating new sections.

2016-06-22 02:29:44

I love how accidentally playable these games are by default. I'd love to see more people get involved with this!

2016-06-22 13:08:25

I did Ross.  We'll see if what I said could happen.  Like I said, the groundwork is already there.

2016-06-22 13:14:37

Hi. I think it might be a good idea to get walkthroughs for some of the more complicated dungeons up. For example, some of the team aqua magma hideouts in oral, or reflection cave in x and y. While certainly doable, it would be nice to have step by step directions so we don't have to spend hours in one spot lol. I'm not sure where or what i could post to make some of this stuff happen as soon as possible, but what i have noticed, it that ideas like this come up, and quickly die out because there either isn't enough interest, or no-one posts the appropriate requests on places like reddit or gamefaqs. Just putting that out there, post in more places guys, i'm sure there are plenty of willing sighted people willing to help us out if we post properly and explain what we want clearly.