2018-05-24 07:07:11

if the big man himself isn't about later i'll go have a look. I do seem to remember there's a knack to that but i'll admit I haven't used it since a few us were testing it a year or 2 back.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-05-24 08:10:22

That would be much appreciated. The tutorials, to me at least, aren't very  clear on that. Of course I understand that we're still in prototype stages so I'm trying not to gripe too much. One also gets the feeling that English wasn't the author's first language which of course isn't their fault.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-05-24 10:52:32

Sorry about the confusion Bryan. You are quite right, the tutorials are a bit outdated. The G D E went through an update that allowed for users to share their projects with each other easier, but this made a chage to how you start a project and this isnt highlighted in the tutorials. They will be updated in the next few days.

Before you could simply open the G D E and start a project and then save it. Now however you must create a new project straight away and save it, then you may proceed to work on it.

So yo clarify. Open the G D E and select new project and save it somewhere. Then you can continue as normal.

This alteration was made so audio file paths could be loaded in relative to the projects location. Meaning if a man named steve saved an audio file in his documents that was used by his project. Then sent that project to dave. When dave opened the poject it wouldnt be looking for steve documents. It would look for everything it needed in the folder that the project file was in.

I hope this at least gives some clarity to things. I will rewrite the tutorials as soon as I can. Thank you for that feedback

2018-05-24 13:20:49

Thanks. That does seem to have cleared up the issue. It's good to know the tutorials will be updated to reflect this. This at least gives me something to start with. As I said I know it may be a bit premature given the fact that we can't yet get our grubby little paws on Sonuses yet, but I figure it can't hurt to play around with the development environment beforehand and see if it's really my thing. If nothing else I can create my own interpretations of the tutorial games.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2018-05-24 14:07:13

I do seem to be running into another problem though. I manage to create a game object and add a variable, but I have a problem with adding events. I select Creation, then add action to try to set the TTS channel. Unfortunately when I set the TTS channel and then add the message I want the game to output. I also make sure the Self button is checked, but when I hit Submit I get an error that says check input data is not blank or invalid. I hit Ok and I'm back in the add action menu with the values specified by the tutorial. I can't seem to go beyond this point.

2018-05-24 19:04:01

Are you accidently trying to put your message in the channel text field I wonder? the channel should be a number and will not like any letters entered into it. I have just tried the TTS action myself and it worked without a problem, so perhaps the instructions are not clear enough.

We need to set the Text into a channel with the Set TTS Channel action and then play that channel using the Play TTS action.

I feel like I need a medium dedicated to helping and talking to developers. this way we can quickly work our way through these issue. And maybe perhaps somewhere people can send me their projects for me to look at so i can help them better.

I appreciate your patience Bryan, its a work in progress but we will get there.

2018-05-24 19:24:53

Nope, I put the speech text in the speech field and the 0 in the channel field. But when I hit submit I get the error message.

2018-05-24 19:28:55

Does the speech include any commas? or special characters that could be removed. when the project is in its built form some special characters can cause parsing issues so I create a data validation function to check for them in the G D E.

2018-05-24 19:31:55

Hmmm, there was a comma and an exclamation point. I guess I could see what happened if I removed those.

2018-05-24 19:53:48

Well, I managed to get everything set right and even managed to test it.

2018-05-24 21:42:12

Just curious, how the console looks like right now?
All the ports and everithing.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-05-24 22:54:30

Some designs will be presented to me in a week or so. I have a meeting scheduled for that. There will be a usb port, volume wheel, headphone jack, ethernet port and power socket along the back. Rubber membrane buttons, 4 directional and 5 action. Unsure on the placement of pause button at the moment. And battery pack for 6 double A batteries.

2018-05-25 00:17:52

Is there any idea how much this console will cost?

2018-05-25 07:50:11

wow. An ethernet port? Does that mean support for multiplayer games?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-05-25 09:35:36

I definitely think I want to get my grubby little paws on one of these. Now that I seem to be getting at least something of a hang on the development environment, at least in terms of its most basic capabilities, I might be able to contribute some of the ideas I've had over the years. I do wonder if it can handle things like game menus and saving and loading your progress in games. I'm also curious how you would add music to your game. I assume that would be considered part of the play audio function?

2018-05-25 09:47:22

It can definitly handle menus. Ive made plenty myself. There is even a demo called banaza on youtube that demonstrates a character select menu. Saving and loading games have their own actions to make it easy. Simply use the save game action and all your progress is saved. Same for loading.

The sonus can handle 16 audio tracks being played at once. No reason one cant be background music. It my own project I even have a game object that is dedicated to just playing background music and looping it.

The cost is unsure at the moment, i dont have a breakdown of materials and labour/manufacturing cost yet.

2018-05-25 09:50:43

Regarding the ethernet port. This was designed to allow the sonus to be updated. Multiplayer isnt natively built it. However an action is planned to allow developers to run their own python scripts. Which means the possibility isnt ruled out. And perhaps future updates could look to making it a native feature

2018-05-25 10:08:46

Yeah but tethering such a small device to a somewhat heavy in the way cable and being restricted in that way when using a handheld is kinda weird isn't it?
I guess you've already made the build specs up so changing it now would just piss everyone off, but I thought even the tiny little boards like 4 by 3 now had WiFi, I mean considering that cellphones do it makes sense that they would...
If it was only updates than I'd say just do USB connection to the computer or load onto SD but I'm sure you thought of that, however since multiplayer is being made a possibility (appreciated by the way) than an on device connection makes more sense.
Thing is though, unless the WiFi card draws allot of power, even a nano one running on single band AC (I think AC takes less power) than I don't know why it couldn't be put in, aren't they like, the size of your pinky tip now?
It's not like the card has to be turned on all the time, maybe only when connecting to a service that uses it, and you could maybe put a txt on the sd or use some kind of computer program to add the network address, since that wouldn't be doable with the buttons unless you put in some kind of ancient texting style scrolling interface for choosing letters and numbers...
I wouldn't mind paying 10 15 more bucks for that my self.

2018-05-25 11:42:47

I never even thought of the notion of creating a specific object for handling music but that does make sense. So it sounds as though physically the Sonus is going to look like a GameBoy or something.

2018-05-25 13:33:29

Yes something like that but with much better audio quality that a gameboy lol. Thanks for the feedback and using the G D E bryan. I've already got a small list of things to address just on your small experience with it alone. If anyone else is playing with it and has questions or feedback I would love to hear from you.

You also raise some good points defender. Alterations can still be made as the end product is not yet finalized and its worth taking more time to make sure its done right. I will look further into the possibility of wifi

2018-05-25 13:58:06

Wifi would certainly be more convenient if it could be implemented. As for the audio quality I can certainly believe that if that sample game is anything to go on! I'll say this much, even as mathematically inept as I tend to be, the GDE interface makes much more sense to me than the Blastbay Game Toolkit.

2018-05-26 17:46:03

Some notes while I was looking at the GDE and tutorials:
When creating a new project, there's a typo. The window says "New Projet?" That should be New Project". Many dialogs have a questionmark in the title. As the title of the window, it doesn't need the questionmark, since the application is asking a question beneath that title.
When adding a new variable, the button to exit that dialog is labeled as cancelled. I think it'd be more user friendly to label it as Close. Cancel seems to imply that you're closing the dialog box and undoing any changes you might've made. If at all possible, it'd also be nice to just tap escape to back out of that variables window.
In the Add Actions Dialog, when selecting Set TTS, one of the prompts that pops up is Speech, while the other one is TTS Channel. It might be more user friendly to label the speech prompt as TTS Message, that way it coincides with TTS Channel.
The online tutorials do need some spell checking. Are there any plans to open up the tutorial documents for community contributions?

The project is looking great, but I do have some questions that I don't know if they were answered somewhere:
1. Is there any content encryption for the game packages?
2. What are the hardware specs slated to be? Would be nice to know how much RAM the game has to load data, etc.
3. I know that 4 of the buttons are set up as a directional array, but how are the remaining five buttons laid out? Is one of them suitably positioned for the archetypal Start button?
4. I forget what kind of batteries you're planning for the Sonus. Is it planned to take standard store shelf batteries, or are you planning a proprietary battery pack?
5. I'm a person who really likes nice looking devices. What is the Sonus slated to look like? Will it have curves and flare, or will it be a minimalist design?
6. What are the maximum audio specs supported, and what formats are we expecting? Will the GDE do a custom compression of content to embed encryption, or will it stick with wav? Ogg? MP3?

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2018-05-26 18:55:53

I have just made a list off the the points you have mentioned Xoren and I cant disagree with any of them. They are all very helpful to make things easier for everyone and I will get onto them as soon as I can.  Thank you, this is greatly apreciated.

I would be very happy with community contribution. I would like to get the community as involved as I can but at the moment I havent put any thought into how I could achieve this and with what medium. I would also like to setup an area where I can talk with developers more to offer greater support and maybe a place for people to share their projects with each other.

To answer you questions:
1. There is a serial key on every game to stop the game being played on any other Sonus other than the one it was downloaded/purchased for. This is an attempt to combat piracy and protect developers work. The key will be generated by the sonus play store when it opens.
2. There will be about 1GB of RAM available which should be plenty for loading OGG files.
3. The 5 remianing buttons are all placed together to act as action buttons. there is a line of 3 below a line of 2. The 2 top buttons are positioned inbetween the 3 bottom ones.
4. Standard store bought AA batteries
5. The first stage concept designs have not yet been put forward to me but will be next thursday.
6. The sonus plays OGG files for games but the device also can act as a media player to play MP3 files, so it can act as an audio book reader or music player.

2018-05-28 13:17:12

Can’t we use rechargeble batterys insted of double a ones?

2018-05-28 13:36:26 (edited by defender 2018-05-28 13:37:34)

On one hand you could do that and charge through USB which would be nice, but on the other hand you would have to replace that battery eventually and who knows how hard that might be especially if you don't live near him, plus you wouldn't have it during that time.
But on the other you could just use rechargeable double A batteries and a wall charger...
Personally I would still prefer a battery pack that can charge via USB my self, unless charging double A's with a USB while in a unit is possible now?